Cancer - My Chemical Romance

iPod Shuffle Challenge: Donghae

"Hae?"

The weak, frail form of said man weakly turned his head. His tired eyes met with the familiar figure standing in the doorway and a small, weak smile formed on his lips. He opened his mouth, letting his tired, cracked voice croak out the familiar name, "Eunhyuk..."

Donghae watched as Eunhyuk let out a small sigh as he entered the white hospital room and quietly shut the door behind him. Turning from the doorway, his best friend walked over to his bedside and sat down in his usual chair. Eunhyuk lifted his eyes, tears already welling up at the sight of Donghae laying in the hospital bed. Though Donghae took notice of the tears, he smiled softly and pulled one of the Eunhyuk's hands into his weak grasp. He knew his best friend was hurting because of him, and that hurt even more than his current condition.

Eunhyuk looked down at their clasped hands and let out a small sigh as he tried desperately to blink back the tears in his eyes. He then lifted his dark eyes to meet Donghae's detached gaze, and softly spoke, "How are you?"

Even though most would see it as a stupid question, given Donghae's current condition, Eunhyuk didn't know what else to say. Knowing this, Donghae gave him a small smile, "Well, I'm not dead."

'Yet...' that was the unspoken word. Both of them knew it, but neither wanted to acknowledge it. Donghae was drawing nearer and nearer towards the time limit the doctor had given him. Though the doctor was thoroughly surprised Donghae had even lived this long, they knew it wouldn't be for much longer. Even though he knew his best friend was going to be leaving him soon, Eunhyuk still refused to believe it. Donghae would always tell him it wasn't healthy to live in constant denial like that, but he couldn't help it. He had a feeling he wouldn't believe it until Donghae had actually left him for good.

Giving his sick friend a sad smile, Eunhyuk lifted his free hand to the beanie covering his best friend's hairless head; there wasn't a direct reason for this action other than to just make sure Donghae was still physically there. Knowing this as well, Donghae gave his friend the best smile he could muster, which made Eunhyuk smile one of his signature gummy smiles. The two just sat in silence, the soft beeps of the machine monitoring Donghae's heartbeat played in the background. Donghae coughed a little, which on reflex Eunhyuk grabbed the small cup of water on the bedside and gave it to his friend to drink. After taking a small gulp, Donghae smiled at his friend, "Thanks", which Eunhyuk nodded lightly in reply, feeling tears once again start to well up in his eyes.

His best friend was dying, but even if seeing Donghae like this was painful, it was better than not seeing him at all.