Bobby/B.I - When You Didn't Need Me

When Life Happens

Prior to meeting up with his Illionaire mentors to record his track for the finale, Bobby seeks out Hanbin for validation. (Set during Show Me The Money season 3/Mix & Match)


 

“Hanbin,” Bobby called out, jogging down the hall, “you got a minute?”

Hanbin stopped and turned, leaning against the wall as he watched Bobby approach. “Aren't you supposed to be meeting with Dok2 sunbae?” he asked, knowing he probably sounded a little irritated (and he was, but that wasn't Bobby's fault) and hoping Bobby wouldn't pick up on it.

“Yeah he'll be here in ten,” Bobby stated, shoving a pair of headphones at his best friend. “Mind listening to this?”

Hanbin hesitated for a moment, jealousy rearing its ugly head for the shortest of seconds. He was content to blame it on lack of sleep for now, because that was easier than admitting the reality of his feelings. “What is it?”

Bobby wore an exasperated look as he shook his head, as though he thought Hanbin was being dense on purpose (which, to be fair, he was). “My track for the show. We're doing the proper vocal recording today but I did my own this morning, wanted to make sure it sounded good before showing the hyungs.” Bobby stood with the still offered headphones, starting to wonder now why Hanbin wasn't simply taking them and listening.

Hanbin frowned. “I'm sure it's good, Jiwon, you don't need me to listen to it. Dok2 is more than capable of telling you if your rap needs improvement.” He knew he wasn't being fair, but he couldn't help it at the moment. It was tough watching Bobby head off to work with the Illionaire guys, while Hanbin had to stay behind and work by himself. Even though he was happy to have the added stress of SMTM removed from his life (kind of, because he honestly still kind of missed it), what he desperately missed most was working with Tablo in his studio.

A lightning-quick look of hurt crossed Bobby's face before vanishing beneath a cocky grin. “My rap does not need improvement; I know it's good on this track.” Bobby stated, all false bravado.

They were at an impasse, Bobby not able to admit how badly he wanted (needed) Hanbin to give his track a quick listen before he left to meet his mentors, and Hanbin not able to see past his own hurt feelings to realize how nervous Bobby was about the music. So they stared at each other for another few seconds before Bobby recovered first.

“All right well, I guess if you're busy I'll just get out of your hair.” He shot Hanbin a cheeky grin before reaching out to ruffle a hand through his hair, trying to act natural in the situation, not wanting Hanbin to notice that he was actually kind of upset. If Hanbin was in a bad mood, the last thing Bobby wanted to do was give him something to feel guilty about later.

Hanbin reached out to slap Bobby's hand away, wanting to feel annoyed but instead just feeling guilty. “Go on, don't wanna make you late.” he said without humour, feeling terrible all over again when Bobby frowned.

“I'm going, you grumpy little baby. Don't work too hard today while I'm gone,” Bobby said with a wink, still trying for some semblance of normalcy in the face of Hanbin's attitude. Without giving him a chance to reply, Bobby moved past Hanbin down the hall, making for the elevator. Hanbin watched him go with a sinking feeling in his stomach.

“Hyung, wait.” he called out before chasing him down the hall. Hanbin reached into the pocket where Bobby kept his phone and felt the jumbled mess of headphones there where they'd been shoved, pulling them out and starting to untangle them.

Bobby watched him for a moment before pulling the phone out and queueing up the song, still a touch apprehensive for Hanbin's moody behaviour. Hanbin slipped the headphones in his ears before making eye contact, and Bobby held his breath and pressed play. He knew the song was good, but he was still nervous and seeking Hanbin's validation.

Within seconds Hanbin was bouncing, head nodding side to side, eyes closed and focused on Bobby's rap. It was exactly the reaction Bobby was looking for and he let out the breath he'd been holding, his lips pulling up in a fond smile as he watched Hanbin.

After a minute, during the chorus, Hanbin met Bobby's gaze and matched his fond expression, grateful at the moment that things with Bobby were always this easy. He'd still offer an apology anyway, but he knew it wasn't necessary. He shot Bobby a quick thumbs up in approval, grinning when he could see how happy it made him. Two minutes later he pulled the headphones out, whistling in appreciation. “Did you write those lyrics by yourself? Those were tight.” Hanbin , but his impressed smile told Bobby all he needed to know.

“Certain to piss some people off, no?” Bobby grinned back, carefully winding the headphones up before storing them with his phone.

Hanbin laughed and nodded his agreement. “Yeah, maybe if you're lucky someone will write you a reply diss.” Moments later he was grabbing Bobby's hands, holding them tightly in his own. “Sorry for being an idiot before.”

Bobby grinned and waved it off. “Apology accepted,” he said with a laugh, before his own fingers tightened around Hanbin's and he stared him right in the eyes. “You know, just because I have the Illionaire hyungs listening to my stuff, it doesn't mean I don't still value your opinion.” Hanbin's opinion would always be the one he valued most.

Hanbin couldn't hold the eye contact, though, and looked away with a slight flush on his cheeks. Bobby trying to make emotional. “Yeah well, that's good, because I am still your leader, after all.”

Bobby laughed before pulling Hanbin in for a hug. “Yeah you are,” he said, voice deep with affection. “It would feel weird if I let someone else listen to my track before you.” He rubbed his cheek against Hanbin's hair, amused when he felt him squirm.

“Don't you have a Hummer to catch or something?” Hanbin asked, struggling against Bobby (only pretend struggling, of course, he really just used it as an excuse to nuzzle his face into Bobby's neck).

Bobby tightened his arms around Hanbin for a few seconds, grateful for Hanbin's quick recovery time, before finally pulling away. “Ah, you're right, I should get going. Thanks for listening, though.”

Hanbin met Bobby's eyes with a happy smile, pleased with himself for breaking through the jealous constraints of earlier. He really just needed to start sleeping again, that would cure all of his emotional hangups, he was certain. For now, though, he'd just revel in gratitude for the gift that was Kim Jiwon. He watched as Bobby stood and waited for the elevators, and it wasn't until the doors opened that Hanbin called out again.

“Hyung?” Bobby's head popped out from inside the elevator, curious eyes on Hanbin. “You can win with that song.”

“You think so?” Bobby asked, and if he sounded way more vulnerable than usual, neither of them would acknowledge that.

Hanbin nodded. “Yeah, I do. It's really good, they gave you a really great beat and your lyrics match it perfectly.” They stared at each other for a few seconds before Bobby finally smiled. Hanbin grinned back at him. “Go kill your recording.”

“I will! Try not to kill anyone while I'm gone.” Bobby teased back, happy when Hanbin shook his head and narrowed his eyes in irritation.

“See you tonight, hyung.” Hanbin called out before turning his back and heading for the studio.

Bobby slid back into the elevator and felt calmer than he had all week. If Hanbin believed he could win, then Bobby believed it too.