Division St. - Thursday

iPod Shuffle Challenge: Donghae

Donghae sighed quietly as he strode down the dark, empty street in front of him. All the houses were completely forbode of any light on the inside; even though this was obviously due to the late hour of the night, the young brunette couldn't help but smile sadly to himself and make another comparison. 'Why can't the memories disappear as easily as that...' The memories flashed through his mind, causing his eyes to immediately well up with tears. He let a shaky breath pass his thin lips as he shoved his hands into the pockets of his dark jacket, his fists clenching subconsciously. Pushing away the urge to cry, he lifted his head and continued to stroll down the darkened street.

The memories of her were always painful to recall, so much so that after 'it' happened, Donghae found himself falling into his subconscious. The precious reality he once cherished to live in became nothing but a nightmare, and it started becoming harder and harder to find the strength to leave his apartment. Everytime he stepped outside his small apartment, however, he found himself strolling aimlessly without a thought, or care, of much of anything. Donghae didn't care anymore; he had already lost his everything that day, nothing else of value could be taken from him anymore. He felt his heart ache as more memories flashed inside his mind, and he unintentionally choked back a sob as he was once again fighting the tears. She was gone, and there wasn't anyway he could fix it. He had promised her he would never let something happen to her, so how did 'it' manage to happen? Why did he allow her to walk alone that day? By doing that, he allowed that drunken man to run her over while she was at a crosswalk. To make it worse, it also meant that he allowed that man to run from the accident, never to be found.

Once he had heard what happened, he had immediately realized it was his fault. Rushing to the hospital where they had taken her, he continued to feeling anger and hatred towards himself. As he stepped into the waiting room demanding to see her, all the anger had boiled over and was streaming out of his eyes in the form of tears. As the receptionist asked him pointless questions he couldn't remember even if he wanted to, all he could do was yell. Yell about how it was his fault. About how he had let this happen.

Feeling the warm liquid streaming down his cheeks, Donghae quickly lifted one of his hands out of his pockets and hastily wiped the tear away while letting out a shaky breath. The memories kept flashing in his mind: hearing the doctors say the time of death, him demanding they do something even though they had already said she was gone, seeing a glimpse of her as they wheeled the bed holding the corpse of the one he had loved down the hallway, her lifeless face with the blood still dripping down the side of her face...

His heart continued to break again and again as the memories kept flooding back. Choking back another sob, Donghae lifted his head to look up at the sky and blinked back the fresh tears. He returned his gaze to the dark houses, and a sad smile graced his thin lips again as he softly whispered, "If only...the memories could turn off as easily as the lights."