Nine

And Another Cinderella Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Jina’s walking to school, with jolly music running through her headphones and the weather just at a perfect 75 degrees, she basks in how perfect her day is (or maybe her joy from yesterday night is still there). She’s been jittery the entire morning, and all she can think about is the next time she can repeat the same pleasure over again with Jungkook.

 

While she’s joyously strolling to class, a scream is audible enough through her headphones, and Jina jolts her head to other way, “Hey Jina! Over here!”

 

Jungkook’s waving at her with all the strength in his left arm, and Jina makes out that he’s surrounded by a group of his guy friends. Normally, the typical Kyunghan girl would faint on the spot had she known she was invited to sit with them, but Jina was unfazed by it. From her limited social knowledge, the most she knew about these boys was that Namjoon’s a rapper and star student. Other than that, she didn’t even know the rest of their names.

 

“Hey,” Jina throws her bag on top of the table and takes a seat next to Jungkook. She gives them all a subtle smile.

 

“Jina, meet my friends. “ Jungkook says and gestures all of them to say their names. They go down the row, and Jina makes a mental note to remember it all--it’s 6 different ones, which is hard for even scholarly Jina to memorize. “I told them about what happened. That you’re Star.”

 

“Oh,” Jina says and isn’t disappointed at all. “That’s totally fine.”

 

“Not that we want to single out our guy, but,” Jimin starts, “all this kid has been talking about is yesterday night.”

 

Jungkook thumps him on his head, “Jesus, is it your job to humiliate me?”

 

Jina sees the small interaction and gives a light chuckle, completely masking the fact that she’s internally squealing.

 

“That wasn’t necessary,” Namjoon says and gives Jimin the side eye. “Anyways, have you guys heard about the upcoming school mixer?” He unfolds the purple-colored flyer and throws it on the table.

 

“How many events can this school have?” Hoseok scoffs, and they concurrently agree. “They get our tuition money, and now they milk all our talents to have a concert every other week."

 

Jina coughs. “Actually, it’s not really for the purpose of entertainment, but a grade for the singing department. Best performance--”

 

“Gets an A in the class,” Jungkook finishes.

 

“Finishing each other’s sentences, are we?” Hoseok snickers, and Jimin laughs along.

 

“Whatever,” Jungkook rolls his eyes. “Talking about that, I need to get caught up on that soon. The song, the setup… the list goes on.”

 

“Bro, all you have to do is put a mic to your mouth and open it.” Hoseok says.

 

“I’m sure there’s a lot more than that.” Namjoon replies back. “What are your choices right now--the song, I mean?”

 

“I wanted to do a cover of my favorite song." Jungkook answers. "It's called Moonlight, if anyone's ever heard of it."

 

Jina's cheeks burn up immediately. Was she dreaming? Granted, she had already published it on the Internet for the whole world to see her song, but with Jungkook singing her original to the whole school was just on a different scale.

 

“I’ve rewritten parts of it to be a duet,” Jungkook eyes his friends first, “the other part from the perspective of a woman. But who could ever fill in that space?"

 

“Oh?” Jina hasn’t quite caught on yet, “I’m sure you’ll find a girl in your class that would want to sing with you! Honestly, you could have it at the snap of a finger.”

 

"I don’t think that’s what Jungkook had in mind," Jimin says.

 

“Then what did you have in mind?” The girl said, and there’s a bit of silence in the air. All of the boys are looking at her, eyes wide and rested on top of their folded hands.

 

A lightbulb goes off in Jina's head all of a sudden; Jina finally understands what they’re saying and quickly replies, “Never!”

 

“What?!” All six boys say, and Jina is stunned at their unusually good harmony.

 

“Jina, please. You’re incredible.” Jungkook says first. “I know you’re scared, but that shouldn’t hinder you from showing your voice.”

 

“You can't force me to do this.” Jina scoffs. “I can’t.”

 

“You can!” Jimin says back. “You have a fear; that’s okay to admit.”

 

“We’ll force you to sooner or later,” Hoseok gives her a snarky smile.

 

“Let’s not force her to do anything,” Namjoon assures Jina. “Just think about it, Jina.”

 

“Please.” Jungkook gives the girl a look that is the most peculiar thing ever. Him--Jeon Jungkook, the star himself--pleading Jina to sing with him. “We’ll train, we’ll practice, and we’ll conquer your fear. And we’ll show the school how amazing you are.”

 

“I don’t know… it’s like you’re asking me to jump off a plane--or swim with sharks!”

 

“Damn, Jina. It’s really not that serious.” Hoseok scoffs and giggles, but shuts up immediately when Jungkook slaps him on the chest.

 

“I understand what you’re saying. But Jina,” Jungkook clasps her hand (to which Jina almost jumps at), “I’ll help you. I promise.”

 

Jina doesn’t give a definite yes or no, but nods her head. There was a reason she stood hidden from the public, and instead chose a fake name to go by online. Jina has an incredible fear of going out there and being publicly known. It would mean that she would be susceptible to everyone’s judgements, ideas, and opinions--including the bad.

 

“I’ll think about it.” She says, with the possibility of it lingering in the back of her head.

 

 

After hours of contemplating and Taemi screaming “Do, it!” in Jina’s ear all day, Jina was now running through the campus to tell Jungkook she’s made her decision.

 

All students have just been released from their after-hours seminars, and now Jina is fleeing to the singing departments to find Jungkook. As she’s turning into the classroom, she sees a familiar white-tee-wearing boy right away.

 

“Jungkook!” Jina yelps out through her heavy pants.

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter