Pentagon

Little Things

Title: Pentagon
​Word Count: 1240
​OTP: Wooyu <3 (Wooseok x Yuto)
Random Tags: #fluffish #sixth #found inspiration in an artwork #this song is lyf #wooseok #yuto #wooyu

<><><><><><><><><><>

​Everything was monochromatic.

 

The world this people was living in was devoid of ​color​. To average people, color was something non-existent. It was a questionable term wherein many people cannot see, therefore cannot believe. All people could see was shades of gray, black, and white. These were called color to some extent, but these people did not experience how vibrant blue was, how warm red was, how energetic yellow was, how tranquil green was, and so on. According to the olden legends, it was originally a world of color. However, a genetic mutation occured and the eyes of humans could only see in a grayscale spectrum. It was a movie of the 1970's or the 1960's even. However, this world was not enclosed inside the four walls of a television. It was reality.

It was a depressing reality.

 

Wooseok woke up with a start.

​He thrashed and rolled around his bed, as if the movements would muffle the sound coming from his loud alarm. He pressed his pillows on his ears, trying to muffle the sound, but to no avail. A low groan slipped from his lips as he sat on his bed and reached out for his phone on the dresser. He turned off his alarm, placed it back on the dresser, and lied back down to try getting a few more minutes of sleep. He had no luck. His mind was already wide awake. A deep sigh was relieved from his lips. He did not want to stand up yet. He did not want to move just yet. He wanted to stay in his bed where everything was an imagination of color​. But alas, he needed to get up.

His mundane​ day was about to start again.

​Get up. Toothbrush. Shower. Uniform. Breakfast. Commute. Academics. Extracurricular. Commute. Homework. Chores. SNS. Sleep. Repeat.

​It was a never-ending cycle. Even though there would be bits of differences here and there such as going out to see movies or being able to campout with his hyungs in the music club, it would still return to the same cycle. Sometimes, Wooseok had asked himself what motivated him to continue on living in this lonely world. He already had thoughts about it. An existential​ crisis, if one would prefer. He had cold, infuriating thoughts at the back of his mind about people and society. About what people could think when he disappeared from their lives. Those irrational thoughts that kept lingering, waiting for their moment to strike and become more than thoughts but actions​. Wooseok knew better.

​He was motivated because he wanted to see color.

​According to his grandparents, not everyone died without seeing color. They were the living proof. It was just that people were too depressed to see the color right in front of them. His grandmother saw the sparkle of color when she found her vocation which was teaching young people. Everything became vivid from then on. His grandfather was gifted the vision of color during their wedding, when Wooseok's grandmother walked down the aisle. One could be given the gift of color when they have already decided upon their purpose in life. ​Their universe, their eternal light to live, as his grandparents would say. Sometimes it was abstract. Sometimes it was a person, an animal, or an object. As long as the epiphany of their purpose was signified by that thing, their world would be filled with color. His grandparents would then proceed to talk about how Wooseok had blue shorts, brown eyes, fair​ skin and the likes.

That was what motivated Wooseok.

He wanted to find his color.

​His universe.

 

​It was around 8:00AM in the morning and it was the first day after spring break. He had met with his hyungs in the music club before he proceeded to his classroom. It was the same old setting, with him in the middle column and last row because of his height. He placed his bag in the chair and made a little chat with his friends for the first time in a while. There was a talk of a student transferring to their class. It was a new sight to see. Someone from abroad would be their new classmate. Wooseok felt a bit melancholic for the transferee. The new student would get culture shocked, but he thought that the transferee had his or her own reasons.

​The school bell rang and they went back to their seats. Their teacher entered, followed by a young man who had the same uniform as them. Just as Wooseok began to sit on his chair, he looked at new student to see... something different​. It was not black nor white. Not even shades of gray. The gears of his mind suddenly fell into its proper place and began working. It was their spring uniform, so the new student was wearing a blazer that had the logo of the school on top of his polo and necktie, partnered with long pants. Wooseok blinked, but it was still there​. Blue​ blazers, white polo, black necktie, blue​ pants ​tan skin, brown eyes, silver​ hair. The transfer student ​had​ color. And Wooseok was seeing it. He became speechless. He could not believe it.

​His world suddenly began to paint itself with different colors. A gradual process. As if one miniature brush was coloring his reality.

But it was definitely a start.

​"Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Yuto and I came from Japan. Pleasure to meet everyone," the transferee spoke in a deep voice and bowed to the class.

​Yuto was directed to the empty seat beside Wooseok. The Japanese obliged and sat on the chair at the last row. While he walked, Wooseok kept on staring, as if he had seen an angel that had fallen from the sky. He never thought he would see his universe​ at such a young age. He thought that he would see color when he was 25, or even 50. He was willing to wait for that long. But fate had other plans. This transferee named Yuto was his purpose in life. The eternal light. Wooseok would never​ let this chance slip away from his fingertips.

​Once the teacher began his lesson and faced the chalkboard, Wooseok ripped a page out of his notebook and began to scribble. When he was done, he sneakily passed it to his side. Yuto furrowed his eyebrows in response but he got the paper without getting caught.

Can you see color? It was written.

​Wooseok pursed his lips in dismay once he saw Yuto immediately shook his head. At least Yuto knew about the colors. But when Yuto looked back at the taller male, Wooseok noticed a shift in Yuto's expression. Astonished. Bewildered. Amazed. It was a mix of emotions that he could not decipher. Or maybe he could, and he knew that one word that could describe it.

Bliss.

"You have beautiful, brown​ eyes," Yuto spoke cautiously, his voice faltering and his eyes beginning to swell with tears.

Wooseok couldn't even grin. He was too dumbfounded to process the information. He had just found out that Yuto would​ become the purpose of his life. He did not know how or why, but he couldn't be wrong. His heart was beating so quickly that he almost​ believed it was love at first sight.

But Wooseok knew better. He needed to work his way to win Yuto's heart.

 

​Grandma. Grandpa.

 

I have found my universe​.