Impulsive Decisions

I'll be Yours if You'll be Mine

 

“Why am I here?” Joshua asked as he walked up the stairs. This house, mansion more like was not a place a doctor like him should be.

“Because you have money and no life outside of your work hyung,” Mingyu said as he ascended the entrance stairs with him.

“And? Doesn’t mean I need to buy hybrids? They aren’t pets Mingyu. They’re just people who’ve had some genetic modifications.” Joshua felt sick. “What some people do to those hybrids who don’t have their freedom is sick and wrong. I can’t believe I’m here.” He turned to go, “I’m leaving.”

Mingyu grabbed onto him, pleading, “Please hyung. Don’t leave me here.”

“You should’ve brought someone else along. You know I don’t condone any of this selling business.” Joshua shook his head.

Whispering to the floor he said, “I need your help. There’s this cat hybrid I want and I found out he’s being sold tonight. I’m worried I don’t have enough money.” He looked up fiercely at Joshua, “Hyung. Please. I can’t leave without Minghao.”

Joshua deflated, Mingyu rarely pleaded so seriously like this. “Mingyu,” he said softly, “if you would’ve told me I would’ve lent you, hell given you the money. You know I have no use for it really.”

“But I know how much you hate this stuff. And I just couldn’t be sure. Bringing you here was the best option. Please hyung. I can’t leave him here.” Mingyu’s eyes started watering.

Sighing Joshua nodded. “You’re lucky I’m so damn rich and I don’t actually have anyone except my family back home to send money too.” Joshua brought up his hand to run it through his hair, stopping only because Mingyu grabbed his hand.

“You have gel in your hair Shua hyung. Don’t mess up my work.”

“Yes yes.” Joshua yanked the hand away from Mingyu, gesturing towards the open double doors, “Let’s go see some people about Minghao shall we?”

Mingyu nodded. “Thank you hyung. I’ll repay you.”

“No need. One less hybrid in this system is enough for me. Come on. Before they sell your beloved Minghao.”

They walked inside to the foyer, greeted by the sight of many other people in black tie clothing mingling.

“When does the auction start? Is it even auction style?” Joshua asked, shaking his head at the waiter who brought champagne over to them.

Mingyu grabbed one and sipped. “The auction is only one part of the event and it’s the second part. The third part is a secret. They didn’t say on the invitation.”

Joshua looked at suspicious, “How did you get an invitation anyhow?”

Blushing Mingyu mumbles into his glass, “I asked Wonwoo hyung. He gets them on occasion since he got Jun hyung.”

Joshua nodded. Ever since Wonwoo came to their weekly dinner in tow with the fox hybrid things changed. Their group of single, bachelor, decently well off men now had a couple. Wonwoo in love was a sight to see. And Jun was a good influence on him.

“That makes sense,” he sipped at the bottle of mineral water, “even if Wonwoo hasn’t told us how he came into possession of Jun.”

“Yea, all Wonwoo hyung has told us is that they’re working on getting Jun his degree,” Mingyu said. “He likes working at the café though. Gives him something to do when he’s not studying and Wonwoo hyung’s working.”

“The café is a nice place. Especially considering all the money we all put into it to make it.” Joshua looked at the man who stood on the dais, “Looks like it’s starting. Minghao better be here Mingyu.”

“He is. I know it.”

“Time to actually use my savings then.” Joshua had only ever used a huge chunk when he bought the house he currently lived in, and when they pooled together money for their café. Otherwise he was simply too busy to even use the money he earned from being one of the best cardiac surgeons in the country. Sometimes he wondered if he should go back to LA, to the quiet of the beaches and perhaps the ease of a private practice than hospitals.

He shook his head. Now wasn’t the time to be thinking about leaving.

“Welcome! We shall now start the showing. Please take a seat inside the ballroom and we shall proceed.”

As everyone shuffled into the ballroom they were all handed a paddle with a number on it.

“Typical auction style I guess,” Joshua murmured as he sat down next to Mingyu. “Am I waving my number in the air or are you?”

“Me,” Mingyu replied. “I just need to know how much you have. In case I run out of my own money…” he said trailing off.

Rubbing at his face, Joshua blushed.  “Several millions of won Mingyu,” he said quietly. “Enough to probably buy all the hybrids here and then some.”

Mingyu’s face brightened. “Not losing Minghao then. Thanks hyung,” he wrapped one arm around Joshua squeezing him affectionately, “this means a lot to me.”

“I can tell. Now what does Minghao look like so I can be sure you don’t lose him.”

“Tall. Skinny. Leopard. From China. I think they’ll tell us all of this. But he has the nicest honey colored fur hyung and its super soft and— “

Joshua shushed him. “They’re starting.”

The host’s voice rang out. “And here are the available hybrids.”

 They started out small. The more domestic animals were paraded about. Pictures of their human form were shown. The fact that the hybrids were forced to be shown in their animal form, in leashes, was disgusting. Treating other beings like that was abhorrent. The sooner they won the auction for Minghao the better.

Mingyu patted Joshua’s leg in excitement as a honey colored, spotted leopard came onto the stage. The picture of his human form popped up on the screen, showing a tall, thin sort of young man, a cute face. His eyes flickered in recognition as he saw Mingyu.

“Looks like he knows you’re here for him,” Joshua whispered behind his paddle.

“He didn’t believe me when I said I’d come for him,” Mingyu whispered back. “We have to win.”

“Don’t worry. I have plenty of money. Thank the director for working me to the bone and for me not having a life outside you guys yea?” He gave Mingyu a look, “It’s not like you’re poor either Mr. Model hotshot.”

“I know,” he said squirming, “but I needed to be sure. And you’re the one who’s loaded out of all of us.”

Joshua snorted. “I got it.”

He settled back into his seat as the parade of hybrids continued, each hybrid after Minghao of the more dangerous side of the animal kingdom. Lions, tigers, horned animals. His mouth twisted into something ugly. This was seriously getting to him. Then for some reason the host hushed the whispering amongst the guests.

“This next one is a trouble maker. Jaguar. Older than what we normally have. But still just as handsome as the next hybrid. Jeonghan,” he breathed into the mic.

This time there were three assistants rather than the customary one, bringing a large golden jaguar onto the stage. He roared. Clearly this whole thing made him angry. Several guests inched back into their chairs as the jaguar growled at them.

Joshua agreed that the jaguar was certainly breathtaking, and powerful but to cage such a wild thing. He pulled against the chains that held him, making the assistants strain to hold him back. Joshua watched as the jaguar turned its large head, seemingly in his direction. He stared down at Joshua, as if he was sizing up his opponent and Joshua was prey. Shivering Joshua looked away as they brought him back off stage.

“You ok hyung? Is it getting to be too much for you?”

“No. I’m all right Mingyu. Just cold.” And shaken to the core by the way the jaguar looked at him.

“This last one is another stubborn one. Perfect for those who want to discipline their hybrids,” he said with a wink that made Joshua’s blood curdle with loathing. “Seungcheol, while not as exotic as Jeonghan is just as powerful. If not more strong.”

Yet another hybrid that required three assistants. A wolf. Large and growing at the audience as well. The wolf howled, causing the other hybrids off stage to answer him in their own calls.

A leader? Mostly likely the deacto leader of this hybrid selling company. They pulled the wolf, showing his powerful legs and his well-groomed fur. The assistants started to drag the wolf off the stage as he snapped at the closest audience member, who let out a yelp.

Joshua gave a small snort of laughter. The person came here to buy a hybrid without knowing the dangers of the ones who had the wild animal dna running through them. How stupid. His snort seemed to catch the attention of the wolf as he turned his snout slightly to eye Joshua.

Joshua glared back. He would not be intimidated like he was with the jaguar. He refused. The wolf kept staring at him until they pulled him off stage. While he hoped all the hybrids would be going to good homes or managed to escape, he didn’t think the person who got the jaguar and wolf hybrid would fare well. Joshua wished luck to those who bought the last two hybrids. If they weren’t killed they’d certainly be mauled.

“Let the auction begin,” the host said, smile wide on his face.


The two of them sat there waiting for Minghao to take the stage. They had seen cat hybrids, domestic dogs ones, sheep ones, one cow hybrid, several rodent ones, a few foxes pass through. When the host announced the wild animal hybrids both Mingyu and Joshua sat up. Minghao would finally show up.

Mingyu sat on the chairs edge with each successive wild animal hybrid that wasn’t Minghao. But once Minghao was announced he didn’t relax. He tensed even more, number ready.

“Let’s start the bidding at 100,000 won shall we. For such a lovely leopard hybrid.”

Mingyu’s hand shot up immediately.

“And we have 100,000 from a very tall gentleman. Do I have 150,000?”

Someone else’s hand shot up outbidding Mingyu.

“150000 won! Shall we go higher? Do I have any takers for 200,000 won?”

Again Mingyu’s hand shot up. But as soon as the bid was confirmed the host upped the price with another bidder holding up their number. This went on a few turns until Joshua tired of the back to back volley of bids.

He eyed the other bidder who was competing with them. He snorted as he recognized who it was. A resident at his hospital. One from a rich background if he remembered correctly. Joshua didn’t have time to train residents, that’s what his coworker was for. Seokmin was the Chief of Residents and he told Joshua everything. He knew that the young man was on a short leash.

Leaning over to Mingyu he said, “Throw out 1 million won. That kid who’s fighting us doesn’t have the funds for this. Most likely using mommy and daddy’s money to try and buy a hybrid.”

Mingyu looked at Joshua and nodded, the relief clear in his eyes. Holding up his paddle Mingyu shouted, “1 million won!”

“Oh! I have 1 million won! Going once! Going twice! Number 256 not interested anymore!” The host shouted. The resident shook his head, gritting his teeth. Joshua smirked behind his hand. “Going once! Going twice! Sold to number 1107! Please come and pay to collect your hybrid after the event!”

Mingyu hugged Joshua roughly. In a gruff voice he said, “Thank you hyung.”

Joshua patted him lightly. “No problem.”

The host had a drumroll play. “Now for the main event. Before we get to the auction of the jaguar and the wolf we have a special treat for you all. The owners decided to put on a little show of their strength for the audience.” He paused for effect, “They will be fighting each other!”

Hissing in Mingyu’s ear, “Nowhere did you say that there was going to be hybrids fighting each other. That’s illegal.”

“I didn’t know. It wasn’t on the invitation. And Wonwoo hyung only said that he came to the auction and that’s all that happened. And we can’t leave until the thing is over.”

Joshua huffed. “This is absolutely disgusting.” He settled uneasily into his seat. He hoped the two hybrids didn’t tear each other’s throats out.

Both of them were dragged into the makeshift ring that was pushed onto the stage. The assistants unclasped the chains and ran, leaving the two hybrids to circle and growl at each other. After what seemed like a few minutes of the circling, it was only like one minute, they pounced. Jeonghan swiped at the Seungcheol, drawing blood. The wolf howled. He took a jump back before moving to chomp on the jaguar who growled back, slamming his head into Seungcheol’s jaw to make him let go.

The wolf whined as he most likely felt the head jar a few things in his head. The two hybrid went back to growling at each other, circling to catch the other off guard.

All Joshua could see was bleeding and bones that were bruised if not possibly broken. The two hybrids would kill each other before they could even get sold. What on Earth was wrong with these people?

“They’ll die,” Joshua whispered furiously to Mingyu.

Mingyu sat there entranced and scared at the same time not replying to Joshua.

Seungcheol tried to take another bite out of Jeonghan, but the jaguar wasn’t a fast animal for no reason. He evaded the bite only to attack the wolf, making him fall to his side with the force of his paw.

Joshua bit his lip as he watched the wolf get back up, anger clear in his eyes. Snapping his large jaws at the jaguar it stood, waiting before moving forward to slam the jaguar into the wall before retreating, leaving the jaguar slightly dazed.

Joshua couldn’t take it. Any more fighting and the two would kill each other with internal bleeding and broken bones that would accidentally puncture something important.

He got up and rushed to the host, ignoring Mingyu’s questions. Grabbing the man by the jacket he asked, “Stop them. They’ll kill each other.”

The host pushed off his hands. “I’m sorry sir but I can’t. Until the owner says so or one manages to incapacitate the other it’s out of my hands.”

Joshua panicked. This was going to be the stupidest decision he ever made in his life. “I’ll buy him. Both of them.” He in breath of air as he heard another howl and growling. “5 million won for the both of them.”

The host perked up. “Let me talk to my superior.”

“Quickly,” Joshua hissed.

Using his headset, the host spoke in whispers, turning back to Joshua after what seemed like a lifetime. “My boss said that’s a little low. Those two caused us a lot of trouble and cost us quite a bit.”

“10 million each,” Joshua bit out. “Is that enough you greedy bastards?”

The host nodded speaking into the headset once again. He turned back to Joshua with a smile on his face. “Sold. They’re yours sir.”

Joshua grabbed him again. “Now make it stop.”

“I’m sorry ladies and gentlemen! The show is at an end! These two lovely beasts have been sold! We mustn’t let them be banged up some more before their owner can take them home!”

Sighing in relief, Joshua looked at the two hybrids. They were clearly injured. Hopefully the place would at least patch them up slightly before he paid for them.

“Please proceed to the pay area if you won the hybrid of your dreams tonight! For everyone else thank you for coming! We hope to see you again!”

Mingyu rushed to him as people started to move. “Hyung! What did you do to get them to stop?”

Joshua gave him a scared look. “I just bought two hybrids.”

“No,” he whispered looking at Joshua with wide eyes.

Nodding Joshua replied, “Yes. I bought Jeonghan and Seungcheol.” He groaned. “I’m screwed. What the hell am I supposed to do with a hybrid? Two of them even.”

Mingyu stood straight. “Let’s not freak out here. We need to go and pay.” He grabbed Joshua who followed Mingyu in a slight daze.

his life right now. Two hybrids. Wild animal DNA running through their blood too. .

“Kim Mingyu. Number 1107. Here to pay for Xu Minghao.”

The worker nodded, processing the request and asking for credit cards and bank account numbers.

The host came up to Joshua with a large smile on his face. “There’s our biggest spender of the night. Let me help you with payment.”

He took Joshua further down from Mingyu slightly, inputting Joshua’s information into the computer. Joshua rattled off the pertinent information verbatim as he kept thinking of how would he deal with two hybrids.

“Bank account number?”

Joshua snapped out of it. He’d have to dip into his savings for this. No way did he leave that kind of money in his checking accounts. Joshua slid his checkbook across the table.

The host whistled. “Well, Dr. Hong we hope you will be happy with your purchases. It’s not every day someone comes across those two beauties.”

The man clearly recognized Joshua’s name if that whistle was anything to go by. “Did someone patch them up?” Joshua asked.

“Oh yes. Bandaged and everything.” He slid Joshua’s checkbook back. Joshua’s phone dinged with a notification. Joshua opened it and approved the 20 million withdrawal from Pledis Hybrids. “They’ll be brought out to you as we get your car.” He gave Joshua one last smile. “Please do be careful with Jeonghan and Seungcheol. They’re more dangerous than they look in their human form. Have a nice evening Dr. Hong. Do shop with us again.”

Joshua gave a fake smile back, hurrying back to Mingyu. “Let’s go. They’ll have the hybrids brought out to us.”

He nodded. The two of them walked out of the ballroom and out the mansion to the car. There Minghao stood, eyes clear as he jump hugged Mingyu. Joshua let them have their moment as he took in his impulsive purchases. “They’re drugged.”

One of the handlers coughed. “We had to sir. They wouldn’t settle down for us to patch them up.”

“The sedative will wear off in a few hours. They’ll be fine.” They handed over a card. “This is a hybrid doctor should you care to take them to have a check up later on.”

Joshua took it wordlessly. There was no way he’d go there. He’d ask Wonwoo where he took Jun. Or he’d check them himself. He was a doctor after all.

“Mingyu. Get in the car. You can sit the back with Minghao.”

“Where would like us to put your hybrids sir?”

Joshua took his keys from the valet. “Put Seungcheol in the back. He’ll need the cushioning for his more severe wounds. Jeonghan in the front.” He jogged to the driver’s seat, getting in and starting the ignition.

The handlers gave the same goodbye as the host. “We hope you had a good evening and do shop with us again.”

Joshua snorted as he buckled up and they closed the doors of his car. He drove away, saying under his breath, “I don’t ing think so.”