Chapter 8: Why can’t things be like this all the time?

A delicate situation

 

 

 

“Stop staring!” Yixing giggled pushing her boyfriends arm. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m not looking at you. I’m staring at the wall behind you” Kris teased. “Oh yeah because the wall is more interesting” Yixing retorted, rolling her eyes. “Oh Xing Xing, are you trying to say that there is no way that there is no way that the wall could be more interesting than you?” Kris said seductively leaning towards his girlfriend, making her feel embarrassed “Because that’s true” he stated and proceeded to envelope his girlfriend in a bear hug. He silently admired how beautifully they fit together, the height difference between them was perfect for him to bury his face in her neck and inhale her intoxicating scent. Yixing pretended to try to push him off her but secretly enjoyed the intimate moment they were sharing. She hadn’t been able to see him in days and was starting to miss him too much, more than she was comfortable with. So when he invited her to his house for the night watching a movie, she could barely contain her excitement. How had he become so important to her that even a few days away from him were complete torture? She never knew that she could spend so much time thinking about one thing or in this case person? “He’s worth it though” she thought as she leaned up and kissed him dearly on the lips.

 

“I have to go. My parents will get suspicious if I don’t leave now” Yixing confessed after an intense cuddling session, the movie completely ignored. “I thought you said that they were out of town?” Kris said as he looked at her in confusion. Yixing clammed up, annoyed at herself for having slipped up. “Th- th- they are! But I video chat with them every day so they’ll notice if I’m not in my room.” She silently patted herself on the back for the decent cover up but still felt guilty for lying. “Ace! We should message them together then. I’ve missed talking to your dad and besides I want to apologise for our break up and assure them that it won’t EVER happen again.” Yixing looked at the sincerity and devotion in her boyfriends eyes and wanted to cave right then but she knew better. “Maybe next time Fan. They wouldn’t like it if I’m here late with you in your house all alone. Besides I already said I was at a friend’s house. They’ll know I lied. Please understand.” Looking dejected he responded “I guess…that makes sense. Next time.” Then a smile crept back onto his face, “Now where were we?” He grabbed her again and planted kisses on her face lovingly and she whined “I have to gooooo. Stooooop!” But he had no intention of stopping “Five more minutes” Kris said, pouting cutely, a move he learned from Jongin. He knew that he kept his best friend around for a reason. 

 

Kris woke up the following morning, alone. He sighed annoyed that he couldn’t convince Xing to stay the night; she was becoming immune to his charms. “I need to rectify this situation” he thought before she could completely resist his flirtations and he could kiss goodbye to the little y time he was currently getting. He rolled out of bed and washed up. As he descended the staircase, his butler/personal assistance/driver/confidant Luhan glared at him. Kris looked back at him not understanding what he had done wrong so early in the morning to warrant “the look”. “It’s 10:30am young master. You know I have to report this to your Father. Please stop giving him reasons to yell at you.” He paused, taking in Kris’ dishevelled look and thought this child is going to become the future CEO of the infamous Wu Empire. “What will you do if he actually gives the company to your cousin Tao? That blood thirsty cold hearted brat!” Kris sighed before defending himself “Luhan please, I had a long day yesterday and I really needed a late morning. Can’t you cut me some slack? Didn’t I do well yesterday?” Luhan nodded slowly “Yes young master, you were impressive. Please keep it up and then your Father won’t be able to complain. One more thing….I was told by the staff as they left that Miss Yixing dropped by yesterday.” Kris tensed and responded coldly “That is none of your business Luhan and I hope you will stay out of my private affairs in the future.” Luhan nodded hesitantly “Of course young master.” He said while bowing, a sign that he had acquiesced.

 

Luhan took a deep breath and continued “Your Father wanted me to tell you that he would like you to personally invite your fiancé to the company’s anniversary party. He also wants you to be her for the night and entertain her as the host.” Kris looked at him shocked, never had they had to attend any public functions as a couple before, especially such a big event like the company’s anniversary. This was a desperate attempt from his Father to pin him down, Kris was sure. He simply nodded wordlessly and made his way to the kitchen “Just some advice Kris, please think about what you are doing. Please think about Yixing and the decision you will have to make. She could get hurt if you aren’t careful. And she isn’t the only one, remember that you also hold the lives of thousands of employees in the palm of your hands. I want you to find happiness but sometimes there are things that are far greater than us.” With that said Kris walked out of the lobby, shoulders hung low, considering the wise words of his trusted advisor.

 

After the conversation with Luhan, Kris had a pounding headache, thoughts swirling in his mind about the about the upcoming party and what he would tell Yixing. Kris had learned his lesson from when they had broken up the last time, never again would he hide anything from her. He never wanted to lose her.

 

He was pulled out of his thoughts by his employee asking him about the direction of the project. He realised that he hadn’t been pay attention at all during the meeting. As he exited the room feeling slightly embarrassed by his lack of professionalism, he moved onto the next meeting hoping his day would improve and he would get some motivation to work. He had no such luck. In the late afternoon he was sat in his office waiting for the next meeting, glad he could finally take a break from the madness that was his life. He was throwing paper balls into the bin, enjoying the little basketball practice he was getting. Kris couldn’t remember the last time he had been on the court and he missed the rush of playing with his friends in Shanghai, Yixing cheering him on from the stands. Simpler times he thought, smiling as images of his girlfriend flashed through his mind. His phone suddenly vibrated and he picked it up looking at the caller ID, “Xing!” he shouted excitedly and answered the phone. But he was shocked to hear an angry Jongin shouting at him. As he processed what his best friend was saying, he felt overcome with guilt. He was so focused on Xing and work that he had been ignoring Jongin. He also still felt terrible about what his old man had said about Jongin’s family and he worried about what his Father would do if he found out that they were still hanging out.

 

Kris tried to lighten the situation by scolding Jongin but he could hear the hurt in his best friend’s voice, something that only Kris could hear because they had known each other for so long. Kris knew Jongin was missing him and it hurt his heart. He could hear Jongin screaming when Xing started chasing him down the hallway and he chuckled, thinking there was no way Jongin could outrun her. Xing had really strong leg muscles, which as her boyfriend Kris enjoyed to the fullest. When he realised he was being ignored he hung up the phone. The sound of Jongin’s voice continuing to haunt him and he thought “Screw it!”. He wouldn’t stay away from his friend out of fear of what his Father would do. Kris leaped out of his chair and walked out of his office. He turned to his PA and said “Cancel the rest of my appointments for the day. I have more important things to do.” His PA looked at him in shock but nodded slowly knowing that Kris would never cancel a meeting unless it was truly important. Kris grabbed his bag and exited the office, bowing at his workers as he made his escape.

 

Kris immediately rang his driver and instructed him to pick him up on his “baby” and no this time he didn’t mean Yixing. Kris was referring to his one of a kind Kawasaki Ninja made especially for him. He knew that Jongin loved the bike and would love to be able to ride it. As his driver approached, they swapped places and Kris handed the driver money to get a taxi back. He instructed the driver to tell Luhan that he wasn’t sure what time he would be back. He picked up Jongin and they cruised for a few hours. As they rested on a Cliffside, Jongin suddenly asked about his relationship with Xing. Taken aback, Kris answered honestly, he wasn’t ready to tell his friend that he had travelled all the way to Korea just to be with her but it was getting harder to lie to him about everything. Feeling burdened by the weight of all of his problems, Kris revealed that he had a fiancé. The look that Jongin gave him was expected and he anticipated another lecture about being selfish and letting Xing go. He started trying to convince Jongin of his intentions and of how much he cared for his girlfriend. After confessing his love for Xing, Kris could recognise understanding in his best friends face and relaxed. He knew that above anyone else, Jongin would be there for him and assure him that everything would work out. He suggested that Jongin stay with him for the night as Kris didn’t realise just how much he needed his best friend at this moment.

 

As they entered the house, Luhan welcomed them both with a bow and smiled at Jongin. They had only met a few times but they had become friends very quickly, both from humble backgrounds with bright personalities there was no way they wouldn’t be friends. Kris would never admit it but he was jealous of the interactions between the pair feeling as though he was missing out on all of the fun because he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. “Luhan we are going to play games and watch some movies. Why don’t you join us?” Jongin was clearly excited as he shouted “IT’S A BROMBER PARTY ERS!!!!” Luhan chuckled lightly looking at the two friends, he sensed that they needed some bonding time together “As exciting as that offer is guys, I need to run some errands, maybe another time” and with that he turned and left. Kris shrugged and guided Jongin to his room.

 

The room was huge but bare. It seemed like a room belonging to someone much older than Kris. No more posters of his favourite basketball players, vinyl records or his Marvel hero’s collection. Jongin was surprised but thought it was best not to comment. Jongin loaded up the game when his phone buzzed, Kris picked it up and read the ID, he smirked and tossed the phone to his friend. Jongin read the message smiling and typed a quick response, placing the phone in his pocket. “So how are things going with Squishy Soo? Am I ever going to meet her?” Kris asked. Jongin reddened at the question and started fiddling with the controller in his hand “Fine thanks” he responded. “Aaaand? You haven’t told me anything about her bro. Only that the first date went well.” Jongin hesitated but then blurted out “OK fine! You know the way you talked about Yixing?” Kris nodded. “Well, I think…that I might feel the same way about my Squishy. I don’t know why but she just makes everything better. She adds colour to my life and even my dancing has improved because she makes me so happy.”

 

Kris couldn’t believe that Jongin was capable of such powerful feelings. He loved his best friend but he was quite shallow and never really committed to anything except dance. But here he was in love with a girl. He smiled ruffling Jongin’s hair and said “Then treat her well. Hold on to her Jong. It’s rare to find a girl that will make you feel like that. She sounds like a keeper. But I still need to meet her before I can give you both my blessing.” “Oh thanks Mum! As if I need your blessing?” Kris laughed at his friends sass and continued to probe “Soooo have you guys gone all the way?” Jongin tensed and looked at Kris with a serious expression “It’s not like that with her. I know what we used to be like in the past but I don’t want to be that guy anymore. I just want to be with her.” Kris was so proud of his friend and couldn’t resist putting him in another headlock “I’m proud of you Kkamjong. You’re finally growing up. You can love something more than dogs and food!!!” Jongin smiled bashfully, enjoying the feeling of Kris being proud of him. 

 

As they finished playing, they lay on Kris’ bed trying to sleep but they were both too hopped up on sugar for even the sandman to take them to dreamland. “When are you coming back to school? It’s not the same without you. And I’ve made some friends that I want you to meet.” Kris looked from the ceiling to his friends face in the dark, “I’ll come back starting next week. I’ll convince my Father. I’ll just remind him that it would look bad if I don’t graduate high school. He’s all about keeping face so he won’t be able to argue. Besides most of the details for the project have been sorted out so there shouldn’t be any problems with me going back.” Kris smiled reassuringly at his friend who nodded and continued to stare at him in awe.

 

Jongin couldn’t understand how Kris was so good at running a company. “He must be born for it” he thought because things like this couldn’t just be taught. Kris had such an air of confidence that you were always sure things would work out because he was taking care of it. If only Jongin knew, Kris wasn’t always that self assured, especially now. Kris closed his eyes content with his life at this moment and asked himself “Why can’t things be like this all the time?” and the answer was always the same “My Father”.