Five

Stay
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyoyeon pulls up at the side of the road. She kills the motor of the car and carefully gets out. The roads and streets are deserted and her only companion is the light from the streetlamps. Lowering her head and stuffing her hands in her pockets, Hyoyeon hurries into the dance studio. She's grateful to see that the security guard was fast asleep on his desk- mouth wide open and snoring, since she didn't want to answer any question about her appearance. Hyoyeon knows the guy who owns the dance studio and he doesn't mind Hyoyeon coming in during the wee hours of the morning. She walks through the hallways just like she had done a thousand times and smiles slightly at the navy blue door. Hyoyeon steps into the room and breathes in the familiar, comforting scent of polished wood. She heads to the stereo and turns on the laptop connected to it, choosing the most upbeat song she could find. Hyoyeon stops at the center and closes her eyes. Breathing in and out slowly, she lets the music take her away. Her feet start moving, followed by arms and then her body. She doesn't open her eyes, not once to check if her moves were sharp and accurate, or if her feet are in sync with the beat. This was Kim Hyoyeon; not Kim Hyoyeon SNSD'S Dancing Queen, but the girl who dreamed of dancing on a stage and to hear the crowd cheer for her as she does what she loves. Hyoyeon feels free. She feels like she's truly herself, because somewhere along the way of fame, she lost a bit of she was before, but don't you have to get lost to find yourself?

Hyoyeon's right leg steps forward and she glides across the floor smoothly. Her arms move naturally to the motion and her body twists in a wave. She doesn't feel like stopping at all; she misses dancing, not the choreographed kind but the ones that comes naturally once the music plays. So, Hyoyeon keeps dancing.

She doesn't know how long she's been at it, but she guesses its way more than an hour. Her skin is slick with sweat and her shirt clings to her body. She shivers slightly in the cold air and sweeps away hair stuck to her face. Her head spins and her eyelids feel heavy. Are the sleeping pills finally doing their job? Hyoyeon stumbles but manages to catch herself. She opens her eyes and nearly jumps at her own reflection. Her face was completely drained of colour, every inch of skin was covered in that salty liquid that it shone under the dim lights of the dance room. The world swims around her and Hyoyeon brings a hand to the bridge of her nose in hopes of easing an impending headache. Her breathing comes out in irregular gasps and she coughs. Her legs suddenly turn to jelly, her entire body weakens and she's seeing double of everything. Her knees give out under her and the last thing Hyoyeon sees is a blurry figure running towards her before her world plunges into darkness.

 

5.30am

Jaewon can hear music. It's soft, but definitely there. Jaewon frowns and follows the music. Who would be at the dance studio at 5am in the morning? Jaewon finds himself peering into the dance studio all the way at the end. He watches, intrigued, as a blonde girl pops and locks and spins like she was born to do it. Sure, Jaewon had seen many great dancers, but this girl was special. He can't pinpoint exactly what made her standout but the way she moves her body was amazing: so effortless yet so powerful. The lighting makes it difficult for him to see the blonde dancer's face but that only captivates him even more. Jaewon stands there for who knows how long watching the blonde girl dance like he was a creep, which he swears he isn't. Suddenly, the girl stops. Jaewon blinks in confusion. Why is she stopping? The girl's chest rises and falls rapidly as she staggers, trying to regain her balance. Jaewon, alarmed, opens the door to the dance room. The girl coughs and then her knees buckle. Instinctively, Jaewon drops his bag and lunges forward to catch the falling girl.

"Easy," he murmurs and wraps one of his arms around the girl's slender shoulder while the other around her waist, resting on the small of her back. He can see her face clearly now and because of that, he almost drops the girl out of shock. The unconscious girl in his arms...was Kim Hyoyeon.

Wow, he was hugging Girls' Generation's dancing queen, Kim Hyoyeon. Imagine how many guys would kill to take my place, Jaewon wonders idly. Jaewon gapes at her for a few seconds before coming back to his senses. He places two fingers at her wrist and feels the steady rhythm of her pulse, thank God. He notices her pale face and the sweat covering her body and touches her forehead. That confirmed his suspicions. Jaewon uses his own towel to wipe off the sweat, and then proceeds to take off his jacket to cover Hyoyeon's body. Jaewon frowns in disapproval of the cold temperature in the room and once again checks her temperature. He could see the way her drenched shirt stuck to Hyoyeon's body and hear her raspy breathing, and hell was she awfully white. Such a high fever definitely needed some proper medical attention. Jaewon pushes away all thoughts of the consequences of his actions as he collects Hyoyeon in his arms and strides out of the dance room. He needs to get the girl to the hospital.

 

Jaewon bursts into the emergency room and looks around. The nurses stare back, not very alarmed at what they were seeing. It wasn't unusual for someone to barge into an emergency room carrying an unconscious person bridal-style.

"Get me a doctor," Jaewon demands and carefully lays Hyoyeon down on one of the beds. When none of the nurses seemed to sense the urgency of the situation, Jaewon sighs in irritation and tries again. "She needs a doctor. She has a high fever," Jaewon says slowly, his eyes focused at the closest nurse icily.

"Um..." The nurse fumbles with her clipboard and makes her way to the desk. "Patient name?"

Jaewon furrows his browns. Was it safe to reveal her real name? But an emergency is an emergency. "Kim Hyoyeon," Jaewon says. The nurse looks at him and surprise and then at the blonde girl on the bed. forms an 'O' as realisation hits her. Immediately, she speed dials and bring the receiver to her ear. Not only did he get that nurse's attention, Jaewon also managed to alert the two other nurses in the emergency room and one of them made her way to Hyoyeon. The nurse takes Hyoyeon's temperature and tuts at the reading.

"39.3," she mutters while shaking her head. "Not good." She removes Jaewon's jacket from Hyoyeon's body and puts at the side. "Minhee," she says to Receiver Nurse. "Call Doctor Oh."

"And sir...?" The nurse looks questioningly at Jaewon. "Are you this lady's friend?"

"I'm her manager," Jaewon replies confidently.

The nurse nods. "Okay, then could you please go over to Nurse Song and fill in the form." Jaewon looks at Hyoyeon one last time and turns around to the direction of the desk. He stops in his tracks and faces the nurses attending to Hyoyeon.

"You will tell me when I can see her right?" Jaewon asks.

"Of course," the nurse gives him a reassuring smile and starts to wheel Hyoyeon's bed away.

 

Jaewon shakes his leg nervously. He shifts uncomfortably in the hard plastic chairs of the waiting room. Please let her be okay, Jaewon finds himself unconsciously pray for Hyoyeon.

"Mr Cho," Receiver Nurse sticks her head out of the room. "Dr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter