Chapter 9: The best I can give you.

A delicate situation

 

 

It was finally D day for Jongin. After planning this day for the past 3 weeks, it had finally arrived and he just hoped that everything would go to plan. He took a deep breath as he walked through the school gates that morning, the celebratory banners were still displayed around the school halls from when the dance club had won the regional competition two weeks earlier. Photos of his and Yixing’s winning performance pinned to the wall next to the large trophy displayed proudly in the trophy cabinet. As he walked through the hallway, guys would give him high fives or silent nods of acknowledgement while many of the girls swooned as he walked passed them and shyly waved at him hoping to gain his attention. Jongin however was not paying attention to any of them as he approached his locker, shaking with nerves.

 

He received a message from Kris earlier that morning saying that he won’t be in school today as he was busy preparing for his Father’s company’s anniversary party tomorrow. Jongin had barely seen Kris after their bromber party, Kris had started coming back to school but Jongin had been so busy with dance practice that he never saw him and after coming to the regional competition Kris had barely attended school. He chuckled when he remembered Kris threatening to kill him if he touched Yixing inappropriately during the regionals performance.

 

Jongin sighed as he thought about how little he had seen of Kris since then. “He might as well have stayed in China” Jongin sighed out. He hadn’t even had a chance to introduce Kris to his Squishy at the competition as Kris barely made it in time for their show and left immediately after the award ceremony had ended, only having time to congratulate them both before dashing off. Jongin had noticed the disappointment on Yixing’s face as she hoped to celebrate the victory with her boyfriend. But she had brushed it off and continued to smile, not letting it get her down. “How many times has Kris abandoned her at crucial moments for her to be able to brush it off so easily?” he thought as he embraced her tightly in a hug. They spent the rest of the night celebrating along with the rest of the team and of course Kyungsoo. Jongin was so grateful to have Yixing to comfort him when he missed his best friend the most, she was the only person who understand, probably because she missed him just as much.

 

His thoughts immediately gravitated back to Kyungsoo and her beautiful smile. He began to feel stressed again about his plans. He took the card out of his locker and walked over to Kyungsoo’s making sure his girlfriend wasn’t in sight before slipping it into her locker and then walking to his first class of the day. He sighed hoping that everything would go well today.

 

Kyungsoo had woken up late and she quickly rushed out of the house without greeting her parents. She couldn’t be late for school and ruin her perfect record. She jumped into the back seat of the car and told the driver to step on it. It was so unlike her to wake up late but she had barely slept the night before worrying over the messages she had received the previous day. She scrolled through the messages again feeling the pit in her stomach grow. She didn’t know what to do or what to tell Jongin and these thoughts had kept her up most of the night. As she entered school, she let out a sigh of relief as there was still five minutes before the bell would ring. Kyungsoo greeted some of her fellow students as she approached her locker, not feeling in the mood to socialise. She punched in her locker code but before she opened the door she heard a loud noise from behind her causing her to turn and look. “Kyaaaaaaaa happy birthday Kyungieeeeeeeeeeee!” she heard Baekhyun scream at the top of her lungs. Baekhyun enveloped her in a hug as Kyungsoo finally registered what her best friend had said.

 

Kyungsoo had completely forgotten about her birthday with all the stress she had been under with student council meetings, college applications and the messages. She had only now recalled her mother calling out to her as she ran out of the house this morning, feeling like an awful daughter she reminded herself to message her later to apologise. She was surprised that her parents even cared anymore. After Baekhyun finally released her from her vice-like grip, Kyungsoo grinned and replied “Thanks Baekkie. I really appreciate it.” Baekhyun smiled and handed her a small box whispering “I saw you looking at it the other day at the mall. Happy birthday bestie and may we celebrate many more in the future.” Kyungsoo nearly cried after opening the box and seeing the diamond music note charm bracelet. She took it out of the box admiring it and quickly grabbed Baekhyun “Thank you. Love you Baek” “And I love you sweetie”. After their heartfelt moment, Baekhyun turned and left for class. Kyungsoo turned back to her locker, looking down to smile at her bracelet. As she went to grab some books a card fell to the floor. She picked it up and immediately recognised Jongin’s handwriting as well as the nickname written on the envelope “Baby Soo”. She muttered to herself “I’m older than you idiot. Who are you calling a baby?” knowing full well that no one could see the blush creeping up onto her cheeks.

 

Kyungsoo looked at the card with the picture of an adorable penguin cartoon on it and opened it to read the message he had left her.

 

Happy Birthday Soo!

You grow lovelier and more beautiful with each passing day and I’m grateful to be in your life to witness it.

I wanted to say it to you in person but we don’t share any classes together ;_;

Come and meet me in the dance studio after school so I can give you your present.

I will wait for you.

Yours always,

Nini

 

She kissed the card and she noticed it smelt vaguely likely Jongin. She closed her eyes and inhaled smiling as she did so. As she opened her eyes she noticed that she had gained some attention for her strange behaviour so she immediately closed her locker and walked to her first class, keeping the card close to her heart the whole time. The smile on her face never ceasing but the horrible feeling in the pit of her stomach only grew.

