Organic Song

Little Things

Title: Organic Song
​Word Count: 1220
​OTP: Huidawn <3
Random Tags: #fluffish??? #angst-ish #second #I LOVE THIS SONG #IT RELATES TO ME ON A SPIRITUAL LEVEL #hui #edawn #huidawn #what are your thoughts??

<><><><><><><><><><>

"Ah, hyung. I need your help."

 

​It was almost midnight, better yet, a few minutes before the clock struck twelve. Hwitaek and Hyojong were still in the studio polishing the latter's song. Entitled Organic Song​, Hyojong would use this song in the one-versus-one performance in a few days. Hyojong felt really embarassed in asking for help when his hyung also had his own battle with Jinho coming up. In all honesty, he was excited on how things would turn out between the two main vocalists. But he was there, asking for help from Hwitaek. He felt like cheating but he really needed his hyung's voice for his song. He felt that it would match the song way better and complete the feeling it should convey.

​His only regret was that the older male was leading him instead of the other way around.

​"Yah, Dawnie. You okay?"

​Hyojong blinked and looked at Hwitaek's face that had 'worry' written all over it. The former could only chuckle and nod lightly in response. He needed to hide those feelings away for the moment. Those feelings of embarassment. Those feelings of guilt. He needed to hide everything away. It was for the best. It was for the song, after all. It was for one point in his graph.

​"I'm fine, hyung. Just a little tired," Hyojong spoke half the truth.

​"You sure? Well we can continue tomorrow morning," Hwitaek said as he leaned back and stretched his arms in the air.

"No."

That might have come off more rude than what he had expected. Hwitaek was slightly taken aback by the tone of voice but Hyojong immediately tried to explain.

"I-I mean I think we must finish this now. You still have to practice on your own, hyung."

​"Don't worry. I have been practicing myself. And Shinwon is also getting help so I got my time budgeted," Hwitaek said with an assuring grin.

​Hyojong just really admired Hwitaek. Sometimes he wondered what Hwitaek's motivation was. Think about it. They were all headed for a one-on-one battle, and his hyung still needed to prepare for his own battle. It was Jinho they were talking about. Both of them were great singers but Jinho may have the advantage for Jinho has more experience than Hwitaek. It was the ​battle of the century​ for them. But Hwitaek was there, helping out s in their own battles. He did not understand sometimeshow the older male could manage to be there even if it meant sacrificing his own time.

​"So, what do you think? Should I sing it in a pitch lower? Or do you think it's enough?" Hwitaek began, playing the finished product in repeat.

​Hyojong thought of it carefully. In all honesty, he wanted Hui to sing it in a pitch ​higher​ almost to a whistle. He thought that it would fit the song way better. But if he said that, then they would be there for another hour or so. He did not want Hwitaek to stay up just for him. It was difficult wasn't it? To be trapped in front of a crossroad. Hyojong, in all honesty, wanted to finish the song already, but he sincerely wanted to face the battle alone. But he was there, anyway. Hyojong sighed softly, almost exasperatingly. Those conflicting thoughts in his head was irritating him. He tried to clear his mind, but those thoughts was just too frustrating. So many things he needed to consider...

It was getting way too loud.

Just then, Hwitaek reached out and flicked Hyojong's forehead. Hard. The latter blinked at the sudden pain on his forehead. But it had helped. A lot. It got him out of his trance. His mind cleared a little as he looked at the older male who was smiling at him. Tired, amused, optimistic. That eyesmile made him feel different. Hyojong reached for his forehead and rubbed it gently in response to the flick.

​"We're done for the night. It's already getting to you," Hwitaek said with a small chuckle, looking back at the computer screen. "A pitch lower or a pitch higher?"

​"Higher," Hyojong whispered, but enough for Hwitaek to hear it.

​"Higher it is. I'll record it tonight. You go get some rest."

​"I won't. Let's go back to the dorm together," Hyojong retorted.

​"Yah don't worry. I'll record as quickly as possible. You better get some rest and listen to it in the morning, or later to be exact."

"I'm more worried about you."

​Hwitaek looked back at Hyojong with a tilt of his head, as if demanding an explanation. Hyojong was just as taken aback as Hwitaek. The former did not even know that he could muster up those words. That he could say what he wanted to say in front of Hwitaek. Well, he knew they were the closest between the members and was confident with it. But that time, it was different. It was not his rants. It was not his concerns. It was Hyojong's sincere and raw feelings for that night. The crossroads disappeared. His mind became silent of one clear thought, that he was worried for Hwitaek's well-being.

​"We have the same job, you know. The same battle. You should get some rest too," Hyojong continued, raising a nonchalant facade in front of him.

​Hwitaek blinked but just laughed softly in response. A faint smile lingered on his lips as he reached out to hold Hyojong's hand. A touch that Hyojong was not prepared for, even if they have already shared a lot of skinship interactions. A touch that Hyojong was thankful for, despite having the lingering and conflicting thought of they must continue. A touch, that made Hyojong feel different.

​"I guess so. What about your song?" Hwitaek asked, as if to confirm whether they should return to the dorm already or not.

​"It could wait. The only thing left to add is your part, anyway," Hyojong spoke silently, lightly squeezing the hand he was holding out of subtle affection and admiration, "We can do better once we have rested."

​"Alright then. Let's go home," Hwitaek concluded as he began to save the files and close the desktop.

​Hyojong heaved a small breath. They had a long day. A really long one. Everyone was practicing for their battle. Everyone had a recording of their weekly videos. It was utterly exhausting. They needed some rest.

Hwitaek needed it the most.

​Once they were out of the studio, they walked down the stairs and exited the building. On the way back to the dorm, it was quiet. Comfortable, but silent. Neither Hyojong nor Hwitaek had said a word. Maybe it was out of exhaustion. Maybe it was out of their conversation. Maybe it was out of frustration. Hyojong was not so sure himself. These lingering thoughts were always his enemy. He did not want to listen to his thoughts anymore. All of it was too much.

​And of course, Hwitaek knew.

Hyojong was an easy book to read for Hwitaek.

​The leader reached out to hold Hyojong's hand and intertwined their fingers. Hyojong's eyes widened slightly out of shock and looked back at the older male who had a charming smile on his face.

Small, but still helpful.

​"Yah. Cover your ears."

 

​"You know, hyung. You are really​ bad at puns."