Namjoon

Single Dads

One day I was a 22 year old student, worried about finishing my final year before grad school, the next I was a father. 

When she told me she was pregnant I was prepared to make it work. We'd get married, fins a house, I'd forgo my Yale scholarship and find a school closer to here to get a masters degree. We'd live happily ever after. It was sooner than I thought, but we'd make it work...

She had a different idea of how life would go. She didn't want to be a mother now...or ever...

She thought we had relationship probelms that were far passed fixing. She said I put school before her and that it would never change.

I was doing all of this for her...working hard so that we could have a secure future...

Maybe I was ignoring her to further my academics, but I thought she understood...

We orginailly decided to give our daughter up for adoption to a loving 2 parent family...but when I saw her for the first time, I knew I could never give her up.

Her mother gave me the choice of our relationship or our daughter...and I chose the latter...

She walked out of that hosptal and never came back to even see her... and I was never more grateful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 years Later

"APPAAAAAAAAA" Haejoon screamed as she ran towards the sound of the smoke alarm "HALMEONI TOLD YOU NOT TO USE THE STOVE!!!!!!!!"

"It's just our Saturday special!" I yelled as I fanned the smoke away from the alarm, "It's okay!"

"YOU'RE GOING TO BURN THE HOUSE DOWN AGAIN!!!!"

One time...One time I left pasta on the stove for too long and it scorched the kitchen... ONE TIME

"It's fine, Haejoon, I'm just making sure our ramen has that signature charred flavor in the broth."

"Appa..." she started, "you forgot to put in the broth."

I looked down at the pot to see that she was right... I was cooking ramen noodles and seasoning powder with no water on the stove.

"That's how you cook it!" I told her as I scrambled to get water in the pan, "You add the water later!"

"Even I know that's not how to cook ramen on the stove... and I'm not even allowed to use the stove!" she said as she headed over to the fridge. "I'm just going to eat leftovers..." 

She grabbed some takeout from the fridge and sat down to watch tv.

I have an advanced degree and can't even cook a meal for my daughter... what kind of a life have I doomed her too?

I didn't realize I spoke that last sentence out lound until Haejoon turned around laughing and smiled at me...

"I'm just doomed to a life of takeout Appa...but I wouldn't trade that for a different Appa ever!!!!"