The unexpected

A step closer; The beginning

 

"How many times in our lives we make plans thinking that nothing in the world could stop them from happening? And then something unexpected happens and changes everything. Sometimes one may think he knows everything and that things are clear. But in certain times of one's life there are moments, where everything seems to have a questionmark. I thought I knew myself better. I thought I knew what I wanted, but do I?"


Sehun.

 

Sehun's motorcycle had sped up and Rian could not believe the situation she was in. 

"Okay let's take things from the beginning. I ran away from home. I literally jumped in Sehun's motorcycle. I'm wearing his helmet. I have my hands placed on his waist. I'm touching Sehun! I swear this is the closest we've ever been!" She thought to herself, still scared that this is all a dream and Mrs. Park will soon come and wake her up.


 

Sehun suddenly stopped the vehicle. 

"Get out." He simply said.

 

Rian looked around her. They were at...

"A beach?" She thought out loud. All this time she was only paying attention to Sehun and the way she got herself in this situation, so she didn't notice her surroundings. She then understood that Sehun actually listened to what she said and she mentally facepalmed.

"Why? You don't like it? Are you in a position where you can demand things from me Lee Rian?"

She stayed silent. It was better like that. Yes right. She would not speak ever again.

"Are you back to mute now?" Sehun looked at her with a questioning face.

"I think you owe me an explanation Rian."

Why even hearing her name coming out of his mouth felt so good? Silence.

"If you don't plan on telling me, I might as well go...Oh and guess who's not coming with me."

Silence. 

"Bye Rian. Call someone to come pick you up." He said and started walking away.

"Don't go." She said panicking while she grabbed his hand.

He felt a little taken aback from the skinship. Why this just started to feel weird?

"Will you talk to me then? I lost my date because of you."
"I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to be a nuisance to you."
"Wow...You can actually talk."
"So funny."

He suddenly relaxed. This wasn't so bad after all. She seemed like a total different person now and he couldn't help but think that even though he knows her all of his life, he actually knows nothing about her. The way she tried to have a conversation with him and the way she blushed with every word she said made her look cute. 

"Talk to me Rian. We know each other since forever. And I know you don't have anyone to talk. I might not be the ideal friend, but maybe I could be of some help."
"I have someone to talk to you know?"
"Yes, sure. And who is that someone by the way?"
"Mr. Choi."
"Your driver? Geez Rian he's like 80 years old. I'm talking about someone your age. A friend."
"He's 67! At least he doesn't think I'm a weird freak."
"You created that image. I don't understand why you're doing this to yourself. You have everything. You're pretty, you're intelligent and you look like a decent person."

"He thinks I'm pretty...?" She thought to herself. "Oh wait...Decent? Just decent? I'm an extremely nice person you know!"

"Come here. Sit down." He took her wrist and they headed towards a big rock. The landscape was beautiful. The waves were huge and the clouds in the sky made them feel almost agreesive. The weather was getting worse. Rian thought it was weird cause in the morning the sun was bright. Maybe it was all a dream indeed. She pinched herself. "This is real."

"Okay. We have to start from somewhere. I have a lot of questions, but I don't want to make you feel like you're being investigated. Let's make it more fun. Everytime I ask you a question you can ask me something too."
"O...kay?"
"I'm taking this as a yes. I'm going first. Why did you run away from home?"
"I was trying to avoid something."
"What were you trying to avoid?"
"A...A blind date."
"What? Your parents are trying to set you up?!" Sehun shouted, realization finally hitting him.

"Sehun it's been like 3 questions already."

"It's all part of the same question. The why did you run away from home one. You could give me a full response but you're not doing it, so I have to make seperate ones."

"Okay..."

"So I'm going to ask you again. Are they trying to set you up?"

"That's what I'm talking about. They've gone mad! I'm not going to those stupid dates."
"Well then why don't you discuss it with your parents?"
"Do you ever see them home?"

Rian was sure Sehun could not understand her. Nobody could. Her parents...Ugh, her parents were her biggest problem. It's not that they didn't love their daughter. She was everything to them. That's why they gave her the best education and everything she could possibly ask for. She took ballet classes, piano-guitar-violin classes, martial arts classes...She could speak 5 languages including korean, english, chinese, japanese and russian. She spent all of her life studying. And her parents were proud of their creation. Their daughter was exactly how they wanted her to be. What would she need friends for?

The thing is, her parents were too interfering. They needed to feel that they controlled Rian's life.

 When she was younger, they never took her to her classmates' parties. It's not that they forbidded her from having friends. But they didn't care either. For example, their excuse every time she asked to go to a party was "We don't have time for that. We're busy. Just study instead." They taught her, her best friends are the books. "The books at least offer something to you. They make you wise." Her mom used to say.


And that's how Rian built a huge wall between her and the world. It was not her fault. She was taught like this. Sometimes she felt so suffocated by all this stuff that she wanted to scream her lungs out.

"The truth is that your parents travel a lot...But maybe if- Sehun's phone started ringing. The caller ID showed that it was Soyeon who was calling. He saw his watch. 7.45 pm. 

"Oh !" He said out loud. He decided not to pick up the phone. He would find an excuse later. If Soyeon ever learnt who he was with right now she would be furious. No, furious would be an understatement. She would kill him and Rian as well.

"Okay, it's my turn now. Here's my question. You said you had a date. It was Soyeon who called you right now no?"
"Yes."
"Why didn't you pick up the phone?"
"Because I don't know what to say."
"It's not right. She must have waited. You have to explain her. Tell her it's my fault."
"Do you have a deathwish? She can never find out we were together."
"Why is it so?"
"She does not like you." He said simply.

"Oh...I see. I can't ask why right?"
"One question at a time Mrs. Lee."
"Okay your turn."
"I'm sorry I'm going to ruin this pretty little game of ours, but this is going to be my last question to you as we have to go. It's about to rain and we're far away from home."
"I'm all ears."
"Why are you so closed to yourself?"
"I don't know?"
"You don't know?!"
"I was always shy. I was afraid to approach people and I guess my awkwardness pushed people away."
"Why would you be afraid?"

"I guess played it safe. Maybe I was scared of being hurt and betrayed."
"Rian, it's okay to feel hurt and betrayed. That's what makes you human. And plus people can also make you feel happy, loved and appreciated. You let all those beautiful feelings out of your life..."
"Then, here comes my last question to you."
"Tell me."
"I know it may sound weird... And I really don't understand where this courage comes from, but, would you be my friend?" She said with a face full of expectations. Sehun saw how her eyes almost pleaded him to say yes. How much she needed a friend.
"Of course." He said and  placed his hand on her shoulder. They smiled to each other and got up to go.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The little trip back home felt comfortable. The sky was now dark, and Rian swore  she hadn't felt that happy for a long time.Today she got herself a friend. And this friend was actually Oh Sehun. Okay, the truth is she was in love with him, but she couldn't be ungrateful. She couldn't keep everything to herself. She could be by his side as a friend. She was actually really curious as to how she managed to spill these words out of , but at that moment it felt so right.

As for Sehun, he couldn't believe that the girl behind him, the girl holding his waist was Rian. Today she looked like a totally different person. Usually he only heard Rian's voice during classes, when the teacher would ask her something. Today, he heard her real voice, her problems. He saw her showing her frustrations but he also saw her laughter. She was such a mysterious creature, but a fun one for sure.

The only problem was Soyeon. He had to lie to her and he didn't like that. He had to find an excuse as to why he never showed up to their date. And he couldn't tell her he actually was at another date, with someone she really can't stand.

 

The two of them arrived home. They got out of the motorcycle and Rian gave Sehun his helmet.
"Thank you for the helmet."
"Well, I didn't exaclty give it to you. You literally stole it from me."
"Hahaha I'm sorry about that."

Cute, when she smiled she was cute.

"And...Thank you for being with me today."
"You're welcome..." 
"It was kind of fun." She replied, looking at her feet, feeling all shy.
"Kind of?"
"Goodnight Sehun." She said with a sincere smile.
"Goodnight Rian." He reciprocated the smile.

 

And like this the two of them entered their respective homes. And Rian couldn't describe how happy she felt. How grateful she felt.

"I was actually with Oh Sehun right now!" She thought to herself as a huge grin showed up to her face.

It was this unexpected day that held them both up all night...

 

Author's corner

A small update for you guys. Hope you like it :)