My Past and Present

Just neo

 

 

 

 

 

"which room?" 

Taekwoon asked, as walking, the poor nurse was almost joging to keep up walking beside taekwoon,  she increased her pace to be able to walk beside taekwoon so that she could give a summary of the state of the patient they were going to meet.

"room 17, his name is Cha Hakyeon, he's 24 and he's been suffering from lung cancer, he have recently moved in to place near our hospital so he's gonna be one of our patients...and he....mr jung? Are you alright? " 

The girl stopped her explanations as she noticed taekwoon had stopped walking and is now looking at something infront of himself with wide eyes,  she tried to follow his gaze, but  found nothing other than a old woman trying to open the door of her room,  jimin tried to approach him while calling his name but she got no reaction from taekwoon. 

 

Finally when jimin moved her hand infront of taekwoon's dazed face,  the latter seemed to notice jimin's presence near him.

Taekwoon immediately shook his head to get rid of the annoying thoughts, he tried to ignore the strange feeling in his chest as a voice kept playing in his mind saying there was a possibility that this cha hakyeon was the one taekwoon knew from past.

 

But no, it was impossible,  hakyeon, the one who was once taekwoon's friend,  lived in changwoon,  not in seoul, and as much as taekwoon knew he would never leave his hometown.

What if hakyeon suddenly changed his mind decided to live in seoul instead of changwoon?

 

Also the hakyeon, taekwoon knew was a cheerful and bubbly guy who was a completely healthy person, not an ill person who was hospitalized.

But what if hakyeon suddenly fell ill?

Taekwoon shook his head to get rid of the thoughts, he shifted his gaze to jimin who was looking at him with concern.

"let's go"

Taekwoon said before starting to walk, but he stopped when he noticed jimin not moving. 

"aren't you coming?" 

" oh..yes..coming "

Jimin followed taekwoon immediately and soon she was continuing her explanations. 

 

 

___________

 

 

 Taekwoon hestitatanly reached for the door  with shaking hands and opened it, he stepped inside after opening it, while praying silently that this guy was not the one he knew, he didn't want to recall the pain that boy put him through. 

Jimin followed taekwoon inside the room and walked to the bed near window, there was a guy lying down on the bed, his back facing taekwoon. 

"hakyeon shi, wake up,  doctor jung is here to check you"

jimin softly called the boy, the latter responded soon by sitting up.

 

 

Taekwoon felt his heart skipping a bit when he noticed the tanned skin of the sick boy as the latter shifted on the bed.

Taekwoon had a heart attack when he finally saw the boy's face, whose face was as shocked as taekwoon's. 

Taekwoon's prayings were left unanswered. 

The boy sitting infront of him was the one who broke taekwoon's heart to pieces some years ago, he was the one taekwoon didn't want to meet again at all.

 

"taekwoon ah..."

Taekwoon felt like he was crashed with a truck, hearing that fimilar voice calling his name.

It was hard to deal with this situation and ignore his racing heart but taekwoon somehow managed, he took steps to  beside hakyeon's bed. 

"how are you feeling hakyeon shi?"

Hakyeon blinked in confusion at that, few minutes passed before finally hakyeon answered.

Jimin was shocked and confused like them but she did nothing other than standing there silently.

"I-I'm fine... right now..."

Hakyeon wanted to explain his problems and the state he was in, but he couldn't,  he came here to consult with his doctor,  but he never expected the doctor to be taekwoon, his once longlife friend. 

 

Taekwoon didn't force hakyeon to talk more,  he simply went on by checking him and asking a few questions once between his examines,  like which medications he used before or when he last had a asthma attack. 

 

Their first meeting after five years went on like that, both prenenting like they're no one other than a doctor and patient to each other.

 

Taekwoon wasn't able to work properly for the rest of day.

He kept thinking about hakyeon,  the latter was sick and everyone could tell it from his face, he was pale,  his naturally tan skin had lost its color and his lips weren't cherry like red anymore, they were chapped and his eyes were smaller as his cheekbones were visible from the unhealthy loss of weight.

 

But it didn't change the fact that hakyeon was pretty.

He was as pretty as before, like an angel fallen from heaven, the only flaw he had was his sad expression,  taekwoon wondered how would it feel to see hakyeons bright smiling face again. 

 

 

 

_____________ 

 

 

 

 

Next time taekwoon saw hakyeon was at night at the same day, his shift was going to finish in ten minutes,  but he was called to check on the patient in room number 17, before leaving.

 

Taekwoon hastily headed to hakyeon's room as he received the news of hakyeon's state getting worse.

 

 

Taekwoon saw hakyeon looking at him with his half open eyes when he stepped in, nurses were already managing to put a nebulizer on hakyeon's face.

 

He rushed to hakyeon's side and started his job, he told one of the nurses to grab the needed medication, he injected it to hakyeon's arm and later when they were done the machines showed hakyeon was going back to his normal state.

 

It wasn't a severe case and it took a little time for taekwoon to treat hakyeon to his normal state.

 

Nurses left the room to continue their work, but taekwoon stayed in the room since his shift was already finished. 

 

Taekwoon was sitting beside hakyeon's bed, looking at his face.

Hakyeon had his eyes closed,  but taekwoon knew he wasn't sleeping,  he was porposely closing his eyes.

Maybe he wanted to block taekwoon's view or ignore his presence.

Taekwoon was too worried to leave his side, he wanted to make sure hakyeon was alright. 

 

Hakyeon slowly and carefully opened his eyes, and his gaze was focused on taekwoon,  he brought his hand up put the nebulizer away, without breaking the eyecontact.

"can you take me out of here, woonie?"

Taekwoon heard hakyeon's soft voice talking to him, oh how much taekwoon missed his voice, taekwoon wondered how he was able to live without hearing his sweet voice these past years.

 

Hakyeon's voice was sad and taekwoon could feel the pain in his voice, he could understand how desperately he wanted to leave the hospital. 

But taekwoon also knew it wasn't possible for hakyeon to leave, he still wasn't in a state to be able to leave the hospital without risks of getting worse.

Taekwoon gently brought his hand toward hakyeon's hand and carefully grabbed it between his both hands while looking at hakyeon's  face.

"it's alright, I promise I'll take out, We will leave here and do whatever you want."

Taekwoon portrayed a smile, as he was caressing the back of hakyeon's hand.

He knew it wasn't alright to be like this to hakyeon, he knew he shouldn't forgive him this easily, hakyeon had caused him so much pain and sorrow, but at the moment he couldn't think about past pains, he couldn't think about himself and leave hakyeon, he couldn't be selfish, just like five years ago he couldn't. 

 

Hakyeon brought his hand out of taekwoon's hold. 

"promise me please?"

And they pinky promised.

Taekwoon could feel hakyeon's face brightening a bit and it was enough to make his heart bloom in happiness. 

 

Taekwoon stayed the night with hakyeon, sleeping in the bed next to hakyeon's. 

 

 

_______________

 

 

"I want to dance woonie"

Taekwoon frowned but his frown immediately disappeared as he saw hakyeon pouting. 

Who was he to get mad at hakyeon? 

" but you know you can't... You need to rest and after you get better you'll dance as much as you want"

Taekwoon kindly tried to persuade hakyeon. 

"but I miss dancing, it's been a year since I last danced."

Taekwoon sighed, he had no answer to give, he knew how much hakyeon liked dancing. 

Suddenly taekwoon's mind brightened with a great idea, he stood up and grabbed his phone, trying to play a song.

When he was done he turned to hakyeon and sneaked his hand, asking hakyeon to join him.

Hakyeon hestitatanly brought his hand up to taekwoon's larger one, the latter helped him to get out of bed to stand up, but instead of putting hakyeon's feet on floor he placed them on his own feet.

Hakyeon put his hands on taekwoon's chest as support while taekwoon grabbed hakyeon's small waist.

Taekwoon started moving his feet along the music with a low pace, careful of not making hakyeon move much. 

They continueed with their slow pace and after five minutes hakyeon put his head on taekwoon's chest.

"thank you woonie, you're the best"

Hakyeon murmured. 

Taekwoon smiled widely, hakyeon was so sweet, just like five years ago, so sweet that makes taekwoon addicted.

 

Taekwoon wasn't able to leave the hospital after his shift finishing, he preferred spending his time here near hakyeon than staying at his apartment alone.

Just like today, he would go to hakyeon's room and stay with him.

 

None of them talked about past, it was like they both wanted to erase it from their mind.

Their togheter time right now was too good to be ruined by reminding the events in past. 

Hakyeon broke taekwoon's heart, he broke their lifelong friendship by refusing taekwoon's confession, but taekwoon couldn't bring himself to reject hakyeon now.

 

 

They went on with dancing for about half an hour and then taekwoon tugged hakyeon to bed afraid of making him exhausted, even tough it was him who did all the afford. 

 

 

 

________________

 

 

 

Hakyeon shifted a bit to make himself comfortable in taekwoon's embrace, they were both lying on hakyeon's bed, cuddling and silently enjoying eachother's presence. 

 

Their relationship has improved in a high pace in one week of hakyeon's stay in hospital. 

You can say that had before  back to the lifelong friendship they used to have.

 

"when will we go out woonie? I'm sick of staying inside"

Hakyeon said before sighing heavily. 

"you know I just want you to be healthy"

Taekwoon answered as he was caressing hakyeon's soft strands of hair.

"but it's just for a few hours, besides you'll be near me, nothing's gonna happen" 

Hakyeon raised his head and looked at taekwoon, trying to melt his heart by his puppy eyes.

"ok, but promise you won't make your self too exhausted." 

"I promise,  thanks woonie."

 

Hakyeon smiled before putting his head back on taekwoon's chest.

 

 

 

________________

 

 

"where would you like to go?"

Taekwoon asked while adjusting their intertwined hands in his jacket's pocket.

" no where special, I just want to walk beside you."

Taekwoon smiled and they headed to nowhere.

They were freely walking along the streets, chatting and laughing at stupid things.

 

 

"let's go inside the park and sit woonie"

Hakyeon said after an hour of aimlessly exploring the streets they reached a park and stopped.

"but it's cold, all benches are covered in snow."

"I don't care,  we can clean one and sit on it."

"okay"

Again, taekwoon accepted, he was too weak to reject hakyeon. 

 

They stepped inside hand in hand and taekwoon managed to clean a bench so that they could sit on it.

 

After throwing all the snow away they sat on it, cuddling and trying to share eachother's body heat, taekwoon hugged hakyeon's shoulder firmly while hakyeon attached to taekwoon's waist like a baby.

"aren't you cold? Wanna go back to the hospital?" 

"no I'm fine, you make me warm"

Hakyeon answered. 

"woonie, will you be able to save me?"

Taekwoon felt like a bucket of ice water was thrown at him.

"you'll be fine hakyeon, I promise you'll get better, I'll make you better."

He tried to hide the panick in his voice but he failed.

Hakyeon shifted his head and strangely he was smiling.

"my heart, it's as cold as frozen river...will you be able to save my heart? Will you make it warm enough for the ices in my heart to melt?"

"I-I..." 

Hakyeon approached till their lips were stuck togheter in a warm attach.

"like this"

Hakyeon said after breaking the contact.

"I will...I will make us one, my heart will make you warm...you will feel it, just let me do it"

Hakyeon smiled and then put his arms around taekwoon's shoulders, hugging him.

 

It was warm, it was  warm like a hot summer day, not like a cold winter day, it was.

 

 

 

________________

 

 

 

Taekwoon and hakyeon were both sitting cross legged on hakyeon's bed, a stray of food was between them, they were eating togheter, but today it was a bit different, hakyeon was coughing more these day and it getting worse every day.

 

Hakyeon was trying to put a spoonful in his mouth, but the spoon fell from his hand and then he started coughing.

 

Taekwoon immediately grabbed the inhaler from beside the bed and helped hakyeon to use it.

 

It took a few minutes for hakyeon to get back at his normal breathing.

 

Hakyeon's state was making taekwoon worried.

 

 

_______________

 

 

As taekwoon entered the room, he was greated by hakyeon's throwing up voice.

He rushed to bathroom but it was locked, before he could knock on the door, it was opened and hakyeon's small frame was revealed. 

Taekwoon immediately approached hakyeon and throw his arms around his little body.

"are you alright?" 

"aww is my wonnie worried?" 

Taekwoon broke the hugged, but still kept his arms around hakyeon's waist.

"I'm fine, no need to worry woonie"

"you scared me"

Taekwoon said in a low voice, he was trying hard to keep the tears from falling.

"hey, I'm alright woonie, look I'm totally fine."

Hakyeon tried to assure him while cupping taekwoon's face and caressing his high cheekbones. 

Again taekwoon threw himself in hakyeon's warm arms and hakyeon gladly hugged back.

 

 

 

_________________

 

 

 

Taekwoon entered the room and walked to sit at chair in front of his friends desk.

"hey, leo how are doing? Are you here to hear from your boyfriends state?"

Myungsoo asked politely. He was taekwoon's friend and also they worked in the same hopital.

"I want to know how his  chemotherapy is going."

"emm...well....you know.... you are a doctor and lying to you will make no good... You know there always is a low chance of it working...and Im afraid it will make no use"

"O-okay" 

Taekwoon blinked to keep the tears from falling, he needed to reach the bathroom to let his tears fall freely, he knew it wouldn't cease his pain at all, but he could do nothing other than crying.

 

 

_________________

 

 

"woon, one day in the future lets go drink togheter"

"we will my love"

Taekwoon said and brushed the strands of hairs out of hakyeon's face, his bangs were getting longer and he needed a cut.

"your hairs are gettig in your eyes" 

Taekwoon said looking at hakyeon's hairs and brushing them. 

"you can cut them for me"   hakyeon said. 

Taekwoon smiled and stood up to go get the scissors.

 

 

___________________

 

 

Hakyeon weakly raised his hand to put the nebulizer away of his mouth.

"woon, can you promise me something?" 

"what is it my love?"

Taekwoon said grabbing hakyeon's hand again.

"that you will  stay happy even though I'm not beside you."

Taekwoon tried really hard to keep the tears but it was too hard and he failed, tears rolled down his face one by one.

"you will always stay with me yeonie, don't doubt that."

"just promise me, so that I can feel calm." 

"I-I promise"

Taekwoon sobbed,  hakyeon really wanted to pull taekwoon in his arms to comfort him but his body refused to listen to him.

 

Taekwoon realised hakyeon's intention and bent down to hug him

 

They cried togheter in each other's arms.

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________

 

 

 

 

 

"ajumma, can you give me some sujo?"

"oh you're here again son" 

The old women muttered while looking for the bottles.

"here,  you should stop drinking young guy"

She nagged and taekwoon just answred whit a smile, he grabbed the bottles and left after paying.

 

 

 

_______________

 

 

 

 

Taekwoon walked to the place he was looking for with two bottles of sujo in his hand.

He sat down and opened the bottle.

"hey,  how are doing my love? Did you miss me?" 

He got no answers.

"I missed you too"

Again no response from his love.

"here, I brought a bottle for you too so we can drink togheter" 

He put the bottle on the grave and started drinking. 

 

He was smiling but he didn't know why tears kept falling,  he wasn't crying, his hakyeon wanted him to be happy even though he wasn't near him.

 

 

________________

 

 

 

One day I'm gonna fly away

One day when heaven calls my name

I lay down I close my eyes at night, I can see moon in light

One day I'm gonna fly away

One day I'll see your eyes again

I lay down I close my eyes at night, I can see moon in light.