Chapter 4

I Could Not Ask For More
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sympathy is what Tiffany felt when Daniel told her about her annoying landlady's family background. For this reason, she arrived with the decision of treating Jessica nicely no matter how terrible her attitude is towards her. She did her chores without a single complaint, she started waking up on time or earlier than expected, and she also tried to cook for the Jung during the day their classes resumed after the holidays. Unfortunately for Tiffany, the latter attempt was an epic fail because of her lack of skills in cooking.

At first, Jessica pretended that she's contented with the taste of Tiffany's raclette. She did so because it's her way of showing appreciation for the American girl's efforts given the fact that it's her first time to cook. But when the latter demanded for an honest evaluation, Jessica stopped restraining herself and became the savage Tiffany has known her of. Therefore, the New Year's Resolution of 'befriending the vermin Jessica Jung' immediately became crossed out of Tiffany's list.

"You're not planning to kill Sica with that glare, are you?" Sooyoung asked the American girl sharing her table at the school's cafeteria. Jessica at that time was seated comfortably on the next table while her friend's ordering their lunch. "You're the only person in this school who's looking at her like someone holding a grudge on her. Why? Do you hate her? Sica's a nice person Tiff. You shouldn't be hating on her."

Tiffany scoffed at Sooyoung's description of Jessica. She agreeds that the girl is a nice person but she's only like that to other people. When it comes to her, she becomes different. In fact, Tiffany believes that her beautiful antagonist is both an angel and a devil.

"Sica is not really what you think she is," Sooyoung fended as if she was able to read what's on Tiffany's mind. "If you'll get to know her more, you're going to love her like the rest of us do."

"I can't imagine that happening. Never," Tiffany countered and then she said to herself: "They've become blinded by her smile. If they'll live with her too, they'll know that I am right."

The two girls' petty conflict continued as days go by. Even inside their classroom, Tiffany tried to outweigh Jessica by giving her best in every class discussion and during return demonstrations of the different nursing procedures.

"You've got to be kidding me," Tiffany said when the professor announced who will be her partner for the return demonstration of inserting an intravenous line. The decision making was done through a fishball draw where Tiffany's unlucky hand picked the roll of paper with Jessica's name on it.

The professor was surprised with the American girl's brazenness, but she still maintained her cool in defending the result of the draw. "The lottery is not kidding Miss Tiffany Hwang. Miss Jung really is going to be your partner for the next return demo. Why do you look unhappy with the result? You and Miss Jung are the top performing students in this class. So I believe that Jessica will be able to successfully insert the needle to your vein at the first attempt. The same thing will go with you. I have that much trust on your skills."

Tiffany stopped asserting and just returned to her seat. She glared at her seatmate who flashed a sardonic grin to . "Try purposely failing on your first attempt and I'm going to poke your veins several times until you bleed to death," she warned her.

"Oh really?" Jessica countered in a mocking manner. "You won't be able to do something like that Tiffany. An angel will surely stop you from hurting the sacred body of Jessica Jung."

"Sacred? Tch! How conceited! It's such a pity that you didn't inherit your mother's attitude. I believe she's an even nicer person off cam unlike a savage like you."

Jessica was silenced by the mention of her mother. She looked at Daniel who bowed his head upon meeting her gaze. Indirectly, he apologized for divulging an information about her mother.

A few seconds after they were dismissed, Jessica grabbed Tiffany by the wrist and dragged her to the orchard. "What is it that you know about my mother?" she asked in a serious tone. "What did Daniel tell you about her?"

"Why are you so concerned about it? If you're thinking of reprimanding your friend for telling me about your mom, don't do it. It's not his fault. I begged him to tell me about your past because your behavior during Christmas puzzled me."

"How about my dad? Did Daniel tell you about him?"

"I don't know who he is. What I know is that his identity is also a secret."

"Did you tell anyone about who my mother is?"

"Of course I didn't. Even if I hate you so much, I am not going to spill the beans your mother kept until she died." Tiffany turned her back and left. But she halted when a question crossed her mind. "How about you?" she asked Jessica. "Is this how you want it? For your identity to be kept a secret?"

A pregnant silence befell upon them. When Jessica was about to say something, a man in his late twenties interrupted their conversation. "Finally! I found you," the guy said to Jessica. He looks familiar to Tiffany but she couldn't put her finger to where she first saw him. "Why are you not answering my calls? Your class is already over, isn't it?"

"I...I left my phone and my bag at the classroom," Jessica replied in a stutter. There's something in her actions that was suspicious for Tiffany. "Why were you looking for me? Do you need something again?"

"I need to borrow your car. I'm taking my girlfriend for a date later today. Your car's cooler than mine so let me borrow it for a day Jess. I promise I'll return it tomorrow."

"W-Why don't you just ask your brother to lend you a car?"

"Nah. I don't even want to give it a try. Hyung is always reprimanding me whenever I come to him for help. You're the only one helping me in situations like this. Come on Jess. It will only be for a day. I promise I'm going to return the car in good shape."

"O-Okay. I'll tell Daniel to give you the key. Just wait here."

The guy smiled and tousled Jessica's hair. "Good girl," he said before Jessica left, dragging the curious Tiffany.

"Who was that?" the American girl asked. "He looks Korean so I doubt he's related to Daniel. What's his name? And how is he related to you? He wouldn't be casually asking you to lend him your car if you're not close to each other."

"Stop asking and just keep walking," Jessica stated simply. Even if they're already at the hallways, she still kept holding at Tiffany's wrist. Hence, the students they passed by kept looking at them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter