One

A Little Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yesung-ssi! Table number 20 needs extra tissue!”

Yesung rushes towards the counter to get extra tissue for the customer. He grabs some and immediately delivers them to the table. He smiles politely as they say their thanks. He goes back to the front door to welcome new customer.

“Good evening, how many person?”

Just like another day, today is also busy day at Moonlight restaurant. The four-stars dine-in restaurant is always crowded because the place is famous since it appears on TV often as business or formal meeting place. Usually, Yesung will complain because too many customers today is an exception because the more customers he serves, the bigger his bonus payment will be. It seems like his boss is feeling good so this morning he announced that each staff will get extra payment if they can serve more than five table. He needs money to buy new shoes since on monday he finally becomes a freshman at one prestigious high school in Seoul. He gets accepted with full scholarship since he was studying his off last year. It was tough since he had to divide his time for work and study but everything has paid off at the end.

“This is your payment for today with bonus. See you next friday, Yesung-ssi!”

“Thank you Mr. Jang!” Yesung smiles brightly and goes to locker staff to change his work suit into his normal clothes.

He is glad that he finally has enough money to buy new shoes. His shoes are too small and already old. He wants to start the new term with fresh feeling so he works hard to earn money to buy shoes and his uniform. He thought the school will give him free uniform since he is the scholarship student but apparently they are too stingy.

He whistles happily as he walks down the alley. Few  blocks later, he reaches his small apartment. The building is old and rusty but the inside is quite comfortable even though it’s small. He takes off his shoes and walks inside.

“Hi Dad, today I got extra money from Mr. Jang. I can finally buy new shoes!”

The smiling man on the photo frame stares back. Yesung smiles sadly as he the photo of his late father. He wishes that his father can stay longer with him but god decides to take him away 5 years ago in car accident. His father always said that he is scared to be left alone but since he has Yesung, he isn’t scared anymore. But his father left him without a warning. Scared is the understatement about what he was feeling back then.

Yesung drops his sling bag on his bed and stares at the night sky through the window. This is the best part of his apartment, even though it is old and small but the view is not so bad. It’s been 5 years since he sees his mother and older brother. He remembers back then his mother still contacts him through email and Skype. The first month was hard for Yesung especially when Kibum refused to chat with him. His father said that Kibum might feel hurt and sad over the fact that he is far apart with him. The second month, finally his older brother sent him some messages even though he still refused to do video chat. His father kept teasing that probably he and Kibum might end up crying instead of talking on Skype. He smiles at the memory of his father. The third month was when everything went downhill. His father got into car accident that killed him because a drunk driver, it took a big toll on Yesung to the point he stopped eating and going to school. To make it worse, his father’s brother came to claim the house and other properties that belong to his father. He can’t contact his mother and brother anymore since his uncle blocks every way to contact them. Yesung prays everyday that his mother and brother will come to rescue him. He was helpless back then and suffered four years of abuse until he had enough and run away from his used to be home. He still feels hurt when he thinks that maybe his mother and brother forget about him. With little money that he used to save from the change when his uncle told him to buy foods, Yesung managed to rent a small apartment in the middle of city. He is glad that he was a scholarship student in middle school so he didn’t have to worry about the tuition. Now after a year of surviving alone, he finally can get another scholarship for high school. He is also grateful that his uncle never tried to find him. He doesn’t want to see him anymore and seems like the feeling is mutual.

Yesung lies on his bed. It’s not as comfortable as the bed in his old house but it’s better than waking up to string of curses and beating from his uncle. He is wondering if his brother still remembers him or not. Yesung may feel hurt and disappointed but he will always love his brother no matter what. Everything has changed but not his love for his brother.

 

**

 

Yesung carefully inspects the shoes on the shelf. He should choose the best and strongest ones so they can last for few years. He doesn’t want to spend his money every year for shoes anyway. They are expensive for people like him. He picks a vintage style converse shoe and turn it around to see better.

“They make a vintage style and it really does look like my old shoes.” Yesung looks down at the shoes that he is wearing right now. They do look vintage since they are dirty and old. He chuckles and places the shoe back on the shelf. He checks every shoes on the shelf and the price tag, sometime he shakes his head when the price is out of his budget.

“Why do they place those blue shoes very high!”

Yesung looks around and spots a small boy crossing his hands on his chest as he huffs in anger. He stares at the grumpy boy and doesn’t realize when they boy stares back at him.

“What are you looking at?!” The small boy snaps, scaring Yesung a little.

“Uh.. sorry. Do you need a help?”

“No! I don’t need it! It’s not my fault that I am short, okay!”

Yesung winces when the small boy snaps again. The boy is sure very feisty for his age. He doesn’t remember being that annoying when he was around his age. He watches as the small boy pouts and somehow his face looks familiar but Yesung can’t pinpoint where he sees that before. He can’t help but chuckle silently when he sees the boy sulking at the corner. He looks up and tiptoes a little to reach the blue shoes at the top of the shelf and places it on the lower part of the shelf.

“I was short too when I was a kid but my brother told me to drink milk everyday.”

They small boy shifts his gaze at Yesung. He narrows his eyes like he is judging him. “My brother also said so but I don’t believe him!”

“If I can get taller, then you too.” With those words Yesung ruffles the small boy’s hair and walks away.

“Such a weird person.” The small boy says as he picks up the blue shoes. A smile is visible on his face.

**

The alarm clock is ringing non stop and Yesung jumps out of his bed when he sees the clock on his table. It’s 7.45 already and the freshman ceremony starts at 8! He is sure that he will be late. It take about thirty minutes with MRT to his school. He is sure that he is doomed. He is a scholarship student for god’s sake!

In a flash Yesung wears his uniform and brush his teeth. He messily put everything inside his sling bag and wears his new shoes in panic. Rushing outside, he is running towards the station to catch the train. Once he gets inside the train, he tries to catch his breath. He keeps checking on his wristwatch. It’s already 8 and Yesung wants to faint on the spot. He just hopes the scholarship student doesn’t need to do anything during freshman ceremony. He leans his back against the pole to support his body. He looks around and his eyes catch someone with same uniform. He is wondering if the person is late too. The boy is wearing earphone and seems like losing himself in music. He is good looking, judging by his side feature. Sharp nose, full lips and pale skin. His mesy brown hair completes his perfect face. Yesung doesn’t realize that he is staring too long at the boy and the next thing he knows

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter