Neverland

Peter Pan

‘Neverland’

Heechul had placed Leeteuk with Donghae, a quiet child who was completely terrified of the outside world. After searching Leeteuk for weapons, Heechul had arrived back in his office and sat behind his large desk.

Park Jungsu, age thirty-three, and works, or rather worked for a small calling center uptown. The man still lived with his mother, and despite the licence, he had a bus pass.

“Sungmin, can you come here a moment?” Heechul called having seen the smaller doctor rushing about outside his door. Sungmin entered the room, his hair out of place, and his clothes wrinkled as if he had slept in them.

“Is he giving you problems again?” Heechul asked. Sungmin growled as he sat down with a huff and crossed his arms.

“One of these days, one of us is going to succumb to either him me or me killing him.” Sungmin growled. Heechul smiled as he handed the ID to the younger.

“Call his mother for me while I gather the papers I made.” Heechul ordered. Sungmin stood and bowed. An hour later, both mother and son entered the office.

“Mrs Park, welcome. My name is Dr. Kim Heechul, I am a neurologist from Seoul and my associates. We are a branch of the hospital who deal with children and adults who suffer from an illness enabling them to be unable to tell reality from fantasy.” Heechul explained. Leeteuk’s mother bowed before sitting down where the dr had indicated before sitting down himself.

“I discovered your son at the abandoned hospital we are trying to revive. There, I noticed his strange behavior.” Heechul said, hurrying to the point of discussion. Mrs Park sighed as she looked down at her lap and held her son’s hand.

“It is my fault, I didn’t protect my son like I should have.” she whispered, ignoring Leeteuk’s sudden shout of rejection.

“How so?” Heechul asked as he leaned forward and readied to write.

“Leeteuk was abused as a child by his father. I divorced him when he was twelve, but Leeteuk had suffered greatly already. He ran to books and his sister for sanctuary while I tried to deal with his father.” she explained.

“His sister, and where is she now?” Heechul asked. Mrs Park bowed her head as Leeteuk sat silently beside her. Heechul sat behind his desk waiting for her to begin.

“Sora was Leeteuk’s older sister. She and he were inseparable and did nothing apart. They spent their evenings at that abandoned hospital playing and telling stories. When Leeteuk was thirteen though, his sister was killed in a bus accident on her way to a school trip. It broke Leeteuk to hear of it, and slowly over his teenage years, he became the man you see. Trapped in a time and place, where there is no death, no fear of the future.” Mrs Park explained. “I miss my daughter greatly, and I know the abuse from his father was not helpful. But, I didn’t think he would get this bad. I am afraid he can no longer decipher reality from fantasy.” Mrs Park cried as Heechul handed her a handkerchief.

“I understand, we will keep him safe here and make sure he gets the treatment he needs with the rest of his fellow residents.” Heechul said as he stood and bowed. Mrs Park nodded as she stood as well.

“Thank you Dr. Heechul, are you sure I can’t pay you for this?” she asked again. Heechul smiled at her and aided her to the door.

“This is a non-profit paid for by the church. This type of mental illness is becoming more widespread and is very expensive. Most second class citizens can’t afford it and living. Let us help as best we can.” Heechul told her.

“Thank you again, I will have his doctor fax over his files.” Mrs Park said with a smile. Leeteuk watched the exchange, his mind quickly forming a scenario far from what was truly happening. To him, this place was Neverland, he and the other lost boys were trapped here though with these pirates. Pirates who tried to make them grow up, pirates Peter Pan had to destroy.