 

It was finally the end of the day and Jongin couldn’t handle it anymore, the butterflies in his stomach were overwhelming him. He couldn’t even eat at lunch as he spent every spare minute in the dance studio. He made his way to the practice room and made all of the necessary preparations. All that was left was to wait for his Squishy.

 

Kyungsoo had decided earlier that day to tell Jongin everything. She couldn’t take the guilt anymore, she would wait for him to give her his present and then tell him. She prayed to God that he wouldn’t break up with her and that this wouldn’t be a deal breaker for them. All she knew was that she couldn’t hold it in any longer. She held the handle to the studio and took in a deep breath “You can do this Kyungsoo. Just tell him the truth” she motivated herself. Finally plucking up the courage, she opened the door to the studio taking small quiet steps as she entered. The lights were off making it difficult for her to see anything in the room. She hesitated going any further “J- Jongin, are you in here?” She heard a click of a button and suddenly a spotlight in the centre of the room illuminating her boyfriend who was clad in tight leather trousers and an oversized white shirt that was slightly transparent under the light allowing Kyungsoo to take in her boyfriends beautiful figure. She gulped loudly and she saw a hint of a smile appear on Jongin’s face before she heard another click and music started playing from the speakers at both ends of the room.

 

Kyungsoo immediately recognised the song as Insatiable by Darren Hayes. As he started singing, Jongin began moving his body to the beat. She sat down on the floor realising that she was about to get a very special show. He started slowly with what Kyungsoo recognised as ballet moves and then he placed both hands on his heart mimicking a heartbeat with his hands. He swung his leg out and turned slowly so she could see the lines of his back as he dipped low and fell to the ground and began moving his pelvis in a suggestive manner. He stood up again staring straight at her as he approached her. His eyes didn’t have the same sparkle that they usually do. Instead they seemed much darker and lust-filled, a look Kyungsoo had never seen before. She knew that this was no longer her sweet angel Jongin but rather the y dancer Kai whose eyes were her in. She wasn’t complaining.

 

As he reached just in front of her, he placed his foot forward and moved his arms in a circular motion before dropping to his knees, taking her hand and placing a kiss on each of her knuckles. He then stood again returning to the centre of the room and continued with the seductive dance. Kyungsoo wondered if Jongin would have chosen this song if he knew what the singer was saying, she could picture her boyfriend turning red from reading the translation. English was not Jongin’s best subject. But she could honestly say that he got an A+++ for his dance skills. She hoped that Jongin didn’t dance like this in front of the other pretty girls in his dance club. As the song drew to an end, he looked to the ceiling reaching his hands into the sky and then placed both hands on his heart as if he had captured a piece of the heavens and the music stopped. There was another click and all of the lights in the room again revealing Kyungsoo’s flushed face which she had hoped to hide.

 

Kyungsoo raised her head to look at her boyfriend and observed his features soften and realised she was no longer seeing Kai but Jongin. He approached her hesitantly and spoke softly “Happy birthday Soo….did you…like your present?” Kyungsoo was speechless and was struggling to formulate whole sentences in her mind. There was a pregnant pause in the air and Jongin began to deflate as time went on until he heard Kyungsoo’s silky voice “It was amazing Jongin. Every time you dance it’s breathtaking. Thank you so much. It was the best present you could have ever given me.” She stepped onto her tiptoes and placed a chaste kiss onto his cheek, still blushing. He beamed at her and released the breath that he had been holding all day “I’m glad you liked it. I was more nervous than during the regional competition. I really wanted you to enjoy it. I thought it was the best thing that I could give you since I can’t afford to buy you expensive gift like the rest of the people at this school.” Kyungsoo could see the insecurity in her boyfriend’s eyes and wanted to reassure him, she took his face in her hands and circles onto his cheeks “I don’t need expensive presents. I just need you.” They stared into each other’s eyes feeling   drawn to each other.

 

Jongin leaned down and captured Kyungsoo’s lips with his own. It started off as an innocent kiss but as they moved closer to each other, bodies touching, Jongin took the opportunity to deepen the kiss. He slipped his tongue into Kyungsoo’s mouth and she welcomed it happily. As Jongin explored every inch of , Kyungsoo began feeling light headed from the lack of oxygen but had no intention of breaking the kiss. Swept up in the moment, Jongin placed both hands on Kyungsoo’s hips and began drawing circles over her uniform. Kyungsoo feeling bold tightly wrapped her hands around Jongin’s neck and lifted her legs up to wrap around Jongin’s waist like a koala. Jongin broke the kiss smirking at his girlfriend who was being so needy. He placed both hands under her thighs and continued to kiss her passionately eventually leaning her back against the wall to stabilise themselves. Both were enjoying their hot make out session and didn’t hear the other members of the dance studio enter until Taemin coughed loudly feeling uncomfortable. As the couple acknowledged the dance captain, Jongin immediately released Kyungsoo’s thighs and she loosened her grip on her boyfriend and dropped to the floor. Both were blushing madly and walked out of the room without uttering a word, hearing the members snickering as they left.

 

As they were at the school gate Kyungsoo turned to Jongin who still hadn’t collected himself after their heated moment in the studio “Thank you so much Jongin. You have made this the best birthday ever. I won’t ever forget it.” She was about to confess to Jongin thinking it was now or never when Jongin interrupted her “But the date isn’t over yet baby. There are still 6 hours left before the end of your birthday. We’ve only just begun.” He held out his hand and she took it hesitantly “What are we going to do now?” she asked, widening her eyes innocently the way Jongin loved. He leaned into her ear and whispered playfully “You’ll see.”

 

Kyungsoo quickly typed a message to her mother informing her that she was staying out late with Baekhyun and shouldn’t stay up and wait for her. Kyungsoo felt bad for lying but realised it was already becoming a habit. They approached Jongin’s bicycle and he climbed on gesturing at Kyungsoo to hop onto the back. He shot her an apologetic look knowing that she’s used to being chauffeured around but this was the best he could do. Sensing this Kyungsoo wrapped her arms around Jongins waist and said “Aw this feels nice. To be able to hug my boyfriends warm back while he takes me somewhere nice for my birthday. I bet all of the other girls are jealous that I have the best boyfriend in the world.” Jongin leaned back to look her in the eyes and flashed a genuine smile at her before responding “Make sure you hold on tight.” She nodded and they took off down the road. It was dark already since it was January and it was cold but Kyungsoo closed her eyes trying to enjoy the moment.

 

When they arrived at their destination Jongin rubbed her hands to get her attention “Soo baby, we’re here.” She opened her eyes and looked around to see that they were at the amusement park. Kyungsoo’s face lit up and she jumped off the bike. “Jongin,I can’t believe you bought me here. I haven’t been here in years. Thank you so much.” She ran and jumped onto her boyfriend hugging him tightly in gratitude. He returned the hug and laughed “I thought you might like it.” She released him and they entered the park. “I thought that amusement parks usually close at night?” Jongin scratched the back of his neck “My friend Kris knows the owner and he pulled some strings so that they would keep it open till late….for us.” Kyungsoo looked at him shocked “This…is just for us? Please thank Kris. It’s amazing!” “Well there are other people in the park. They would lose a lot of money if they only let us use it so they advertised it as a night time event. But we get priority on every ride.” Her smile widened “That‘s even better. I’d feel bad if they left the whole park open just for us.”

 

They went on every ride in the park and when they had finally finished, completely exhausted Jongin guided her to the Ferris wheel. They entered a cabin and took a seat opposite each other. Kyungsoo couldn’t wipe the smile from her face as she stared out of the window. She was enjoying herself so much that she didn’t want the date to end. Jongin looked down at his watch reading 11:55PM. He looked up at Kyungsoo and said “Kyungsoo there’s only five more minutes left of your birthday. There’s something I want to say…” He took her hands and looked directly into her eyes “Kyungsoo I know we haven’t been together long and that this is sudden but I want you to know…” he paused taking in a deep breath “I love you.” It was simple, no grand gesture, just Jongin with his beautiful smile and his wonderful soul confessing to her.

 

Kyungsoo’s heart melted, she felt like she was dreaming, she opened to respond but Jongin cut her off “Before you say anything, please don’t feel any pressure to say it back. I just wanted you to know that’s how I feel. I know that I’m lacking in many ways, I’m not very smart, cultured or well mannered and I’m not rich enough to buy you everything you want, everything you deserve, like the other guys at school…but I really do love you and I always will.” As he said this, his grip on her hand tightened. Lost for words for the second time that day, Kyungsoo leaned closer and kissed Jongin passionately on the lips. She poured all her feelings for him into the kiss hoping to convey her emotions through her lips. She moved to sit on his lap and deepened the kiss, tasting the sweetness of the coke he drank earlier on his lips. She detached from his mouth and leaned her forehead against his, whispering against his lips “I love you too Jongin. And I only want you. I don’t need any of the rest, just you.” She leaned in again for another kiss. She didn’t know what she was going to do for her boyfriend’s birthday which was only two days away. Suddenly the watch she bought for him two weeks ago seemed inadequate.

 

As the last few minutes of her birthday passed with lips locked and breaths mingling, Kyungsoo thought it was too late, she had already lost to Jongin. She loved him and there was no way that she could separate from him now. All thoughts of revealing the truth to him were gone and replaced with fear of losing him if he ever found out. She would tell him another time. She didn’t want anything to ruin the best birthday ever.

 

_____________________________________________________

A/N

I wanted to release this update on Kyungsoo's birthday but I was busy. So happy belated birthday to my little munchkin. I hope 2017 is another wonderful year for him, filled with joy and love from his fans and those closest to him. I will also be release a chapter for Jongin's birthday...soon. 

I hope you all enjoyed the kaisoo birthday season, there were so many special kaisoo moments at the Golden Disk Awards that I couldn't contain my feels. Our boys did so well and I feel like a proud mother lol. 

Anyway, until next time, 

Take care and keep loving kaisoo~~~

kaisoonoodle