Smoothing out the Edges

I'll be Yours if You'll be Mine

so i lied. well more like my brain thought it could do romance in one chapter. i can't and won't cop out with the character development so expect a few more chapters. i have ideas for this. enjoy. 


Joshua drove home first. He would need the help to haul the two of them in. Jeonghan and Seungcheol didn’t look like they were light at all, and he was only so strong. Opening the gate into his driveway, Jeonghan stirred a little, making Joshua jump in the driver’s seat.

“Do you have any idea what you’re going to do with them hyung? Or how they’re going to react once they wake up?”

“Absolutely none,” Joshua said. “I have no idea what’s going to happen.” He whispered into the wheel as he parked, “I’m ed.”

Minghao interrupted his mini breakdown. “They’re nice. Jeonghan hyung is kind of lazy but he took care of me. Seungcheol hyung was like our leader. Kind of. He taught us things and watched over us.” He paused, “They would fight though. With each other. Sometimes. I think it’s because they argued over how to care for us and who was in charge when the company left us to our own devices.”

“Will they be angry now that they’re bought and not there anymore?” Joshua was truly ed if he had to deal with angry hybrids. They were slightly larger than him in terms of girth even if he had height on them. Not to mention their modified DNA definitely gave them more strength than him.

Shaking his head Minghao said, “No. Despite them caring for us they did wish sometimes that they were bought rather than being pit against each other.” He bit his lip. “They got tired of being in the facility and no one was brave enough to buy them after their fights.”

Joshua hissed. “Hybrid fighting is illegal. I should report those s to shut them down.”

“But then they’ll take Minghao, Jeonghan, and Seungcheol away as evidence,” Mingyu said, eyes wide. “You know they will.”

Gritting his teeth, Joshua wanted to hit something. “You’re right. Stupid legal system.”

“They only ever made Jeonghan and Seungcheol fight. Now that you bought them I don’t think they’ll do it again,” Minghao paused thinking, “the other hybrids didn’t show the same amount of aggression like they did.”

“Maybe something to do with their animal DNA,” Joshua sighed. “I’ll have to take a look at it later myself. If the facility even kept track of their origins.” He got out of the car. “Mingyu help me.”

Mingyu scrambled. “Of course hyung.”

“I can help too,” Minghao offered.

Joshua nodded. “Seungcheol first. He took the greater beating. I’m not surprised though. Jaguars lived in the wild jungle instead of the forests.”

They moved Seungcheol into the house, gently laying him down in one of Joshua’s guest bedrooms. As Joshua laid his head down onto the pillow, the hybrid seemed to nuzzle Joshua’s hand. But it was probably his exhausted mind thinking weird thoughts.

Jeonghan thankfully, was slightly lighter. They did the same, putting him into one of Joshua’s other guest bedrooms. He did something similar to Seungcheol with the nuzzling but he also purred, proving that it wasn’t just Joshua’s imagination.

“Shua hyung,” Mingyu said, a bit weirded out.

“I’m weirded out too Mingyu. It’s probably just the drugs messing with their systems. They don’t even know me to like me.” He stood up. “Let’s get you two home. I need rest too.”

They got back into Joshua’s car. As he drove them to Mingyu’s apartment, Mingyu asked, “What are you going to do with them when you go to work tomorrow?”

“I’ll ask Wonwoo and Jun to come over and help watch them for a few hours,” looking into his rearview mirror, “can you help too? Since Minghao knows them and all. I can’t leave them alone, injured like that.”

Minghao nodded, eager to take care of Jeonghan and Seungcheol. Mingyu seemed a little more ill at ease.

“They won’t be as violent towards each other like when they were fighting right?”

“They aren’t as violent,” Minghao saw Mingyu’s skeptical look, “really. They aren’t. Jeonghan is too lazy normally to fight. And Seungcheol doesn’t bother until Jeonghan gets in his face about something.”

Joshua sighed. “I just hope they won’t come at me tomorrow when they wake up.”

“Call me in the morning hyung. I got you into this mess so I should help at least.”

“Thanks Mingyu,” Joshua said as he pulled up to Mingyu’s apartment complex. “Look no paparazzi. Where are you supposed to be tonight?”

“Milan. Rumors have it I’m in Milan but I’m not,” he said with a toothy grin.

“Get to bed. I’ll call you two tomorrow.” Joshua turned to Minghao, “It was nice meeting you. Even if it was under some weird circumstances. Tell me if Mingyu doesn’t treat you right.”

“Hyung!” Mingyu shouted, clearly offended.

Minghao nodded shyly as Joshua laughed.


Joshua let himself in quietly, trying not to disturb Jeonghan and Seungcheol. Drugged up or not, hybrids had a different sort of metabolism that he’d have to brush up on now that he had two living with him. But then again how long would they stay. They could very well do a runner tomorrow morning when they woke up.

He groaned as he climbed the stairs. Now wasn’t the time to think about that. He had to look at how well the facility bandaged them up and give them new ones.

Stepping into Seungcheol’s room first, the first aid kit he made in hand, he softly yet quickly changed the bandages, nodding in slight approval over the stitch work. The wolf only groaned mildly. Joshua wrapped the last bandage and clipped it in place. Rising to leave he was stopped by Seungcheol holding onto his wrist.

In his haze he whispered, “Please don’t leave me,” before he fell back asleep.

Joshua’s heart stopped. Seungcheol sounded so sad and desperate. How badly was he treated to feel as if he were going to be abandoned? How lonely was he? Gently Joshua caressed his cheek, “I won’t. If you stay, I won’t leave you.” His words seemed to relax the wolf as the crease in his brows unknitted.

Moving away, Joshua went to tend to Jeonghan. The jaguar seemed jumpier, as if he were metabolizing the drug quicker. His eyes fluttered, as if he were going to awaken but he didn’t. Joshua wiped some more antiseptic on Jeonghan’s bite wound, noting that the edges already had the swelling go down, hybrid’s healing really was accelerated.

Wrapping new bandages around sluggishly bleeding wounds, Joshua noticed old wounds that scarred. He pressed his lips together. Hybrid abuse, even in well-known facilities wasn’t new, but to see it first-hand. Some were old wounds that didn’t heal well, most likely from the fights that they made Jeonghan and Seungcheol fight, but others like the row of whip marks. No those were scars weren’t from fights.

He noticed that Seungcheol had some as well. Joshua prayed that from now on they wouldn’t be hurt like they had been before. No one deserved to be hurt like this.

He sighed, closing the kit. Taking off the gloves he threw them in the trash, washing his hands in the bathroom sink as well. Joshua walked over to the bed to make sure Jeonghan was resting. He turned to leave, but he felt a pressure on his fingers. Quickly he turned his head around. Jeonghan’s eyes were open and he was staring at Joshua.

“Where?” He croaked.

“Safe,” Joshua answered.

That seemed to be enough for Jeonghan as he let go of Joshua’s fingers and his eyes slid closed once again.

Joshua walked slowly to his own room, closing the door with a quiet snick. He undressed, leaving the suit in a trail from his door to his bed. Grabbing the tshirt and sweats that he left there this afternoon, he put them on before face planting on his bed. He groaned. One mess dealt with. But so many more things to be done still, with so many questions left unanswered. Like what he was going to do with two hybrids. He rolled over taking the blankets with him. Closing his eyes, he hoped the morning would be much easier.


Waking up Joshua groaned as he heard the birds chirping. Normally he’d be happy and chipper, but after the eventful evening from yesterday he wasn’t feeling perky. Not at all. Now he’d have to deal with semi-injured hybrids who he had no idea what to do with and how’d they react to him buying them. God that sounded wrong. Buying them. He hated that.

Joshua crawled out of bed, walking to his bathroom. Grimacing as he took in the bags under his eyes he started his morning routine. Routines were the best thing to do when the world felt like it was going to collapse. He brushed his teeth, took his shower, found his scrubs for the day.

He quickly checked in on Jeonghan and Seungcheol, finding the both of them still sleeping soundly. Moving into his kitchen, he started breakfast. In this case for three people, two with larger appetites than his most likely.

He fried his bacon, made his eggs, and poured his waffles. He had time. Today’s work shift didn’t start until the late morning. He had plenty of time.

But not before the smell of food woke them up. Joshua yelped as he heard a voice ring out.

“Is that food?”

Joshua looked up to see Jeonghan and his golden spotted tail swishing through the air.

Clearing his throat Joshua responded, “Yes. Here’s a plate and a fork. Eat as much as you want. Then we can talk.”

Jeonghan nodded, eyeing Joshua just a bit suspiciously. He backed away from the kitchen island, moving to the refrigerator. Pouring some more juice into his glass, he added, “There’s water bottles and other drinks in here. For when you get thirsty.”

Jeonghan grunted, shoveling bacon and eggs into his mouth.

Joshua’s eyes caught the glint of light as it bounced off the jaguar’s sharp canines.  He didn’t have time to inspect the two of them; he was too worried about them surviving. But it definitely showed that Jeonghan was more than human. The gold ears, and the swishing tail, the lightly colored black spots dotting his hairline and his skin in patches. Definitely more than human.

He slowed his eating when he saw Joshua stare at him. “What? Something wrong with me?” Now this wasn’t the tone to take with his new master, but Jeonghan wasn’t a shrinking flower hybrid.

Shaking his head, Joshua replied, “No. You’re just,” he paused, biting his lip, “you’re just really handsome.” What was he saying? All hybrids were bred to be good looking.

Jeonghan smiled brightly. Then his eyes took on that look from last night. The one where he looked at Joshua like he was prey. Smirking he put down his fork, “Why thank you. I certainly never heard it said like you did. Surprised but completely genuine,” he said stalking over to Joshua.

Joshua felt the urge to retreat and back away, but he stood his ground. He wouldn’t be scared of Jeonghan like he was last night. He let the jaguar hybrid get close, sniffing the air around Joshua.

Pulling close into his space, Jeonghan said, “You smell nice. Fresh, no cologne or perfume.”

“I can’t. Patients might be allergic. The only products I use is hair gel.” Joshua gripped the edges of his island. Jeonghan was getting too close for comfort.

“Hmm,” he hummed, “I like it.” Swooping in he kissed Joshua’s neck, whispering as he pulled away, “It doesn’t make my nose itch.”

Joshua moved, that kiss surprised the out of him, or well he tried to. Jeonghan moved faster than him, caging him in with his arms. “Now, now master. Let’s not go anywhere. I just want show you my appreciation.”

Blinking rapidly, Joshua’s head spun. What the was Jeonghan thinking? What in the world?

Seungcheol interrupted. “Hey. What do you think you’re doing?” The wolf hybrid growled low in his throat, like he was gearing for a fight.

Smirking at Seungcheol, Jeonghan shot back, “What does it look like?”

“Like you’re trying to get the upper hand,” Seungcheol snapped. He moved closer to them, growling low. “Back off Jeonghan. He’s going to be mine.”

“Really now? I don’t think—“

“No. I don’t think so,” Joshua said in a commanding voice. Leveling a look at Jeonghan he said evenly, “Move. Now.”

Startled Jeonghan let Joshua push his way out of the barricade he made.

Joshua turned to look at the both of them. “Sit,” he said in a voice that brooked no argument.

They sat on the stools.

“One, I didn’t buy you two for or as pets. Two, I’m my own person as you two are your own persons as well. I won’t treat you as pets but as human beings who just had some nice genetic modifications done. I plan to let you guys go to school, get an education and even get you your papers for being free hybrids. And three no fighting each other, physically. I can’t bar verbal fighting but absolutely no physical fighting. And let me reiterate once more. I’m my own person you two do not get a claim on me.” Throwing in one last thing, “And don’t call me master. My name is Joshua. Got it?”

“Wait,” Jeonghan said waving a hand, “if you didn’t buy us for or as pets then why buy us. I remember vaguely hearing that a lot of money was dropped on us before they sedated the out of me.”

Seungcheol nodded, wanting to hear an answer as well.

“I couldn’t watch you two kill each other,” Joshua blushed, he sounded so freaking weird saying this. “It was wrong of them to pit you two against each other and I don’t think I could stomach you two dying. So I made them stop by buying you two.”

“You don’t even know us,” Seungcheol said.

“It was inhumane,” Joshua snapped. “You two aren’t animals. How dare they use hybrids like entertainment? It was wrong, so I made them stop.”

The two of them sat their stunned. They hadn’t heard anyone talk about them as if they actually mattered as people. They were always treated as objects to be sold or looked at.

Joshua looked at the time. “. I have to get ready for work.” He turned his head back to them. “Listen you two aren’t fully healed yet so I called a few friends over to watch over you. Wonwoo will be bringing his hybrid Jun over and Mingyu is bringing Minghao.” Waving to the fridge and the island filled with breakfast, he said, “If you’re hungry free feel to eat what you find as leftovers or cook if you can. If you can’t call for take out.” He laid down quite a few bills. “Here’s some money to pay for it. Phone’s over there. Rest and take it easy. And don’t fight.” With that Joshua ran up the stairs to change and leave.

“He’s something…” Seungcheol said trailing off.

“Yea,” Jeonghan said in agreement, looking up the stairs thoughtfully.

Joshua came down a few minutes later. “Listen. If you plan on doing a runner be careful. Please. You’re still hurt and I’ve heard ugly things about hybrids who do a runner and get caught again. I won’t go looking for you if you do run, but please be careful. Take some clothes and the money. But watch out for the hunters.” With that being said Joshua ran out the door, shouting one last thing, “My friends will have keys to the house so don’t fight them if they come in and you’re still here.”

“He’s too nice,” Jeonghan said, stunned at what their new master just said. “I’m staying,” he said with a smile.

“Because he’s too nice?” Seungcheol said with a scoff.

“No,” Jeonghan snapped at him. “I like the way he smells and the way he wasn’t frightened of me even when I’m clearly strong enough to snap him in half. Not to mention the niceness and his pretty face doesn’t hurt either. I wouldn’t mind having someone like that take care of me.” Jeonghan moved back to his plate to eat again, “So you’re welcome to off if you want. I’ll be enough for him.”

Seungcheol sat there, thinking. Leave or stay. Their master, no Joshua said he wouldn’t mind if they left nor would he look. He seemed genuine in that, sounded genuine as well. Seungcheol detected no lies, as the man’s heartbeat was steady. Jeonghan was staying, another reason to high tail it out of here. But he remembered in his drug induced state someone saying that he wouldn’t leave Seungcheol as long as he stayed. That’d be nice. A permanent home.

Jeonghan noticed the silence and the lack of movement, pausing his eating he asked, “Staying?”

“Staying,” Seungcheol said with a nod.

“Well, let the best hybrid win then,” he said with a smirk, flashing his canines. “No way I’m sharing with you.”

“Bring it,” Seungcheol growled, tail lashing out.