Chapter 5

Sycrestia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If anything, my pronouncement to go with Sehun in that place they call Sycrestia has only made him more elusive. He barely stays around for breakfast and disappears the whole day in the basement. I tried to talk to him once or twice, but he developed a habit of passing me just like I was air. I really want to know what he is doing, but I’m also hesitant to continue asking for he might change his mind of getting me to come along with him.

 

Really, I finally sighed, most of the times, he is exhaustingly frustrating, and I’m the idiot who still finds that tolerable, and quite appealing.

 

“You have to be careful with that,” Chanyeol reminded me, probably noticing that I was out of focus. “It isn’t easy to find the perfect bark to start a fire, so you have to make it light up as soon as you got one.”

“Yeah, I know,” I replied, still in my crouched down position as I continued to rub the bark to the notch in the hopes of creating a fire. “Sorry, I was thinking of something else.”

 

In the week that passed, Chanyeol has taken over my general welfare. He knew Sehun has not given me any sort of a plan when we travel to Sycrestia, a place that is completely unfamiliar to me, so Chanyeol decided to teach me some basic tips on survival. I already knew how to create a fire manually, because of Jae Hwa, but because I haven’t really done it in years, Chanyeol has asked me to demonstrate. Clearly, I am out of skills at the present. It didn’t help that Chanyeol’s focus on me is becoming a tad bit distracting, especially with that unnatural light-colored eyes of his.

 

“There!” I exclaimed, when smoke finally started. With a little help from some leaves, a small fire began minutes after.

“Good,” Chanyeol commended.

 

In silence, both of us let the small fire die a natural death. Chanyeol doesn’t seem to be in a hurry in teaching, so I took the chance to ask, “What’s Sycrestia like?”

He didn’t seem to be surprised by the question. “It’s just like this world, but in an older setting. There are good parts, and bad ones. No trace of any modernity, just pure and natural in its magnificence. You’ll understand what I mean.”

“And the people?” I continued, my curiosity being fed by his answer. “Just like humans, as well?”

Chanyeol gave me a kind smile. “Some.” When I gave him a perplexed face, he continued, “But yes, for the most parts, the residents are civilized, and looks like humans. Just like you, me, and Sehun.”

“But there’s a catch to that?”

“Of course. Humans are incapable of a lot of things. Sycrestians, on the other hand—"

“Have powers?” I guessed.

“Something like that,” Chanyeol said.

“Why though?” I asked. “Why are you-- why are we different? It’s just, it’s kinda hard to believe, that there would be others who have existed alongside human beings without being discovered.”

“Our kind aren’t completely unknown to the humans,” Chanyeol explained. “There have been close interactions in the olden times, mostly disastrous ones, which led the mortals to do mass killings and witch burnings. Unbeknownst to them, they have only been killing their own kindred. This is the reason why gates are now being heavily guarded more than ever, so that no Sycrestian or human, accidently tread on each other’s path. As for your question, the reason we are different is because we have been blessed by celestial elements. Our souls and capabilities differ based on what element, or even planet, favored one’s birth. Mostly, it goes genetically, so that some families were able to form lineages over thousands of years. The select some, furthermore, have made it possible to control parts of Sycrestia, which caused regional divides. This is a very feudalistic set-up, you see, which is why Sycrestia, has long been unstable. If I am to use human terms, you may say that there is a civil war right now.”

“This is a lot to take in,” I admitted, and smiled apologetically. “But I have a few more questions, if it’s alright.”

“Of course, Eun Ju-ssi,” Chanyeol said, looking at me in an understanding manner. “You can ask me whatever you like.”

“You said the gates are guarded because of the previous incidents, but why are some Sycrestians still allowed to live in this world?”

“The powerful ones are those officially allowed to travel here if they wish,” Chanyeol explained. “But most of those who come out only escape from Sycrestia. It depends on the gatekeeper, if he wishes to allow them to pass through or not.”

“I see…so Jae Hwa and me…”

“Jae Hwa is recorded, by authority of her previous masters,” Chanyeol said. “But you…”

“I suppose I am a missing case,” I said. Chanyeol nodded.

“It isn’t hard for me to find those who escaped, as long as they are under my jurisdiction, however, I have not seen you in all these years, and have no idea how you came to be in this place.”

“Okay,” I said, not sure what to feel about the information. At least now, I understand a little bit why Sehun asked Chanyeol how come the latter doesn’t know me, the first time we met in this house.

“Just one last question,” I continued. “Sehun said, we couldn’t get through any of the gates, except for those unguarded ones. Why is that? I mean, you’re his friend, I guess. Why can’t you just let us enter?”

 

The look on Chanyeol’s face turned a little bit more serious, and I wondered if I said something wrong. Was he perhaps thinking that I’m judging him unnecessarily? But then, Chanyeol moved his mouth, and I knew he’s still going to reply.

 

“I can give you an answer to that, but I’m not sure if Sehun would like that,” Chanyeol said.

I was disappointed, but I didn’t want to be too nosy, so I just said, “Right.” Of course, Sehun is allowed to have secrets. ‘Well, thank you, anyway. At least I have an idea of what Sycrestia is like.”

“Anytime,” Chanyeol said. “But let me tell you something else.”

“Hmm?”

“I’ve known Sehun for years. We studied together, before I sought the path of becoming a gatekeeper. He could be difficult, and emotionless, but he’s a good person,” Chanyeol said. “Most of the times, he acts on what he thinks is right, and for good reasons, too, but you have to be patient with him.”

“I’m not sure what you’re actually trying to say—"

“I think you know exactly why I’m telling you,” Chanyeol said, and his eyes lightened up a bit more for a flash of a second, and I knew he read through me, and my feelings. Was it that obvious? Could Sehun be thinking of the same thing? “In any case, Shin Eun Ju-ssi, I just want to tell you that I do not question, neither am I planning to intervene on your way to Sycrestia, but if there comes a time, when everything becomes difficult, I want you to know, that you could run away, and protect yourself.”

“W-what?” I asked in disbelief, and astonishment. I couldn’t understand why he would tell me this. Isn’t this like backstabbing Sehun? His own childhood friend??

“It is an option, and there is no one else to trust in Sycrestia but yourself.”

“I—“ I started, at a complete lost for words. “I…I’m not gonna leave Sehun anywhere. No matter how harsh he could be. How could I? He’d be the only person I know in that place.”

 

Chanyeol seemed to consider my words for a while. I didn’t try to mess with his thoughts. I know he was saying it for my benefit, but I really couldn’t understand him. Not at all.

 

“I see,” Chanyeol suddenly mulled. “I guess, now I can be rest assured.”

“Err…”

“Dinner’s up,” Chanyeol said, not minding my confusion. “Sehun will be here in a minute. Let’s go.”

 

And truthfully, in a minute, Sehun emerged from the basement, still wearing his school uniform, and sat down with us around the table, for the first time in a long week.

 

……………………………………

 

There are a number of wild and unpleasant things that happened to me in less than a month, and I try so hard not to think about them, especially the death of my guardian, but I figured this house will never give me the peace I needed. Especially so, when Oh Sehun just happens to be sitting on your bed the moment you wake up in the early morning.

 

“Jesus!” I yelled in surprise, and immediately scrambled off to my bed’s headboard and covered my face up before my eyes. “What are you doing here?” I quickly looked at the door and noticed, rather unpleasantly, that it is closed. 

 

Sehun turned to look at me, and scanned my current position. He looked like he’d already done his daily routine, while I sat there with my hair like a bird’s nest.

 

“Finally,” he said, then he scooted closer. “I’ve been waiting for over an hour.”

 

I controlled the horror on my face when he said that. How unfeminine did I thrash on my bed for the covers to be all messed up like this?

 

“Well, you could have waken me up instead of acting like a creep in someone else’s room,” I told him. Sehun didn’t answer and just shrugged his shoulders. “So?” I asked. “What do you need?”

“It’s this afternoon,” Sehun said, surveying what he can see of my face. “We have to go.”

“Wait, what?” I asked, flustered at the bomb he just dropped. “Isn’t it too soon?”

“I’ve prepared everything we need to bring, and I’ve checked the place many times to check the topography, height, sun position, and angle, I’ve also told Chanyeol, the only thing left is you,” Sehun said in haste. “It has to be today.”

“But—“ I said, rummaging my mind for anything to say. Sun position? Angle? What the hell is he even saying? “I mean, I didn’t prepare. I don’t know what I should bring, I don’t know what I’m supposed to do—“

“You don’t have to bring anything,” Sehun quickly rebutted. “Just yourself. I already made the preparations.”

“Chanyeol?”

“He’s waiting downstairs,” Sehun said. “So? Are you planning to change your mind?”

“No, but—" I replied hesitantly.

“Good,” he said, now standing up. “Just take a bath, and go downstairs.” When I didn’t move and just stared at him in daze, Sehun sighed then went closer. I started to blush even before he whispered to my ear, “Or I’ll remove that blanket, and get you myself to the bathroom.”

Wide-eyed, I faced him and said, “I hate you,” before I knew what I was doing.

At this, Sehun smirked at me for the first time ever and said, “I happen to know that’s not true.”

What a manipulative gorgeous jerk.

 

“I’ll wait for you by the kitchen,” he said, then went out of the room.

 

………………………………………..

 

I wanted to stay in the bathroom for as long as I can, but my nerves wouldn’t let me so. I couldn’t shake off the idea that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter