Chapter IV

One Day One Chance

Day by day finally passed. Both Changmin and Yunho holidays come to finish.

Yunho’s head quickly feel painful at the thought of back to work and college.

Yunho stepped outside from the room. He turned back, looking at Changmin who still busy packing his bag.

“Have you done yet, Changmin?” Yunho asked. Both Yunho and Changmin woke up late today. Actually, it’s just Changmin because his school started in an hour.

“Yes, yes, Yunho. I’m coming...” answered Changmin while sipping his cup of milk. He soon rushed toward the apartment door, took his shoes and put it on.

Yunho feel a tap of guilt on his heart, “I’m sorry that I asked you to did laundry last night... I shouldn’t have done so... I also should have know that school started earlier than college...” apologized Yunho with regret.

Changmin shook his head while tying his shoelaces, “Nope. It’s all good. I also should have put on an alarm or something. It’s actually my fault,” said Changmin. He then reminded of what happened last night. Yunho actually... mixed all the shirt on the washing machine and almost washed all of it in one go... before Changmin stopped it.

When Changmin saw Yunho doing that, it’s no wonder that mostly Yunho’s shirts are dull and stained in lots of colors. Yunho also almost poured half of the detergent bag to the washing machine.

Changmin shivered as he reminded of that. He smiled though, as he finished tying his shoelaces.

“Okay! I’m done! Let’s go, Yunho,” Changmin said in full spirits. He closed the door behind him, locked it, and put it on his pocket.

Both Yunho and Changmin quickly rushed toward the stairs. They greeted every people who passed them politely as they semi-running.

When they reached outside, Changmin straightly went toward the opposite direction of Yunho’s. He turned his head toward Yunho and waved, “See ya, Yunho! Have a good day!”

Yunho stare at Changmin confusingly, “Changmin? We will just go by my car?”

Changmin stopped running suddenly, “Your what?”

“Car, my car! I’ll drive you to your school with my car! Come on!” shouted Yunho toward the rushing Changmin.

Changmin quickly ran back toward Yunho. A wide smirk can be seen on his face.

“Oh, so that’s where the money of a person who-only-ea- once-a-day went to,” said Changmin still grinning widely.

Yunho laughed. He walked toward the apartment’s basement, leading Changmin.

“It’s from job... from job!” Yunho said.

Yunho then stopped in front of a glistening black car. It looks new, but it seems to be an old brand.

Changmin sighed in amusement, “What kind of job giving you this kind of car? Woah, Yunho, I misunderstand you...” Changmin said while hopped into the passenger seat.

Yunho already seated on the driver seat, still laughing. He playfully pinched Changmin’s shoulder.

“A driver, Changmin. The company lend this for me, actually,” Yunho said, turning on the car engine.

Changmin still grinning widely. Amused by the fact that he able to go to his school riding car.

“So, Yunho. A kind and warmhearted person like you, do you have girlfriend already?” asked Changmin. His eyes were fixed toward the scenery outside the window though. It was amazing for Changmin to witness the morning crowd, fresh from holiday, back doing their daily routine.

Yunho raised one of his eyebrow, “Why do you suddenly ask that?” he asked, wondering.

Changmin didn’t answer though. His eyes still wander around the busy road.

“I don’t... though. I have some... in the past. It’s not that we don’t work out, but... well... most of them run away after tasting my homemade cook,” said Yunho while blushing. It’s hard to admit, but Yunho does acknowledging his poor talent on cooking!

Changmin laughed loudly at that. His entire body shaking as he laughed. Yunho quickly punched Changmin’s shoulder, who protested in pain.

“Oh, come on, Yunho. If they really do love you, they won’t leave you just because of your cooking talent,” Changmin said while showing his trademark grinning.

Yunho only sighed. He just silently changing his car’s gear as he focused on driving still.

“To be honest, if I were those girls. I’ll be chasing you like crazy and do anything to get you,” Changmin said suddenly.

Yunho astounded. He turned toward Changmin, but unable to said anything.

Did he hear what Changmin said, just right?

