Exclusivity

Legend

 

Pausing to take a breath, I stood at the cross walk waiting for it to change. I had run the block from my condo to my bus stop at the major intersection. I wasn’t very surprised that I made it in time, but it’s been a very long time since I ran. Still had the touch.

I climbed onto the already overcrowded bus, and dropped my ticket. Squeezing into the safety zone behind the white line, I reached for the hanging bar above my head, just as the bus jerked forward. I caught it and held firmly as everyone tilted backwards like dominoes stepping on toes. I watched out of the corner of my eye, facing the window; I wasn’t the only person who managed to stay on ground. The guy next to me had as well. Surprised that he didn’t fake a trip to cop a feel on the chick next to him – whom I knew from school, string guys around like puppets was her specialty; I looked at his face only to see him staring down at me. I took a quick look – clear brown eyes, no contacts, and went back to staring out the window. He wasn’t someone I cared about, though it’d be difficult to forget him.

 The school’s kingka; but he seemed different, more cold, but that didn’t stop him from being warm, happy and seem like an oblivious play boy at the academy. He was suave and strong faced. Still feeling his stare, I refused to turn around and so much as glance at his face.

Two Blocks.

We were in front of the gates to the community. Now, all we had to do was pass the huge condo building and go down the side of the immensely large hill. I turned my music up. I doubted, I could survive without my mp3. Everything immediately shut out, and the sound of Karl Wolf’s soothing voice gravitated through my ears.

The academy was really in the middle of nowhere; with cliffs behind it, and a large forest on either side. It would make more sense to say we were in the middle of a forest. It was a beautiful neighbourhood though, close knit and safe.

A block away.

I couldn’t help but chuckle as the atmosphere changed. Everyone braced themselves as we got closer and closer to our destination. The second, we would stop, everyone would run out. I had no worry; I would e the first one off and the first to disappear. I was standing right next to the front door, behind the white line. The atmosphere tensed and the bus driver pulled the bus to a halt and slowly opened the door. Then the onslaught; I quickly got off, but I felt someone grab my elbow.

I jerked my arm away and without looking behind me, walked to the entrance of the school and its large unveiling glass doors.

Stepping through, I glanced around as students mulled around. I took a right and walked toward my locker. Passing my friends standing in the middle of the hallway, not wanting to get bombarded with hugs and kisses just yet, I walked straight for my locker. I swiftly opened my black and silver combination and slung my messenger bag into it and removed my coat and mitts. I pulled my mp3 and my phone out of my jacket pocket and put them into my back pocket.

I turned around to see what time it was, to hear the sound of someone shutting my combination lock to my right.

Without turning in that direction I said: “Morning to you too Nick.”

“You think, I’d let you go without annoying you?” he raised an eyebrow and smiled.

“Ah~ but a girl can wish.”

“Doesn’t mean it’ll happen,” he chuckled and opened my lock again.

“You know, at this rate, we’ll be late for class and I’ll hold it on your head.”

“Ahhh~ you mean you’ll be late. We’ve got history,” he smiled “Chop chop, third floor, see you in class,” and he turned and walked away.

Nick. He had come early, probably for swim team; his hair was still wet. He was crazy, but fun and unbelievably annoying. He was a good friend. I placed my books into my bag and slung it across my shoulder and took my phone out. I glanced back at the school clock behind me.

“Ten minutes.”

I made a full turn; “Hey, how was your Christmas?”

Instantly I was bombarded with hugs. “Kyaaaa~ you idiot!!! We missed you!” “How was your vacation?” “Mine was great! Columbia...” “The sun, the beach, tanning...wish I was still there” “Omygawd you won’t believe it, there was this unbelievably hot guy I met” “A summer fling, how cute” And conversation ensued.

“Hey !” I glanced up to see Hapz and Abigail walk down the stairs.

“You , how dare you completely ignore me! Two week vacation – my .” Abigail knocked my head as Hapz continued her monologues. I smiled. With those to, I could figure anything out, happy, we fell into an easy conversation. Everyone glad it had snowed. I looked around furtively, feeling someone staring at me. A sixth sense. My locker surrounded by my friends, a good way to continue my year. I saw nick above the stairs waving and smiled, as the group broke off to get to their classes. Schedules were all different and we bid each other good bye and made plans for lunch. I walked slightly behind Abina, Joy and Janine as we made our way to History. I continued flicking through my phone, which had been clutched in my hand while talking to everyone.

The 1st bell rang signalling the five minutes we had before class began. Standing in front of the third floor history class, I had enough time.

Standing to the side, I quickly logged into the school wifi and then checked my e-mail.

The text had said I could find them using the previous e-mails I had kept. Thank god for Arya. Internet chat rooms were a great help. All I need was to find the chat room and the person I talked to. Then I needed an IP address and I could pinpoint exactly where the e-mails were being sent from. I opened up the chat forum where I got my first e-mail and quickly bookmarked the link.

“Tsk tsk tsk, cutting it close isn’t we?”

I snapped my phone into its security lock and spun around simultaneously.

“NICK!”

He was laughing uncontrollably. “You should’ve seen your face! Priceless! –hic – should’ve taken a picture”

I pushed him and walked into class taking my usual seat in the back corner just as the bell rang; Nick, still standing outside.

“Looks like you’re late Nick,” I nudged him as he sat next to me.

“Of course he’s late,” replied Abina front in front of me. “He’s too slow to do anything.” She winked and turned around to pay attention to the teacher. I chuckled as his face went red and began to take notes as the teacher began his lecture on America’s relationships with other countries, and its identity as a capitalist government.

A knock on the door.

I looked up from my notes. My writing was small, slightly cursive and very messy. As long as I could read it though, it didn’t matter.

The teacher walked to the door and opened it. He stepped in.

Of course, Kingkas can be late no problem, I glanced at him from my corner of the room only to find him looking back at me. I stared at my notes again. From behind him, she stepped in as well. I went back to writing as the teacher continued his lesson without so much a reprimanding to the students. One sat in his chair in the opposite back corner all suave, while the other vying for his attention in her seat next to him. Queenka – my ; she was self proclaimed.

“ – it was a loop. The 9/11 incident was like an intended warning to America for the way it treated foreign agents. Similarly, in WWII, when Einstein sent his knowledge to aid in stopping Germany, America used it against Japan for Pearl Harbour, no matter how many times Einstein and other scientist explained the disastrous implication of what would happen due to the usage of such a device –“

“Mr. Chen?” came a clear voice from the intercom.

“Yes?”

“You have an important call from your wife on line 307.”

“Thank you, I’ll be right there.” The intercom buzzed with static and shut off. He turned to the class: “Page 367, questions 1-5, must be done by the time I’m back,” he fixed us with a stern look and left. A moment of silence passed, before the majority of the class walked over to the opposite corner of the room where the two ‘rulers’ of the school were seated.

“Four days, and he’s already the king,” muttered Sean, while sitting apposite Abina.

“He is undeniably hot and all the confidence even though he’s a transfer student is refreshing, considering everyone in this school are arrogant s.”

“There’s a difference between being confident and arrogant?” asked Nick bewildered. “All guys who are confident are arrogant.”

“No. This one has confidence and I think he has a right to be confident, but guys like Sean here – ”

“Hey!” Sean yelled indignantly.

“ – think they’re all that, even though they’re not.” Abina continued as if no one interrupted her.

“Ah...I still think he’s arrogant,” stated Nick.

“We’ve never spoken to him, who knows?” replied Abina. “What about you Ari? Think you’ll say yes to him if he asks?”

“Eh?” I looked up to see Nick, Abina and Sean looking at me. “Heh- nah, I’ve got my hands full already.”

“Ah well,” interrupted Sean “Speaking of this, did you guys hear the newest story?”

“Don't know how we got there Sean, but no; what is it?” asked Abina.

“It’s – “

“They say they’ve found out more about her,” explained Joy.

I glanced up again from my text book. “Who?”

“Who else? Legend.” Joy exclaimed with conviction.

“Oh get over it, if she’s really here, we would’ve found her already,” scoffed Nick.

“No. She’s here. If rumours and stories are still being passed around, can only mean she’s still here. If she wasn’t the story would’ve died out.”

My hand gripped the underside of the table, I felt someone staring at me again. I glanced around, and no one. I really didn’t want to have this conversation right now, I glanced back at my text and started answering question three.

“She’s too exclusive, no one will find her, just give up. She’s too –”  Nick stopped.

“Perfect? I know,” Ruri walked over. The queenka had arrived.

I hate being noticed, it ruined everything. I kept my eyes down and continued to answer the question. My pen gliding across the paper.

“No you’re not.” Nick stated coldly “Legend is though.”

“Isn’t it every queenka’s aspiration to be like Legend? Exclusivity really is the best no?”

“The day you become exclusive is the day pigs fly. You get around faster than the flu,” snorted Abina.

“Ah, but the title of queenka is exclusive enough. Who knows? Legend might be closer than you think” I clutched my pen tighter and continued writing. “ – and she might come out of hiding and when she does I’ll give up my position to be friends with her.”

“That’s the reason, Legend won’t reveal herself, with you constantly vying for her attention, I think she just might want to –” he paused “Transfer” Nick replied calmly playing with his pen.

Last Question.

“You guys, should watch your back,” she glared at everyone not noticing me and when back to her seat with her cronies. Paranoia will be the death of me.

Done.

I slumped onto my desk. My head felt nice on the cool surface. I’ll never be able to get through a school day at this rate. No one needs to know of Legend, after all no one’s perfect, so she can’t be, why try looking for her?

My ear bud was pulled out. I opened my eyes to see them staring at me.

“Yes?”

“You hate trouble don’t you?” said Abina “Wish I could go by unnoticed like you,” she flicked her hair.

“Darling, going unnoticed isn’t your thing,” I replied winking.

“Of course not,” she grinned “I need drama and Legend’s topic always brings me some.”

“Okay Class.”

Everyone returned to their seat now that the teacher had come back.

“I have great news. I’m going to be a dad!” Cheers and catcalls went through the room. Mr. Chen grinned, and his youthful face came through.

“So,” he continued “starting tomorrow this class will become study hall. You will still have to come to class in order to get your credit, but it won’t be a History class. However, as 30% of your grade, at the end of semester I would like essays on identity as I explained today about America and its connections.”

The class moaned; I just stared. He was planning something.

“Please put your answers of question 1-5 on my desk. You are dismissed.”

I looked at the clock, as chaos ensued. Five minutes till actual dismissal time. He was losing his touch. I got out of my seat and walked up to his desk. I placed my paper down and spoke.

“Sir, are you serious about that assignment?” I asked amidst the chaos as answers were traded behind me.

“It’s a good way to identify yourself and enforce what you find. Ari, it may be time for you to let it out.”

The bell rang.

“No it’s not the right time. I’ll know when it is.”

I am Legend. And I was not ready to tell anyone.