Chapter 11

I Could Not Ask For More
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This was all I managed to squeeze out of my mind. Lol.

Daniel's loyalty to Jessica is not only because it is his duty as her personal butler to protect her at all costs. It is not also just because they'd been friends since they were kids, nor is it because he has fallen in love with her. There is a much deeper reason to his dedication to the youngest Jung. And such reason can be traced back to the 1960's, when Chairman Mao Zedong started the Cultural Revolution.

Most of the adult members of the Yang clan during the communist regime are teachers and war veterans, who were all regarded as enemies of the state. To punish them for the crime they never committed, they were stripped off their wealth, humiliated, imprisonned, tortured and the others were left to die of hunger and illness resulting from physical abuse. Three of them survived and escaped to Hong Kong by crossing the Shenzhen border. They are Yang Huojin (a soldier and a martial arts expert), his sister Xiao Feng who is a Foreign Language teacher, and their cousin Wu who teaches martial arts. They brought along with them the eleven year-old Chanming (Huojin's youngest son) since his mother and brothers are already dead. 

In Hong Kong, Yang Huojin sought the assistance of his half-Chinese, half-Korean cousin named Kang Liang. He was working as a lawyer of a South Korean businessman living in America. Kang Liang consulted his boss about the situation of his cousin. With his order, he brought Mr. Yang and his family to New York. He introduced all of them to his boss, Song Min Jung. The chaebol heir is a compassionate person just like his wife. He felt deep pity for what the Yang family went through. He welcomed them to his house, provided their basic needs, medical assistance and even gave them a job. Mr. Yang and his cousin became the Song family's bodyguards while Miss Xiao Feng became the private tutor of Yoona - the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Song. They also shouldered the educational needs of Chanming until he finished his highschool.

Five years after the revolution has ended, Mr. Song and his wife allowed the Yang family to return to their homeland. They helped them re-acquire most of the properties they lost and they also helped them establish the martial arts school currently managed by Daniel's parents. 

Mr. Song and his wife did so much for the Yang family. All of it were done out of kindness and they never asked for anything in return. But Yang Huojin wants to repay their kindness. He expressed his gratitude by pledging his family's loyalty to the couple, their daughter and their future descendants. They also aided in the expansion of Song Life Insurance in the mainland China. Whenever the businessman is on a trip, Yang Wu and two of their martial arts students accompany Mr. Song to ensure his safety.

When the Song family moved back to their country, Yang Huojin sent three men to South Korea to work as their bodyguards. However, these three men failed to do their job dutifuly. One Christmas eve, they fell in the hands of the masked man who killed the woman they vowed to protect. The death of Song Yoona became a reason for the oldest Yang to be consumed with sadness. He strongly hated himself and regretted not being able to keep his word of protecting the daughter of the man who did so much for his family. He wanted to end his life but his son came on time to stop him from hurting himself. 

Before he died, Mr. Yang emphasized that Chanming should not let anything happen to Jessica. To keep his promise, he sent his son to South Korea. Daniel is a prodigy in martial arts. He gave this young boy the task of helping his grandfather Liang and his family in serving the granddaughter of Mr. Song.

While Mr. Kang takes charge of the Song Life Insurance, his son manages the hospice care unit. On the other hand, Daniel and his cousins guard the house of the youngest descendant of the Song family. They worked on an eight-hour shift as watchmen until Jessica told Daniel to live with her and her nanny.

"I am going to attract so much attention if the people find out that my four neighbors work everyday as my watchmen, most specially because one of them is a young boy. I don't like having too much attention focused on me. If you really are that eager to protect me, I suggest that you live here and act normally around me. If possible, I want you to treat me as a friend because that's how I want to treat you. Is that okay with you...Daniel?"

The young lad obeyed Jessica's order since living in the same house as her means he'd be able to keep a close eye on her twenty four seven. It was also in favor with his cousins because being dismissed from their duty means they can fully focus on their studies. A year later, the prodigy in martial arts was formally employed by Jessica's father as her personal butler. He's probably the youngest personal butler if ever someone is to record it in a history book.

Now, since Daniel requested for a back up, his cousins Daesung, Dong Ho and Minhyuk resumed their duties of protecting Jessica by acting as her clandestine security agents. They worked hand in hand with the men sent by Mr. Yang to investigate on the two businesspeople whom Daniel suspected are plotting an evil plan against his friend. 

Jessica did not complain of having bodyguards dressed as civilians discreetly doing their job of watching over her and her friends. But Tiffany did complain about it mentally because it inadvertently limited her freedom of expressing her admiration for Jessica through actions.

"This is the nth time I heard you sighing like someone who's tired of living," Sooyoung said to the American girl while Jessica and Daniel are busy ordering their favorites at a fast food chain. "What's the matter? Exam days are over Tiff and it's finally time to relax. You should be celebrating. That is why we're here. To feast on your favorite American foods."

Tiffany slumped further forward and heaved another sigh. "I'm just bothered Soo," quoth her.

"Bothered by what? Your exam results? Tch. You're a genius Tiff. It's something you shouldn't be worried about unless you challenged Jessica on achieving the highest rating."

"No. It's not what I'm worried about."

"If it's not then what is bothering you? I'm not used to seeing you like this you know?"

"I'm bothered by those men seriously doing their job as Jessie's bodyguards. Because of their hawk eyes, I cannot publicly display my affection for her. I want to at least hold her hand but they make it uncomfortable for me to do so."

Sooyoung found Tiffany's excuse to be lame so she thwacked the girl's forehead, much to the American girl's surprise.

"That hurts! What did you do that for?"

"I did it to awaken your senses. Seriously Tiff. I can't believe that's what you're worried of in a situation like this. Someone's plotting something against Sica and here you are worrying about not being able to publicly display how much you like her."

"I'm just saying that I miss doing it or having her do it for me. It doesn't mean that I'm prioritizing it over her safety okay? Gosh Sooyoung! You didn't have to hit me that hard."

A few seconds later, Jessica and Dan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter