Chapter 3: The best first date.

A delicate situation

 

 

Kyungsoo stood outside the cafeteria during lunch gesturing to Jongin to meet her once he was finished eating with his friend who had his back turned to her. She was happy that Jongin had made a friend on his first day. “He must be a really nice guy to have made a friend so quickly” she thought while smiling to herself. Once Jongin was satisfied that he had teased Kris enough about his friend crushing on Yixing, he stuffed his face with the rest of his food and ran out to Kyungsoo not wanting to keep his sweetheart waiting. She sent him a shy smile as he ran towards her. Jongin couldn’t help imagining a future where Kyungsoo would be waiting for him at the door when he got home from a long day of work and would flash him that same shy smile, showing off her full heart shaped lips. Once they met, they both bowed, once again internally slapping themselves for being unnecessarily formal. Kyungsoo blushed once more and opened to speak but lost her train of thought as she became mesmerised by Jongin’s smile.

 

She instantly became flustered and her palms began to sweat, Jongin became worried thinking to himself “Why do girls keep making this face when they are around me? First Yixing and now Kyungsoo.” Trying to collect her thoughts, Kyungsoo closed her eyes for a brief moment and when she opened them she saw Kai leaning in dangerously close to her looking concerned. He placed a hand on her forehead and asked “Are you OK? Do you need me to take you to the nurse?” Kyungsoo stared at Jongin completely stunned and slapped his hand away. Jongin apologised immediately and tried to explain that he was just checking her temperature to see if she had a fever. Kyungsoo stiffened and apologised while pouting cutely “I’m sorry for slapping you…but you just touched me so suddenly that I didn’t see it coming”. Jongin could have died from Kyungsoo’s adorableness and tried his best not to coo at the lovely girl.

 

Instead he coughed awkwardly and asked her how to get to the next class. As she guided him through the halls they spoke a bit more comfortably about the school and the dance club which Jongin was very keen to join. “There are only a few members of the dance club and I don’t know them very well” Kyungsoo stated. “They are like the jocks, they have their own click and don’t talk to anyone outside their group but if you are interested in meeting them, the school is having a festival tonight where they will be performing. You should be able to talk to them after the show.” “Sounds great!” he responded enthusiastically and Kyungsoo couldn’t help smiling at his cuteness. There was a long pause after which Jongin scratched the back of his head and asked awkwardly, “Er…are….are you coming?” This made Kyungsoo stop in her tracks and turn to look at Jongin.

 

Their eyes met briefly and Kyungsoo quickly averted her gaze towards the ground feeling her face heating up once again. Why did Jongin want to know whether she was going to the festival? She secretly hoped that it was so they could run into each other or even go together….like on a date. She snapped out of it thinking she was crazy, “Why would a gorgeous, ripped, olive skinned hottie like Jongin want to ask plain, boring, ugly Do Kyungsoo out on a date?” Kyungsoo took a long breath and finally looked up at Jongin and asked “Why do you want to know?” to which Jongin responded by getting flustered and stuttering “W-w-well I- I- th-th-thought that maybe if you’re going then we could meet up and maybe spend some more time together.” Jongin cursed himself for stuttering, he never had a problem talking to girls in the past. He gathered his courage once more and continued “Because I like spending time with you….I think you’re really cool.” After making his confession, Jongin’s legs turned into jelly and he could no longer support his own weight.

 

While Jongin was busy trying to stay in an upright position, he barely noticed that the girl in front of him had turned bright red. She couldn’t believe that a dreamboat like Jongin would think that she was cool. Kyungsoo shifted her feet out of nervousness and responded “I think you’re really cool too. I’d really like it if we went to the festival….together”. The red from her cheeks spread across her face and reached the nape of her neck as she spoke. Kai hadn’t noticed the change in her complexion as all he could hear were church bells ringing, 4th of July fireworks going off and the laughter of the angels as he ascended to the heavens.

 

Jongin was on cloud 9 but he was quickly bought back to Earth when he realised that he hadn’t confirmed that it would be an actual date. “Soooooo is that a date…?” Jongin asked while scratching the back of his head in an attempt to appear nonchalant. Kyungsoo with eyes firmly fixed on the ground replied with a barely audible “Yes” to which Jongin internally victory danced. There was a long silence and when Kyungsoo finally looked up at Jongin, she noticed that the smirk he usually wore was replaced with a full smile that made his eyes wrinkle until they were barely open. “He is so beautiful” she thought. While Jongin’s smirk was incredibly y and made him look attractive, there was something about his smile that warmed her heart and she could stare at it all day given the chance. Jongin could be innocent and sweet too she thought.

 

After a while realisation struck them both that they had been standing there for a considerable amount of time just staring at each other. The both looked away from the other at the same time feeling incredibly awkward. Jongin coughed nervously before continuing “OK, well I guess I’ll see you after school then?” Kyungsoo sighed in relief and replied quickly “Yeah…see you then.” As she turned to leave, she remembered “Oh wait Jongin” but once she had turned back toward the boy she noticed that he was still stood in the same place watching her leave. This made her more self-conscious but she tried to push it to the back of her mind and continued “Since it’s a cultural festival, we will all be wearing hanboks. You can borrow one from the drama department, they always have spares from past plays. I’m sure that they wouldn’t mind lending you one.” There was a long pause and then she continued “I’m really looking forward to tonight. I’ll see you after school. Bye”. Then she quickly her heels and ran out of the hallway before Jongin had a chance to respond.

 

Jongin walked in the opposite direction in a complete daze. He had a date with Kyungsoo. HIM. KIM JONGIN WAS GOING ON A DATE WITH THE SWEET ANGEL DO KYUNGSOO. He wanted to shout it from the rooftops but he settled for throwing a fist in the air, causing everyone in the vicinity to turn and glare at him. He couldn’t care less though, tonight would be the best night of his life.

 

____________________________

 

“Pull yourself together Soo. It’s just a date. You’ve been on dates before and you look adorable,” Baekhyun cooed at her best friend in an effort to get her off the floor of the girls toilets, where she had been sitting with her head rested on her knees for the past twenty minutes pouting adorably. “He’s different Baek. He’s just sooooo-” “Hot” Baekhyun stated, interrupting Kyungsoo’s reverie. “Well yeah but there’s so much more to him. He has these amazing eyes and when he looks at me, it’s like he knows everything about me. And his smile…” “Yeah, yeah OK I get it. He’s amazing and perfect. Now will you please get off the floor before you ruin your hanbok. I need to finish applying your makeup or you will never make it to your precious date with Prince Charming.” Knowing that her friend was right Kyungsoo quickly stood up straightening out her purple and yellow hanbok and trudged over to her best friend to finish preparing for her dreaded date.

 

Jongin was stood on the stage of the school theatre trying on his fifteenth hanbok and sighed because none of them were quite right. He really wanted to look his best for Kyungsoo but he sighed in defeat knowing that this was the best he was going to get. “Dude please just pick one so we can go. I still need to pick up my date” said Kris whining at Jongin from the other side of the stage. “That’s easy for you to say, you just texted your butler to pick you up the nicest most expensive hanbok he could find. While I’m stuck with this pile of sh**.” At this Kris rolled his eyes reminding Jongin “I did offer to get one for you too remember,” it was Jongin’s turn to roll his eyes as he replied “I don’t need charity from you or anyone else. But thanks for the offer bro. I appreciate it.” After throwing Kris a smile, he went back to looking at his appearance in the full length mirror.

 

“This one will have to do,” he said, to which Kris let out a sigh of relief muttering the word “Finally” under his breath. He stood up and walked to his best friend, patted him on the shoulder and said “You look good bro. I don’t know who this girl is but she must be special for you to go through all of this trouble. Especially when you could have your pick of girls at this school.” Jongin paused briefly and then responded simply “Yeah. She really is”. Kris watched his best friend straighten out his hanbok with a knowing smile. He could tell that Jongin was falling hard, he recognised the symptoms because he was the same when he had met Yixing. “Knock ‘em dead buddy. I’ll see you at the festival.” “Thanks. Later bro,” Jongin responded not turning around to wave his friend off but rather focusing on making sure that his appearance was perfect.

 

____________________________

 

Once Jongin had arrived at the festival, he immediately tried to search for Kyungsoo but he couldn’t find her hanging around the many stalls decorated in bright fairy lights. He walked passed a string of food stalls offering various traditional Korean foods which Jongin hated, “bring on the fried chicken!” he thought to himself. Up ahead he saw a small group of girls and headed towards them thinking he had caught sight of his date. As he approached however he realised he was mistaken and quickly escaped. Losing hope he sat down on a bench watching as couples walked by him enjoying their dates. Several girls tried to flirt with him but his disinterest was evident and they quickly abandoned their efforts. Jongin knew that he only wanted Kyungsoo, if only he could find her.

 

Little did Jongin know that Kyungsoo had been hiding behind the tree that he had his back turned to trying to pluck up the courage to speak to him. He looked so handsome in his red and white hanbok that matched perfectly with his strawberry pink hair. Watching Jongin ignore all the popular girls from school that had approached him, she realised that he really was waiting for her. So she stepped out of the shadows and tapped him lightly on the shoulder. Jongin turned around and a smile quickly made its way onto his face. Kyungsoo thought that she would never get bored of looking at Jongin’s smile. “Sorry I’m late. I was busy…helping theeee others get ready.” Jongin nodded and then responded “No problem. Y-y-you look really nice by the way,” and a blush crept up onto his chiselled features which his tanned skin couldn’t hide. “Thanks. I was hoping that you would like it”.

 

Jongin couldn’t believe it. The whole world stopped. “Did Kyungsoo just say that she wanted to look good…FOR ME?!” He mentally fist bumped himself and gathered the courage to look back up at her face, a smile adorning both of their features. “So do you want to look around? I can show you all of the best stalls. We usually hold the same festival every year so the stalls are always the same,” Kyungsoo said in an effort to dispel the awkwardness. “Sure. I would love that,” Jongin responded walking next to her, close enough that their hands accidentally brushed against each other. Both felt a strange bolt of lightning shoot through them from where their bodies had made contact. They stared into each other’s eyes until Jongin silently took Kyungsoo’s hand in his and they continued to walk. Kyungsoo was shocked but slowly recovered and began to enjoy the warmth being emitted from Jongin’s hand. She unconsciously tightened her grip which made Jongin smile wider, if that was even possible.

 

They walked around for a while looking at the stalls with Kyungsoo explaining the significance of each tradition. Jongin was in awe of her and thought that she was so clever and beautiful….definitely beautiful. They stopped to take a rest and Kyungsoo went to the restroom to freshen up. While waiting outside Jongin noticed Kris frantically running around each stall. Jongin approached his best friend “Kris. What’s wrong?” concern evident in his voice. “Jongin! I’m so glad you’re here. I can’t find her anywhere.” Kris responded exasperated. “Who?” Jongin inquired. “My date. Yixing. We went in the maze together but I dunno what happened. We got separated and then I couldn’t find her. I searched the whole maze and she wasn’t there. So I came out and looked around but she’s not here either. I have to keep looking. I’ll try the maze again.” Kris said before running off back into one of the many entrances/exits.

 

Jongin watched his best friend leave thinking that he had never seen Kris so worried before, especially about a girl. Kris was a notorious playboy back in the day. It was strange to see him react this way to a girl he had just met. Kyungsoo then came back out of the restroom looking at Jongin who was still distracted by Kris’ strange behaviour. “Jongin? Is everything OK?” Jongin turned to his date and said “I’m really sorry but my friend needs me to help him find his date. She has gone missing in the maze and I need to help him find her. I’ll be back as soon as I can. Just wait here.” Kyungsoo nodded in response and Jongin immediately ran into the maze to follow Kris. Once inside he managed to find the panicked boy and convince him that it was better if they looked for her together. Grateful for his friends help, Kris patted Jongin on the shoulder and they continued through the maze. “Sooooo Yixing. You really like her don’t you?” Jongin inquired. “Bro you have no idea,” Kris responded without sparing his friend a glance.

 

After wandering through the maze for another twenty minutes they eventually found her. Yixing was sat on the floor with her legs huddled to her chest and she looked like she had been crying. “Yixing!” Kris called. The poor girl instinctively raised her head and smiled at him. Relief washed over Kris as he took her into his arms and checked her over to make sure she wasn’t hurt. Jongin was stunned by this reaction but thought it was best to give them their privacy instead of interrupting to question their sudden closeness. As he was heading back towards his date, Jongin thought that he should take a leaf out of Kris’ book. If he really likes Kyungsoo then he should let her know. Life is too short yada yada. He quickened his pace to catch up to his date and when he saw her stood in the same place that he left her, a wide grin appeared on his face. He walked towards her and as they made eye contact he took her hand into his and guided her back to the main festival. They walked towards the hill where the fireworks display was set to take place and found a prime location to view the show.

 

Kyungsoo opened to speak but Jongin cut her off and said “Kyungsoo, I know we haven’t known each other long, well like a day, but I really like you…a lot actually. I know it’s sudden but would you be my girlfriend?” As Jongin spoke these words, the look of alarm on Kyungsoo’s face grew and he immediately regretted asking. As he was about to make a lame excuse that it was all just a big joke she responded “I really like you too Jongin. And….I would love to be your girlfriend.” With no other words said, Jongin squeezed her hand tighter and leaned in slowly to kiss her beautiful heart shaped lips that were currently quivering from both nerves and excitement. He closed his eyes and he made contact with the two plump cushions. The kiss was innocent and sweet, both just enjoying the feel of the others lips. They moved closer to each other, lips still attached, the feeling so foreign to both of them despite having kissed others before. Jongin deepened the kiss as he began moving his lips against Kyungsoo’s own, feeling the warmth radiating from her body and the soft silk from her hanbok. As he detached his lips from hers, he reached his hands up to rest on her adorably chubby cheeks and whispered “You’re mine now.” Kyungsoo smiled too and nodded wishing that this moment would never end. Basking in the glow of their kiss, they both hadn’t realised that they had already missed the entire fireworks show that had taken place around them. “This was definitely the best first date ever” they both thought as they clung to each other never wanting to let go.

 

_________________________________________

 

A/N

Hey, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. As you have probably already realised each chapter will focus on one couple which means that the timeline between chapters will overlap. SO you will probably need to remember what happened in the previous chapter to understand where we are in the story. 

Take care and keep loving kaisoo~~

Kaisoonoodle