Chapter 3

Forgive (But Not Forget)

from: brat pitt

u must be up in the air now rite? cant wait to meet u!

3:45 pm

 

from: brat pitt

i have no idea y i send this since u cant read this but still. this photographer is a in perfectionist we have been taking the same photo since 20mins ago (T_T)

5:24 pm

 

from: brat pitt

im killing this guy, noona. thx god he understands the word REST

6:35 pm

 

from: brat pitt

it’s in 8.05pm! i need to be at the airport already! we’re not even halfway done this

8:05 pm

 

from: brat pitt

photo shoot still ongoing. cant pick u at the airport (T_T) key’s at the usual place

8:37 pm

 

I slowly ran my palm over my oily face. The flight had touchdown at 8:45 pm just now and as soon as I switched on my mobile phone, Sehun’s messages were the first to arrive followed by messages from some of my friends back in New York asking me if I have arrived. Sehun promised to pick me up at the airport when I arrived today. He did tell me he has a shooting today but he probably did not expect it to drag until my arrival time.

 

to: brat pitt

it’s okay. ill just take cab.

8:55 pm

 

Five years have passed and nothing much has changed since I left. The roads are still the same. So are the buildings. Maybe there were renovations made but like I memorized each building here. The taxi driver was so nice for talking to me I have no heart to ignore him so I decided to chat with him instead of sleeping. I asked him about anything new in Seoul. He helpfully pointed at me some of the new office buildings and some interesting new eateries that I should try. I nodded at him enthusiastically since I myself couldn’t contain myself from being excited about being home.

 

After a good amount of time of fulfilling info exchange, I finally arrived at my apartment building. I almost screamed when I saw it. Even the taxi driver couldn’t hide his cheeky grandpa smile seeing my excitement. I helped him pull out my luggage from the boot. I bowed 90 degrees at him and thanked him for the ride and all the stuff he shared with me. He pulled out a card from his wallet and told me to call him if I need any ride or information.

 

When the taxi was out of my sight, I turned to look at my apartment building. Still the same, I said in my head. I really miss my home. I quickly pulled my luggage to the entrance. I smiled at the security guard, who I still recognized and surprisingly, he remembered me too. He offered help to bring my luggage which I politely refused since I still can manage it. He told me to have a good rest and bid me good night. I bowed to thank him before walking towards the elevator. Thank God the elevator was already on the ground floor. I wheeled in my luggage before pressing ‘9’.

 

“Wait!”

 

I immediately pressed the open button since the door was almost closed. The man quickly ran into the elevator before pressing ‘12’. He was so occupied with a guitar bag on his back, his phone in his right hand and another one in his messenger bag I decided to give more space to him and moved to my left a little.

 

“Thank you so much.”

 

My body froze. I recognized the voice. I slowly turned my head towards the man beside me. My legs were shivering; either because of the cold or the man. The man beside me was busy rummaging through his leather messenger bag; probably looking for his house key. He always did that in the lift because he said ‘what if there is a killer behind you and you didn’t have the chance to run into your house since you didn’t have the keys in your hand?’ once when I asked him why he searched for key before he arrives at his door (a habit of his which I actually followed). He really didn’t change a thing. Maybe there is or are. I just didn’t know.

 

“...Chanyeol?”

 

The man stopped his search. He turned his head so fast I was worried he might have a whiplash. I heard his breathing hitched when we looked into each other’s eyes.

 

“Why are you here?”

 

We asked at the same time.

 

“I moved back to Seoul.”

“I live here.”

 

We looked at each other with wide eyes. Before I could ask him more, the elevator halted at my floor. I was about to walk out before someone gently pulled my huge luggage from me and left me with my backpack. When I turned to face him, he was staring at me with a gaze I couldn’t explain.

 

“I’ll help.”

 

Too tired to argue, I just let him pulled my bag as I searched for my keys.

 

“I told you to search for the keys before you arrive at your floor right?” He said softly.

“Yeah. I just...forgot just now. Jetlag.”

 

And because of you who came out of nowhere, I screamed inside my head.

 

After a few minutes of searching, the keys were not found. I tried so hard to remember where I put the keys. I set my backpack on the floor before kneeling down and search for it again. My breathing got faster when I began to run my hands in the bag faster. Not to mention I can feel Chanyeol was eyeing me from my side. I have no idea why I wanted to cry but I felt tears were starting to pool in my eyes.

 

A large hand reached into my bag and pulled out my shivering hands. Chanyeol pulled me up then he held my shoulders gently. His large palm cupped my right cheek, wanting me to look him in the eyes — a ritual he does every time I’m like this; panicked, scared, uncomfortable, tired.

 

“Sky.” He called me with his soothing voice. “Look at me.”

 

I shook my head. I really don’t want to look at him. His whole being stood in front of me was torturous enough. Looking him in the eyes could make the tears I’ve been holding since just now drop.

 

“Sky...” Chanyeol tried again. “Where did you put the keys?”

“I...” I croaked. “I don’t—I don’t remember...”

“Should I call Sehun? Maybe he knows?” He suggested.

 

Then, it clicked to me. Sehun! I almost forgot his message! I gently pushed the palm on my cheeks before going to my front door. There is a welcome sign attached to the door. I lifted up the sign and took the key from a secret pocket I made. Chanyeol looked shocked when he saw I did that.

 

“Out of all places, you put it there?”

“Technically, Sehun put it here. But I always do that before.” I said. “You don’t know?”

“No. I used to have your spare key too, remember?” Chanyeol continued to nag. “Sky, do you know how dangerous is that? What if someone saw you do that?”

“Relax. I’ve been doing this since I stayed here.”

 

Chanyeol looked like he wanted to nag more but I ignored him and opened the door to my humble home. Everything still looked the same except for some empty spaces belonged to the stuff I brought to the US. I looked at Chanyeol dragged my luggage to my bedroom. A smile grown on my lips knowing him still remembered my apartment layout even after five years. I went to the kitchen to find a note on my refrigerator. I sat on one of the high chairs at the kitchen island.

 

me and my boys will miss cleaning this place. lu cooked you lunchbox. enjoy!

love,

minseok, luhan & Lumin Cleaning Service team

 

“Your place looked spotless for a place that has been left for five years.”

“Minseok.”

“Ah. His cleaning business really went uphill these days.” He sat down beside me. “He came today?”

“Yeah. You know, I just thought I’ll clean it up if I ever come home. But after six months I moved, Sehun came to check the house with him and he almost had a fit seeing all the dust. He came here every six months ever since.”

 

Chanyeol chuckled. We both know how neat and clean our friend is. I looked for the lunchbox and saw it was placed in the cooker. I stood up and went to take the dinner Luhan, Minseok’s boyfriend cooked for me.

 

“Do you have a microwave in your apartment?”

“Uh. Yeah?” Chanyeol confusedly answered.

“Take this. I just wanna sleep.”

“Eat this tomorrow then. Luhan cooked it for you. Not for me.”

“I don’t know what time I’ll wake up tomorrow.”

 

Chanyeol looked uneasy to accept the lunchbox from my hand. I rolled my eyes before taking his hand and placed the container on it.

 

“Eat this and hand it back to me later. Or you could pass it directly to Luhan. He’s always at Shine & Howl. You always go there for his grilled cheese.”

 

He slowly nodded. He, then, stood up from the chair and walked towards the door.

 

“Thank you for the help, Yeol.” I said as he was wearing his shoes.

“Anything for you, Sky.” He softly smiled at me.

 

He waved at me after wishing me good night and good rest. I waited until he was near to the elevator. When the elevator’s door opened, he waved at me again before entering it. I slowly closed the door of my apartment. Letting go the breath I have been holding since I met Chanyeol, I slide down the door. My heartbeat slowly got back to the normal pace.

 

Five years really didn’t change anything.

 

***

 

I slowly opened my eyes. The first visual I saw was the sunlight came in from the window. I groaned while rolling on my bed. I really don’t want to wake up. However, after realizing I smelt like sweat and bad life choice, I felt like puking. Last night, I just changed to my sleepwear and went straight to bed without a shower or, at least, brush my teeth. Fighting my laziness, I stood up to go to the bathroom. I took my travel toiletries bag from my luggage and went straight to wash off the dirt from, probably, 50 hours ago.

 

After making a list of the stuff I need to buy at the grocery store, I rummaged through my luggage to find something suitable (and clean) to wear. Since it’s still cold outside, I donned my favourite dark blue Supreme hoodie and my beige long coat. I patted my head for remembering to pack suitable clothes for this cold weather. I filled my trusty messenger bag with all the necessities and I was ready to go. I opened my door just to find Chanyeol standing there, knuckles ready to knock my door.

 

“Chanyeol!” I winced for sounding too shocked.

“Hey.” He casually greeted me.

“Hi,” I replied back. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, I want to go to the grocery store. My kitchen is too empty. And I want to go for brunch. Thought I stop by and ask you to join me.” He (not cutely) rubbed his nape.

“Ah.” I mentally slapped myself for the dumb response. “Actually, I’m doing the same thing.”

“Well, let’s go?”

 

I looked at him before running my eyes elsewhere but him. Sky Lee, seriously. You almost died when you met him last night. And he helped you to bring your luggage. And then he held you when you panicked about the keys last night. And you gave him your dinner. And now he asked you to join him for brunch and grocery shopping. Do you really think you can survive?

 

“Okay.”

 

We stopped at our favourite chicken restaurant a few blocks from our apartment building to eat. I blurted out how I really missed the spicy chicken wings. Chanyeol just chuckled (I have no ing idea why) before driving us there. I still questioned myself for agreeing to this. I was almost hysterical when I met him last night and now I’m eating chicken wings with him. Although I expected this to be filled with awkward silence and there will be only the sound of our surrounding and our munching, it turned out to be a pleasant time. Back then, we talked a lot while eating out. Now, we didn’t talk much since we just ate silently but I still felt warm in his presence. I don’t know about him but I enjoyed the brunch.

 

And I feared that.

 

***

 

“I miss this.”

“What?”

“The smell of South Korean grocery store and reading Hangul description on sardine cans instead of English.”

 

Chanyeol chuckled while pushing his trolley after picking a few cans of canned sardines for himself. Just like when we arrived at the grocery store a few minutes ago. I actually stopped at the entrance to take a breath of it. It’s just a grocery store but for someone who just got back after staying outside of South Korea for five years, I don’t think it’s a sin for me to be a little dramatic though it was an embarrassing moment. Sehun probably leaves me to shop alone. Chanyeol, however, stayed and I think he recorded my little antic.

 

“We barely reached here for 10 minutes and you filled your trolley halfway already.” He teased. “How unsurprising.”

“Shut up.” I pushed his shoulders making him groaned. “Speak for yourself.”

“I’m a man. I normally eat a lot.”

“Whatever.”

 

After picking up biscuits and snacks for munching during the late-night movie marathon, I pushed my trolley towards the green section. Chanyeol, who followed me around patiently, let out a small chuckle when I picked out some fresh vegetables. I looked at him confusedly.

 

“Who are you and what have you done to the little brat who’s afraid of the green yucky icky monster?”

“Hey! I eat vegetables now!” I pouted.

“Wah~ New York changed something in you. Are you a vegetarian now?”

 

I rolled my eyes and left him alone at the other end of the section. I was selecting the salad when I felt a hand placed around my waist. I froze for a moment before turning my face up to face the owner of the hand. He looked at me guiltily (?).

 

“Are you hurt because of my joke?” He asked softly. “I’m sorry.”

 

I felt my cheeks burning when I heard his soothing voice trying to comfort me. I have no idea why he thought I was hurt and I have no idea why I let him held me like this too. I just shook my head, telling him I’m not hurt because of what he said. Chanyeol caressed my hair before letting me go. He went back to his trolley and left me with salad in my hand. It took me awhile before I snapped back to reality and picked other vegetables. After filling each and every space of our trollies, we pushed it towards the cashier.

 

“Oh shiz.” I halted my steps.

“What?”

“I forgot my cereal.” I turned around.

“Let me get it for you.” He followed. “Cornflakes right?”

“Nah, it’s okay. You go and pay first okay?”

 

I went to the designated alley where all the cereals are placed. I remembered where the Cornflakes usually placed. I looked around the shelves but none of the boxes belonged to Cornflakes. That’s weird, I thought. There will always be a lot of Cornflakes boxes. I tried to search for it again, increasing my radar power. And when I looked up at the top shelf, there it is, in its white glory.

 

Cornflakes.

 

But there’s one teeny tiny problem.

 

The box was placed in the highest shelf. I have no idea why the hell this supermarket placed one of the most bought cereal on most top of the shelf. I pouted, trying to figure out on how to get the box. I was about to turn around and ask help from any staff near to aisle when I felt a hand placed on my shoulder. I looked up and saw a hand reached for the cereal box. I almost scream “NO!” before I saw the man who took the cereal.

 

“You’re so short.”

 

Although the close proximity was suffocating me, I never miss the opportunity to jab Chanyeol on the rib with my elbow. From the first day I met him until now, he never miss to tease me about my height. Laughing at my weak revenge, he pulled his hand away from my shoulder and placed the cereal box in my trolley. I immediately missed the warmness.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

Chanyeol’s voice made me stop running around my thoughts and began to follow Chanyeol towards the cashier.

 

***

 

The drive back to our apartment building filled with us singing along to some English songs in Chanyeol’s mp3. We used to do this whenever Chanyeol picked me up in the middle of the night and drive around Seoul until early morning on free days. Usually, he did that whenever he fought with his girlfriend or when he had a bad day. The stupid me just followed without asking him what’s wrong just to make sure he’s not alone and do anything stupid while drunk. I questioned about my sanity five years ago together with the current one when the car stopped.

 

“We’re here.”

 

We stepped out of the car and picked our groceries from behind. We silently walked towards the entrance when I stopped at the sight of familiar brown boxes near the security guardhouse. The guard-on-duty came out from his position and greeted me and Chanyeol.

 

“Hi Sky. Some guys from the courier came just now and asked for you. Saying something about sending stuff from America. I told them to leave it here.”

“Oh, thank you. I’ll come back down after I send this up.”

 

I went back to my unit to put down all the grocery bags at the kitchen. I placed the items that needed to be refrigerated in the fridge quickly before went down again. I left the door slightly opened so that I could easily bring in all the boxes inside without any hassle and prayed no one slipped in. When I arrived at the ground floor, I didn’t expect Chanyeol will be there though.

 

“So, which one should I carry first?” Chanyeol looked more than ready to carry all the boxes if he can.

 

I just gaped at him, unattractively of course. No one gape beautifully. He looked at me, worried expression was clear on his face.

 

“Uh...” Chanyeol waved his hand in front of my face. “Sky?”

“Huh?”

“Which one should I carry first?” He repeated his previous question slowly.

“Why?”

“What why?”

“Why are you asking?”

“Because I want to help? Is that a good answer?” He asked. “You’ll be crazy if you think I’ll let you move everything by yourself.”

 

I looked at the boxes, trying to remember what I packed in each box. In the current situation, I don’t think I could recall anything although I remembered I labelled every box meticulously. I just told him to bring the topmost up first. I picked up one box as well and walked towards the elevator.

 

He wanted to help as a friend, Sky. Don’t think anything else. Sky, get a grip of yourself for God sake. Don’t overthink. You guys are just friends.