Phone Calls

I Never Understood

 

Thursday Night around supper time
Minji POV

Today had been a pretty slow, boring, rainy day. Whenever it rains I don’t know why but I seem to become like a sloth, too lazy to move. So I’ve been lying sprawled out on the couch in front of the television that I’ve been too lazy to get up and turn on for a good portion of the day. The most productive thing that I did since I woke up this morning was memorize the alphabet backwards, which in life doesn’t really help you so some might not see it as productive... but anyways. Normally when I’m this bored I would have just gone over and hung out with Doojoon, but I still can’t get over the milk thing...and it would involve getting up...but the milk incident is the main reason I swear. Just then as I let out a yawn my cellphone began to vibrate on the coffee table. I stared at it for a good six seconds or so before picking it up and answering.

“Hello?”
“We-Hi-Minji-Guys shu- ughh” replied a variety of different voices that I knew all to well.
“Dongwoon I do believe you haven’t had a turn to speak yet” Yeah them all calling and all talking at once had become a natural thing since they’ve started calling at around lunch time tomorrow asking me if I wanted to go anywhere in particular, see a certain sight.  Now they call and I just choose who gets to talk.
“Thank you. Okay, so we are going to Hyunseungs cottage” Dongwoon said.
“And where is that?”
“About a two hour drive from here. We’ll be taking a bus most of the way and then a cab. His cottage is next to a lake so we can go swimming, and there are three rooms so two will sleep in Hyunseungs room, two in his parents room, two in the living room on the couches, and you will sleep in his younger sisters room.” He explained.
“Sounds like a plan, but why are we taking a bus and cab?”  I asked
“Well because none of us has our license...”
“I have mine. I can drive, save us all money on a bus ticket and cab fare”
“Yah Doojoon! Minji has her licenses and you don’t that’s doesn’t make you look to good” Dongwoon laughed.
“I wouldn’t have had it either but my dad made me get my international driving license when I was here last summer.”
“Ahhh I see. You’re still cool Doojoon-hyung” Dongwoon said.
“Let me see the phone” i heard my cousins voice say
“Hey Minji said it was my turn” Dongwoon said defensively.
“Give him the phone please Dongwoon” I laughed.
“Okayyyy”
“Hey Minji?”
“Yeah Doojoon?”
“Are you sure you want to come on this trip. I mean what if your dad comes home...”
“It’s only for a night. Plus he hasn’t called so as far as I know he isn’t coming home this week...” just then my home phone starting ringing. “...end...well that’s weird...”
“Other phone is ringing is it?”
“Yes...” I answered still looking like a deer caught in headlights at the phone.
“I’ll let you go, it might be him. If your coming just come over we’ll try to get our manager to lend us the van”
“Sounds good. See you guys tomorrow”
“Bye” he said hanging up.

I put my cell phone on the table and looked at the home phone again. It just kind of took me by surprise, the home phone hadn’t rung at all since I’ve been here and to be honest I didn’t even know we had a phone, but there it was sitting on the small bookshelf. After snapping out of my thought I realized I had let the phone ring for a while. I quickly got up and bolted over to the bookshelf before the person on the other end hung up and picked it up.
“Hello?”
“Minji?”
“Dad! Oh my goodness how are you?” I said excitedly. I rarely ever got calls from him when he was working unless he had something important to say.
“I’m good. It’s nice to hear your voice” he chuckled. “How has your visit home been so far? Are you able to see Doojoon a lot?”
“Yeah I get to see him a lot now that we live across the street from him. We are actually planning on going to Hyunseung, one of the guys in his group, cottage on Friday over night”
“Oh that sounds like it will be fun”
“Yeah I’m excited for it. So is there any reason you are calling?” I asked. I never asked him if he was coming home whenever he called. I never wanted him to know how much I wanted to see him. I didn’t want him to feel guilty for not seeing me as much as a father should so I would always just ask why he called and silently hoped he would say he’s coming home.
“Well I just wanted to call and see how you are doing, especially with the move.”
“Oh the move was a little surprising but I’m slowly getting used to it.”
“I’m glad. So yeah... oh! I’ll be coming home tomorrow and probably be staying till at least Wednesday”
“Seriously! That’s great dad!” I said doing a little happy dance. “I’ll have to call Doojoon and let him know I can’t make it tomorrow”
“No, no, you go and have fun. I’ll still have some paper work to do so while you are with your friends I’ll finish it up so we’ll have the rest of time to spend together.”
“Okay, sounds good to me” I said with a laugh. I really wanted to see him as soon as possible but if I did it might have made it obvious that I really missed him and I made a promise to drive I guess...
“Well I have to go to one last meeting. I’ll see you on Saturday”
“See you soon Dad”
“Bye Minji”
“Bye” I said hanging up.

It had been only four months since I last saw my dad. Luckily he had work to do over in California so he was able to stop by for a few days. I treasured every moment I had with my father. I spent the rest of the day making sure everything was clean and tidy, not that it was all that messy to begin with. Then I went to my room and pulled out my carry-on suitcase. I wouldn’t need a lot for a night. Just a change of clothes, a bathing suit, a towel, pajamas, and obvious necessities like my tooth brush. When I finished packing I placed my bag by the door. I then walked back into the kitchen area and grabbed a notepad and pen from what we called “the junk drawer” which is just a drawer in the kitchen where we put random things that really have no place. I sat down at the table and started writing.

Dear Dad,
I’m really happy that you are home and wish I could be here to really welcome you home, but I’m excited to be going on the trip with Doojoon and everyone. I’ll see you Saturday. Take care of yourself.
Love your daughter Minji <3

I reread over the note before placing it neatly back onto the table. I looked over at the clock as I let out a yawn. It read 11:52pm. I walked over to the table and picked up my phone there was a text. I opened it and saw it was from Yoseob letting me know that they finally convinced their manager to lend them the van for the trip and that we were probably want to go around eight-thirty. I quickly replied to let them know that it I’d be there at eight-twenty-five before I went and got ready for bed. 



 

Hahahaha okay so I'm confused, apparently there are multiple ways to spell pajamas....
Anyways hope you guys like the new update.
TRIP TOMORROW! (for Minji,update will be up in a few days) 
KAY SO
HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!
I hope the new year brings you all happiness and tons of new experiences :D.
Feel free to leave comments about what you did new years eve, and new year resolutions :)
Also if you comment I would appreciate it if you either wrote  'Purple' or 'White'
I'm debating on doing something in the story but dont know if I should
so its in your guys hands! And chances hands... 
But yeah...time for bed :D.
Byebye(:

AND HELLO NEW SUBSCRIBERS :DDD.
Thanks for subscribing :D.