I don't know

Legend

 

Classes continued even though the teachers were flitting about talking to the hall monitors.

Classes may have begun but was any learning taking place? Hell no. What was taking place though was a rumor-fest that any paparazzi would die for.

Albert Einstein once said: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.”

I absolutely agree, there are no bounds to stupidity.

The day continued erratically. In every class, teachers interrogated the students, and it wasn’t just the students at the library at that time, it was everyone. They selectively chose students and took them out of the room to speak. Made notes and then brought them back and pulled another out.

All the teachers didn’t bother interviewing me, it wasn’t like they’d be able to get anything out of me anyways. Plus, what could I tell them? Hell, like I would tell them anything and they knew that. So…

…instead of the teachers interviewing me, the principal did.

I was still getting a better deal, 4 interviews to one.

Sitting in the principals suitor seat, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be – considering  I didn’t sit in it every time I went. Just the first – and back then I was in trouble, having laughed in Civics class with Abina, Abigail and Hapz, and getting sent to the principals for ‘disrupting’ the class order, where as the rest of the students were playing soccer – no disruption there.

“Hello Ari.”

“Good afternoon, sir. You wanted to see me?”

“Errr…yes, I understand that the smoke bomb incident has nothing concerning you, however I was wondering if you would know why the perpetrator was targeting Abina?”

I thought about it for a second.

“Abina and Ruri have a lot of problems that are not in my way of saying. If you are wondering, you should ask them. Second hand is not the best way to solve the problem,” I said pointedly.

“I understand. But Ari, we need inside information to figure out why this school is being targeted, and these events are too coincidental to coincide in one week. I need to know what is going on between my students to understand the problem.”

I sat back in my chair. “Have you wondered that these problems are from external sources, people not involved with the actual problem, why not look at bystanders? They’re as much at fault as the one who causes the problems, in doing so you can find a slip up. However, selling my friends is not something I plan to do.”

He nodded, “That is very smart, and I understand what you are saying, but I implore you. You realize that Ruri’s father is head of the school board and this school is for her, so she doesn’t end up spoiled in a private school – “

I made a face and he must have noticed because he sighed and continued:

“ – yes, I know it hasn’t worked, but they are trying. We need to help in that. She will grow up to take over the educational system and –“

“Not intending to be disrespectful sir, but what does this have to do with me? I will not second handedly give you any information that could be wrong nor will I sell out friends, if there is anything else you need me for?”

“I need you to figure out what is happening and who exactly infiltrated our system that day. The police have the two men in custody but they are no way, shape or form affiliated with the school.”

“Excuse me?”

“However, you are not to do this alone –“ He continued as if he didn’t hear me.

I stood up. “Why the hell not?”

“This job may lead to a risk which we cannot take with you, therefore you will be working with another student who will also be inconspicuous.”

“What makes you think I’ll agree? This concerns the school’s inadequacy for its safety. Get the police to look into it LEGALLY. Why risk 2 students to procure information illegally? Hell – I’m in grade 10, I’m 15 years old, what possible help could I be?” This was maddening.

He was silent for a moment after my outburst. Must not have been expecting that. Stuuuupid.

“Your hacking abilities are one of the greatest I’ve ever seen, perhaps even surpassing your father, who was a cracker – ”

“I’m sorry, I refuse, it would be ignorant of me to agree to something like this which puts me at risk, the school’s safety is not my concern nor is it my problem.”

I was crossing the line of disrespect, but at this point I couldn’t bring myself to care.

“I do not know who my partner will be, but I can guarantee that I will not casually agree to work with someone who may or may not be of any help. I don’t trust people easily and I will not start now. I found the two hacks in the system, because they were incompetent, not because I was any good. I sent the information to the police and I only helped because it was an emergency, but I refuse to risk everything for a case that the police can handle.” I finished firmly.

He pinched the bridge of his nose once I was done, but I was adamant.

“Okay,” he smiled weakly, “I understand, you may return to class now.”

He agreed, I could afford to be generous now, “I’m sorry sir, thank you.”

I left quickly, but look around at all the hallways, they were strangely empty. I looked at the clock across the hall.

3:00 pm.

No point in going to class now, I’ll just go home. School would end in 15 minutes anyways.

I walked to my locker and put in my combination, grabbing my math textbook and history notes. I slipped them into my bag and took out my wallet. I had only one picture of my parents and that too from years ago. It was black and white.

I the slit beneath the picture and grabbed a ticket before walking out of school, only to stop short under the shelter. It was pouring outside.

“Arghhhhhhhh.” I groaned the minus side of having a cardigan without a hood. I stayed in the shade, hoping the rain would let out, and may have stayed there for two minutes max, when someone bumped his shoulder with mine and walked out pushing me into the rain as he did so. I turned back; everyone had become to come out.

I waited a minute, maybe less? And walked a meter behind him sticking to my regular pace; however he did not stick to his.

He slowed down till he was walking next to me side by side; he kept my pace and didn’t talk. We just walked. (AN: Ja’an) Every few minutes he would glance over, but I couldn’t look him in the eye. There was the occasional brushing of shoulders but other than that, we didn’t speak or look at each other.

The bus came faster and I immediately went to the back, but there were no seats, so we stood near the back door, the bus quickly filling, and people were pushing against each other. Taemin leaned over me, pressing me in the back door, and I struggled not to feel claustrophobic. He leaned back a bit to give me space, and I was soon comfortable.

It stank, and I struggled to breathe through the humid air. I was begging to get dizzy and every time the bus moved, I felt as if I was being jolted.

(AN: Ja’an) I grabbed onto the pole next to me, and I think that alerted Taemin that something was wrong, because he casually caught my shoulder as if to steady me, and I leaned against the door and a little on him until it was my stop, quietly saying thank you before getting off.

My head hurt so much.

I quickly got to the elevator and opened my door, locking it behind me before getting to my room.

I could just sleep this headache off; after all, so much had happened it was a miracle that the headache hadn’t start earlier.

I put my phone on loud before changing into whatever and slipping into bed. I wanted to sleep and it felt like I was. That feeling of calmness, where your mind is blank, but your eyes are wide open? I hate it, I wanted to go to sleep, but all the same, I couldn’t stop thinking about all that happened.

Too much information. Too many problems.

Everything I did till now had been prioritized and done to find my parents, and now the little world I lived in was breaking apart.

It was too much, and here I was, lying in bed.

I got up and walked to my drawer in the corner of my room and took out my iron pills and some Tylenol. I rummaged my kitchen until I found some coke which I downed with the pills. The fizzle of the coke hit the back of my throat, successfully waking me up, so at the very least I was coherent enough to finish my homework.

History being the only thing that was major, but it was due later, by the end of the term, I had more than enough time. I started studying for physics.

Keeping my marks up this year would be more difficult with all that happened. I needed to be able to concentrate, I was glad that I had reviewed this before so all I needed to do was review the Electricity unit tomorrow with Nick during lunch, and we’d be ready for the test the period after.

Who would the principal have assigned as my partner if I had said yes?

Life just got so much more complex.

Thinking back to the morning, who the heck would be able to keep up with what I do?

Why would I trust someone with my life’s work?

My parents were and probably are the most important piece of my life that is missing. However, I would not be this independent if they had been in with me.

I thought back to what the principal had said:

“…perhaps even surpassing your father, who was a cracker –”

A cracker.

My skills were inherent?

I’ve seen the destruction crackers have left, after all, one must be an exceptional hacker to do the work of a cracker.

KNOCK KNOCK.

I got up to look through the peephole to see a thoroughly drenched Taemin.

I quickly ushered him in, locking my door behind him and ran to the washroom to get a towel. I brought it back to him and watched him tousle his hair with it.

He had taken his shoes and socks off, rolling up the hem of his jeans as he padded around barefoot on my carpet. I could get him dry clothes later.

“What are you doing here?”

He moved towards the table between the couches and put down an equally wet, giant shopping bag.

“You looked sick on the bus and judging by what you’re wearing, I’m guessing you are?”

I looked down to see what I had put on. It was an oversized hoody, sweats and bright yellow socks my darling friend in America bought me.

“It’s just a headache.”

“And I also thought and knew that you wouldn’t take care of yourself so I came to see and out your health as a top priority on your illogical list.”He smiled.

“Why thank you mother, but won’t you get sick in those wet clothes?” I replied sweetly.

“No problem sweet heart, and not really, unless you want me to strip?” he glanced at me coyly, his smile teasing.

“I have men clothing.”There, said that quite bluntly.

“What?! Why?!” That wiped the smirk right off his face.

I shrugged. “It’s comfortable.”

“Oh, I see…may I have it?”

“I’ll bring it right out.” I went to my room and straight to the dresser, opening the bottom drawer and pulled out a long sleeved shirt and a pair of sweats for him, before padding back down the hall towards him.

“Here you go, take the towel with you, bathrooms on the right. I’ve unlocked it, have a shower if you’d like and errrr…yea.” This was awkward.

He chuckled before grinning and said “I bought tea-leaves so if you’d like, help yourself to whatever’s in the bag.”

I nodded and turned towards the kitchen when I heard him say a quiet “Thank you.”

It was heavily loaded. It was not just the clothing and letting him use the shower. It was for letting him in when he knew all instinct of mine was to kick him out.

“You’re welcome.”
I busied myself making tea as I heard the shower start running and I rummaged through the bag he brought.

Instant noodles.

Chocolate bars.

Instant soup.

Cough Syrup.

Canned Peaches.

Cold medicine.

Tylenol. Cough Drops. Halls.

I think he picked up anything that was on sale. There was fresh fruit and cookies. All this stuff would fill up my empty fridge and knowing Taemin, he probably made sure of it that way.

Hell – in that one shopping bag, we even go waffles, pancake mix, eggs, butter and maple syrup and mmmmm…strawberries.

Taemin would probably be hungry if he got out of the shower. I could either do instant noodles or pancakes. I’d rather do pancakes.

What would he like?

I think he would like pancakes, he was eating pocky the first time I met him, he must really like that stuff seeing as I now had 3 giant boxes of strawberry pocky in the cupboard.

Yummy…soft…pancakes.

Okay, pancakes it is.

I put on an apron and set about opening the mix after having put everything away in the fridge, cupboards and fruit on the dining table. I added the eggs and milk and was soon whisking away.

I could also make chocolate sauce for the pancakes. But I always eat my pancakes with strawberries. Strawberries in them or on them, it didn’t matter. I put the whisking bowl down and grabbed a handful of strawberries which I began washing and chopping right away.

The tea was now simmering down and I started cooking the batter making 4 regular pancakes before adding strawberries to the batter of which I made 6. I was just flipping the last pancake onto the plate when I heard his voice.

“You’re very cute, all domesticated, working hard.” I could tell he was smiling.

I kept my back to him as I began to set the table with the plates, pancakes, butter and maple syrup. I went back into the kitchen and poured the tea into mugs thankfully having bought an extra a week or two prior.

“Really?” I replied, trying and perhaps failing to act indifferent. I could feel my face tinge red. “Exactly how long have you been standing there?”

He grinned as I brought the tea to the table and set it down as he moved behind me.

Wiping my hands on my apron, I turned around.

“A while.”

I was face to face with him standing right in front of me.

“Actually,” He continued. “Long enough for me to notice exactly what you looked like to me. Care for me to tell you?” Interesting choice of words. ‘Care for me’

“No, not particularly.” I tried moving away.

He leaned forward putting his hands – one of which held his wringed out clothing – on the table either side of my waist completely barricading me.

I tensed as he moved his head closer, “Well, I’d like to tell you.”

I stood stoically, as his lips lightly touched my ear as he said: “You looked like a girlfriend making dinner for her boy friend. You looked like a wife making dinner for her husband.”

He practically purred the last three words in my ear.

I trembled as I pushed him away.

“You’re getting ahead of yourself. We are just friends – barely that.”

“Weren’t you thinking about what I would like while making these delicious looking pancakes?”

“No,” I lied.

He smiled and I took his wet clothing out of his handing, and moved away to put it in the dryer locking my bathroom on the way to the storage room where it was. I went back to the table only to see Taemin still standing, leaning against the wall.

“Hey, just wondering where are your parents? Shouldn’t they be home by now?”

I shrugged. He wasn’t being very perceptive. Maybe he was doing this on purpose.

“Hey, C’mon, answer my question.” He grabbed my arm as I made to sit down, and I was soon standing before him again.

“Shouldn’t your parents be home by now?”

I looked at the clock.

11:09 pm.

What was I to say? No?

Looking at the clock, I said: “I don’t know.”

“Where are they?”

Looking him in the eye, truthfully I said: “I don’t know.”

Check it!!! TWO UPDATES IN ONE DAY :)

Thank you for reading and please subscribe !!!

<3