Trouble XIII

In trouble with you

A.N: This chapter wasn't beta-read.

 

Nae Soo Mi

 

Soo Mi came out from the bathroom after washing her face, still yawning. She had the best of naps in Kibum’s bed and even skipped dinner. The boys were in the living room and she stopped by the couch watching them. As usual, Minho was watching a soccer game and Kibum was on the other side of the couch on his laptop. Soo Mi smiled because they left the middle space empty for her, a habit they eventually acquired and that made her feel like part of that weird family they were.

“What are you doing?” She asked leaning over the back of the couch to peek at Kibum’s laptop. A real estate page was open with several pictures of places to rent.

“I followed your advice and I might get the investment I want to open my bakery. But first I need a place to rent. I found this good real estate company and they are extremely helpful.”

“I advised him to go there.” Minho said proudly “An old high school friend of mine works there.”

“She is helping a lot. I’m even chatting with her right now.” Kibum announced with shining excited eyes. Soo Mi smiled and sat between the boys on the couch so that she could see the places Kibum was checking.

“She is called the princess of real estate!” Minho remarked taking the eyes from the screen for a few seconds “She was always extremely charismatic and smart. Besides she is beautiful, no wonder she end up being successful and called a princess!”

“She is very nice and competent, yes.” Kibum said scrolling through the page. Soo Mi watched him interested, wondering why he was being so vague about this real estate princess.

“You like her, don't you?” Minho asked in his familiar teasing tone “She is deadly gorgeous so you are attracted to her!”

“I don't...I…” Kibum’s eyes landed on Soo Mi that frowned, her heart starting to ache with jealousy.

“Just admit it!” Minho insisted even though Soo Mi looked at him bothered.

“She is beautiful alright, but she is just helping me. We aren't even friends.”

“Right...but you did go on a blind date with her before. Did you know that Soo Mi?” Minho nuzzled her arm and she bit her lower lip fighting the urge to punch him. Why was Minho pushing her buttons like that, what did he want?! Besides that wasn't true right?! She stared at Kibum waiting for him to deny it.

“We did have a blind date but that was some years ago.”

“And you even dated for a while….” Minho finished and Soo Mi whimpered turning on her side to face Kibum that looked at her curiously raising one eyebrow. Maybe she was being oo obvious being jealous but she couldn't control it. There was this woman that Kibum admired and she was beautiful and was helping him and they even dated before.

“For a while. Didn't work out.”

“Like none do and I wonder why…” Minho remarked before Kibum smacked the back of his head.

“Stop being an annoying !”

Soo Mi glued her eyes to the screen watching the soccer match but not seeing anything. Interjections came out from Minho’s mouth once in a while and she could hear Kibum typing, chatting with the Princess of Real Estate that she didn't even know the real name, on the other side of her.

All of her was bubbling and she was burning with jealousy and anger. Soo Mi was a fool for believing that even though she was sleeping in his bed, having with Kibum it meant that he wouldn't go out and meet other girls, girls for whom he could fall for, girls that he might end up loving. No! Not loving! She couldn't survive that! Soo Mi bit the inside of her cheek and looked at Kibum’s profile. She loved him and they were so good together. She only needed to stick with him for a long more, showing him how great they were in bed and out of it and then maybe he would fall for her too.

“When are you going to see the places you are interested to rent?”

“Tomorrow. I took the afternoon off from work.”

“Is this Princess going?”

“Hyorin?” The enemy had a name. “She has to since she is the one showing them to me.”

“I can go too!” Soo Mi offered “I can help you choose, giving you the point of view of your most faithful customer. The number one!” Her lips parted into a big smile. She was his number one fan, the one who loved him the most even if he never acknowledged it.

“Don't you have classes tomorrow though? Besides you are working after at the coffee shop.”

He was right and Soo Mi pouted “I could skip them…”

“NO WAY!” He scolded her as if she was a little girl and she sunk on the couch. “You said you would be serious about this!”

And she was! She was dead serious about him! She never skipped classes or work, but Kibum was important too. Couldn't he see that?!

“Aish! You can't skip work. You will leave Chaeri working alone?”

Soo Mi frowned “Are you two dating? You taking her side already!”

“We aren't dating yet but it is not fair. Besides I need someone there to keep watch for me. She had a bunch of admirers!” Minho chuckled. “Even though I know she is into me only!”

“How can you be so sure?” Kibum asked not taking his eyes from the screen of his laptop. Soo Mi hated it very much!

“You know. When someone is into you sometimes you can see it in the way they look at you when you are not watching.”

“If you are not watching how do you know?” Kibum asked looking at Minho but his eyes met Soo Mi’s instead. She quickly looked away fearing that he would read all her secrets.

“You know!” Minho leaned back on the couch “You just know!”

 

dq0n6e.jpg

 

Kim Kibum

The way Soo Mi looked at him the previous day haunted Kibum the whole day. She couldn't have feelings for him but lately, everything was pointing in that direction. was becoming more and more tender and sometimes they would stay tangled in each other's bodies only kissing and giving caresses for hours. She also liked to sleep in his arms, she was clingy and always found excuses to kiss his lips. Besides the way she reacted to Hyorin’s presence in his life, how jealous she seemed and the way she looked at him as if she was losing him.

He liked Hyorin. He couldn't deny it and he knew why Minho was acting like a jerk the previous night in front of Soo Mi. He advised him to make a decision and face his feelings. They talked about it while Soo Mi was sleeping. In Minho's point of view, she was in love with Kibum and prolonging that ual relationship of them would only hurt her so he used Hyori’s previous connection with Kibum to to make her jealous. It worked and maybe Minho was right, maybe the feelings he felt for Soo Mi that he tried to bury for years were mutual. The thought of Soo Mi loving him as more than a brother made his heart beat faster, made him happy and he couldn't deny it but…

He ruined every relationship he had. He was cursed and he couldn't risk it and ruin it with Soo Mi or could he?!

Even though the wisest decision was to break it all with Soo Mi and go back to common friends he couldn't push himself to do it and that day after spending the afternoon with Hyori, an attractive interesting woman that he didn't mind dating, that actually seemed interested in him, he spent it thinking of Soo Mi and even end up going to pick her up at work to surprise her.

Kibum stopped by the counter and greeted Soo Mi’s manager. Soo Mi was attending to two costumers on a faraway table but she noticed Kibum and smiled at him, her attention quickly averting to the two male costumers.

Chaeri was nowhere in sight so he asked the manager for her learning that Minho’s crush was sick. He wondered if Minho knew already if Soo Mi told him.

“Did she catch a cold?” Kibum asked searching for more information.

“We don't know. She only called to say she was sick. Soo Mi was surprised too and she didn't answer her messages. She is a mysterious one.”

“I see...”Minho always loved challenges, he wouldn't mind finding out about her secrets. Kibum ordered iced coffee to go and then turned to check on Soo Mi. She was smiling brightly but not at him, instead, she acting all coy still talking with the male costumers. One of them slipped a piece of paper to her and she scribbled something on it giving it back. Kibum frowned and it took him a while to hear the manager speak to him.

“She is very popular with males here. Usually, she ignores all the flirting, guess she likes this one!” He explained “At first I thought you were her boyfriend too.”

“No, I'm nothing like that.” Kibum said the words hurting inside “I'm only a friend.”

Soo Mi giggled touching the tips of her hair in a timid and yet seductive way and the guy to whom she gave her phone number blinked an eye at her that made her giggle like a little girl.

Soo Mi wasn't like that usualy. She wasn't coy or liked to flirt like that. She wasn't even timid. But what did he know after all? She wasn't that little girl anymore, nor the high school crush he had. Maybe he was wrong all along, about who she truly was and what she wanted. Minho was wrong. Soo Mi didn't see him as more as a friend, as more than a ual partner and he was an idiot for thinking too much about it.

“Can you tell her that I'll wait outside? It's too hot in here.” Kibum asked the manager and left the coffee shop.

He found someone he liked and Soo Mi did too. It was time to end that crazy relationship between them.

 

dq0n6e.jpg

 

Nae Soo Mi

“Isn't this weird?” Minho asked following after Soo Mi up the stairs. They looked like a funny couple, with her being way shorter than him and yet bossing him around as if he was her assistant.

“She called sick but I know it must be a lie.” Soo Mi remarked reaching the top of the stairs and taking a look at the narrow street in front of her. “She is avoiding my calls! This is for sure a case of Chaeri being her mysterious self.” Soo Mi turned to Minho with her hands on her waist “If you are serious about her you must find out what she is hiding.”

“I'm serious.” Minho answered, “But I also know that being a busybody is not the right way to seduce someone.”

“You are right but...aren't you worried?”

Minho didn't answer and instead looked over Soo Mi at the street in front of them. It was an old neighbor with small poor houses. According to Chaeri’s record at work, that was where she lived. She did have a lot of part-time jobs and seemed to lead a very deprived of luxuries life. Minho frowned and Soo Mi knew what he was thinking. He was worried about Chaeri.

Kibum’s friend loved to tease Soo Mi but he was a good guy and Soo Mi eventually started to see him as a friend too. He wasn't lying when he said he was interested in her coworker.

“Let's go!” Soo Mi led the way until they reached Chaeri's door. The house wasn't much different from the others in that neighborhood and with no hesitation and while Minho awkwardly seemed to fill the whole street in front of the house with his presence, Soo Mi knocked on the door.

No one answered so Minho knocked for her again this time with more strength. It wasn't long until the door opened and Chaeri showed up at the door wearing an oversized sweater over shorts, her red hair caught in a ponytail, an apron over her clothes. She widened her eyes and looked betrayed at Soo Mi when she noticed Minho with her.

“I know, I know!” Soo Mi quickly bowed “I'm sorry we came like this...but…” Soo Mi smiled apologetically “We were worried and I missed you. We both were...and missed you.”

Chaeri didn't seem that convinced but she didn't appear as mad as before.

“You shouldn't have come. I'm fine. You can go back.”

“You said you were sick?” Minho asked peeking over Chaeri inside the house which made her close the door more, only her body preventing it from shutting completely.

“I’m not sick. I lied. I needed to rest.”

“Really? “ Soo Mi asked suspiciously.

“You are a bad liar!” Minho interrupted. “What is happening?”

Before Chaeri could reply to them the voice of an old woman interrupted their conversation.

“Who are they?” An old short woman showed up behind her and she moved aside blushing as if she was caught doing something wrong.

“This is Soo Mi, grandma.” Chaeri said gently “I mentioned her before, remember?”

“Oh, the one from the coffee shop!”

“Yes!” Chaeri seemed too happy that her grandma remembered it.

“And this is…?” The old woman frowned tilting her head and Minho stepped beside Soo Mi and bowed politely.

“Choi Minho, I'm your grandaughter’s friend.”

“Oh!” Chaeri's grandma grinned and happily grabbed Minho’s hands. “It's nice to see you again. Why don't you come to visit us anymore? Are you a doctor already?”

Minho hummed confused and Chaeri spoke “No grandma, that's someone else. You are confused. Minho is another friend.”

The old woman released Minho's hands apologizing and Chaeri asked Soo Mi and him to wait while she helped her grandma back inside.

“That was weird…” Soo Mi whispered and Minho leaned his arm against the door frame and sighed. “What?”

“Isn't it obvious what she is hiding?!”

Soo Mi scratched her head confused wondering what Minho meant but Chaeri was back before she asked.

“I'm sorry, my grandmother gets confused sometimes.”

“She was the one sick, right?” Minho asked.

“No. The lady that takes care of her while I work is sick so...Now you know...everything.” Her eyes moved from her friend to Minho.

Soo Mi stared at her with no clue about what she meant and Minho rubbed her head vigorously, messing up her hairstyle so she pushed his hand away.

“Are you dumb or something?!” Minho sighed and then pulled Soo Mi away. “I'm sorry we intruded.”

Chaeri didn't say anything while Minho pulled Soo Mi by one arm away from the door and down the street. Soo Mi struggled to try to fight him off but he only released her when they were far away from Chaeri's house from her to hear anything.

“Are you crazy? What are you doing?!” Soo Mi noticed that Chaeri had closed the door of her house already.

Minho poked Soo Mi's forehead “I guess he didn't fall for your brain!”

“What the hell do you mean?!”

“Chaeri’s grandmother has dementia. She confused me with someone else….a guy I truly should find out who he is but…” Minho frowned taking a deep breath “That's why she works so much. She has to pay for living expenses and her grandmother's medical bills, besides paying someone to take care of her.” Minho groaned “She probably doesn't have more family.”

“Oh…” Soo Mi’s heart sunk. “It must be hard.”

Minho pressed his lips thinking and Soo Mi tilted her head watching him “What now?”

“Ah it!” Minho strode back to Chaeri’ house and Soo Mi followed him excited as if she watching a scene of a romantic k-drama unfold in front of her.

 

dq0n6e.jpg

Choi Minho

Chaeri's expression when her grandmother remembered who Soo Mi was, the way she smiled at him when they went shopping and how beautifully focused she looked working hard at the coffee shop were images replaying on Minho’s head while he marched back to her door.

That was him being serious and making a public statement about it.

Chaeri probably thought that she wasn't able to have a normal life because of her living situation, because of all the responsibilities she had. Maybe Minho was seeing too much into it but she probably didn't allow herself to dream and fight for her happiness because of it. Hell, she understandably didn't even date because she was busy taking care of her grandma. Be it then. He was always good with old people, he didn't mind helping her out if it was necessary. They would find a way to make it work if both wanted it.

Chaeri was even more surprised to see them this time but now it wasn't Soo Mi that was at her door, it was him with a Soo Mi peeking behind him cutely watching the scene.

“Did you forget anything?” Chaeri asked.

“Yes. I forgot to ask you to be my girlfriend!”

Chaeri bit her lower lip looking suspiciously at Minho “Are you joking?”

“He isn't!” Soo Mi answered but Minho placed a hand on her head and pushed her back.

“I'm not. I'm 100% serious as I was before when I asked you to go on a date with me.”

“As you can see I can't…”

He knew it!

“You can date if you want.”

“Are you….” Chaeri closed the door behind her and stepped outside so that her grandma wouldn't hear them talk. “Didn't you realize yet that my grandma can't be alone? She forgets things, sometimes even who I am. How can I leave her alone like this? Are you telling me that you want to date someone that can't even go out on a date? That is responsible for someone else every hour of the day?”

“Yes. That's what I'm saying because that person is you.”

“Wooow.” Soo Mi giggled behind Minho and he groaned wishing that she wasn't there witnessing that moment. Soo Mi would use his words against him later, the teasing would annoy him for weeks.

“You don't know what you are saying.”

“Well then let's find out. I don't mind coming to date you were. I don't mind going to see you at your part-time work. I don't care…Just give us a chance.”

“I was raised by my grandpa, I don't mind help taking care of your grandma! I bet Kibum can help too! He can even bake for your grandma! She will love him!” Soo Mi pointed out from behind Minho but this time he didn't push her away “Then you can go watch a movie or go drink a cup of coffee. I'm super good with old people!”

Chaeri's eyes filled with tears but even though she looked away Minho knew that she was thinking about it.

“Don't you like Minho, not even a little bit?” Soo Mi asked just to be pushed away by Minho.

“Can you give us some space now please?” Minho growled at Soo Mi.

“I do.” Chaeri answered interrupting the bickering and Minho blushed slightly so cutely that soo Mi laughed at him. The murderous way he stared at Soo Mi made her ran away giving them alone time and Minho sighed relieved.

“Does that mean that you will go out with me on a date?”

“No.” Chaeri answer disappointed him and he didn't even try to hide it. “I don't have much experience but, I hear that boyfriends take their girlfriends on many dates not only one.”

Minho smiled realizing what she meant “So is this day one?” He stepped closer to Chaeri and she swallowed stepping against the door of her house. He knew what she was thinking, and his eyes did fall on her lips but they had time for that later and Soo Mi was lurking on them.

“Tomorrow. Let's go on a date tomorrow.” Minho suggested and Chaeri pressed her lips together thinking.

Someone coughed, her tiny voice coming from behind Minho and he rolled his eyes knowing who it was. “I'm free tomorrow night…”

Chaeri chuckled and Minho melted wanting desperately to touch her cheeks, to trace the small dimple showing there. He never saw it before but then again Chaeri rarely smiled. He wished she did it more often.

“Thank you Soo Mi, you truly don't mind keeping my grandma company tomorrow night?”

“Nope!”

“Then…” Chaeri raised her eyes to Minho “Then its a date!”

 

dq0n6e.jpg

Kim Kibum

 

Soo Mi was fast asleep in the living room’s couch when Kibum arrived home. The vision of her on her cute pajamas, her hair braided on each side of her head, her feet bare made him feel more guilty. At least she wasn't sleeping in his bed.

Kibum slid to the space in the couch beside her and gently touched her leg waiting for her to wake up and notice his presence which happened soon after. She sat up and cleaned the corner of her eyes and mouth, fixing her hair pushing rebellious strands of hair away from her face. Kibum watched her in silence not caring about her appearance at all. Since he was little he was used to seeing her at her worst and yet he always saw her the same. Soo Mi was beautiful no matter what she did to her hair, no matter the clothes she wore or the makeup she put on.

Even thinking about how he was a er for her made him feel even sadder. He was a complete idiot always fighting against that feeling inside him and yet he couldn't stop.

“You came late tonight.”

“I went to sign the contract. I found a place to rent.”

