Chapter 14

I Could Not Ask For More
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: I made a few changes in the previous chapter. I suggest that you read it first before you proceed with this chapter. It's in a different font color to make it easy to identify the part that I edited. 

Jessica is supposed to say 'Thank you' to Mr. Moon. She is supposed to be grateful to him because he helped her find her mother's killer. But because it's too much for her to know that Mrs. Jung is the reason why her mother died, Jessica wasn't able to do anything other than to walk away without saying goodbye. Tiffany and Sooyoung approached her at the hallway, carrying with them the news they just heard from the customers and Sooyoung's parents. They opened their mouths to say something about it but paused when they saw Daniel giving them the signal not to do so. After all, Jessica's expression says it all - she is in a state where any kind of news is not welcomed at all.

Afraid that something might have happened to her friend, Sooyoung insisted to accompany the trio to Jessica's house. The latter said nothing on their way home. And when they got there, she went straight to her room and closed the door, though leaving it unlocked. Tiffany wanted to talk to her so bad. But she knows that Jessica's action means she needs some time alone.

"Daniel?" Sooyoung called, earning the attention of the young man who spaced out while worrying about his bestfriend. "Can you tell us what happened at the meeting? Jessica's acting strange. It's like she's reverting to her desolated self. Why? What did the businessman do to her?"

"Mr. Moon didn't hurt her if that is what your thinking Soo."

"Then what did he do? Why did Jessica become like that?"

"Umm it's...it's because Mr. Moon told her something about her mother. He told her about the news that's circulating now."

"You mean about the involvement of the First Lady to the death of her mother?" Daniel replied with a simple nod. "H-How? Are you saying Mr. Moon also know who Jessica is?"

"Yes. I'm afraid he knows a lot about her. Do you remember the spy I told you about?" Both Tiffany and Sooyoung nodded. "Apparently that spy wasn't hired by Mrs. Jung. It's Mr. Moon whom he worked for. He gave him the task to investigate Miss Song's death. In other words, the reason why Mrs. Jung and the gunman were arrested is because of Mr. Moon's efforts."

"Wow," Sooyoung blurted, amused. She didn't expect that the business tycoon would do something like exposing Mrs. Jung's crime. "Do you know why Mr. Moon did it? Is he related to Jessica?"

"No." 

"Then why would he? Doing it to Mrs. Jung is like declaring a war with her." 

"He did it because of his loyalty to the Royal Family. As you already know, Mr. Moon came from a family who worked in the palace for generations. He has so much respect for them, especially to King Jinheung and his daughter. Even after the king chose to live a normal life, his loyalty for them remained. He kept tabs on them that is why he knows who is a descendant of theirs and who isn't. So when he learned about the death of Miss Song, Mr. Moon vowed to find her killer. He hired a prosecutor to investigate on it. And along the process, that man was able to uncover who Jessica really is."

"Since the witch is now arrested," Tiffany began to ask "...does it mean it's over now? Will Jessica be able to live a peaceful life again?"

"No. I don't think so." Daniel's voice was deep and certain. "I'm afraid this is only the beginning of another storm. Kim Hae Soo is not the type of person who will just remain silent and accept her defeat. I'm sure later on she'll devise a plan to bring other people down with her. And that may include exposing what her husband did."

"Which means Jessica will be exposed as his daughter," Tiffany anxiously supplied.

"That's right. Some might be able to accept her for who she really is. But there might be a lot who will criticize and humiliate her. Miss Song died with a good reputation. The people respected her, not only because she's a great actress, but also because they know her as the daughter of the last crown princess. But if it will be exposed that she loved a married man and had a child with him, their respect might become overshadowed with hate and Jessica can suffer from it."

"I won't let them hurt her," Sooyoung said determined.

"Neither will I," Tiffany added. "It's not Jessica's fault why she's born. She shouldn't be criticized for a mistake her parents committed. Daniel, we will not give up in protecting her, okay? We'll help you. I'll help you no matter what happens."

Daniel nodded and smiled gratefully at his friends. "Thank you, both of you. Your support means a lot to Jessica."

Later that night, when Daniel and Sooyoung have fallen asleep, Tiffany walked into Jessica's room to see how the latter is doing. She found her sitting on the floor. Her eyes were still moist with tears while she's staring blankly at her mother's portrait. Scattered on the floor were crumpled letters she wrote when she was still a child, letters which she never had the courage to give to her stepmother. All of it were stating one thing - she's asking forgiveness for being her mother's daughter.

"I tried to believe her Tiff," Jessica said when Tiffany sat beside her. Somehow it made Tiffany felt glad that she is the one who initiated a conversation. It's a sign that she knows better how to deal with her problems now. "I tried to believe that there's goodness left in her. That one day she'll learn to accept me and stop treating me wrongfully. But that faith was shattered tonight Tiff because I was told that she killed my mother. She ordered the death of the one who gave me life."

With that said, Jessica was unable to control her sobs anymore. She cried hard in Tiffany's arms. She clung to her tightly like she's holding on for her dear life. It breaks Tiffany's heart to see her in such state. She doesn't want this. She doesn't want to see her hurting again. Ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter