Chapter 07

Last Chance

"H-hi, so t-this is your partner for tonight?" He asks.

"Yes, what's the matter with that?" I ask, looking at him, weirdly.

"I guess that's the reason for me being rejected?" He asks, sourly.

Nodding my head, "Taeyeonnie, we really need to be going now." Oppa said.

"Bye, Baekhyun." I said.

 

Walking away with my brother instantly, if not, we'll be facing the wrath of my dad and I didn't want that but before that, I still look back to see him, looking down to the floor. What's wrong with you, Baek? I'm worried, I admit that and for that, I can't focus and didn't realized that we'd reached the backstage when suddenly Heechul shakes my shoulder softly, snapping me out from it and I look at him, blankly and cluelessly.

"Are you alright? That's the guy you told me about, right?" He asks in concern.

"Yeah, but no worries, I'm fine!" I said, smiling.

 

Suddenly, I feel nervous when I heard the guest clapping outside which means, the event is starting. And few more minutes, my identity will be revealed to the whole world and I might lost all the freedom as all eyes will be on me, that's why I never wanted to reveal my identity but now, nothing could stop it anymore. Soon, I could hear the sound of my dad through the speakers, few seconds left.

"Good evening, I'm Kim Byungman and welcome to every one of you to this annual dinner. I'm standing here today, personally, to cheer everyone with a drink first to thank you guys for attending and not only that, I'll be announcing the next successor of mine who will be handling my company after my retirement." 

I keep on breathing to calm me down, "It's alright, Taeyeonnie. I'm here, I'll be going up with you." Heechul said, gripping my hand.

"Now, please give a round of applause, welcome my one and only daughter and son to the stage." Dad said.

 

Soon, the venue fills with applause. That's the cue! So, I hold on to my brother's hand and walks up to the stage, following my brother steps and careful not to fall down, if not, I'll be making a fool out of myself. On the stage, I look around to see my friends giving me a thumb up, supporting me and there he is, Byun Baekhyun, standing there in shock with his mouth slightly ajar. Hence, closing my eyes and exhale once, I clear my throat and walks in front of the microphone.

"Good evening, I'm Kim Taeyeon. Pleasure to meet you all, please help me out a lot in the near future." I said, the guest claps their hands.

"And hello, I'm Kim Heechul and I'm currently the one who is in charge of the company in the overseas." He said, the guest repeats the same action, clapping their hand.

 

When we're done, we walk down from the staris and goes back to the backstage. But sadly, my brother had to left already because he needs to catch up with the plane, so I hug him tightly and bid him farewell. Few minutes later, I walk out from the backstage and head towards my best friends where I last saw them. We share a group hug, I laugh when they congratulate me for being the next successor of Kim Corps. Suddenly, a voice errupted behind us, making the atmosphere between us turns slightly bad.

"Look, who's here."

"What do you want, Anne?" I ask, coldly, turning to face her.

"So, you're a rich and you pretend to be poor all this time?" She said, mocking.

I scoff, "First, my dad is rich, not me. And second, I didn't pretend to be poor, I just pretend to be a nerd. That's a completely different things, don't you think so, girls?" I said, smirking at them.

They nods, "Exactly, a very big difference." Sunny said.

She grunts, "Well, but I have something you don't have." She sneers.

"You mean, Byun Baekhyun?" I said, reading her mind clearly.

She looks a bit shock, but she refrain herself from looking like it, "Yes."

 

Shaking my head at her, "Girls, do you want to have a drink?" I ask them, ignoring her.

 

Yes, I don't have him. But, that doesn't matter for now. Today is my dad's company annual dinner and I'm not going to ruin it because of you, Anne. I could get back to you any time, any place that I want. I'm not afraid of you and never will. The girls nod their head, so I smile and walks off, away from her and starts going to the bar section with my friends. But, I halt my steps more like I'm force to stop myself because Anne just holds my hand, tightly and painfully. I'm not letting her win, so I keep my face straight instead.

"While I'm still being kind, let go of my hand or else, I'll call the security." I said, coldly.

"And what if I still don't want to?" She dares me.

 

Suddenly, a hand grabs her hand, making her releasing her grips on me and I look up to see him, looking at my now red wrist. For a second there, I think I see guilty or hurt through his eyes, is it just me? But, I shrug it off and hide my wrist from him, doesn't want anybody to worry over it. 

"Thank you." I said.

 

Then, I walk away with my friends, doesn't want to stay there with them any longer. We're drinking and having fun, when suddenly, Yoona comes to my side and put her arm around my shoulder, raising my eyes to her level, I look at her weirdly and curiously.

"Unnie, don't your heart flutters?" She asks.

"Huh? Are you drunk?" I ask, waving my hand in front of her, clueless to what she's talking about.

She chuckles, "Pabo! Baekhyun save you, again. Don't your stomach flutters?" She said with admiration.

 

Yes, she's definitely drunk and she wouldn't remember anything she's talking about now, tomorrow. So, I just chuckles and order a juice because I can't drink a lot, I have school tomorrow and my alcohol tolerance is very low, so I should be extra careful today. Who knows what will happen if I happens to be drunk? It's even scary to myself to think about it. After drinking the juice, I excuse myself to go back home first, luckily, dad allowed. 

"I'll be going home now, you guys take care, go back early!" I said to my friends.

"How do you go back home? Can you handle it alone?" Yuri asks.

"I'll call for my chauffeur, don't worry!" I said, smiling, patting her back.

 

She nods her head, sending me off because she doesn't want me to be alone. I thank her and enters the car that my dad send for me, I wave to her and she did the same before going back to the venue. The first thing that I do when I reached home is change out from this dress - Urgh, finally! I feel so much more comfortable now! Then, I lay down on my bed and starts sending message to my friends, parents that I had reached home, safe and sound.

"Let's just go to sleep, Taeyeon." I said to myself.

 

However, I can't. I keep on thinking about him, Baekhyun, tonight and I had no idea why. I remember how he used to keep me happy, how he save me from the bullies in the school, how we became close friends, how he confessed to me and how cruel it is for him to hurt me after those beautiful 2 years of memories. I hate him, I thought I did but when I see how he's been saving me from Anne, I don't know, the hatred just disappear. Without me knowing, the tears fall down from my eyes, wetting the pillow.

"If only you love the real me, I wouldn't be this hurt, right now." I speak out my thoughts.

 

I force myself to stop thinking about it by listening to some random songs on my phone but all of the songs, the lyrics remind me of him. Gosh, why does everything involve with him? What had he done to me, to my life? I blame him but I know I'm the only one who should be blame, so I stop the music and just wipe away my tears, standing up from my bed and walks to the window to look up to see the moon.

"There's no stars to complete the night view, tonight. Just like my life."

 

Sighing, I walk back to my bed and lay down comfortably on the bed. Go to sleep, Taeyeon ah! You need to stop thinking about him! I take one of my pillow, cover my face and shout randomly on it, muting my voice. I do whatever I can to fall asleep.

"One sheep, two sheep, three sheep…" I count.

 

Grunting, I almost success in falling asleep when my phone suddenly beeped, indicating an incoming message. So, I glare at my own phone on the side table and takes it, trying to curse whoever messages me and when I open the content, I sigh. Sure, when will it ever end? I'm curious myself too. After replying the message, saying yes to it, I finally able to sleep well for that night as the tiredness is finally kicking in me.

"Let's meet up tomorrow, at the rooftop when the school end." The content of the message.

 

In the morning, Taeyeon wakes up late for the first time, so she runs off to the toilet and did her usual routine in ten minutes, surprising herself too because she usually use thirty minutes to do that. Back to the story, she decided to just wear something very simple that doesn't need to waste a lot of time in getting ready and walks out of her house, driving her own car today because there's no more time for her to wait for the bus.
 


 

The moment she arrives, she gots down from the car immediately and lock it before running as quickly as she can to her classroom, doesn't want to be more late than she is now. When she sees her classroom, she walks in a faster pace and knocks the door, the teacher is already in there, writing on the whiteboard about today's lesson. She stops and gulps inwardly, walking inside the classroom, beside the teacher and bow down.

"Sorry for being late, ma'am." I said, softly.

"It's fine, don't be late again, okay?" She said.

Nodding my head, "Go back to your seat."

"Thank you, ma'am."

 

I walk towards my seat and sit down on it, taking out the textbook that Mrs Lee is currently teaching and my notebook to write down any notes that I needed to. Few moments later, I look to the side to stretch my neck and finally realized that he's looking at me. But I shrug it off and focus on the class instead. Although I'm really curious why is he looking at me, but I can't ask him about that right?