Time of the Month

I Never Understood

 

I woke up the next morning with a huge stomach cramp. I rolled off my bed, bent over in half clutching my stomach and slowly made my way to the bathroom. Yes, yes, it was that time of the month. I don’t know why but I always got really sick whenever it was time for my period. I made my way back to my room, flopped on my bed and curled myself into a ball. No sooner did I finally just get comfortable did my phone ring. At first I let it ring till it stopped, then the person called again so I let out a groan and reached over for the phone, clicking talk and putting it up to my ear.

“Hello?”
“Yah Minji, when do you think you are coming over” Doojoons energetic voice said on the other end.
“About that....”
“Aish, come on you said you would at least loooook” he whined.
“Doojoon is your moms number still the same?”
“Yes...why do you...oh...I see”
“Yeah”
“Well she is visiting a friend today. She lives about an hour away, but if you need...you know...that I can run to the store I guess...”
It was funny enough how his voice changed from being so energetic and whiny to soft and caring but when he offered to go get me ‘that’ I couldn’t help but laugh. Whenever I would stay it his place in past summers whenever his mom or me were on our periods he would never offer to go out and get ‘that’. Actually whenever he sensed it was going to be asked of him he would plug his ears and walk away singing at the top of his lungs.
“Hey now I’m being serious” he said, still softly though the whine did come back.
“You’ve grown up a lot since the last time I saw you, you are more matured, but don’t worry about it your mom must have come in before I arrived in Korea. I should have everything I need.”
“That’s good. Still call her though, or send her a message”
“I will do that as soon as I get off the phone with you”
“Man, now we have nothing to do and Yoseob is already downstairs waiting in the van...ahh but I’m enjoying the peace. He’ll have to notice eventually right?”
“You best call him Yoon Doojoon! Call him as soon as I hang up” I laughed.
“Will do. Bye bye Minji”
“Bye” I said hanging up.

After I hung up I placed my hand on the back of my neck to check my temperature. I was a little warm, but not enough to really worry about. I flipped through my phones contacts until I found Auntie Yoons’ number. I selected message and wrote her a quick note to let her know it was that time of month, but overall my health was fine, letting her know I was only a little warm with a small cramp. I closed my phone and placed it on the bed side table and waited for a reply, but she never responded. After an hour of laying there in pain I made my way to the kitchen opening the cupboards to look for some sort of medication that would help. After about five minutes I found it. I poured myself a glass of water and took the medication. I was on my way back to my room about to turn and enter when I looked over at the door to the room with my moms’ belongings. Instead of turning into my bedroom I continued and opened the door to her room. When I entered the room I felt all their eyes on me. My mom was a big collector of porcelain dolls. I walked towards the shelf in the back of the room. Even though she had maybe over three hundred dolls the one in the back on its own little shelf meant the most to her. It was the first doll she had ever received. Her great-grandmother was ill and only had a few more days to live so she gave it to her mother when she was seven months pregnant to give to her. This doll had been with my mother before the day she was even born. I lifted it gently and placed it on the small desk that my mother used to draw by the window and sat down in front of it.

“Hello Haruka-chan” I said to her. Yes, my mothers great grandmother was Japanese, her name was Haruka. My mother, when she was finally old enough to understand words, decided to name her after her great grandmother. “How have you been?” I spoke to her again. No words came out, I never expected any to. I leaned forward a little playing with her long pin straight black hair for a bit “Did my mother ever have to go through this torture the same way I did?” I asked minutes later and still received no answer. I looked at her again, admiring her overall appearance. For a glass doll that has been around for over forty years she was still in pretty good condition. Though I knew she would never answer back to anything I said or asked I still felt like she has some sort of connection with my mom. She knows things that I never did, that I never will. I guess just trying to connect with her is just me trying to connect with my mom. I let out a small sigh as I picked her up and placed her back on the shelf.

“You’re mom never really got as sick as you do, she was just be on an emotional rollercoaster” a voice said. I turned around to see my aunt standing in the doorway.
“Auntie Yoon!” I shouted running over to her, giving her a hug.
“It’s nice to see you too” she laughed hugging me back.
“Why are you here? I thought I told you not to worry?”  I asked pulling away.
“ Yeah you did, but I still was worried. “ She then placed the back of her hand against my forehead. “You are a little warm, but nothing too bad”
“I told you I was fine. I meant it” I laughed.
“Well lets try to keep it that way. Best march to bed young lady” she said pointing out of the room and towards mine.

Normally with any other person I would have at least try to put up a fight when it came to convincing them I was fine, but when it comes to Auntie Yoon if you don’t convince her the first time you will NOT convince her any other time after, might as well give up cause you won’t win. The rest of the day I spent lying down in bed. Auntie Yoon made me soup and her oh so famous get well soon chocolate-chip cookies. Doojoon and I actually used to take turns pretending we were sick just so she would make them. We even used to play rough sports just because there was a higher chance of injury, higher chance of cookies, but you know I eventually grew out of being a complete idiot at the age of fourteen and stopped faking/trying to get physical harm just for cookies. Doojoon still did play sports after I quit. He actually enjoyed being active, and with that and his vocal ability it just must be his destiny to be a performer. It was finally night time and I had been feeling a lot worse. The craps came back and my temperature increased and I felt nauseous. Auntie Yoon asked if I wanted her to stay the night, but I told her that if there was any problems I would just call Doojoon. At first she was kind of sceptical but when I told her about the phone conversation earlier with Doojoon saying if I needed anything he’d go get it she decided that it was okay for her to go home, you know after she had a good laugh.  I’m really blessed to have the family that I do.



 

Heeey! Hope everyone had an awesome Christmas!
(I actually wrote this Christmas night but passed out before I could post it..)
I bet you guys can guess how mine was...
yeah, got sick again.
I think though it's because I was at 2:30am still wrapping presents
(Then watched Atashinchi no dashi till 4am)
then my little sister(not really little, she's 14) decided to wake my up
and not like a nice "Merry Christmas time to get up" nudges softly
it was like flips on lights, yanks off covers "GET UP NOW!"
getting woken up like that just makes me ill and I dont know why...
BUT ANYWAYS
I thought up a twist for this story
and I am REALLY excited for it!
I don't know how you guys will like it...but muhahaha :)
But anyways
Hope you enjoy the update
I wish it looked longer, but because there isnt much dialog its not.
All chapters I try to make over 1,300 characters (just saying)
Byebye :)

OH Ps, I debated whether or not to do the whole 'time of the month' thing, but it does work into my story in the future. And sorry about the lack of Junhyung, he'll be in the next update. Promise :).