Soo Mi frowned a small smile escaping her lips. She knew where he was now and didn't seem happy about it even though she congratulated him.

“You need to take me to see it.”

“I will. There is a lot to do now. I'll be very busy from now on.”

Soo Mi crossed her legs over the couch and nodded her eyes searching his. There was something else he needed to tell her and she knew because she knew him better than anyone.

“And…”

“I was out with Hyorin. After we signed the contract I went out to drink with her to celebrate it.”

“Hum.” Soo Mi rubbed her legs as if she didn't care about it at all.

“Minho was right.”

Soo Mi raised her eyes to him and Kibum held his breath, a heavy feeling at the pit of his stomach. He needed to tell her and he rehearsed it in his head over and over again on his way back home but now words were coming out in a wrong way.

“That she is good at her job?” Soo Mi asked suspiciously.

“That too but….”Kibum couldn't help but look away like a coward. It took him a lot of courage to face Soo Mi’s eyes again “Also that I am attracted to her and that there was something between us before.”

“So…”

“So...we kissed.”

Soo Mi didn't even move a muscle and Kibum swallowed hard trying to understand what that revelation meant to her. Was she hurt? Did she feel as if he betrayed her?

“I think we should stop this.” Kibum remarked, “This deal we made.”

“Because you kissed some girl?” Soo Mi asked scoffing.

“She is not some girl.” Kibum corrected her “She is nice I like her.”

“Right…like you liked the one before her and the other one…”

“What are you trying to imply?”

“Minho told me about all the girlfriends you had while I was back in Daegu.”

Kibum got up from the couch “Are you trying to say that I'm some kind of a playboy or something?”

“Aren't you?”

Kibum couldn't believe what he was hearing. Not because in a way it wasn't true but because he never expected Soo Mi to act like that, to see him like that. Did she have such an ugly image of him?! Was that why she asked him to sleep with her?! Because he slept around. He wasn't like that. Yes, he was unlucky with relationships but not because he wanted but because they simply never seemed to work out. It was that curse that followed him.

“Is that how you see me?” He asked disappointed “Is that why you asked me to have with you? Because you see me as an easy guy that goes to bed with any woman who crosses his path?”

She kneeled over the couch “I'm not any woman!”

“NO! You are the girl I was raised with and yet you seduced me until I couldn't say no to you!”

“WHAT?” She threw a pillow at him “Now I'm the only one at fault?! Don't act as if you didn't want it too!”

“Could you two keep it down?” Minho interrupted leaving his bedroom only wearing his sweatpants. “I and the whole building are trying to sleep!”

Kibum fumed turning his back on Soo Mi. It was true that it was his fault in the end. He should have known better, he should have never touched her. That night they had together changed everything and now they would never be able to get back to what it was. Could they at least save part of their friendship?

“I'm sorry.” Kibum said knowing that his words were ambiguous. Was he sorry towards Minho for the noise, towards Soo Mi for allowing that to happen or towards himself for not being able to protect his heart?

“It is alright. You two should calm down and talk about it later before you say stuff you will regret.” Minho sighed not showing any sign that he would move and leave them alone, maybe to prevent them from doing the opposite of what he advised them.

Kibum’s phone rang and he took it out from his pocket, his eyes meeting Soo Mi’s barely before looking away. She was now sitting on the couch with arms crossed, like a child sulking after throwing a tantrum.

It was his grandma’s id but who spoke was Soo Mi’s grandfather instead.

“Kibum I don't have good news. Are you with Soo Mi?”

“I am. She is here.” Soo Mi raised her eyes to him and stood up immediately as if she sensed that something was wrong.

“Your grandma…” Kibum closed his eyes, fearing the day that phone call would come, and listened. At some point, Soo Mi’s hand was on his arm asking for information.

“I see. I'll be there as soon as I can. Thank you grandpa.” Kibum the call and Soo Mi widened her worried eyes.

“What happened? Is he alright? Is grandma alright?”

“Grandpa found her. She fainted. She is at the hospital.” Kibum saw himself say faintly as if it was someone else speaking. Even if he prepared himself every year, every time he saw how fragile his grandmother was, he would never be able to accept the moment he might lose her.

“Let's go.” Soo Mi pulled him by his arm, her hand descending to his hand that she held firmly. “Let's pack some clothes. I'm sure we can catch an early bus to Daegu.”

Even if everything was falling apart between them they would never be separated, because they came from the same roots. And that was more important than anything happening between them at the moment.

 

Hello ~~

Thank you for waiting! >.<

Chat with me on twitter