Yunho didn’t have time to ask that though, as Changmin quickly stopped him.

“Stop, Yunho. My school is just across the street, see that building there? Well, see you later this night!” Changmin said while quickly hopped off from the car as soon as the car stopped.

Yunho seems to about to say something, but again stopped by Changmin, “Thank you for the ride! I arrived just in time thanks to you! See ya, Yunho!” said Changmin while waving. He soon then crossed the road and run toward his school.

Yunho shook his head. Sometime, his new room mate said unexpected things...

And somehow, what Changmin said will caused Yunho to be distracted the whole day.

Yunho shrugged, as he quickly rushed his car toward his college.

Time quickly passed as. The day finally finished and Yunho feel very exhausted.

This is only the first day back to work and college since holiday, but Yunho already had to work hard.

His job finished late, as he expected. Yunho walked through his apartment hallway as he worriedly thinking if he able to enter his room or not.

It’s twelve at midnight. Changmin must have already slept.

If only his client didn’t suddenly asked Yunho to drive them out of town.

Now Yunho just really want to lay down on his bed. He swore that he won’t take a bath, he’ll just change his clothes and sleep.

Yunho was soon a step closer with his room. While he wondering if he should call Changmin and wake him, the door of his apartment room suddenly opened.

“Yunho?” a small squeaky voice called him from inside.

Yunho was surprised. He quickly stared at Changmin judgingly, “Changmin? Why are you here?”

Changmin smiled, he greeted Yunho as Yunho entered the room, “I heard footsteps from outside. So, I thought you finally home and here you are!” chirped Changmin cheerfully even at late night.

Yunho didn’t believe that of course.

“No way! Why haven’t you sleep yet? Why were you right at front of the door as soon as I come? Were you planning to go somewhere at this late night?”

Changmin was about to said something, but Yunho quickly interrupted, “It’s okay, Changmin. I won’t mad or anything. All you have to do is to be responsible with yourself and not messing up when you come back in the morning,”

Changmin only smiled. He watched and waited as Yunho took off his shoes and socks.

“I actually still studying. I wondered though if I should sleep earlier or wait for you instead. But then I heard your footstep and I kinda wondered if it’s that you? It was really you though,” Changmin said. Sincere-ness could be heard from his voice.

Yunho stood up. He stare toward the still smiling Changmin, wondering.

Yunho then entered their bedroom. When he looked toward Changmin’s side... Changmin seems to be indeed was studying?

Changmin’s side have no desk yet, so, he used his suitcase as the desk. A small studying lamp can be seen next to his suitcase.

Changmin also entered their room, he walked toward his side and quickly sit next to his “desk”.

Yunho looked toward his desk. It didn’t seems to be just used recently. Yunho kinda wondered if the reason Changmin has been so “aware” of his footsteps was because he used his desk for studying.

“I’ll be studying a while, Yunho. I won’t be noisy, so, I hope I won’t disturb you,” Changmin said while facing Yunho.

Yunho protested while he stripped down all his clothes, “Nope. Changmin. It’s midnight. It’s not good for a student like you to study till late. You should sleep,” said Yunho.

He finally finished wearing his casual sleeping shirt with his short pants. This made Yunho sighed in relief.

Changmin could be seen shaking his head through the dim light, “It’s alright. I’m used to study till late,” Changmin said. He already facing his books again, scratching his pen here and there.

Yunho shrugged. He walked toward Changmin, sit behind him, and softly ruffling his hair.

“Nah, I swear that you have studied enough, Changmin. Also, next time don’t wait for me till I’m home. Just... turn on your phone rings. I’ll mostly comeback home late, so, I’ll just called you as soon as I reached home,” Yunho said, assuring Changmin.

Changmin smiled. He then pulled Yunho’s arm, guiding it into wrapping his body in a backhug. Laying his head on Yunho’s shoulder as he did that.

“You too, Yunho. You have worked hard. Please rest well. I’ll help you as much as I can,” Changmin whispered. Closing his eyes as he laid on Yunho comfortably.

Yunho murmured something Changmin couldn’t hear. He sniffed Changmin’s hair, snuffling it softly with his nose, “Hmm... did you washed your hair again, Changmin?” asked Yunho smelling the fresh scent of shampoo on Changmin’s hair.

Yunho can feel Changmin nodded under him, “Mom said it’s okay to wash your hair often with cheap shampoo. It’s actually good for your hair,”said Changmin.

Yunho laughed as heard that. Yunho only washed once per week, not because he is prudent, just because he is lazy.

Changmin shifted his body to a more comfortable position. Yunho, somehow, feel like hugging Changmin tighter.

Changmin have this charm that make everyone just want to cuddle him and love him eternally, Yunho thought. So, he let Changmin rested on his body for a while.

Changmin seems to be enjoying as Yunho hugged him tighter. He moaned in delightful pleasure. Caused Yunho to be slightly alerted because of that.

“Ermm... you really have a great body to slept at, Yunho,” praised Changmin.

Yunho snickered, “Not that again!” he said in protest.

Changmin laughed, “But that’s a praise, Yunho!” he said in defend.

“Yunho... I... feel happy to have you as an older brother...” Changmin said suddenly.

“I am the oldest at house... so... I never had anyone older. But now I have you to take care of me... I feel so lucky, Yunho. You have no idea. Thank you for accepting me as your room mate...” Changmin said. He stared toward the wall in front of him with glistening eyes.

Yunho smiled, he can’t help, but finally pecked Changmin’s head as he can’t handle this kid cuteness, “Me too, Changmin. I was the youngest at home... but now, I have someone younger. I never know it is this fun to have a small brother...” Yunho said in thankful voice.

For a moment, they fell silent. Feeling comfortable with each other presence. Enjoying the warmth that both radiated from their body.

Yunho quickly snapped though, as he heard Changmin breath become slower.

“Changmin? You shouldn’t sleep here! I told you, you should have sleep already. Let’s get into your bed,” Yunho said while carefully tapping Changmin’s shoulder.

Yunho relieved as he heard Changmin laughed. Apparently, he hadn’t sleep yet.

Yunho stood up carefully, he then helped Changmin doing so.

Both Yunho and Changmin walked like zombie toward their bed. Both also quickly laid down on their bed.

Changmin turned off his studying lamp. He covered himself in his blanket as he heard Yunho said, “good night, Changmin,”

Changmin turned toward Yunho, “Yunho?”

“Yes?”

Changmin seems to be hesitating for a moment.

“Good night, Yunho,” Changmin said finally.

Now, Yunho turned toward Changmin, “What is it?” Yunho asked as he could detect that Changmin seems to have something else to said.

Changmin still seems to be hesitating, he then turned toward Yunho again, and finally said, “Well, when my sister were younger, they used to sleep while holding my hand. I... never know how it feels to hold someone older, but... my sister always said that they felt safe while doing that,”

Changmin fell silent again, Yunho wait patiently.

“Well, I just wondered... can I hold your hand while I sleep?” asked Changmin slowly.

Yunho laughed. At Changmin’s word, Yunho silently wondered how lonely it is to be the oldest? Having no one to depend to. Yunho’s sister has always told Yunho that being the oldest is hard as they have lots of family responsibility weighed into their shoulder.

Yunho then dropped his hand next to Changmin, while saying, “Yeah... Changmin. You may...”

Yunho can’t see Changmin’s reaction through the darkness. But, Yunho soon feel the warmth of Changmin’s hand enveloped him. Changmin’s long and thin fingers softly caressing Yunho’s palm. Leaving a warm trace on it.

After a while, Yunho could hear Changmin slow breathing. Meaning that Changmin had finally fell asleep. His hand though, still tightly holding Yunho’s hand as if it trying to find protection.

Soon Yunho fell asleep. A scent of Changmin’s shampoo still lingering on his nose.

Yunho don’t know, but, between his sleep, Yunho swear he could hear a person sobbing.

Yunho ended up dreaming about Changmin, who fell asleep while studying and sobbing, and Yunho silently caressing his hairs beside him.