Chapter 22: How is this possible?

A delicate situation

FOUR UPDATES - Please start reading from chapter 19

 

Yixing slowly opened her eyes but her vision was blurry. Beeping noises and shouting could be heard in the distance and as her eyes adjusted to the light she noticed that she was in a white room. She looked around and found herself in a strange bed with an i.v. drip attached to her arm. She tried to move but she felt incredibly weak and she could feel the throbbing in her head. She felt incredibly disorientated and confused as she frantically searched looked around the room. On the far right she saw Kris sat on a small chair with his head buried in his hands, barely moving or making a sound. At first she thought he was asleep but as she heard muffled sobs she knew that he was very much awake. As angry as she was at him for what had happened earlier, she needed him to tell her what had happened and why she was there. So she tilted her head ignoring the pain it caused her upper body and croaked “Fan…why am I here? What happened?” At the sound of her voice Kris quickly lifted his head and a look of relief washed over his pale features. He flew out of his chair and moved quickly towards her kneeling by the bedside, Yixing noticed that he didn’t make a move to embrace her or touch her in anyway which meant that Kris was aware that she was still angry at him. He looked at her rather nervously before casting his eyes to the blanket that was wrapped around her legs before answering “You…fainted. After they announced the King and Queen of the dance you collapsed and I bought you here…because I didn’t know what else to do. Luhan called your parents and told them but they have to wait a few hours before they can fly back from China. I asked the doctors to tell me what happened but they said…it was best to wait until you woke up and they can’t tell me because I’m not…your next of kin.”

 

Yixing slowly nodded attempting to process the information that she had just received. At that moment the doctor walked in and smiling brightly at the couple “Hi there…Yixing-shi, my name is Dr Choi but please call me Siwon. So you collapsed during the school dance and were bought here by your fiancé.” Yixing turned to look at Kris in shock who responded by looking nervously back at the bed “They weren’t going to let me stay when I said that I was your boyfriend so I had to…improvise” he said. Yixing sighed and turned back to the doctor who then continued “Anyway, having reviewed your records and run some tests we want you to know that you’re fine. There is nothing wrong with you physically although you are a bit malnourished.” At this point Kris interjected looking rather perplexed “Then why did she faint?” and the doctor turned to him before answering “That’s because she’s pregnant. Congratulations to you both. Yixing-shi you are roughly 16 weeks pregnant based on your hormone levels. We also need to run an ultrasound to check the health of the baby but we wanted to wait for you to wake up before we did it.” Yixing and Kris both stared at the doctor in complete shock, eyes wide and jaws dropped. “I guess based on your reaction that you weren’t expecting this. If that’s the case, I can call someone from psych to go through your options as to whether you want to keep the baby or not. But our first priority is to check that the baby is healthy.” Yixing nodded slowly trying to comprehend what the doctor was saying but she was failing miserably as her thoughts spiralled out of control.

 

Siwon smiled again before adding “I’ll leave you guys alone for a while to process the news. I’ll arrange the ultrasound and be back in a few hours.” Before he could turn and leave Yixing voiced out “But how? I’ve still been having my periods. I know that I’ve been vomiting and not eating but how do you explain the bleeding?” Siwon smiled at her and softly said “It happens to some women. Particularly when they are under severe stress, which if you don’t mind me saying, it looks like you’ve been during the early stages of the pregnancy.” Yixing nodded completely shocked by this revelation. Kris then voiced out “But I wore a …” and Siwon chuckled “Yeah. Sorry kid but those aren’t 100% baby proof. I’ll let you guys talk this out and I’ll be back later.” He smiled as he exited the room and both high schoolers bowed to him as he left.

 

Silence descended on the hospital room as they both digested the information. Kris pulled the chair so that he could sit closer to the hospital bed and looked up at his girlfriend. “I-I can’t believe it” Yixing said first. “Neither can I” Kris replied. “But…I’m happy…All I’ve ever wanted is for us to have a family” he added. Any other day those words would have warmed her heart but not today, not after everything that had happened. She laughed exasperatedly not wanting to fight but her anger still hadn’t subsided “As long as it’s kept a secret. You’re happy only if it’s hidden while you and Kyungsoo can still go around and play the happy couple.” Kris shuddered at the remark not knowing how to answer “Xing, that’s not true…I never want to hide you or keep you or our family a secret. You have to believe me.” She laughed once again, this time with tears in her eyes “Why should I? I saw you tonight. You really are a great couple, worthy of the crown. You are so refined, pristine and perfect, why would you want to be with someone average like me? I’m sure Kyungsoo could give you much better babies than I can and we both know it’s true. So don’t come here and lie and tell me that you love me and that you want this. I saw your face when you were out there together with your new friends, acting like a couple, you loved it. So don’t worry about me…or this baby, just go back to Kyungsoo. Get your company. Be happy. You have everything you could have ever wanted.” Kris looked up at her, eyes filled with pain and sadness “That’s not true….because all I ever wanted was you.” Yixing looked away, fighting hard to suppress the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes when she whispered “Just go.” Wordlessly Kris stood up and exited the room knowing that there was nothing more he could do to convince her.

 

A few hours later Siwon returned with the ultrasound kit with a big smile on his face “Now are we ready to see the little one Yixing-shi?” Yixing couldn’t suppress the smile that worked its way onto her face, the doctor’s bright smile and enthusiasm washing away her worries. She nodded as she sat up. “How are you feeling? Should we wait for your fiancé?” he asked. “I’m much better thanks and no we won’t be waiting for him” she responded because in honesty she was doing as well as she could be in that moment. Despite her feelings towards Kris at that moment, she felt a warm and happy sensation bubbling up inside her at the prospect of having a child. In all honesty since she met Kris, all she had dreamed of was their future together with several children running around them happily. And after spending the past few hours thinking about it she realised that she would be happy with that picture even if Kris wasn’t in it, even if the thought did break her heart. As the machine was , Siwon raised Yixing’s gown “I’m going to rub this on your stomach. It will feel cold and might feel a bit strange.” Yixing nodded in acknowledgement as she felt the gel being poured out of the tube onto her stomach. As the probe was placed onto her stomach and the gel was spread, Yixing could feel her heart race and she began to hyperventilate. Noticing her distress Siwon removed the probe “Are you alright?” he inquired, a look of concern plastered on his handsome features. She shook her head violently “No. Yi Fan. I need Yi Fan. I’m not ready. I c-c-can’t do this without him. Please I need him, please get him.” Siwon smiled at her remaining calm as he stood up and walked out of the room. He returned momentarily with a sad looking Kris walking slowly behind him, eyes still downcast. Once he entered the room Kris raised his head and searched for Yixing. When he saw the look of distress on her face and the tears streaming from her eyes he quickly approached the bed and clasped her face in his hands as he wiped away the tears.

 

Yixing visibly relaxed and Kris eventually let go of her face now moving to hold one of her hands between both of his. After a few minutes she had calmed significantly and Siwon spoke again “Are you feeling better? Would you like to try again?” Yixing simply nodded and the doctor then repeated the procedure. Yixing and Kris remained still, hands entwined and staring into each other’s eyes until they heard a noise coming from the machine. “What’s that?” Kris asked turning to the doctor. “That…” Siwon smiled “Is the baby’s heartbeat. It’s a strong one. Congratulations mummy and daddy you have a very healthy baby that looks like it’s just the right size for its age.” Yixing and Kris looked at each other once again relief and joy overcoming all of their feelings of anxiety about their relationship and what this meant for the future. The soft humming of the baby’s heart, their baby’s heart, was the most beautiful thing that they had ever heard. Siwon’s voice then broke them out of their little bubble “Now! Would you like to know the ?” They looked at each other but no words were exchanged but they both knew what they wanted as they both looked the doctor in the eye and answered “Yes” simultaneously.

 

Siwon searched around a bit more before he announced “Well congratulations! Looks like you’re having a baby girl. And with any luck she will be just as lovely as her mother.” Siwon smiled again at both of them making a blush rise to Yixing’s cheeks. He wiped the gel from her stomach before turning off the machine and informing them “We can get that on a DVD for you and give you some pictures for you to keep as well. A nurse will come and bring that to you later. I’m going to release you tomorrow even though you are looking much better. Once I’m sure you are no longer dehydrated you are free to go. But this will be the last time I’m seeing you so I wish you all the best guys” and with that he turned and left. The couple hardly registered what the doctor had said and when the door closed silence enveloped them both. After what felt like an eternity Kris tightened his grip on Yixing’s hand as he whispered “We made that…Xing, we created a life. And she’s beautiful.” Yixing looked up and saw the genuine smile on Kris’ face and it was enough to make her fall in love with him all over again. She smiled at him softly and whispered “Yes – we did. And she is beautiful because she will have the best of both of us in her.” Kris raised her hand to his lips and kissed it passionately, pouring out all of his feeling for his girlfriend into the kiss. He then hesitantly placed his hand on her stomach, only now realising just how much it had grown and now the baby bump was slightly visible. He caressed her stomach and they both felt nothing but love and joy in that precious moment.

 

Suddenly the door to the hospital room flew open and Yixing’s parents ran into the room, panting to try and catch their breath. “Xingie! Are you OK?” Her parents ran towards her, her Father gripping her face and hugging her tightly. Her mother then pushed him aside to check for herself that Yixing was actually alright. “Baby what happened? Are you OK?” Yixing smiled feeling overwhelmingly grateful that they had come and that she had the best parents in the world. “I’m fine guys. But…there’s something I need to tell you both. Please take a seat first, you must be exhausted.” Her Father pulled a chair for himself and his wife as he said “We’re fine baby girl. You don’t need to worry about us. But what actually happened? What is it you need to tell us?” It was at that point that they both noticed Kris sitting on the other side of the bed next to their daughter and they both turned to look at each other before slowly taking their seat as they turned to look at their daughter, ready to hear her explanation.

 

Yixing sighed looking at her parents before turning to Kris “I need to talk to my parents…alone. Um. You should go home and rest. Come back tomorrow and we can talk then.” Kris chose not to argue with his girlfriend as he felt her mother’s eyes bore into the back of his head. He stood up and bowed a fully 90 degrees before turning to leave the room. They all watched him leave and once he was safely out of earshot Yixing’s mother spoke up “What was he doing here? What is happening Yixing? Tell me everything, NOW.” Yixing flinched hearing her mother’s stern voice and usually at this point her Father would intercede to calm his wife but when Yixing looked at him disappointment was evident in his eyes. Accepting her fate Yixing finally spoke “Mom, Dad, I love you guys and I know you wanted me and Yi Fan to break up but…we have been seeing each other for the past year now. We never really broke up. I’m sorry if that hurts you and I’m sorry that I lied to you about it but…I love him. I couldn’t let him go. I know I’m a disappointment as a daughter but I can’t live without him. Please try and understand.” Yixing looked up at both of her parents pleadingly hoping that they could see it from her prospective but she was fresh out of luck. Her mother shouted “Are you out of your mind? You have been dating behind our backs this WHOLE TIME?! What is the matter with you Yixing?” Her Father then spoke up “Xingie look at you. Look at what being with him gets you. You’re in hospital now and I bet it’s from stress. He is with the Do’s daughter for goodness sake, what were you thinking?” He looked at his daughter with sadness and disgust painting his features.

 

Yixing then tried to explain everything to her parents “They aren’t really together…she’s dating Jongin my dance partner. They have been together for just as long and are in love. We aren’t doing anything wrong. I know it was bad to keep it from everyone but we knew that there was no way that you accept it.” Her Father sighed again “Do you know why we never accepted it? Because Xingie…we knew he would end up hurting you. We knew that his family would never accept you and I never want you to live in a house where you are not treasured. You are my treasure and I won’t let anyone treat you like you are anything less.” Yixing was lost for words, touched by what her Father had said “Which is why…” he continued. “Which is why, when Yi Fan’s father offered to pay us off to keep you separate…I took it. Do you know why we did that? Because we knew that it was the only way to ensure that you two stayed apart. I can’t bear to see you hurt, so I swallowed my pride and besmirched my own family name and accepted a pay off from the mighty Wu Empire. Because I thought…that was how I would keep you safe.” At this point Yixing was in tears, she had no idea what her parents had done to try and protect her “But you went….and threw it back in our faces. How could you?” Yixing sat feeling like a petulant child, guilt sinking in through her skin to her bones but she knew that she had to stand her ground “Because I love him…” She looked up at both of her parents and said again with more conviction “I love him. Even with his crazy Father and his fake fiancé and his company. I love him. The man…not the name. and I will take it all, the pain, the heart ache. It’s all worth it because I have him.” Her parents were taken aback by her boldness and knew that there was no point in arguing with her about it any further. She had already made up her mind and as lovely and sweet Yixing was, she could also be incredibly stubborn.

 

Her Father shook his head “You’re making a mistake love. But you are an adult now. It is your mistake to make.” His wife turned to him “But- ”  and he raised his hand to silence her. “That’s the end of it. Yixing knows the consequences of her actions and if she still chooses him then there is nothing we can do about it. I won’t stand in the way of my daughter’s happiness. If that’s the case then I would just be doing the exact same thing as I’m trying to stop other people from doing to her.” His wife nodded knowing that her husband’s decision was final and Yixing was shocked as this was the first time her mother hadn’t put up a fight. “Thank you” Yixing said, grateful that she didn’t have to fight her parents on this. “But I have to tell you something. I’m not in here because of stress…I’m pregnant. It’s a baby girl” she whispered. Her mother gasped and her Father stared on in shock. Yixing held her stomach “I’m sorry to shock you like this and if you’re disappointed in me then there is nothing that I can do but Baba…I’m really happy…we’re really happy.” Her mother hesitantly reached over and held her daughters hand over her stomach and smiled “I’m…going to be a grandmother” and Yixing smiled as she nodded. Her Father however stood up abruptly “I need to think about this” and he simply turned and exited the room. Yixing’s mother reached up and hugged her daughter tightly feeling overwhelmed with joy despite the situation. 

 

As Yixing’s Father turned out of the hospital room, he noticed someone sat on the floor leaning against the wall. Once he discerned that the figure was Kris he asked sternly “I thought Yixing told you to go home?” Kris on the floor flinched as he registered the voice and shot up. “CEO Zhang. I’m sorry, I just wasn’t sure if Yixing might need me later so I didn’t want to leave” Kris inquired not wanting to mention something he shouldn’t. “You heard everything?” the elder asked sternly and Kris nodded while keeping his head low. “Follow me” the elder commanded and Kris obeyed following him into the hospital cafeteria. Yixing’s Father placed a coffee in front of Kris knowing the younger must have been incredibly exhausted and probably hadn’t slept all night. “I need to apologise to you” the elder announced and Kris looked up at him surprised by his words. “For accepting money from your Father, that was underhanded. I have felt guilty about it for a long time and I’m glad that it is off my chest. Now isn’t there something you would like to say to me?” he inquired. Kris slumped into himself “Sir, I’m so sorry for keeping our relationship a secret. You deserved better than that, I thought you knew…I wasn’t aware that Yixing had kept it a secret. Not that I’m making excuses. And…I’m sorry for faking my relationship with Do Kyungsoo. I thought it was …the only way to keep my Father off my back and protect Yixing from him. But now I know that it isn’t true…I did it for my own selfish goals and that is much worse and for that I am beyond sorry. And for putting things in front of your daughters happiness is my greatest sin…and for that I am also sorry. I can list a million things that I’m sorry to you for…but this baby…our baby, is the one thing I’m not sorry for. She comes from our love and I will never be sorry for that. I love your daughter Sir and our unborn child and I promise that I will spend the rest of my life proving that to you…if she ever takes me back that is.” As he said the last bit his shoulders slumped once more.

 

“She will take you back. You heard her. She chose you…over everything. Now you just have to prove that you are worth it” Kris nodded listening to the elders wise words. “Now drink up” and that sat in silence while drinking their coffees. As they entered Yixing’s room, mother and daughter were speaking animatedly about baby clothes and names, smiles plastered on their faces. Yixing’s Father gestured silently to his wife to leave the room and give Kris and Yixing some privacy. As they left Yixing turned to Kris “I…thought you left.” Kris scratched the back of his neck “Yeah…well I wouldn’t be able to sleep because I’d be worried so I wanted to stick around. But…I need to go now. There are things that I need to sort out and I need to talk to my Father. I need to earn your respect and trust back. Please give me a chance.” Yixing blushed lightly and nodded compelling Kris to continue “I love you Yixing. You are my everything and I’m sorry if you ever felt like you weren’t good enough or that I didn’t love you with every ounce of my being. But I do, truly, and now…with this baby, you have made me the happiest man in the world. You have given me everything I could have ever dreamed of, now let me try and do the same for you love.” He reached forward and leaned his forehead against hers and smiled, feeling grateful that she didn’t push him away. They stayed in that position until Yixing finally spoke up “OK go. Don’t worry I have my parents with me. Do what you have to do and then…make sure you come back to me.” He nodded violently and then kissed her and caressed her stomach whispering “I love you both to the galaxy and back” and he left the hospital. “Your Daddy is so silly isn’t he?” she sighed rubbing her barely visible baby bump. She smiled to herself and lay down to rest.

 

Kris walked towards his car, never had anything been clearer in his life. He knew what he had to do as he slid the ring off from around his neck, tossing the chain to the side and sliding the ring onto his finger. He turned the ignition and drove off filled with a new sense of purpose.