Chapter Three

I've missed you... too

“Happy birthday to you...” I sing entering Minah's room first thing in the morning. “Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday to my beautiful baby girl Minah, happy birthday to you.” I hold out a gift for her and she smiles widely taking it from me. Before opening it she places it in front of her on the bed.

“This year, I'm turning 5...” She starts praying putting her hands together in front of her chest. I chuckle but sit on the edge of her bed and listen to her. “So, now I think I'm old enough to help Omma with the chores and bills.” I start inversely laughing at her, she's so freaking cute. “So, from now on I will not accept gifts from Omma, instead she can spend the money on things we need. Not things I want.” I stop laughing and reach out putting my hand on her leg. “Because one day I'll have to take care of Omma, and I need to be strong enough!” She opens one eye and stares at me for about 10 seconds before closing it again. “Amen.”

“Yah, who says you get to decide whether or not you get presents?” I say with a small smile.

“Omma, I don't want you to waste money on me.”

I make a disapproving face and shake my head. “Why are you so clever for only 5 years old. It's not possible, I'm going to ask your friends mothers if their little girls talk this cleverly at such a young age. What do they feed you at preschool? Cause you definitely do not learn any of this at home!” I start laughing.

“Omma, you're not being serious!” She mis-pronounces serious and I can't even live anymore.

“Open your present. Now.” I say sternly.

She shakes her head then looks at it. “You don't scare me Omma, I wont be forced.” She peeks at it again then asks “But what is it?”

I smirk at her. “Oh, wouldn't you like to know! Open it.” She seems tempted but doesn't budge... “What would you like it to be?”

“A pink tutu! Because when I grow up I'm going to be ballerina!”

I nod then take the present away. “Better not open it then, you'll only be disappointed.”

She grabs it from me and rips the wrapping paper off, it's a pink tutu. As if I didn't know my own daughter. “Omma, it's amazing!”

I nod. “Of course it is, I made it.” Her eyes sparkle. “So Omma, didn't waste any money on you. I bought the materials from your favourite Ajumma, and made it by hand. So you can't tell me off. BUT I have made a special reservation at a special restaurant that the Ajumma told me about apparently they make the best kimbap there is.”

She starts shouting and hollaring jumping on the bed. “Woohoo!” She cheers loudly. “This is the BEST birthday ever! I'm so lucky to have you as my Omma!”

I pull her into a big bear hug and kiss her forehead. “But first what do you want for breakfast?”

 

Her birthday is a success in her books anyway! We had an amazing breakfast, went to the park, skipped lunch for an early dinner and got all dressed up to go for her special birthday meal. I wore my best jeans and shoes whilst Minah wore her pink tutu and leg warmers. As we're leaving to walk to the restaurant I see the envelope from Chanyeol on the side. I sigh and remember the letter telling me to pay for her tuition with it, how many dance lessons would that pay for? A lot not doubt. I can't believe I'm even thinking about using it, no I can't do that. Because... I can always get a second or third job. That's right. We leave the house and walk down the road hand in hand. “My beautiful Minah, what would you like to do after this meal, the last thing you want to do on your birthday?”

She smiles and says. “I want a present, one that you don't have to buy.”

I'm curious at her answer and ask. “What present is that?”

“I will tell you after we eat! Because it's special so I want to ask for it when the time is right.” She laughs to herself. I feel this little plan may be something evil... but I let her smile as it's her birthday.

 

“Welcome to Our Lovely Kimbap, table for two?” The lady asks at the door.

“I've made a reservation, under the name Minah.” I say with a smile.

She nods and looks through the book. “Ah, yes I'll take you to your special booth.” She leads us towards the back of the shop and there's a little rustic booth with happy birthday balloons and a big pink 5 on top of some beautiful pink roses. “Happy birthday Miss Minah, congratulations on turning 5 today!”

Minah smiles and takes the flowers from the server. “Thank you!”

“Someone will be with you for your order in about 5 minutes.” She smiles and leaves us to be all excited together.

“What do you think? Like the pink? Like the balloons? Did I do good?” I ask with a big smile.

She just nods with a even bigger smile on her face than mine.

“Ready to order?” We look towards the booth opening and it's Minah's teacher, Lee Jongsuk. “Oh, Minah!”

“Teacher-nim!” she says even more excited, though I didn't think it was possible. “Are you here to celebrate my birthday too?”

I smile to him and ask. “How are you?”

“Good, thank you.” He answers and then looks to Minah. “My Omma and Appa own this restaurant, so I work here to help when they're busy and I'm not at the school.” He smiles to us and then says quickly. “Oh, Happy Birthday!”

She bows and says. “Thank you.” He smiles to me and I feel like we're just staring at each other, stuck in time. I hadn't noticed how handsome he was. “Omma, can't teacher-nim join us?”

I look to him again and say. “Of course, if it's not too busy?”

He smiles to us and nods. “I'll double check quickly.” As he leaves Minah smiles to me.

“Minah, Omma will be back in a minute, I'm going to check something.” Minah nods and as I leave the booth I'm surprised to see some work colleges. “Ah, hello.” I say with a small smile.

“Oh, Hyesung-ssi, what are you doing here?” They ask with a bright smile.

I point to the booth and say. “It's my daughters birthday today, so we've come for a meal together.”

“Oooh, does that mean your husband is here? We can finally meet him!” One says.

Another adds. “Wah, I don't think any of us have seen him before.”

“I want to see him.” The only male in the group says.

I nod. “He's on his way, just finishing work.”

“Honey!” I look up and see Jongsuk smile to me waving his hand. “Sorry I'm late, is Minah excited?” He comes towards us and wraps his arm around my shoulder.

I nod. “Of course, she's more excited to see you.” I start bluffing, then I remember telling him about my work situation. And how they thought I was married, he's helping me. “Sorry for the late introduction...” I say to the work colleges.

“It's nice to meet you, my name is Lee Jongsuk.” He smiles and gestures his hands to them all. He also hands out some of his business cards.

“Oh you're a teacher, how admirable.” One says with a big smile. “Well we'll leave you to your daughters birthday meal... bye!”

They all leave and I still feel Jongsuk's hand, which moved from my shoulder to my waist after he handed out his business cards. “Thank you.” I say meekly.

He smiles. “No problem.”

“It is a problem, I made you lie for me.” I frown.

He shakes his head and looks at me confused. “I lied, you didn't ask me to?” He puts his hand on my shoulder and reassures me. “I was the one who started that not you don't worry about it, if they for any reason turn up at the school or contact me I'll continue this.”

“What about your girlfriend?” I ask.

He tilts his head and asks. “What girlfriend?”

“Well, I assumed you'd have one, you're a great person and very handsome too.” I say then regret it, damn I just told him he was handsome. That's so unprofessional! This is minah's teacher afterall. “Sorry... I don't mean to-”

“Well, if I'm that handsome, you could really date me?” He says with a smile. It's boyish and charming, if I was the young Hyesung, the Hyesung without a daughter, I would have fallen for that and dated him.

I shake my head. “That's very inappropriate. You're Minah's teacher.”

“But first, before being at teacher I'm a man.” He states then he grabs my hand. “The offer is there, if you reconsider.” He then enters the booth and I hear him apologising to Minah for taking so long. I return too and we enjoy the meal together, people would probably think we're a family, maybe I should give Jongsuk a chance? I mean he's great with kids, so I know Minah would love it... she loves him anyway.

 

“Minah, did you have a good birthday?” Jongsuk asks. He's walking us home as it's now gotten pretty dark outside.

“Yes, it was amazing. Omma made me this tutu isn't it perfect!” He nods to her and then looks to me, we're walking in a line holding Minah's hand either side, everything tonight is making me think what if?

“Wow, Minah's Omma is very talented.”

Minah nods and then asks me. “Could you make something for Teacher-nim too?” She looks up at the sky and then states. “It's starting to get colder, maybe you could make him a scarf?”

I smile to her. “Maybe, I still remember how to make them.”

“Of course you do, you make them every year for me.”

Jongsuk looks to me and asks. “Do you enjoy making clothes?”

I nod. “I wouldn't say I have much of a talent for it, I never got the chance to study...since I had Minah so early.”

He purses his lips together and then answers. “I think you should go for it, make clothes and sell them? I would buy a scarf off you too.”

 

We arrive at our home and I settle Minah in bed before returning to the living area and thanking Jongsuk. “Well, I'll see you when Minah returns to school.” He goes to leave and I grab his coat.

“I really am thankful for today, but you didn't have to pay for the food as well.” I grab my purse. “Let me pay you for it.”

He moves away and says. “No way, if I can't treat my fake wife who can?”

I pout then remember everything he's actually done. “I wish I could repay you?”

“A date.” He says casually. I look to him and think about it. “Common, you're single, I'm single... we're attracted to each other? What's the harm?”

“If we don't work, I don't want to uplift Minah from your preschool.” I sigh. “She loves it there.”

He nods. “But if we do work... then Minah will have a mother and a father.” He holds my hand. “Take a risk?”

 

After he's gone I go to see if Minah has fallen asleep but she's sat up in bed playing with her tutu. “What's your birthday present you want so much Minah?”

She looks to me.

“You know the one you mentioned earlier, Omma's been so curious since then, I can't even digest that amazing food!”

She smiles and then looks out the window. “Omma, I think you gave me that present already...”

I look out the window too. I see Jongsuk walking away from the house. “Teacher-nim? Did you want to see him on your birthday? Oh, don't tell me... is this your first love?” I joke and she shakes her head. “So what? Tell me?”

“I want an Appa...” She smiles as Jongsuk goes out of sight. “But I think you gave me one today.” 

 

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

 

Thanks for reading 

128ve980'x