One

Stay
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She knows they didn't have the perfect relationship; in fact, it was an extremely flawed one. She can tell by the way he never asks how her day is, how he never laces their fingers together when they hold hands; and he was proving it again by turning up forty-five minutes late for their dinner date. Hyoyeon sighs, trying to convince herself that he was probably really busy.

He has to reply a few dozen more emails.

His potential clients want to ask him a few more questions.

His meeting has been delayed.

None of them sound convincing.

 

When he finally arrives an hour and a half late, he walks in and plops onto the chair without greeting her. His hair is messy, tie uncharacteristically loose around his neck and jacket hung over his right shoulder lazily. Hyoyeon straightens up and smiles, watching him tuck into his food wordlessly.

"Hey," she says. Jay barely glances up.

"Hey."

Silence follows and it isn't the comfortable kind. Hyoyeon bites down on her bottom lip.

"So," she starts, awkwardly twisting her pasta around her fork. "How's work?"

"Busy. Why did you want to see me today?" Jay asks with his mouth full of chicken.

"I..."Hyoyeon trails off. “No reason. I just wanted to see you, since you know...I'm your girlfriend..."

At that, Jay pauses for a moment before gently placing his hand on Hyoyeon's. He gives her a small smile before saying, "I know Hyoyeon. I'm just really busy, okay? I don't have much time to come out and meet you all the time."

Hyoyeon swallows and ignores the pang in her heart. Jay removes his hand from hers and resumes his eating. Hyoyeon takes a deep breath. "Okay. I'm sorry. I understand," she apologies quietly. Jay merely nods. After ten minutes, Jay stands and throws his napkin onto the chair.

"You're leaving? But you just came," Hyoyeon protests. She tries to keep the whine out of her voice knowing how much Jay hates whining.

"Client," he just says, if that counts as an explanation.

"Okay." Hyoyeon could only watch as her boyfriend puts on his jacket and buttons it. "I love you," she adds softly.

"Mmhm," he says and walks out without even a backward glance.

 

Hyoyeo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter