Shortages

Legend

 

The library was unusually loud as I logged into a school computer. I sighed, everything was lagging. I quickly glanced around; Hapz and Abigail went out to get food, and Nick was once again at the pool. Abina was in the math office tutoring, and everyone else was here. I wish I could find something like that. Something that could take up my time and I wouldn’t have to constantly watch my back. Wish things would change. The screen was still loading; arghhhhhhh!!!

The library was huge, and beautifully open. It was completely filled with books but very organized. The only place that was slightly messy was the ‘stacks’, all historical evidence could be found there, but then again no one entered. It was locked. Only one student had the key, and no one knew who she was. I wanted the library to be empty so I could go and sit there for today, but instead I sat out in the study area, where it should have been quiet and unfortunately was not.

“Is this seat taken?”

“No,” I replied without looking up; all the computers were surrounded by cubbies, and it was two people per cubby. The seat next to mine was open, and I never talked to anyone anyways, so it wouldn’t be a problem.

“You should at least look at the person you’re speaking to,” he replied.

“I don’t need to, with that arrogance, I l ready know who decided to grace me with his presence.”

“Do you now?”

“Of course, Lee Taemin, you seem to be the one person whose taken notice of me outside my friends.”I glared at him, wanting him to walking away and mind his own business.

He didn’t do either, instead he plopped himself down next to me and logged in, then turned to face me.

“You’re pretty interesting, one of the few who stays behind the crowd. Very observant, but not very acknowledging,” he commented.

“I didn’t know, you knew such big words, for a kingka you’re not all that stupid.”

I continued tapping away; I needed to figure out that IP address. I logged into the chat forum and then, searched the history. Tuesday the 25th. Tuesday the 25th. Eh? What time was it...2am. I quickly browsed through.

“Beep.”

“Hey, what was that?,” he asked trying to take a look. I moved away and turned my monitor screen away.

“Sorry, totally forgot to turn the sound off. So sorry I bother you from your hard work.” . Password, and a 30 second entry time.

“Your sarcasm really has an edge huh?” I quickly took out my phone and texted Arya.

“Yep, and it’ll stay that way till you leave.”

“Why so cold? I’m freezing just by your words,” he teased. I looked up at him. He grinned.

“Doot.” She replied. Oh thank god, she had the password. I quickly typed it in. Safe.

“Good. Maybe if you turn into ice, there’ll be less noise and less people in the library.” He looked around.

“Wow, no wonder you’re annoyed. This place is crowded.” He whistled. Scroll, scroll, scroll aha!

“Oh you realize do you? Then you’ll also realize that half the people in her are here because of you, and if you leave, they leave. If they leave I’m happy; so would you kindly leave?”

What did I learn over the summer? Ah- Every device connected to the public Internet is assigned a unique number known as an Internet Protocol (IP) address. IP addresses consist of four numbers separated by periods (also called a 'dotted-quad') and look something like 127.0.0.1. Since these numbers are usually assigned to internet service providers within region-based blocks, an IP address can often be used to identify the region or country from which a computer is connecting to the Internet. An IP address can sometimes be used to show the user's general location.

 And the General location is my tip off.

“Nope.” I glared at him. He stared back, before grinning, and rummaging into his bag.

“Why?”

“Want a pocky?” He completely ignored my question. “I’ve got the strawberry, you’ll like it.” He offered me one. I shook my head, and he shrugged and bit into it.

“Why are you here?”

“Why am I where?” I removed my hands from the keyboard afraid I’d break it.

“Here, as in sitting next to me, and not moving?” That took him a moment of thinking, and he turned to face his own computer.

I refocused my attention onto my computer. I looked to the top of the chat, there we go. IP found. I quickly copy and pasted it into my e-mail and hit send, I’d be able to check it out at home…no I’d be able to check it at the café.

“I know something that you don’t.” I glanced back at him, he was now tapping away on his own computer.

I didn’t bother to dignify that with a comment. Tonight I’d stop by at the café and log into my MAC. From there I could find the location of the person and where he or she was e-mailing me from and then I’d find them. I was so excited by that, I didn’t notice my screen flickering.

If I had, I wouldn’t be as shocked when my computer locked down. But, it wasn’t just my computer, the entire libraries. I spun around, everyone was screaming; blackout. There was static coming from the intercom, it wasn’t working. I could hear the teachers trying to calm everything down. My phone buzzed.

Hey, u ok? Pools been closed. Some power shortage or smthin, im comin 2 the library. Wait there, I got hapz n Abigail, wait for us.

It was Nick. I quickly started to pack my things, I glanced over to the window, still snowing. I quickly plugged into my mp3, and replied.

I’m fine, thanks, did you guys eat yet?

“So utterly calm, and not at all terrified. Who’d you text, someone important to have texted you the second the power was cut.”

Oh yea, Taemin was still here, he leaned back into his chair and stared at me.

“Friends, you seem to have a lot, go find them.”

“Nah, I like sitting here with you- don’t you want to know what was behind what I said before?”

Such a confusing sentence, yet I understand what he meant. “Nope, I don’t care. You can go back to your group of giggles over there,” I pointed to the group of popular girls and guys in the center of the room, the reason for all the noise, “while I wait for mine to show up.”

“Nope.”

“Why?”

“Because they just locked the doors. The school under lock down.”

Ari, so sorry, we’re in the English teaching lounge right across from the pool hall, they’ve stopped everyone form walking around in the school. Hapz n Abigail are here, they say they bought yu an egg bun and abinas wither tutoring group upstairs so its all good. I spoke to the teach and he says itll be in lock down for quite a bit, someone apparently got into the system and shut it all down. Till its up n running, we cant do anything. EAT yur lunch and jst stay safe.

“Is it that Nickhun guy again?” he was standing behind me reading my text.

“Mmm, not that it’s any of your business.” I re-read the text. Someone apparently got into the system.

That meant that the school computers were shut down, but the wifi could still be running. I beeped out of my inbox, and checked my phone signal status. No signal.

But the wifi should still be running. Yes.

I opened up the school website, but I needed the hard drive.

“I’ll help you, what are you doing?”

“Help me split the desk, and pull out the wires.”

“Okay.” He didn’t ask any questions after that. That was new. We grabbed the ends of the desk, and pulled them apart, crouching down I could see the jumble of wires.

“Please hold onto my phone, and shine the light directly towards the wires.” He nodded, and we climbed under the desk. The teachers had moved everyone into the other part of the library, and set up flashlights.

 I quickly shifted through the wire, to find the green double cord that connected the CPU to the monitor. Pulling it out, “Taemin-ssi, can you please take phone charger out of my bag?” He did so, after removing everything, and handed it to me.

I struggled to connect my phone to the CPU. It was so frustrating.

“Here, let me do it.” He grabbed my hands and stilled them, then reached for the wires and connected them with a click. I looked at him surprised. “May I?” he pointed to my phone. I nodded.

And we were in. Using my phone as a monitor, we were quickly scanning all the computers to get into the main which was in the office. I stared at him, slightly surprised he knew what he was doing.

“Can we please have Ms. Jeonseoul come to the office?”

Intercom was working. The whispers began. There were no Jeonseouls at this school, I glanced down, my phone. I couldn’t leave it.

“I need to go to the bathroom, and I don’t trust my phone with you”

“That was for you wasn’t it” He looked at me, while his fingers swiftly removed the wires to my phone.

“What was?”

“The intercom.”

“You think so? Nope, my last name is Ayuzawa, they asked for a Jeoseoul. Don’t make assumptions with such a serious face.” I grabbed my phone, and turned to the right where my bag was emptied out, only to see Taemin putting everything back in.

“Thank you.”

“No prob, here.” I looked up, he smiled. Kinda cute.

“One more time, can Ms. Jeonseoul please come to the office. Ms Jeonseoul.” Intercom again.

I smiled, and left. The teacher at the door, let me out, and I subtly made my way to the office. Great.

I knocked on the glass door then entered without invitation.

“We wouldn’t have called you here Legend, unless we absolutely needed you.”

“I know, but you do realize, the school finding out can compromise everything for me.”

“We apologize, but no one could fix this. We need you.”

“I’ll work it.” And I sat down on the main computer.

 

 

YAY! ANOTHER ONE DONE :D 

@MblaqloverNZ- Thank you!!!! I'll update as soon as I can 

<3