Ring Around the Finger

Red String

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZYd7aRGFsE


Loud music resonated in my ears as sweaty bodies crashed into me. Flashing lights from all angles hurt my eyes, but I was glad because I couldn't tell the difference between the lights and the strings. That's a lie. My conscience spoke.

I made my way through the sweaty people, walking into the more secluded hallways with private rooms. Not meaning to stalk, I looked into one of the windows in the doors. A man, obviously married, surrounded by 2 scantily dressed young women, one on each side. My eyes strayed away from the strings of the females, and instead focused on that of the man with the ring. Beside his finger with the ring indicating his marriage did once take place was a thin string, loosely hanging off his finger, on the verge of falling. It's light flickered, the glow on it barely gleaming. I followed the trail it created with my eyes and wasn't surprised to find a big, bright, angry, tight knot. A deep sigh fell out of my mouth, and I turned, continuing down the long hall. Behind me, a deep, far away voice spoke.

"Well hello young miss, can I help you?" I turned around to find a reasonably sized man cornering a smaller girl. He had a smile, but the latter didn't. They both didn't notice me.

"No, no I'm ok I was just-"

"Come on, we're all here to have fun, aren't we? So let's have some fun." His eyes grew manic as did his smile. I watched his hand grab her wrist quite tightly. My eyes trailed up her wrist and rested on a ring. A ring around her finger. My heels clicked as I walked.

"There you are, I've been looking all over for you! Come on, we're late!" The attention was on me. The man, bewildered, and the girl catching on.

"Oh no! I'm so sorry! I must've lost track of time!" His grip loosened, she pulled her arm away as she bowed. "I'd love to have fun but it looks like I'm busy tonight. I'm sorry!" Before his string could function what was happening, I quickly dragged the poor girl away into safety. We stood in silence for a moment, making sure we weren't being followed. She then turned towards me and bowed once more. "Thank you."

"It's no problem, really. Did you come alone?" I glanced at her string.

"No, I was supposed to meet my boyfriend here." It was my turn to be bewildered. Why meet here of all places? "He works here as a part-time job." Ah. Soon enough, a boy with a hearty smile both in the lips and his eyes came forth, with a similar ring around his finger. I glanced at his string. Oh no.

"You're a new couple, I presume?" The girl blushed and the boy smiled proudly. "I see. Have a good date, and stay safe." I gave them a kind smile and allowed them to leave. As soon as they were out of my line of sight, my smile dropped. They had different strings. I crouched down, covering my eyes, and let out a shaky breath. Oh how this cruel world had cursed me with this ring around the finger. I lifted my head and looked at my own hand. A deep breath was drawn as my chest burned, and I turned around the face the wall I was leaning against. I glared at it with the uttermost hate, and threw a fist against it. I hit it, I kicked it, banged it until I could do nothing but drop my head against it and sob.

I had no string to show, and I hated it. I had no fate, and I hated it. I liked Sungjae, and I hated it.

What's a ring around the finger if it means nothing?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


a/n

I feel like I say this every chapter but this was harder to write :/

You know, building up a lot of stress at once can do so much to one person.

-K.o