xi. the 11th stage

Diverging

xi. If only she could run through time and become an adult again...

As Yuna and Soonyoung moved on with their lives, they kept up with their endless pursuit against time while changing along with the breakneck pace the entertainment industry was moving in, independent from each other. What innocence they had left from their youth was transformed to that of pragmatism.

Sometimes, Yuna liked to look back at the photographs they had taken and think about the what-ifs. What if they had tried harder? What if she accepted him? Would they become happier or even worse of than before? She never did have an answer to these questions. 

Next, the regrets she had about their relationship surfaced in her mind. What if she told him 'I like you' more often? What if she showed more affection to him? What if she wasn't so rigid most of the time?

Now that she was an adult, she was sure she would be more forthright. If they had been adults, she was sure they wouldn't have to separate because of such trivial problems.

At the same time, she knew. Teenage love was stupid, foolish and incredibly innocent. It was the kind of love where one would stumble and fall, but is able to pick oneself up anyway.

And for that, she felt somewhat relieved. The fleeting romance they shared in their youth was precious. Its imperfections made it precious.

With that conclusion, Yuna was able to look at the photographs with a refound fondness.

Never did she expect that they would talk again.

However, their reunion came in the most unexpected way ever. After Gfriend and Seventeen had become the top boy and girl rookie groups respectively, they were assigned to do a collaboration.

And if fate had it, Soonyoung and Yuna were paired up together.

Both teens gawked at each other, one in utter disbelief and the other in pensive silence. Their group members who already knew what happened cooed at them.

Yuna heaved a resigned sigh as she mumbled, "I wonder if my great affinity with you is a blessing or a curse..."

A wry grin surfaced on Soonyoung's face.

"Perhaps it's both." 

No one knew what entailed the two. It could be another  trainwreck, or maybe they could meet again despite being parallel lines. The latter was more unlikely, but from experience, Yuna knew that feelings broke all logic and reason. It wasn't impossible.

And even if life never really gave her definite answers to her questions, she was sure of something else with this new meeting. That no matter what, they would keep chasing after each other, pushing at each other, falling, and end up pulling the other up anyway.

A/N: Finally. Diverging has ended, and I cannot be more than happy. I do have my regrets for this story... For one, I think I overused the 'fate' thing way too much and you guys are probably sick of it by now xDD I also think that the characters of Yuna and Soonyoung weren't very consistent. Also, my inspiration really dropped halfway through the story but I wanted to finish this story really badly too. And here I am! I think the result could be better, but this is still the longest story I've written so far (I have such short attention span omg) and I'm proud of the message I'm trying to convey through this story. I may come back to edit this story again, so we'll see.

P.S. The ending is meant to be ambiguous, because I'm a sadist- Lol just kidding, but I guess the point of the story is how two individuals come to influence each other. For me, the final relationship status never matters, although I do have my own stand regarding this ending. But for now, I'll just leave it open to your own interpretation. xP Thank you to everyone who've supported Diverging so far. So long!