Thirteenth

Demigods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Approximately 13 minutes later, the dark haired boy was locked in Chloe’s room. (She lost count of how many times she had to say that yes, her room was safe and would hold him just fine.) The other 13 inhabitants of the house had gathered in the TV room. 12 were looking at Kris expectantly. Kris, on the other hand, was looking at Chloe curiously. There was something she wasn’t telling them, he decided.

She cleared and shifted slightly under his intense gaze. “You were saying something about your visit with the oracle?” she prompted. Kris blinked.

“Ah yes,” he began, “you’re all familiar with greek history I presume?” He directed his gaze towards Chloe as if somehow believing that she was clueless about her own country's history. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes and instead nodded her head along with everyone else. Did Kris even realize what greek school was like? “About how it fell to Rome and then all the gods were adopted by the Romans?”

Everyone winced collectively at Kris’ blunt words but nodded nonetheless. Greece’s fall and their gods’ reinvention was a bit of an elephant in the room for demigods. It wasn’t discussed. Ever. They were alive, weren’t they? The gods lived on and created them, did they not? No need to dwell on past heroes’ failures.

“Well, apparently those new gods are meeting our old ones.” You could hear a pin drop in the silence that ensued.

“What?” D.O.’s question wasn’t enough to express the confusion everyone present was feeling.

“Uh, Kris?” Suho began unsurely. “That’s not possible. They are themselves. It would be like meeting yourself. You obviously can’t--,”

“I know,” Kris cut him off. “We’re not sure how or why, but there’s a tear in the Magic.”

“Is that why…?” Sehun trailed off and his eyes flickered uncertainly towards Chloe.

The girl scoffed, a little annoyed she was being alluded to. “No. Whatever's going on, it's only been going on for the past couple of months. I've been part of this world for far longer.”

“How did you know that?” Tao asked, the weird persona that Chloe felt from him on the first night coming back in full force.

She looked at him blankly. “Know what?”

“That this has only been going on for the past couple of months?”

Chloe shrugged. Because that's how long I've been ​​​​​​blanking out and waking up in random places. “Lucky guess.” She wasn't technically lying. To her right, she could feel Kris narrow his eyes suspiciously at her.

“Anyways,” Baekhyun broke the silence threatening to fall. “How did this rift happen?”

Kris and Tao shared a look.

We don’t know,” Kris answered after a moment. “Unfortunately, the oracle is greek and can therefore only see greek events. We’d go see a different one but the problem is that any oracle we contact can only see things from their own side. Cooperation and translation is virtually impossible as well because not only are our two sides natural enemies but because the greeks can only speak Ancient Greek and the Romans can only speak Latin it's very hard to get communication going.”

“And yet the oracle can tell us about the rift in the Magic which has to do with the Romans as well as the Greeks?” Kai asked.

“Well that wasn’t exactly part of the prophecy, but the oracle we talked to was positive that that’s what’s happening.”

“Woah, woah,” Baekhyun interrupted before Kris could continue. “What prophecy?”

“Well if history is anything to go by, I’m guessing one that predicts doom, gloom, and our painful deaths,” Xiumin chipped in with a sigh, as if he was already resigned to such a fate and found it incredibly boring.

“I swear by the gods that if we're all part of yet another stupid prophecy to save this miserable plane--,”

“Watch your mouth, Luhan.” D.O. cut his friend off.

“Yeah, dude. There’s a whole section of the Bible that says ‘thou shalt not take

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter