vii. the 7th stage

Diverging

vii. But eventually, he slipped away from her fingertips and she could only stare at what there used to be.

This is Act 5 of Yuna and Soonyoung's ballet, a dance to unleashing their inner fears, desires and hopes.

Finally, the two idiotic main stars of this story had become an item. Took them long enough, don't you think? And to celebrate that, their first date was... to an amusement park. Surprisingly, this was proposed by none other than our beloved Choi Yuna.

"Seriously? An amusement park? You're more romantic than I thought you were, Choi Yuna," Soonyoung commented, somewhat amused with the choice of venue.

Upon seeing Soonyoung's reaction, Yuna flushed, but still returned his remark with some spunk, albeit failing somewhat miserably, "Well, it's only natural for a couple to do a couple of couple-like things after they become a couple, you know?" Of course, she never mentioned all the research she had done... not in front of Soonyoung, at least. That would be too embarrassing! But well, before the date, she had planned to come prepared with all the knowledge of what couples were supposed to do during dates, just like a soldier going inside a foreign battlefield. And for sure, this 'date' would be a success.

"You repeated 'couple' four times," Soonyoung casually pointed out with an apathetic face. But from his tone, Yuna could tell he was teasing her.

Ignoring the comment, Yuna forced an indifferent smile, pointed at a rollercoaster, and shrieked, "Hey, I want to ride that! Let's go." Without leaving the boy another opportunity to further, Yuna tugged his arm and pulled him to the attraction. Shaking his head, Soonyoung merely followed the girl, who appeared to be an over-enthusiastic child craving for an adventure.

Unfortunately, all her plans were thwarted after the first ride. In fact, Yuna appeared to be struck with all the excitement and energy she never had in all the years of her life after stepping off the rollercoaster with wobbly legs. She soon asked for another ride, went for the merry-go-round for three times, and then ran off to another rollercoaster with the speed of light.

Snap!

Of course, she brought her camera with her. She had photos of the rides and Soonyoung (who always photobombed almost every single picture). Ironically, Soonyoung was the one panting about, unable to catch up.

"H-Hey, Yuna! Wait!" he shouted at the zealous girl, who was somewhat oblivious amidst her bliss.

"Hurry up slowpoke. We only have five hours left, so we've got to make full use of all this time!" Yuna yelled back, taking glimpses of her watch as she ran. No wonder she had so much stamina... She was running after time all along!

Soonyoung scoffed, and with another heave of air, he sprinted ahead while shouting, "Right, Ms. Time-Obsessed!"

And so, this went on for the next hour, until Yuna abruptly realised that the website that gave her advice never said 'run around and let your boyfriend chase you like some goose'. Her footsteps gradually slowed down, and then she stopped, turning back at the poor guy who was absolutely amazed at how much his girlfriend could run. Even if she wasn't a dancer, she could be an athlete!

...Until he recalled the sickening illness she had been diagnosed with. He cringed momentarily. Now wasn't the time to worry about such matters. Yuna was enjoying herself, and that was all that mattered.

"...Sorry. It's too bad you can't keep up," Yuna muttered an apology, though it sounded more like her teasing him back for what he said earlier.

He groaned as he coughed out a retort, "Not even a tiger can keep up with you."

"What a compliment," Yuna brightly replied. Then, she eyed a rather sinister sign that was labelled 'Haunted' with skulls and ghouls decorated on it. According to the website, going to a haunted house was a sure-fire way to make a couple become closer. To quote from the website itself, "Go in the haunted house with your significant other, and you'll surely come out hugging each other, with the comfort of the other's company! Certified to be the best romantic scenario!" Frankly speaking, she didn't know how she would feel facing random ghosts, but she thought it would be a fun experience. It couldn't be that bad, right?

"Hmm, so now that you've recovered, let's go there!" Yuna proposed. With a curious glint in her eyes, she led Soonyoung to the haunted house. Upon seeing the sign and the shabby thing called a house, Soonyoung froze, eyes widening like actual saucers.

"Look, Yuna. I can even run a marathon if you ask me to. But please... Not the haunted house," he said, eyes vacant and blank.

It was unusual to see Soonyoung so shaken; in fact, precisely because of that, Yuna felt like dragging him there at all costs. It was not every time she could . Besides, a few ghosts weren't all that scary, right?

With a determined nod, she said, "Let's go." With strength unbefitting for an average girl, she dragged Soonyoung to the depths of hell.

"No..."

"NOOOOOOOOO!!!"

 

It was bad.

Scratch that. It was terrible. A tragedy!

Throughout the haunted house, both Yuna and Soonyoung were basically like puppies trying to find their way out, screaming and shrieking. Heck, one time Yuna thought she lost Soonyoung and started yelling all over the place like a banshee. True enough, they did come out hugging each other, but both of them were so traumatised that it could be hardly called 'romantic'.

Throughout it all, Yuna had not forgotten to take photos of Soonyoung's terrified expression. Thankfully, the guy himself seemed too zombiefied to care, or else he might have threatened her to delete them.

"Yuna..." Soonyoung mumbled, probably still trying to recover from the trauma.

Yuna smiled sheepishly. "Uh... sorry?" Frankly speaking, she regretted the decision, but who knew things would've turned out like this? Ugh, she should've known not to trust a random website...

"...I will let you off since you look even worse than I do," Soonyoung grumbled reluctantly as he eyed Yuna's ghostly state, still sulking. Yuna grinned cheekily, a playful glint sparkling in her eyes again. She still had something up her sleeve after all. As if resigned to fate, Soonyoung sighed.

"All right! As an apology for that, I'll treat you to ice cream. Let's go. We've taken 30 minutes for that haunted house already!"

 

After that painful experience, having some ice cream was indeed the best way to cool down one's mind. The pair their own ice cream eagerly.

"Want some?"

Soonyoung offered some of his chocolate ice cream to Yuna, who had chosen vanila ice cream instead. Nodding naively, she bent over to have a taste of the other's ice cream.

"...That's an indirect kiss," Soonyoung nonchalantly stated.

"An indirect- What?!" Yuna gasped and then flushed, her eyes fixated on the seemingly indifferent guy. He just merely smirked.

"All's fair in love and war," he said, as he continued to his ice cream like nothing just happened.

This guy...!

As revenge, she took a little of Soonyoung's ice cream and splattered it on his forehead. Of course, it left a dark brown mark, a stark contrast against his white skin. Yuna reflexively snapped a picture, and had to resist her sniggering until she saw the sinister gleam that Soonyoung's eyes had. Instantly, she ceased, a face so serious it was almost impossible to tell she had been laughing before.

"Yuna..."

"No playing with food, Soonyoung!" she exclaimed, and then she scuttered off like a rabbit escaping from its predator. Of course, Soonyoung couldn't catch up with Athlete Choi Yuna. Silently cursing his breath, yet unable to resist the smile that was forming on his lips, he ran up to catch up with his girlfriend.

"The pot is calling the kettle black here, Yuna!"

He did catch up with her, but Yuna refused to let him grab hold of her camera, instead forcing him to surrender with an assertive stare. And so, the camera continued to hold the many scandalous pictures of Soonyoung, all fiercely protected by the determined girl.

 

In the end, Yuna gave up on following the instructions the website had given. It also meant she didn't have a plan anymore (not that she really followed it at the start anyway), but she decided going with the flow, like what Soonyoung did, might make the date a more enjoyable one.

It so happened that they chanced upon a ride called 'Spinning Teacups'. The dizzy array of teacups spinning about in never-ending circles was enough to send pirouettes in an average person, but all Yuna did was smirk.

"Time for me to show my ballet prowess!" Yuna declared confidently, immediately queuing up for the next teacup. On the other hand, Soonyoung shook his head at the girl who had too much zeal for her own good, though he never stopped grinning at her.

Their next few minutes were spent spinning. As Yuna emitted cries of relief while stretching her hands high and wide, Soonyoung was shaking at a corner. By the time the ride had ended, Soonyoung felt so giddy he thought he could trip with a single step.

"Soon, you all right? You look like you need help," Yuna joked.

"Psh, don't boast, Yuna! I have enough of your games," Soonyoung complained, pouting. But then, a devious fire lit up in his eyes.

"...Let's go."

Without waiting for a reply, Soonyoung had led Yuna out of the teacup arena. Uneasiness crept in when Yuna noticed how stern the dancer's expression looked. He was like a lion craving for a challenge, and she was still a rabbit, following obediently behind him.

Where were they heading to?

 

Soonyoung finally let go when they reached a wide area dedicated for bumper cars. There were couples, friends and families alike riding the bumper cars, and bumping against one another with the most amount of force the car could muster. There was an intimidating air surrounding the people... so much that Yuna flinched.

"...Really, Soonyoung?" she asked sheepishly.

"Really. It's only fair you put up with my whims after I've put up with yours," Soonyoung insisted. Unable to refute, the girl sighed in resignation as she mentally prepared herself for the battle ahead.

The moment the two entered their bumper car, Soonyoung eagerly took hold of the steering wheel, and off they went.

"Woah!" Yuna instinctively let out a yelp when they hit onto another bumper car with the speed of light. No doubt, Soonyoung was an expert at this. He manoeuvred the car like an experienced driver, and skillfully avoided all attacks that came their way. The trail of their car was a dance across the sea of fire, and Yuna couldn't help but feel as if they reigned as victors.

Wanting to partake in that thrill herself, she asked to take over the control of the steering wheel.

...And that was where everything went downhill.

"WOAHHHH-" Soonyoung gasped when Yuna started swirling the car about like a mad, squiggly caterpillar. There was none of the tact and slyness that the car had when Soonyoung was still driving it; instead, the car dashed across in irregular motion, searing through all the cars with the speed of a bullet train. Seeing how the car was just roaming about in every direction possible, there was no pattern or technique, just blind drive.

The intimidating air of the people had by now dissolved, and instead everyone was staring madly at the crazy pair. Finally feeling victorious, Yuna sent them a triumphant grin, and Soonyoung, at her side, only sighed wearily.

"You're amazing, Yuna..." he could only say.

"I know."

 

Their last stop was the ferris wheel. Although Yuna told herself not to follow the website anymore, the last step stated in the website had been bugging her the moment they entered the amusement park.

"Ferris wheel is a must-go attraction when you're in an amusement park with your significant other! As you ride a cabin of love under the night sky, gazing at the face of your significant other, the love you have for each other will overflow like a dazzling waterfall..."

Although the exaggerated language of the website might have suggested its unreliability, Yuna was still terribly fascinated by the ferris wheel. There was just that idea of being up near the sky, and spending time in solitary while gazing down at the scenery ahead that made this attraction particularly appealing to her. If there was something that could allow her to slow her down in her pursuit for time, that would be the ferris wheel. Besides, it wasn't a terrifying place like the haunted house, so surely there would be no mishaps...

...Right?

When she proposed this, Soonyoung grinned as he joked, "You're such a romanticist, Yuna. Seems like you've done some research beforehand."

"Well, Mr. Float-with-the-wind, it's only right to have a plan- Wait, how do you know that? Are you a psychic?" questioned the suspicious girl. Was she that obvious?

Soonyoung flashed an enigmatic smile as he said, "You're just easy to read." Then, he strode ahead, without leaving much other explanation.

Yuna followed, pouting as she asked again, "And what do you mean by that, huh?"

Of course, there was no reply. As revenge, Yuna took a shot.

Snap!

"Ah, just the back... Oh well," she sighed, and then ran to catch up to him.

 

As Soonyoung and Yuna boarded on the next empty cabin, Yuna could see the wide expanse of sky ahead her. Night had descended, and the sky was now blanketed with darkness, safe for a few stars that twinkled in the distance. Someday, Yuna wondered if she could shine as brightly as they did.

The doors closed, and then the cabin took flight.

"Come closer," Soonyoung whispered. And then, their hands interlocked, their bodies shifting closer to each other. Sure, they held hands during their marathon around the amusement park, but this was the first time Yuna could feel his body warmth so close to her. Although she tensed slightly at the close contact, she also indulged in the foreign sensation of skin against skin. When had she been so close to someone? The last time was probably with her teacher. She was too immersed in her emotions to have noticed, but the warmth of her teacher provided her much comfort when she wept. This time, it was Soonyoung holding her, his company alone reassuring her that she wasn't alone.

They sat in silence, their eyes fixated at the dull scenery ahead of them. The stars and lights hung on the attractions were the only brightness amidst the darkness. Except for their breathing, the ticking of their watches and the movement of the cabin, there wasn't even a single sound. It was just them and the universe.

"It's been a long time since I've been so close with someone," Soonyoung blurted.

"That's what I was thinking. Not only are you psychic, but you're telepathic too," Yuna joked.

He laughed. Soonyoung always had the habit of erupting into uncontrollable bursts of laughter, and this time, it was no exception. And every time he did, Yuna would be influenced by his infectious laughter and chuckle along as well. Their giggling echoed in the silence, dissolving in the air as quickly as it came.

"Now you make me sound like some superhero," he commented, amused.

"Nah, you're more like the villain," Yuna said, dead-panned. 

Soonyoung's eyes twinkled with mischievousness as he pinched Yuna's cheeks, while stating, "Then you would be the accomplice."

"Psh," Yuna groaned, her irises reflecting that same streak of playfulness.

"When was the last time? With a girlfriend?"

"You're really possessive," Soonyoung mentioned, but released a breezy chuckle nonetheless.

He continued, "My mother. I used to give her hugs when I was young." His lips curled into a slightly nostalgic smile. He was probably reminiscing about his past now.

"I wonder how young Soon is like," she mused, her smile widening at the thought of a baby Soonyoung scampering about like a squirrel.

Soonyoung merely shook his head as he muttered, "Curiosity kills the cat..."

At the mention of his mother, Yuna thought of her own parents as well. They weren't much of an affectionate family, but she recalled how her mother would pat her head and smile encouragingly at her whenever she performed a dance. Her father, on the other hand, was stoic, and said nothing except for a few words of constructive criticism. However, she never forgot the fact that he was the first one who supported her decision to go for a dance academy, while her mother showed signs of sceptism.

All he told her was this, "Life is short. You just have to do what you want to do, Yuna."

These words impacted her in ways no other things could. She only smiled, nodded, and promised him that she would be happy.

The moments when she properly talked to her parents were few and far between, but she knew that all they had for her was pure, untainted love. So she resolved to fulfill her dream for both her parents and herself.

They hadn't talked much anymore. She kinda missed their silent actions that displayed all the love that words could not express. When was the last time she felt their warmth again?

In her pursuit for time, she had lost things that used to mean something to her. That included her time with her parents, with the world, and with herself. All that left inside her was slight regret towards her actions, yet she knew better than to lament about the past. Now that Soonyoung had given colour into the world she used to perceive as monochromatic, she was determined to change. Starting from the photographs of their past, the little moments she spent with her family, to the vibrant world out there and the man beside her... she was going to cherish all these memories, without letting time steal away any other things she might have missed.

And, she was going to have a bit more faith in her legs and herself too.

As the cabin car descended, Yuna said, "Before this date comes to an end, we should take a couple picture. A proper one."

"And a lot of photos of me, I bet," Soonyoung cheekily chipped in.

"Stop being such a narcissist!"

It was difficult to take wefies with a camera, so Yuna held out her phone. Snap! A photo was captured, featuring one boy and one girl, their smiles lit alight amidst the night sky, with the stars reflecting the effervescence of their grins. They didn't know how long the happiness would last, but for that moment, they were both happy. And that was enough for Yuna, who later looked back at the photo with fondness and remembrance.

 

Their second date was more of an indoor date, suggested by Soonyoung, maybe because he was traumatised by the rather crazy antics Yuna had pulled out during their first.

They merely sat at the usual cafe, enjoying the crowded sight of the streets and the mad honking of vehicles passing their way. The scent of coffee swirled in the cafe, leaving them with a lingering sense of warmth and sweetness.

"I don't think I've properly asked you this question, but being a street dancer... It must be fun, isn't it?" Yuna asked, her eyes b with curiosity. They always seemed to have serious conversations in quiet times like this, but those were talks which she appreciated a lot. To her, the world was like a treacherous battlefield, yet excitement overflowed her veins as she thought of the prospect of  experiencing newer and more things. It was her first time actually going to an amusement park, and strangely, it was more entertaining than she thought. The rollercoasters provided thrill; the haunted house provided fear mingled with some sort of adventure; the food provided satisfaction for her tastebuds. If street dancing meant exploring all the different landscapes and streets, then she was sure it was as exhilarating as this amusement park.

Now, she somewhat regretted just cooping in her dance room, practising the same steps again and again. Just how much vibrancy could these sights add to her dance?

Soonyoung lightened up as he said, "Yeah. Super fun. You get to see new things every day, appreciate the hustle and bustle of the crowd, meet new people who share their different experiences with you... It makes me understand the richness of life itself." He chuckled, as if recalling those fond memories, but then he ceased his laughter completely.

"Soonyoung?" Yuna questioned. His eyebrows twitched slightly, like he had been recalling unfavourable memories. And then, his lips curled into a slightly stiff smile.

"Nothing. I was just thinking... If an agency didn't select me, I might've quitted street dancing." he said.

Yuna couldn't believe what she was hearing. His words echoed her despair when she thought she had lost her way. Did he perhaps lose his way too in the midst of his journey to success?

"Why?" she asked carefully.

The smile on Soonyoung's face never fazed, as he replied, "I like street dancing, yes; it's a free job, yes; but it's not... safe," he paused, taking a sip of his bitter coffee while savouring the aftertaste.

"It's just like this coffee. It seems sweet at first, but the bitterness sets in later, when you question yourself... What if I can't make it out there? What if I'll just continue to be a shadow in the crowd, unable to stand out? You see... When I went to our high school, I already decided to quit street dancing."

"Y-You quitted?" Yuna questioned, still a little shocked that Soonyoung had really done that. He always seemed like a free spirit, but maybe he was like just any other human; all he wanted was stability and comfort.

"Was that why your answer at that time..." she trailed off, remembering his ambiguous response for her 

"Yes. I quitted, but I went back to it. I was hoping to find something I could feel passion for, so much that it would never dull even if I don't succeed. But, I think quitting it only made me realise how much I yearned for it. And maybe well... My admiration for your unwavering passion played a part in helping me realising that as well," he noted, a slight smile surfacing on his face.

"Then... Why did you want to quit again?" she asked.

This time, Soonyoung had put down his cup of coffee. What seemed like sadness flashed across his face.

"I wasn't sure again. I didn't want to waste time over something I didn't know I could succeed, you know?" he said. Then, as if alarmed, he emitted a nervous laugh.

"I didn't think about saying this before. I wasn't quite sure how to put it into words. But then, my worries were really all foolish, huh? Saying this isn't actually difficult as I thought it would be," he confessed, a sheepish smile plastered on his face. Yuna's gaze had never wavered from him. Silently, she pat his head, taking note of the way his eyes darted upwards in surprise and bewilderment, and how he his cheeks in like he was sulking about something.

"My mother often did this to me when I was afraid. But you're not silly, Soonyoung. I had my worries too. It's only natural that you feel this way. If not, you're just an alien species incapable of feeling," she reassured him, her lips curling into a motherly smile.

Nonetheless, Soonyoung's pouting didn't cease.

"This kinda makes me feel like you're treating me like a child."

"You are. Just a child in an adult's body," she blurted out, earning a light pinch from the male. Nonetheless, the dancer's lips quirked into a tiny, but grateful beam.

"Even though you at comforting... thanks anyway."

The corners of Yuna's eyes crinkled as she said, "I'll ignore that first part." Then, the two shared a laughter that only the two of them would understand, as they savoured the bittersweet coffee. And afterwards, the tinkering of bells sounded, signaling their departure from the cafe, and embarking to a new destination.

 

As the trainees were preparing for their debut, Yuna and Soonyoung had become busier and busier overtime. It occurred to Yuna that her leisure time at the past was really all gone, and she would soon stand on stage as a performer, proudly and confidently. She was going to fulfill her dream soon, and the thought of it warmed her heart. Yet, she couldn't help but lament about lost time. Being an idol meant giving up her privacy, and she wished she would have spent more time with her family, friends and even herself beforehand. If only she could see the beauty of the world beforehand...

She worried that her relationship with Soonyoung would grow distant like any passing relationship, so she tried to drop by his training room often with packed lunch. He did the same as well, and it was now a public secret that the two were dating. Of course, the company didn't know. There would be less complications if they didn't. Besides, Yuna was sure that her romance would not affect the quality of her performance at the slightest. 

Nonetheless, with all beautiful things, everything was bound to fall apart. And the reason was strangely very simple. Nothing mindblowing. Still, it dulled this momentum beauty and shattered whatever ideals and dreams they had about love.

This is the last act of Yuna and Soonyoung's ballet, a dance to unleashing their inner fears, desires and hopes.

 

A/N: I know. There have been so many delays with updates and I'm so sorry to everyone who has been waiting T_T My motivation for this story has really started to dull overtime, mainly because I wasn't satisfied with what had been writing and I had the verge of rewriting this whole story again lol (then again I feel this way with all my stories...). Besides, school starting really didn't help things. Now, I'm on my break, so I'm hoping to finish this story by December (yeah... it took me one whole year to complete a 11-chapter story, wow o_o). Thank you everyone who has stayed to finish this journey with me. Hopefully it'll be worth the while.