Eight

Broken Halos and Mended hearts

'Tao?' I asked when we were laying together that night.
'Hmm?'
'What's gonna happen when you get to go back? I mean, I can't exactly go with you'
He sighed 'I don't know' he said quietly and held me a bit tighter 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it'
I rested my head on his chest and closed my eyes.
To tell the truth, I was terrified about what would happen. I didn't want to live with out him and he knew it too and was worried about what I would do.
But right now, I had no clue at all what to do.

I woke up in the middle of the night to Tao tossing and turning beside me. I didn't even know he'd decided to stay the night. I poked him lightly to wake him up.
'Tao sweetie, wake up' he woke up with a start.
'What's going on?' he said sweating. I hugged him.
'I think you were having a bad dream. You looked like you were in distress' I replied. He didn't reply, just hugged me. I kissed the top of his head 'everything's alright darling' I soothed 'you wanna talk about it? it might help'
'It's nothing, just a dream I always have about him taking over completely and me not being able to get control back'
'You're strong Zitao, and it was just a dream. It'll be okay'
'There's more' he continued 'this time, you were there too'
'Oh really? What happened?' I had a feeling that I already knew the answer.
'I killed you' he said quietly and hid his face 'it's been the same ever since we met'
I hugged him even tighter 'everything is gonna be fine Tao, I promise'
'How can you be so sure?'
I shrugged 'I live life on the premise that everything will work out if we make it that way and vice versa. If we're positive then positive things will happen, If we think negatively, then well, negative things will happen'
'That's a good way to look at things' he mused.
I smiled and kissed him again
...
Tao's POV;- After all I had put her through, Sya was still here by my side, fighting for and defending me.
How could I ever re pay her? I'd do it by not giving up, she'd made this life worth living and I would live.
For her.
'Thank you Sya' I whispered.
'What for dear?'
'For sticking with me. I know it must be hard'
'If love and life wasn't meant to be hard, it would be boring' she said.
'I guess that's true'
'I hate being bored' she smiled mischeivously and I laughed.
'When the two of you are done, I have something to say' a voice interupted.
'What the hell are you doing here?' I demeanded.
'Well, you're taking so long to kill the girl, I've come to help out'
'Who are you?' I asked.
'Oh how rude of me not to introduce myself. My name is Mephistopheles and I'm here to finish the job this idiot started'
'Tao is not an idiot' Meph laughed.
'I'm not like you' I told him 'I still have good in me' Meph raised an eyebrow and laughed again.
'You're falledn, it's just a matter of time' he said.
'Just because I am this way, doesn't mean I have to be like you and conform to what's expected of me'
'I know, which is why I'm going to do this' and he struck out at Sya.
I tried to get in the way, to take the hit instead of her, but the magic...or whatever it was hit her straight in the chest and all I could do was catch her as she fell.

'Sya, can you hear me?'
'Yes Tao, I can hear you fine' she said quietly, her eyes closed.
'I'm sorry, I wanted to save you, I was too slow'
'It's alright, I'm glad you didn't because then I'd have to live without you'
'But now I have to live without you' I said with tears in my eyes.
'Maybe not' she said and she looked me straight in the eyes, trying her best to smile 'your wings are back' she whispered.