Chapter 8

Sycrestia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m sorry?” I unintelligibly replied to the guy who keeps looking at me as if I’m his long lost best friend.

“I really was going to give up after this month if I still haven’t got you,” Taehyung said, as if he’s trying to make me feel guilty. “I figured I’d go to the penitentiary and just declare that I’m a goner, or that you’re probably dead so I’m useless. Since it took you so long, and you’re really pretty, which makes me a lot happier, I’m just going to let it go by not falling down on my knees and giving you a proper greeting, okay?”

“What?” I said, now completely dumbfounded. “I really don’t understand what you’re saying. You must have mistaken me for someone else.”

“No, that can’t happen,” Taehyung said, shaking his head rather excessively. “You’re the only Sycrestian who can ever--“

 

But Sehun, seeing that I’m too flustered to deal with this stranger, did the speaking for me, by pointing the end of his sword on Taehyung’s nape.

 

“Who are you?” Sehun asked, his eyes glinting in accusation. “And who the hell sent you?”

 

Taehyung, who felt something cold sticking at the back of his neck, didn’t even bother to turn around to know who it is that is threatening him. Instead, he sighed, and raised both of his hands in surrender. Then, he tilted his head a little bit to his right and raised an eyebrow at me. “Really? You’re really gonna do this to me after I saved your life?”

 

Then, in a more serious voice, he spoke again, but this time, it was obvious that he’s addressing Sehun. “If you still haven’t noticed, I only have my fighting sticks with me because I was in the middle of teaching lessons to my younger brother. I felt the summon, and I couldn’t even say goodbye to my family. So, you really shouldn’t ask who summoned me, because she did.”

“I don’t even know you,” I said in my defense.

“Of course you don’t, because you never asked for my help before,” Taehyung said as if I couldn’t have done him more wrong. “I’m your gailar.”

“What’s a gailar?” I immediately threw back.

“You’re kidding, right?”

“No, I’m not.”

 

At that point, Taehyung bravely turned around and faced Sehun. “Was she born in a cave?”

“Close,” Sehun said, finally bringing his sword down. I gave him a death glare.

“Can we please go somewhere far from here, before we continue?” I finally said, sighing. “I don’t really fancy them waking up and suddenly attacking us again.”

“Well, I can just beat them up again, if you wish,” Taehyung innocently offered, then continued, “What are you two doing here anyway? And where are we, exactly?”

 

At the look on my face, Taehyung shrugged his shoulders and said, “Yeah, I think your idea is perfect! Let’s move.”

 

Without waiting for Sehun to make the decision, I turned my back on them, and just walked far away from the place without a proper direction in mind. I knew they were following me, but I didn’t stop, nor bother to look at them, until twenty minutes after, when we’re in a completely different part of the forest.

 

“Okay,” I said, after realizing that I couldn’t delay this any longer. I looked at the two of them alternatively, as if I caught them stealing cookies from a glass jar, then dropped once more, the question, “What’s a gailar?”

 

Taehyung let out a breath in disbelief and gazed at me as if I’m demented. So, Sehun answered for him, “A loyal man. Some Sycrestians get assigned one the moment they are born. Your gailar is bound to serve you for the rest of your life.”

“For the rest of my life?” I said, now scrunching my eyebrows. “That sounds a hell like slavery.”

“It is slavery,” Taehyung answered for me. “I’m of an average lineage, and you’re from a reputable family. The only difference is, I actually like being a gailar. All of us in gailar families think it’s an honor to be one, so please stop insulting us.”

“I didn’t mean to!” I said, horrified that he thinks I’m already judging him. Even so, how could that be not slavery even if he likes it? Sycrestia surely works in a very deterministic and feudal scheme. “So, you’re like a butler?”

“What’s that?”

“Nevermind,” I quickly dismissed. “So, if you’re saying that you’re my loyal man, how can I be so sure of that?”

“Huh?”

“I mean, you can be another’s,” I said, trying to be rational. “How did you find me?”

“You called me,” Taehyung said, as if he isn’t really sure what I’m asking. “You asked for my help.”

“I didn’t,” I said. “I was thinking I need help, but I didn’t specifically ask for you.”

“That doesn’t matter,” he said. “All I need is for you to think it, and I get teleported here.”

“You can teleport?” I asked in amazement.

“Of course, all gailars can, at the call of their owners,” Taehyung said, raising an eyebrow at me. “Seriously, it’s basic knowledge. Are you living in this forest?”

“She’s never been to Sycrestia,” Sehun replied for me. I almost forgot he was there until he spoke. When I looked at him, I saw him already bandaging his wounded arm. “We both came from the other side.”

“Well, that explains why I never got summoned,” Taehyung said.

“So, you believe him?” I asked, turning to Sehun. “Should I trust him?”

“Gailars do exist,” Sehun said with finality. “Whether you trust him or not is not my problem. He’s yours. In any case, it’s your decision to dispose of him or not.”

“Really?” Taehyung asked, sassily. “And here I was thinking you guys are a thing, and the first piece of advice you give her when I just met her is the idea that she can dispose of me? Nah, I think I’ll hang around until she’s a hundred years old.”

“Look, this is all so confusing, and I really don’t think I have grasp any of the information yet, so can we just, pause this conversation for a while, and plan how we’re going to proceed with this?” I said in frustration, while massaging my temples.

“Sure, no problem,” Taehyung said airily. “I’ll come with you, no matter where you go.”

“You don’t know what you’re saying,” Sehun replied.

“Oh yeah, I think I do, as long as she’s with you,” Taehyung said. “So where are you headed?”

“The Capital,” I said.

“No ,” Taehyung immediately replied.

“I told you,” Sehun spoke.

“That will be the coolest thing ever!” Taehyung suddenly exclaimed in glee, surprising the both of us. “I’ve never really acted like a rebel before, so I’m up for penetrating borders! Let’s go kick some Rumilans’ asses! You’re not on their side, are you? Because of you are, I don’t care, I’m still going with you!”

 

Sehun had that look in his eyes as if he seriously wanted to knock Taehyung out there in the cold. When he caught my glance, I looked at him apologetically and he mouthed to me, “Deal with him.” Then, he started leading the way again out of the forest, while I walked side by side with Taehyung.

 

“So,” Taehyung started, scanning my face. “Let me start this again. Where exactly are we?”

“Forest of Hain,” I answered shortly.

“Oh,” he said, now looking around. “It’s a little far from home.”

 

I took a quick sideway glance at him, and noticed how he’s maintaining a calm, kind expression on his face. I don’t know what made me think so, because I barely knew him, but I think he’s a little sad inside.

 

“I’m sorry,” I uttered out of a sudden. He turned his gaze back to me. “About your younger brother, and family. I didn’t mean to take you away from them without so much as a warning.”

“What are you saying?” he said, sporting a playful smile. “They’ll probably be glad I’m gone. It’s been, what, 7 or 8 years? Since I should have been summoned.”

“Right, I’m just saying,” I replied. “And sorry about that, too. I still have a lot to learn about Sycrestia.”

“Haven’t he been lecturing you?” he asked, and I knew he was referring to Sehun.

“Not really,” I responded. “He’s not much of a talker, you see.”

“But you still like him?”

“What?”

“C’mon, it’s obvious,” Taehyung let out a short laugh. “Why would you stick with him if not?”

“Because he’s the one who brought me here, and I don’t know where else to go?”

“Even if that’s the case, I have many eyes, especially when I’m fighting,” Taehyung said, rather proud of himself. “It’s the way you looked at him, I just know.”

“And how exactly do I loo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter