Chapter 4

Sycrestia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun bolted out of the house right after dropping the news about Jae Hwa, but even when an hour or two passed, I couldn’t make myself follow him, or escape the comforts of his room. In my mind, I knew he could be making things up. He doesn’t even know Jae Hwa. He doesn’t know anything about me. How could he say such cruel things? I have no reason to trust him. Sehun, who even has a sword kept hidden in his room, is exactly the kind of person Jae Hwa would want me to stir away from.

 

I walked slowly to one corner of his room where papers are scattered on the floor. With a brief glance, I noticed that they were articles and pictures of mountains, suns and atmospheric phenomena that were too advanced for my understanding. In any case, I couldn’t give them any real attention. I couldn’t get out that horrible feeling in my chest, as if a heavy weight is gripping my heart. I shouldn’t believe him, but why does it feel like Sehun’s telling me the truth?

 

“Eun Ju-ssi,” a voice called me and I immediately looked at the open door. It was Chanyeol, holding a tray of what was unmistakably a bunch of butter cookies neatly aligned.

“Hi,” I said awkwardly, as he entered the room and placed the tray down Sehun’s bed. I walked closer to him and added, “You didn’t have to bother.”

“I hope you know how to eat these,” he said.

I looked at him in confusion. He surely has a weird choice of words, as well as overall demeanor. “And you don’t?”

Chanyeol didn’t answer me. Instead he looked at me in the eye and said, “I’m sorry for your loss.”

As much as I want to rebut him on that matter, I couldn’t do it. He spoke so sincerely, as if he really meant it. So, I just ended up asking, “How do you know that?”

“I hear everything, especially that you’re in this house,” he answered simply. “I keep track of everything Oh Sehun does. He’s already at your place.”

“How?” I started. I knew I was being recklessly curious. “What are you?”

Chanyeol faced me, and a sort of amusement was playing at his lips. “You’re finally asking the right questions,” he said, but seconds ticked, and I knew he isn’t going to give me the answer I needed. “You could roam around the house if you wish. I’ll let you rest for now.”

 

And then he walked out of the room and disappeared from my sight.

 

………………………………………………………..

 

“No trace, at all. Not even a body.”

 

I woke up with a start. The dark was almost surprising and hard to adjust to, especially since I didn’t know when I’ve fallen asleep. I was alone, on the bed, in a completely different room. It was a lot barer than Sehun’s. There was only a bedside table and a little lamp on top, but I didn’t think of switching it on, as the whispers continued.

 

Slowly, and rather discreetly, I tiptoed my way to the door and slightly opened it to see what was happening. There was a dim yellowish light coming from the room opposite Sehun’s, and its door was also slightly ajar. I couldn’t see who was in there but from the voices, I could tell it was Sehun and Chanyeol talking. I strained my left ear to hear better.

“But the court lady is definitely gone,” it was Chanyeol who spoke this time. “She’s wiped out from the list.”

“They probably dealt with it,” Sehun said. “Didn’t want the humans to stick their heads on their doings.”

“You know what this means, Sehun,” Chanyeol said, and this time, it was on a more serious note.

“Of course,” Sehun responded. “This hasn’t been the first close call.”

“And the girl?”

“We’ll let her decide tomorrow.”

“You don’t know who she is,” Chanyeol said more sternly. “And I can’t help you either.”

“I don’t need any this time,” Sehun replied at an even firmer tone. “She could be the answer I’m looking for.”

“Sehun, she could be a simple mortal who happened to know the court lady.”

“I told you, she had the mark of an untouchable,” Sehun sounded as if he’s gritting his teeth to control himself. “Why would that guardian bind herself to a girl who might not be one of us?”

I don’t know,” Chanyeol admitted. “Look, I know you’ve been looking for a solution for 2 years, but you can’t bet anything on a girl who doesn’t even know herself.”

“So, we’ll let her decide.”

“You could kill yourself and her.”

“We’re not safe here either way,” Sehun answered. “And looking at the way they handled Jae Hwa, I’d say she’s in even more danger than I am.”

 

There was a moment of silence wherein I thought they already stopped, but then Chanyeol spoke quietly, “It’s been a long time. So many things could have changed.”

“I’m not afraid,” Sehun said. “You know why I have to.”

 

I didn’t know what came over me, but after hearing that, I closed the door and went back to the bed. I couldn’t listen anymore. Aside from the fact that I barely understood anything, it’s just the way Sehun sounded saying those words. I didn’t need to see him, I could tell there was sadness and an equal desperation hidden behind his cold exterior.

 

Lying on my side, I raised my right arm in front of my face, and looked at the part of the skin where my mark used to be.

 

“Jae Hwa,” I whispered to myself. I suddenly felt the emotional burden of losing her, even if nothing’s for sure yet. That’s when it finally came to me what’s wrong. I’ve been tough

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter