i. the 1st stage

Diverging

11 stages of Choi Yuna and Kwon Soonyoung's love that started and ended at the same point.

i. She approached him and they crossed paths for a moment, casting a glance at the opposite party.

Tick tock, tick tock.

By the time the clock hit 7.30, Yuna sprinted to her destination while carrying her usual plain black backpack. Tied to the side of the backpack was a pair of worn-out ballet shoes. Despite the haggard state of the shoes, the contrast of the light pink against the black background surfaced a proud scream from the shoes, "I'm Choi Yuna's property! No matter where she goes, I'll always accompany her!"

The said person directed her line of vision straight ahead with little regard for the strangers she whizzed past. She only had one goal in mind: to reach her ballet academy as soon as possible.

Originally, ballet lessons only started at 9am, but her tingling body couldn't resist an hour worth of wait. Even as she dashed to the destination of her dreams, the unconscious urge to twirl in the air ticked against her heart, only suppressed by Yuna's rational thought that 'twirling in the air in public is only an action committed by lunatics'. Still, her spoiled passion was bursting and oozing with streams of energy, which might very well flood her tiny defenses of rationality if she didn't hurry to her ballet class immediately.

Seonsangnim is probably there already. She knows I always reach early.

While most students dragged their feet into the class at 9am sharp, or sometimes even a few minutes later, Yuna had never missed a second or minute. In fact, you could say that the seconds and minutes missed her. Even her ballet teacher herself used to arrive at 8.30am. But after the first few lesons with Yuna, her teacher miraculously began to appear fifteen, twenty or even thirty minutes earlier than her normal arrival time.

Thanks a lot, seonsangnim. I always seem to trouble you somehow...

Yuna silently thanked her teacher in her mind as she continued to run.

There was still a distance away before Yuna would reach her ballet academy. She checked her watch again and again. 7.54am. 7:55am.

Ah, 1 minute has just passed! Choi Yuna, hurry up! When you're just a regular dancer among the mass of talents, not even a second of practise can be wasted!

All of a sudden, the loud, booming music of what sounded like Don't Let Me Down blasted in the once silent air.

Weird. Is someone having a performance out this early in the morning?

Her curiosity pulled her steps to an eventual stop. She peered in the direction of the music.

The sky was still a stretch of light blue with only a faint tinge of light orange. Under the vast sky was a lone dancer who was bouncing about to the beats of the music. The small streams of people hurried by the young boy without even stopping to watch his dance. They were probably rushing to their next destination in life and had little time to spare for entertainment.

I was too. Why am I stopping now?

The dancer's movements were both fluid and sharp. His transitions to every action flowed as smooth as water, but at the same time, the vigour in his dances blazed through. His facial features contorted with each strike of the signature 'Don't let me down' line, as if all his faith and hope lay in the maiden which the Beatles was singing about. Although the numerous spins that highlighted the power of the chorus were impressive stunts, Yuna herself was more awestruck by the pulsing emotion showcased in his simpler gestures when the verses came.

This dance... Why does it feel powerful yet almost fragile?

For a moment, Yuna just scrutinised at the guy who was immersed in his own dance intently.

This song is one that revives the Beatles' start in their dynamic experimentation with music...

And over here, his choreography harbours a semblance of lingering hope in the midst of the other more intense actions.

Objectively speaking, there were quite a few technical faults Yuna could spot in his dancing. His neck and shoulders were tenser than they should be and his hips were slightly tilted.

But when it comes to dancing, it is really all about telling a story. And if he has fulfilled that criteria, then he has a lot of potential as a dancer.

Before any of them knew it, the music concluded in a flash. Beads of sweat slided down the dancer's clear skin and shattered as soon as they hit the ground. Unlike those fragile drops of liquid, he maintained a steady albeit weary posture. His ragged, quick breaths echoed through the morning air as he tried to smoothen out his shaggy black hair, albeit in futile efforts.

Yuna clapped fervently. For a moment, the dancer looked up and he held her gaze with his.

His eyes remind me of two tiny clock's hands when they turn 10:10. Just 1 hour and 1 minute away from 11:11-

Wait a minute!

In the midst of Yuna's musing, she snapped out from her daze and shot a glance at her watch.

8:00am. That's 5 minutes gone! I better hurry now before I start dawdling and waste more time!

"That is... good," Yuna coughed, unsure of how she could express the extent of 'good' that she felt so vividly. Her mind was always flaming with opinions, yet when it came down to real talking, she had never been able to voice them out.

Oh, whatever. I don't really have time now to stay and talk anyway.

"Good luck then. Try to relax a bit more and you'll be finer than you are," she left that final piece of advice, a gaze that lingered more than it should and continued to run towards her original destination before waiting for the dancer's reply.

After that day, she never once saw that 10:10 face at that corner of the street again.

Is he okay...?

Well, whether he is or not, it doesn't really matter to me.

He was a fellow dancer, and so she expressed her concern to someone who might be pursuing the same dream as she did. Yet ultimately, he was just but a stranger. In Yuna's eyes, she had enough problems of her own to be worried about a stranger's wellbeing.

That was the first time.

A/N: Originally, I planned for this to be a oneshot but I've decided that releasing this in stages will probably be a less burdensome read (and it's also easier for me haha). The first two stages will be a little shorter for your liking (they're introductions after all), but the third stage will be a proper chapter about their development of our two MCs' relationship~ I hope you've enjoyed this short introduction so far, and feel free to leave me feedback if you have any!
*P.S. Did you get that Glass Bead reference (sort of)? It's actually really lame, random and a stretch but I thought it was fun to include it anyway o/
**I feel like I've been describing dances way too often lately HAHA. What do you think of that dance description?