Eleventh

Demigods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh gods!” Chloe looked startled and concerned. “Chen! Sehun!” She ran over to the two boys. 

Sehun rolled over and groaned. Satisfied that he would be okay, she turned towards Chen. “Chen!” 

Suddenly, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her and pull her back. Chloe didn't stop to think. She flailed at the sudden contact and nearly punched whoever held her in his face when Lay’s soft voice sounded in her ear. “Woah, calm down, Chlo.” 

Kai grabbed her wrists to keep her from flailing again. Chloe looked up to find his concerned face looking at her. 

“Chen will be fine,” he said. “Using our power exhausts us and most of us are show offs who would gladly over do it.” 

Chloe nodded. Yes, of course. That made sense. But that wasn't the reason Chloe's heart was beating twice as fast as usual and adrenaline was pumping through her veins. 

Lay sighed. “I'll go take them inside.” He let go of Chloe and approached Chen. “Care to help me out, Kai?” 

Kai grumbled something about everyone using him for his power, but joined Lay anyway. By the time they left, Chloe's attention was on Baekhyun and Chanyeol, who were up next to spar. 

If she was honest, Chloe didn't know how to feel about Baekhyun. For the short amount of time she'd known him, he seemed mostly grumpy to her, but he was also so much more playful and relaxed around his friends. 

Though apparently, that relaxation didn't apply to sparring. He looked serious and ready. He stood calmly across from Chanyeol, who matched his stance. 

Chanyeol looked as loose and relaxed as usual. Though Chloe noticed his smile was faint and a tad bit more devious than usual. The shy and somewhat awkward boy that Chloe had caught glimpses of completely disappeared. 

Chloe wasn't sure who moved first, but Chanyeol dogged a harsh laser beam pointed at him and Baekhyun moved out of the way of a huge burst of fire, just in time. 

If Chloe thought watching Sehun and Chen fight was confusing, this was worse by a long shot. As far as Chloe could tell, Baekhyun and Chanyeol never made contact. Their swords never even appeared. Instead, they danced between balls of fire and beams of light. 

It was astounding to watch. The moment Chloe thought Chanyeol would get hit, he'd do something impossible like walk through fire to move out of the way. As soon as Baekhyun looked trapped, a piece of flame simply disappeared and he ran out. Chloe got the impression that if this fight didn’t end soon, she’d start to get a massive headache from trying to figure out what was going on. 

As if in answer to her prayers, Baekhyun disappeared. Literally. One moment he was standing in the middle of yet another ring of fire, the next he was simply gone. Chloe blinked, convinced her eyes were playing tricks on her. But Baekhyun didn’t reappear. 

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol roared, and the entire field exploded into flame. Everyone watching stumbled backwards a little from the sudden heat. So much for having a nice, green lawn, Chloe thought ruefully, already seeing signs of scorch marks. Her attention was quickly recaptured by the battle when Baekhyun reappeared. 

He was standing right behind Chanyeol, knife pressed to the back of the taller boy’s neck. On his face was a victorious smile. “I win.” 

Chanyeol growled softly, annoyed by the turn of events. Nonetheless, the flames slowly started to disappear off the field. The onlooking boys all clapped, and Chloe found herself joining in. Baekhyun and Chanyeol walked back to the rest of the group together; the short distance was enough to f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter