In an Expression of the Inexpressible

Red String

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWffzU4FW1A


"Keep your eyes closed."

"Sungjae, your humongous hand is covering my eyes. Even if I did open them I wouldn't be able to see anything."

Before we met, Sungjae had told me that he'd prepared a surprise. I waited at our rendezvous to be surprised by a hand covering my face. Of course, I didn't react in the nicest way but eventually, we both calmed down and he began to lead me somewhere, with his hand still over my face.

"We're almost there." My heart beat like a fluttering butterfly. How curious I was!

"Just make sure I don't trip over anything." A snort was heard.

"And, there! You can open your eyes now." A weight was lifted off my eyes as he moved his hand away. Slowly, I opened my eyes. Having had them closed for so long, my eyesight was blurry, and all I could see were lights. Lights everywhere. My eyes focused, and a nicely prepared table setting with lights and flowers surrounding it.

"Wow, that's pretty."

"Now at this point, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or sincere anymore. Which is it?" A joking tone was heard. I gave a small laugh.

"I'm being sincere. Did you do all this?"

"No, I actually made a dozen children my slaves just to do this for me."

"Ha ha very funny. It really is very nice though." He gave me his signature smile. He reached out a hand.

"Shall we?" Instead of taking it, I walked up to the table and sat down on one of the seats. After giving a look of ambivalence for a moment he laughed it off and walked towards me to sit in the seat across from me. "Wow, nice one."

"Thank you, thank you. So what's on today's menu?" He handed me a dish. 

"Well, I was originally going to prepare steak but the problem is, I'm still a college student so that exceeds the amount of money I can use on food so how does Mexican food sound instead?" I laughed.

"Not bad. I've seen worse." His string radiated the same sheepish glow it gave when we first met. We began to eat, with small talk and small laughter being shared and quickly we finished eating. Suddenly he stood up, and he took something out of his pocket. Oh no. He came to face me, then kneeled down on one knee. I looked at him, perpetuated. The inevitable had come.

"Eunji, we've known each other for not a very long time now actually, but we've gone on enough dates for me to be sure about this." He opened the small box to reveal a ring. "Will you become my girlfriend?" I know my immediate answer should've been 'yes'. I know I should've jumped up, covering my mouth and tearing up. Because I like Sungjae. But I didn't. I didn't, because my heart was beating so fast with such intensity that my chest was hurting and my mind was swirling. I couldn't imagine what my eyes were showing when I looked at him with as much intensity, when I stood up and apologized, when I walked away wiping my tears away. I didn't, because when I looked at his cut string, it glowed such a bright red, a shade that I've never seen before, and it floated, as if in fact it was connected to another string.  As if he was fated to another. I couldn't take that away from him. So even though my heart hurt when I said no, even though my legs screamed to turn around, even though I wanted to say yes, I it all up and went on my way home until I was stopped. I was flung around to face Sungjae. "Look. I don't know why you said no. I also don't know why sometimes you freeze up during our dates. There are so many things I still don't know about you. But these are all things that I want to know. I want to know you better, so I can be a better friend. And I want you to know me better, so we can bond. You said no, but I refuse to accept that as an answer. If you need more time, then so be it. I can give you more time. But one thing I know I can't do is let you go." My glossy eyes looked for an answer in his, and after I found it, I desperately wanted to say yes. I so desperately wanted to cling to him, to be selfish and make him mine. But in the back of my mind, I knew I couldn't, so I pushed him away and continued my way. Behind a yell was heard. "No matter how long you take, I'll always be waiting." I wiped my tears.

I'll always be waiting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


a/n

AHHAHA WASSUP DOUBLE UPDATE AGAIN 

You know I actually kinda like this chapter. It really gave me a good idea on how to connect to my next chapter and eventually the end. 

By the way, I don't know if you've noticed this yet but every character mentioned in this story represents a member from both BTOB and Apink. Tell me if you think you've figured out which person is which member. :3

-K.o