x. the 10th stage

Diverging

x. Nevertheless, she did not give in and left, immersed in wistfulness.

For quite a while, it was just Yuna, her work and her group. She barely had time to spare for her family, but she resolved to call them with her manager's phone as much as she could. Thankfully, their manager was kind enough to accede to her whims. Any stray wistfulness she had was buried under piles of schedules.

Naturally, there was no Soonyoung waiting for her at the other end of the spectrum, though she did see him once in a backstage of a music show. And he had caught her, just as she tried to escape from him.

"Yuna," he had muttered her name then. It was almost like old times. But what was gone could never be repaired.

She shut her eyes, heaving a sharp breath.

"Yes, Hoshi-sshi?"

Her tone was cold, foreign even to herself.

The distance between him and her almost stretched as long as the Han River did. Her heart ached, knowing that she was trying to lengthen the distance between them further. But she knew that would only benefit both of them. Having any regrets of what there was and wasn't would just hold them back from moving forward.

There was a bittersweet smile on Soonyoung's face. He was pensive for a moment, as if contemplating his words properly.

"I missed you," he whispered.

You were the one who left first.

A childish thought had invaded her mind, even though she knew she was just being petty. There wasn't any difference regardless of who left first. She had let him go, just like how he had let her go. But the resentment continued to spread flames inside her, swallowing her rationality whole.

This is why... This is why I wanted to leave. Because even if I miss you, I'll erase you, since it hurts less than resenting you.

"I don't know why you're suddenly saying this," she said, severing her emotions from her body temporarily. The longing to be with him was still there, but she only knew it was there because the happy memories filled the gaps of need that she had. She yearned for that elusive happiness, even if she knew she would never attain it again.

And she was sure Soonyoung knew that too, though he would not admit it.

"I... It will work out. I've been thinking about it, and even talked to my company about it. Our work should be kept separate from our private lives, after all," he explained, almost in a hollow plea.

That is right. But it's not just about the company, paparazzi or fans, Soonyoung. Now, we no longer have space for each other in our lives, and our priorities are far away from each other.

It won't work out, after all.

Of course, she was hesitant for a moment, upon observing his face again. His once smooth profile was lined with faint creases of wrinkles from worry and stress.

But both he and she knew that they were happy with their dreams, and they should no longer greed for more.

"We're not the same, Soonyoung. It won't work out," she repeated, her eyes glassy. Upon hearing that statement, Soonyoung's eyes lit up upon realisation. He stared at her once more. This stare lingered longer than she expected.

"I loved you so much... Where did you go? Are you leaving me because you don't like me anymore?" he whispered as his last attempt.

There was a wistful smile on Yuna's face.

"I want to remember us at our finest moments, not at our lowest. That's why..."

He stared at her once more with glassy eyes. This stare lingered longer than she expected. But soon after, he nodded slowly, turned back and walked off, his shadow appearing more forlorn than before. This time, he didn't look back.

And she walked off too.

It was like a train was separating them as they diverged to their individual paths—that train being time.

 

When the clock hit 11:11, sometimes Yuna would gaze out at the window, muttering a silent wish to herself.

I believe I'll be over you.