Twelfth

Demigods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dinner that night was quiet. D.O. had cooked for everyone and had them all sit at the long table in the dining room. Leah found a seat between Lay and Suho, glad that they did nothing to further her discomfort. 

Leah was glad she opened her house to the boys. For nearly two years, the big house remained too empty and too quiet. So much so, she often found any excuse to leave it, to travel to another place, to explore something new. (She'll admit—if only to herself—that she was hoping for some kind of sign from above that her past wasn't just one bad dream.) She was glad for the boys because they were both the proof she searched for and the perfect weapon to chase away the ghosts of her past, that haunted the mansion. 

Unfortunately, this didn't make things any less awkward. The thing about isolating yourself from the world is that you tend to forget the subtleties and the finer points of social interaction. When you stop practicing a skill, you lose confidence in it. Two years ago, Chloe was more outgoing and confident. She would've easily called herself extroverted. But her years in isolation accustomed her to not having others around. She grew too used to the silence. 

Watching everyone put food on their plates and settle themselves in, Chloe wanted to run back to her room. A day wasn't enough to get her used to everyone's company. The feeling only worsened when she caught some of the boys shoot each other meaningful looks, confirming her suspicions that, without her, they would be far more comfortable and talkative. This fact only increased her desire to flee. However, despite her recent inexperience, Chloe knew that running away would only make things worse. Instead, she stayed put, waiting patiently in silence. 

That was until Chen decided he had enough. He turned to Chloe and said, "Suho thinks you're hot." 

The effect was immediate. Suho choked on his food. Chloe would've done the same had Lay not patted her back. D.O., Sehun, and Kai all snorted, trying not to burst out laughing. Baekhyun, Tao, and Chanyeol started straight up giggling, trying to keep their laughter to a minimum. Luhan, Kris, and Xiumin didn't bother holding back and roared with laughter at the absolutely stunned look that graced Suho's face. 

"What the hell, Chen?" he asked. His initial surprise had slowly turned into irritation. 

“What?” Chen asked innocently. “Everyone was making this so awkward, I felt I had to contribute.” 

Suho shook his head in astonishment. “I give up. You can defeat a sphinx almost single-handedly but you have the maturity of a middle schooler.” 

Chen grinned in response. “Correct!” he answered gleefully, ignoring Sehun’s indignant assurance that he did, in fact, help get rid of the sphinx. 

“B-but. I’m not--,” Chloe cut off. How did she explain herself? She knew she wasn’t ugly. She was blessed with pretty features from both her mom and dad. She also knew she possessed the grace and self-confidence of a warrior. However, she also possessed the body and attitude of one. She had her fair share of scars and the roughness of someone who’d lived through too much. 

Everyone stopped laughing and stared at her. Evidently, that was not the proper way to explain herself. To make matters worse, Chloe could feel her cheeks coloring ever so slightly. 

Suho, stuck in his far-too-caring ways and poor judgment, decided the best response was, “What are you talking about? Of course you are.” 

The momentary silence that followed was arguably more awkward than the beginning of this dinner. It took Suho a moment to realize what he said. He immediately backtracked. “Um, wha-what I meant wa--,”

Chen raised a hand to stop him. “Wait. Does this mean you actually find her hot?” 

“No!” Suho answered immediately. 

Sehun raised an eyebrow. “She’s una

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter