Chapter 11

Forgive (But Not Forget)

“You okay, baby? Careful. Watch your steps.”

 

I rolled my eyes hearing my boyfriend’s question. Don’t get me wrong; I love how Chanyeol pampers me when I am sick. It’s just sometimes he babies me too much it could get overwhelming.

 

Last night, after a lot of lip-locking, he insisted to stay with me when I told him to go home and rest. I felt guilty thinking about him – his whole 1.85m, long leg being – sleeping on the hard chair while sitting down. He flashed his 456789 teeth-smile when I made a space on my bed and told him to sleep beside me. The morning nurse giggled when she saw me sleeping in Chanyeol’s embrace when she came in to check my blood pressure. Chanyeol had the audacity to shyly rubbed the back of his head and told her “I just can’t leave my girlfriend in the hospital alone” no matter how much I frantically signalled him to not say anything. They both laughed at my reddened face.

 

And now, he tried to help me to walk back to my unit after arriving at our apartment building.

 

“Park Chanyeol, I love you for taking care of me and I really appreciate it. But, seriously. I just have a mild fever. It’s not like I broke my leg or something. I can walk on my own.” I said with a laugh.

 

Chanyeol pouted. I insisted to walk without him holding my hand. He’s already carrying my bag and I didn’t want to burden him more. I walked slowly but still stable. When we’re in the elevator, I wanted to search for my keys inside my bag but Chanyeol already jingled the spare key he had together with his own house key. I made an impressive face and gave me a slow, soundless clap that made him laughed.

 

“I can’t wait to sleep on my own bed.” I sighed when we arrived at my front door.

 

He just smiled and opened the door wide for me, only to give me a huge surprise.

 

“WELCOME HOME!”

 

I began to laugh like an idiot when I saw my friends surrounded me to give me a warm, welcome-home hug. Almost everyone is here; Sehun, the Kim-Byun couple, Kibum, Mingyu, and, the biggest surprise ever, Brian Rosier.

 

“I almost had a heart attack when Key told me you’re in the hospital!” Brian cried. “I wanted to surprise you with my presence in Seoul but I was the one who got surprised later.”

 

My gay best friend #3 then told me he was here for a vacation and to visit me as well. He originally wanted to ask me to be his personal tour guide for his one-week holiday but he dismissed the idea and planning to ask for Kibum’s help instead. We all chatted while eating the pizzas Kibum bought at a pizza parlour a few blocks from my building for an hour before Kibum the Momster insisted them to clean up quickly and shooed everybody (minus Chanyeol) out so that I can have my rest. I waited for them to enter the elevator before closing my door. I walked towards the couch and sat beside Chanyeol.

 

“Who was that guy? The English-speaking one.” Chanyeol asked without looking at me.

“That’s Brian.” I turned to him. “I told you about him. He’s in the Wall of Fame.”

“Okay. Never stay near him ever again except when I’m with you.” He looked at me straight in the eyes.

“What?” I chuckled. “Are you jealous or something, dude?”

“Very much, yes.”

 

I wanted to chuckle again but when I saw his serious eyes, I brushed off the idea. I felt bad for making him jealous although I tried to include him when I talked to my friends just now. It’s silly of him to be jealous because of a man who prefers but he didn’t know Brian as much as I do, so it’s understandable if he feels like that.

 

Feeling bold, I climbed on his lap and circled my arms around his neck. He hesitated for a moment before he placed his arms on my waist.

 

“Sweetheart, look at me.”

 

Chanyeol listened and looked at me in the eyes. I flashed him a soft smile before giving his nose a peck.

 

“I’m sorry for making you jealous.”

 

I kissed his forehead before placing my forehead over his.

 

“More than half of my guy friends are gay including Brian. Even if there are other guys to flirt with me, always know that I only have you in my heart. And I’m yours and only yours, okay?”

 

He pouted.

 

“This is so unfair. I wanted to stay mad but I can’t. Not with you on my lap like this; being drop-dead gorgeous, so hot and cute at the same time.”

 

I bit my lips innocently before brushed my lips on his. He groaned before sitting up straight and kissed me passionately. I smiled in our kiss. As if there was too much space between us, he pulled me closer to him by the waist and he deepened the kiss. Feeling desperate for air, I pulled away even deep inside I wanted to kiss him more. He gave me his stupidly cute goofy smile that I couldn’t resist myself from giving him another peck.

 

“I’m sorry for being jealous for no reason. I should trust you more.”

“It’s fine. It kinda made me happy, knowing you’re jealous of a guy. Besides, you’re cute when you’re jealous.” I hugged him.

 

I could feel his smile when he buried his face in my neck. Closing my eyes, I laid my head on his shoulder. I inhaled his scent which equals to his personality; warm like burning woods during winter and soft like hot cocoa in the winter. It made me sleepy. Chanyeol, probably sensing it, hugged me tighter.

 

“Let’s get you to bed, baby.” He whispered.

 

I moved out of his embrace and stood up followed by Chanyeol. He wrapped his arms around my shoulder and moved us towards the toilet for us to start our usual bedtime routine. After washing our teeth, Chanyeol gladly carried me bridal style and gently placed me on the bed. He placed a gentle kiss on my forehead. I was puzzled because usually, he does this when he wants to go home. Before he can walk away, I pulled his hand. He stopped his movements and kneeled beside my bed.

 

“What’s up?”

“Stay.”

 

He chuckled before pecking my pouty lips.

 

“Already miss me on your bed, baby?” He teased. “Too bad I have an early schedule tomorrow.”

 

I internally protested but I just nodded and said ‘it’s okay’ before bidding him good night and turned my back towards him and pretended to sleep. I could hear him chuckled in his deep voice. I felt him rubbing the back of my head. He softly pulled my blanket and placed it up until it covered my shoulder. My ears captured the sound of his footsteps fade away and the sound of my front door being closed could be heard.

 

I slowly got up from my sleeping position. I don’t know why I felt upset being left alone as if I never stay alone when I am sick before. Sighing, I pushed the blanket off my body and walked out to the living hall. My hand absentmindedly reached for the remote and the flat screen. Nothing good was on at this hour but I just let it be. I randomly changed the channel until I found a channel showing a favourite Korean movie of mine. Even though I love this movie, I was not in the mood to watch it. I just let the noise from the movie accompanied my quiet apartment.

 

A few minutes later, I heard the front door being opened. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Chanyeol carried a duffel bag before he disappeared into my bedroom. My ears caught the sound of his footsteps again before I felt the couch dipped beside me.

 

“Are you upset? I’m sorry. I went back to get my clothes. The ones I have here are in the laundry. And I was getting my laptop too.”

“It’s okay. I’m sorry for being too emotional.”

“Okay.”

“I’m sorry for acting childish. And I’m sorry for being clingy.”

“It’s okay. Stop apologizing. Please...”

“I just want you to be here. I don’t know why but I really want you here.”

“I know.”

“I’m sorry...”

 

We both went quiet. I felt bad for being like this. I knew I was not well but I should understand Chanyeol was tired too. He stayed with me at the hospital for almost two days. The guilt began to hit me hard and I balled my fists, trying to control myself. Tears were pooled in my eyes, waiting to be rolled off my cheeks. Before I could rub it off, a firm hand gripped my arm and pulled me towards the muscular body beside me. Chanyeol placed me on his lap before hugging me tightly. The walls I built inside me just now began to crumble down. My shoulders were shaking because of me sobbing. He stayed quiet, just tightening his arms around my waist.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m just...” I hiccupped. “Probably I’m not in my right mind now. You know how clingy I can be when I’m sick. I’m so–”

 

He pulled away from giving a shower of kisses on my shoulder and pecked my lips before I could finish my apology. Seeing the tears were still flowing out of my eyes, he gave my lips multiple of kisses until I stopped crying. He looked me in the eyes.

 

“Baby, stop saying sorry. Please.” He pleaded. “I told you I want to treat you right this time right? I left you alone when you’re sick back then. And now that you’re my girlfriend, you don’t have to feel sorry to be clingy to me. I’ll do my best to be there for you. I want to be the best man for you because you always made me feel like I’m the best man in the world.”

“You’re a jerk sometimes but I know you are the best man for me, Yeollie.”

 

Hearing that, I saw tears were forming in his eyes too. He flashed me a sweet smile before leaning in to give me a deep kiss.

 

“I love you, Sky Lee.”

“I love you, Park Chanyeol.”

 

He kissed me again before carrying me to the bed. We impulsively moved into our usual sleeping position. Only this time, we faced each other instead of my back facing him. He pulled me deeper into his arms. I giggled gleefully when he kissed my neck. His hand went to the back of my head and placed it so close to his chest that I could hear the faint sound of his heartbeat.

 

“Good night, baby.”

“I love you.” I looked up at him.

“I love you more, baby.” He kissed my forehead. “I love you so much.”

 

I hid my shy face on his neck. With that, we both went to dreamland peacefully.

 

***

 

The next morning, I woke up to an empty bedside. I sat up in a slow manner, trying to rub off the sleepiness. I yawned and scratched my head. The smell of pancakes and sausages surrounded the bedroom. Rubbing my eyes, I got off the bed and walked towards the kitchen.

 

My morning view today was Chanyeol’s wide back, wearing his favourite slim-fit black tee, flashing his glorious guns. If it’s not for his Spongebob yellow boxer (I remembered buying it for his birthday years ago), I would say my boyfriend is the manliest man on this planet.

 

To be honest, I still felt giddy for saying Chanyeol, the man I love one-sidedly for years, is officially my boyfriend now. I wondered how he could easily and proudly tell everyone we talked to in the hospital yesterday that I am his girlfriend.

 

Lost in my thought, I didn’t realise I already reached the counter near to the stove. I hopped on the counter, watching Chanyeol cooked.

 

“You could wake me up, you know. I feel bad for letting you cook alone.”

“I want my baby to rest a lot.” He winked to my direction.

“I thought you have early schedule.”

“I was just joking, baby. You’re cute when you pout.”

 

We shared laughter before I let him focused on the sausages in the flat pan again. Watching him cooking made me felt the giddiness again. He looked so handsome with a spatula in his hand. I unashamedly ogled my boyfriend as if I never see him cook all my life. For God sake, we cooked together almost every weekend for the past few months. Maybe the change in our relationship from bros to boyfriend-girlfriend changed my view on him.

 

“Enjoying the view, baby?”

 

I was surprised when he said it without even looking at me as if he knew his girlfriend is looking at him for the past few minutes. I just grinned at him. That’s when an idea clicked on my mind. I was shy to do it but it won’t hurt if I try.

 

“Hey. I wanna try something.”

“What?” He looked at me with a smile on his face.

 

I jumped off the counter and went to his back. Before he could turn around, I squeaked at him to just focus on the pan. He looked puzzled but he just shrugged before going back to turning the sausages. I breathed in and out slowly before went on with my idea.

 

I stretched my arms towards Chanyeol and wrapped it around his waist. I rested my forehead on his back for a while before giving his shoulder a kiss. I heard him chuckle followed by the sound of the stove was switched off. Chanyeol then turned towards me and placed his large palms on my cheeks. He flashed his brilliant smile before swooping down to kiss me. I grinned and wrapped my hands around his neck. He lifted me up and put me on the counter again. He deepened the kiss and only stopped when we both needed to breathe again. I smiled at him. He looked at me as if I’m his pride.

 

“What was that?”

“What’s what?”

“That hug.”

“Well...” I rubbed the back of my head shyly. “I kinda wanted to give you a morning hug and kiss but I’m shy.”

“Oh my God.” He laughed heartily before pecking my lips. “You are so cute. Do you know that?”

“Well, I know that now you told me.”

 

He laughed again. Then, he looked at me with serious yet gentle eyes. He spread my legs so he can be in between them. Warm palms were placed on my hips and I felt he pulled me closer to his body. Chanyeol ran his eyes all over my face making me squirmed in his hold. A little rub on both of my sides calmed me.

 

“Sky, I’m your boyfriend now. So, don’t be shy with me anymore okay? I’m all yours. If you want to hug me, go on. If you want a kiss, tell me. If you want to rant, I’m all ears. I’ll indulge you with everything I can. Do you understand me, baby?”

 

 

I smiled at him and nodded. I wrapped my arms around his neck again.

 

“Good morning, boyfriend,” I said while looking him straight in the eyes.

 

Chanyeol immediately groaned. I was puzzled when he carried me bridal style in his arms out of the sudden.

 

“You know what? Screw breakfast. You know what we actually need?”

 

I looked at him questioningly.

 

“Morning cuddle.”

 

I tilted my head to the back and laughed loudly in his arms.

 

At that moment, I knew I’m in love with Park Chanyeol all over again.