Chapter 10: How do you want me to feel?

A delicate situation

 

Warning: Double update

 

Making the final arrangements for the anniversary party was harder than Kris thought. There was so much to organise and he felt like he alone was managing everything “Where are all the other employees? What are they even doing” he thought. He didn’t even know why they were hosting the party in Korea instead of China, not that he was complaining because it meant he could still meet up with his girlfriend despite his busy schedule. He knew that she was still upset with him for leaving straight after her dance competition without celebrating with her. They did have a private party a few days later but he knew that Yixing wanted to celebrate together will all of her friends. She was a humble and innocent person but Kris knew that she liked to show off their relationship, he was definitely her pride and joy and he loved it. He still hadn’t told her that his Father was forcing him to his fiancé to the party and publicise their engagement. He had been too cowardly to tell her the truth and since she was already angry at him, he didn’t want to put her in a worse mood. But the party was tomorrow and he needed to tell her. He invited her to his house for a special breakfast picnic in one of the gardens of his mansion. He hoped that the beautiful scenery would soften the blow.

 

Luhan answered the door to Yixing who smiled at him happily “Luhan! How are you?” Luhan beamed back at her “It has been so long Miss Yixing. You look very well. I’m happy to see you both have sorted out your problems and I’m glad to see you both together and happy.” At his words Yixing blushed with a light pink dusting her pale cheeks but before she had a chance to thank him for the supportive words, she heard her boyfriend’s voice bellowing in the background “Luhan! You had better not be hitting on my girlfriend. I’m the only man who is allowed to make her blush.” With a slight smirk Luhan bowed and answered “Of course Young Master” he smiled and bowed to Yixing and Kris before leaving the room. Kris turned to Yixing taking her arm in his and kissing her gently on the cheek “Hey baby. You look amazing. Ready for some breakfast?” Yixing nodded violently as she was starving and Kris led her to the garden.

 

“Woah Fan! It’s beautiful. Did you plan all of this just for me?” He smiled and walked up to her and placed another kiss on her cheek “Yep it’s all for you. I’m just glad you like it baby.” He hugged her from the back as he spoke and leaned down to inhale her intoxicating scent. She seemed to be in a much better mood today and Kris hoped that it would stay that way. They enjoyed a breakfast of scones and English breakfast tea, Yixing felt like a high class lady from Downton Abbey. Her Fan Fan always knew how to spoil her. She looked up at the sky recalling earlier that morning when she had decided to stop being angry at him for leaving her after her dance contest. She remembered what Jongin said about the pressure that Kris was under by his Father and the company. Yixing should be grateful that he made time to come at all. Putting things back into perspective she looked at her boyfriend who was once again staring at her intensely. This time she didn’t ask him about it and simply accepted that it was his way of showing affection.

 

She moved closer to him and sat in between his parted legs and they naturally intertwined their fingers. Kris brushed his thumb over her knuckles and used his other arm to hug her tightly from around her waist. She looked up at him and whispered “This is perfect. I wish everyday could be like this.” He looked down at her and proceeded to turn her around in his arms. He gently her cheek and stated confidently “It will be baby. One day it will be like this all the time, the only difference being there will be lots of little baby Xing’s running around the garden while me and you share some grown up time back in the house.” With the exception of the dirty part, Yixing really liked that idea and could picture her and Kris growing old in the big house with all of their children and in that moment she wanted nothing more.

 

Kris stared at her while she looked out into the distance knowing that she was dreaming about those days. He realised that there would never be a good time to tell her and now was as good a time as any. “Xing baby I need to tell you something.” Yixing looked at him with her big brown eyes and Kris wavered but he knew that he just had to do it and deal with the consequences later. All he knew was that he didn’t want to lose her again and would do anything to prevent that from happening. “I love you. You mean everything to me and these past few months have been the best of my life. I need you to know that…” He looked into her eyes silently begging for her to not break up with him. She looked back at him not understanding the pleading look in his eyes “You’re not breaking up with me are you?!” she looked back at him in disbelief.

 

He held her face in the palms of his large, calloused hands and calmly continued ignoring the look of sheer panic in her eyes “No baby, I won’t ever be the one who will break up with you. But I need you to know that my Father has planned something for the anniversary party.” He took a deep breath and she nodded gesturing him to carry on “He wants me to….take my fake fiancé as my date. He wants to introduce us as a couple to the board members.” Yixing immediately retreated from his touch and began fiddling with her hands in her lap. Kris knew he was losing her and he would have to act fast to save his relationship “But it’s just a power play baby, nothing else. He just wants everyone to see that he can still control me. But it won’t happen and I won’t EVER marry her. I only want you, just you. Please believe me baby, I can’t lose you.” He took her hands into his hoping that it would make her look up from her lap and it worked but he wished he hadn’t when he saw tears pooling in the corner of her eyes.

 

Kris held her close and whispered into her hair “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. Please Xing, I know that I don’t deserve it but please believe me, I love you more than anything. You mean everything to me but….I need to do this. I need to make them think that I am on my Father’s side so that when the time comes, they will support my appointment as CEO. She doesn’t want to marry me either and hates this just as much as I do but it is just a means to an end. Just a few years of this fake engagement and when you have graduated high school I WILL marry you.” He looked into eyes again and begged “Please Xing, say something.” Tears slowly started to stream from her face and she tried to hold herself together as she had barely heard anything Kris had said after telling her that he was confirming his engagement. She had always thought that as long as no one knew about it, she could pretend it wasn’t real. All of the visions of the future and the baby Xing and Fan’s running around quickly disappeared before her eyes, replaced by visions of her being left alone without her boyfriend.

 

Yixing composed herself after several minutes had passed where neither of them had spoken “There really isn’t anything left to say. You’ve already made up your mind. What do you want from me?” Kris was taken aback by the coldness in her voice and struggled to answer “I…I don’t want anything Xing. I just didn’t want there to be any secrets between us. I just need you to understand that I don’t have a choice and I hope that you can forgive me. Please don’t leave me.” He laid his head in his hands as he began to tear up as well, seeing Yixing break like this was too hard for him to bear. “AND WHAT DO YOU WANT?! MY BLESSING??? FOR YOU TO PARADE AROUND SOME OTHER GIRL AND SAY SHE IS YOUR FIANCÉE? WHAT DOES THAT MAKE ME?! WHO AM I TO YOU THEN? I’M NO ONE!” Yixing bellowed, shocked at the venom in her own voice she once again attempted to compose herself. “Never baby. You will never be just anybody to me. You are everything to me. I need you and I will do anything for you but to secure our future, I need to do this right now. I need to make sure that we have something solid for our children to inherit. We come from wealth Xing, we can’t live in poverty. We won’t survive.”

 

Yixing let his words sink in and she stood up walking to the other side of the garden, taking in the breathtaking view in front of her. She was always conceding things for Kris and never expecting anything back because she thought that was how love worked. But now she realised that she needed more from him, she needed assurances and she would no longer let things slide. She turned around to see her boyfriend stood a few feet behind her, head down and curling into himself. She had never seen him so small and it made her heart waver but she knew that she needed to be strong or he would continue to take advantage of her love. “Do what you have to do.” She began and Kris lifted his head feeling hopeful that he would be forgiven. “BUT don’t think that this is the end of it. Thing are going to have to change from now on. When I need you, doesn’t matter when or where you will be there. Even if I’m being unreasonable or demanding, you will come.” Kris nodded, silently accepting to her rules without meeting her eyes. She continued “You will come to school more regularly and graduate on time. I won’t marry someone who doesn’t at least have a high school diploma regardless of how rich he is. And lastly, I will also be going to the anniversary party.” At this Kris raised his head and looked at her in shock “I don’t care how you arrange it but I want to be there. I want to see your fiancé and watch both of your interactions. Once I’m satisfied that there is nothing going on between you two then I will allow you to keep up this charade. But only for as long as it takes for you to become CEO, after that you had better call off the engagement immediately. I don’t care what the consequences are.”

 

Yixing took a deep breath, she was proud at herself for not breaking down and crying before the love of her life who looked like a kicked puppy. Kris finally plucked up the courage to meet her stern gaze and hesitantly answered “Yes Xing. Whatever you want I will do it. But about attending the party…I don’t think it’s a good idea. What if my Father sees you? He won’t be kind to you and may cause a scene.” She raised her hand to silence him “As I said Yi Fan, that’s not my problem. You work it out or I’m leaving and this time I won’t take you back.” With that said Kris narrowed the gap between them and took her hand in his and responded “Whatever you say baby. I will work something out. Just be ready tomorrow. I will have a car come and pick you up.” She nodded and removed her hand from his. “I’m going to leave now. Thanks for breakfast.” She placed a chaste kiss on his lips and proceeded to leave the mansion. As she reached the front door Kris came up behind her having chased after her. He fell onto his knees and hugged her waist “Xing! I will do whatever you want and whatever it takes for us to be together. You can hit me or yell at me or call me names but please, please just don’t ignore me. Please don’t be cold like this…it’s not who you are. Please I know I’m asking for too much but please go back to being my lovely Xing again.” Yixing looked up and noticed that many of his house staff had stopped working and were staring at this intimate moment between the couple. She was shocked by Kris’ actions as he was always self conscious about showing weakness in public but here he was on his knees, clinging to her, begging for her to stay with him.

 

Yixing leaned down and picked Kris from the floor and led him outside the mansion, away from prying eyes. She held his face in her hands, as he had done to her earlier “I love you Fan. I will always love you. But you have to understand that I can’t keep doing this. I keep giving in to you and what you want but I’m always the one who loses. I just want to make it fair between us so we both win and we both lose.” With that she kissed him on the lips once more, this time with a bit more fervour. She smiled at him and then whispered “Now I have to go. Message me the plan when you have worked it out. I’ll wait to hear from you. Bye baby. Hope the arrangements go smoothly.” She entered the car and he watched as the driver took her away. He released the breath that he wasn’t aware that he had been holding and fell to the ground. At least she hadn’t broken up with him. He had to take that as a good sign, now to plan how he was going to get her into the party unnoticed.

 

Kris pulled out his phone and called “Hewwo! Kriph?” Kris rolled his eyes as he could hear his friend answer the phone with a mouthful of food, chicken no doubt. “Oi Kamjong, stop talking with your mouthful. It’s disgusting! Stop eating and listen, I need your help.” Kris proceeded to explain the conversation that he had with Yixing earlier on. Jongin felt bad for his friend and the predicament that he was in but he also felt proud that Kris was being honest with Yixing about everything “What do you need me to do?” Kris sighed and began “Well….the only way I can think to get her in is if you she attends as your date.” “But I thought that I wasn’t invited?” “You aren’t but I can justify you coming as my best friend. And since I’m giving the old man what he wants by going through with this engagement, he will probably let it slide that you are coming. Please Jong, I really need to save my relationship.” Jongin didn’t hesitate “Of course Bro. No problem….there will be free food right?” Kris chuckled “As much as you can eat Dude. But please…take care of Xing. When she sees me and my fake fiancé together, she probably won’t take it well. Please keep an eye on her and make her smile. I’m counting on you Jong.” Jongin knew that Kris needed someone to be on his side at this moment and responded “You can count on me Bro. I will take care of her. You don’t have to worry.” “Thanks Jong. I really appreciate it. I’ll have a car come and pick you both up. I will send a tuxedo with the driver. Please look presentable tomorrow.” Kris could feel Jongin roll his eyes as he hung up the phone.

 

Kris proceeded to message Yixing of the plan and that Jongin had agreed to go with her. She was surprised by how good the plan was and quickly messaged back in agreement. She would be grateful to have Jongin with her. He had become a great source of comfort and strength since they met and being dance partners, there was already a strong trust built between them. Yixing was still worried about meeting Kris’ fiancé, worried that she would be inadequate in comparison. She was becoming paranoid that Kris would change his mind and realise that she isn’t worth the effort and that he would be better off with the other girl. Just when she couldn’t feel any lower she felt her phone vibrate. She unlocked it and saw that she had received a message from Jongin:

 

From: The dancing machine

Looks like we’re going on a date! Try not to fall in love with me ;)

 

Her phone buzzed again.

 

From: The dancing machine

That’s probably impossible. I mean look at me. See you tomorrow and try not to worry.

 

Comforted by his words, Yixing tried her best to ignore the feelings of inadequacy and pain that threatened to consume her. She really wished that she didn’t love Kris as much as she did. Nothing good ever seemed to come of it but she knew that she wouldn’t trade the good times that they have shared together for anything in the world. She knew that she just had to be patient and then everything would fall into place. At least that’s what she hoped.

 

Kris finished the preparations for the party and finally managed to lie down to sleep that night. He messaged Yixing:

 

To: My Sweet Baby Xing Xing

Good night baby and sweet dreams. I’ll be thinking about you. I always am xxx

 

He waited and waited and eventually his phone buzzed next to him and he quickly looked at it.

 

To: My Fan Fan ♥

Night Fan, I love you xxx

 

He kissed his phone and turned to finally sleep when he remembered that it was probably a good idea to let his fiancé in on the plan.

 

To: The ball and chain

Just to let you know my girlfriend will be coming to the party tomorrow. She wants to meet you so she knows that there isn’t anything between us. It won’t be a problem but I just wanted to give you a heads up.

 

A few minutes later he received a response.

 

To: Wu Yi Fan

That’s not a problem. I can understand her worry but if it will put her mind at ease then I’m happy to help.

 

With that said, Kris’ mind felt at ease and he could finally get some much needed sleep. He hoped that everything would run smoothly tomorrow but the feeling in the pit of his stomach made him think otherwise. The cold look in Yixing’s eyes had been bugging him since this morning. He couldn’t bear to see her look at him like that again and that he would do anything to prevent that from happening again. The words she said were the lullaby that coaxed him to a restless sleep “You’ve already made up your mind. What do you want from me?” 

 

______________________________________________

A/N

 

So this chapter is set on kaisoo day and the party will be held on Jongin's birthday. I had hoped to publish Jongin's birthday chapter but I don't think that will be possible. I hope this chapter for is enough for belated kaisoo day. 

 

Once again,

Take care and keep loving kaisoo~~~

kaisoonoodle