Chapter II

One Day One Chance

 

“Hi, Yunho! Having trouble there?”

Yunho jumped back. He was very surprised when a head suddenly appeared over his shoulder.

Yunho stared at Changmin judgingly, “Is this your habit to suddenly appear out of nowhere?”

Changmin blinked in confusion, “Err... I...” Changmin then gulped down his saliva, “I... Sorry?”

Yunho could only shook his head, “Well, it’s alright. I’m just purely surprised...”

Changmin scratched his head. He then peeked toward Yunho’s cook again.

“Isn’t that too much black peppers, Yunho?” Changmin asked as Yunho pouring down the black peppers, filling the tablespoon.

Yunho shook his head again, “Nope, this is good. I cooked like this everyday,” Yunho said confidently. To Changmin surprise, Yunho still poured down the black peppers on the spoon.

That caused Changmin to be a bit taken aback though, “Err... Yunho...” Changmin then proceeded by slowly massaging Yunho’s shoulders. Trying to win Yunho. “I... think you’ve been working way too hard. Can you please, let me just cook this for now? I’ll cook one for you too?” asked Changmin carefully.

“And you study way too much it seems? Nope. A kid like you need a huge dose of vitamins and I can do that just well. You just sit down there and wait for the food,” Yunho said sternly.

Changmin stared at Yunho with his big, sparkly, and cute eyes, “Pleaseeee?”

“What? No! I...” Yunho then turned at Changmin. He then surprised as he saw Changmin’s begging eyes.

It was... cute! Like a puppy’s!

Yunho hesitated a bit, it seems that he couldn’t resist that eyes.

“Ermmm... well... okay. Just for this once...” Yunho said while stepping back. Giving Changmin space to cook.

“YAY!” Changmin immediately hopped toward the kitchen. He noticed then on how much mess Yunho caused on the kitchen! The eggs wasn’t cracked rightly. Lots of eggs skin scattered on the eggs’ yolk. Lots of eggs’ yolk which also smeared on the table.

Changmin smiled. He then patiently get the eggs’ skin from the yolk. Opened the bottle of black peppers and poured all the black peppers on the spoon, back to the bottle.

It’s only good that Yunho seems to haven’t do anything aside of cracking eggs and pouring almost the entire bottle of black peppers.

Changmin hummed as he quickly did his work. He noticed a can of spams on the kitchen counter. It seems that Yunho also intended to cook that. Changmin then took the spams, smelled it, decided that it’s still edible and cooked it too.

Yunho silently observed Changmin as he cooks.

To admit it with regret, Changmin seemed to be doing a much better work than Yunho does!

“You seems to be good at it...” whispered Yunho. Wishing that Changmin couldn’t hear him.

That wish seems to be answered though, as Changmin didn’t showed up any response. He just quickly did their brunch and carefully putting them and sharing them on two plates.

“This is it! Our egg and spams brunch! I hope you enjoy it, Yunho!” Changmin said cheerfully while putting the plate near Yunho.

It did smells very good! Yunho took a bite, he munched it slowly, and then realized only that time... that he has been doing his cook wrong all this while.

Yunho blushed as he let his head droop down. His cooking skill just suddenly get beaten by someone younger than him.

Yunho peeked at Changmin. The kid seems to be enjoying his food to the fullest! He ate it like it’s the most delicious food in this word. Even though it was only simple egg and spams.

“Did you cook at home?” Yunho asked in between his munching.

Changmin nodded confidently, “Three growing younger sisters! I did all the cook! If it’s just fried eggs like this, it’s elementary things,” Changmin said cheerfully.

Yunho muttered, “An older sister. She did all the cooking...” whispered Yunho.

“Oh? So you are the youngest kid?” asked Changmin.

Yunho nodded, “Yes. Only of two of us at home. It’s kinda lonely sometimes as my sister get her job,”

Changmin suddenly laughed. Hearing Changmin’s laugh, Yunho feel astonished. It almost as seems that he just heard a bird chirping in the morning.

Changmin took another bite before saying, “Well, you should come to my house someday. Everytime it’s dinner time, it will be almost like war. If you don’t hurry up and take your food, you won’t get any,” Changmin said while grinning.

“It seems like you live a chaotic life...” Yunho responded in wonder.

“Yeah... that’s why I get out of the house. Find a job and pay up my own rent for living. My house was already too full for all of us,” Changmin said while taking his last bite.

Yunho looked at Changmin’s plate in awe, “You’ve eat all of that?”

“YES! I LOVE EATING!” Changmin then laughed again. Letting out a chirping like voice.

Yunho astounded, “It seems that we will be soon running out of foods...” he said, still in awe.

“No worry, Yunho. I usually only ate once everyday. It’s okay,” Changmin said as he stand up, taking his plate, and get ready to wash it up.

“How about you, Yunho? If you want to eat lunch, I can do the cook too,” Changmin said cheerfully.

“Oh, I also only eat once. Don’t worry...” Yunho said. Changmin nodded at Yunho’s answer.

“I sometimes bring out food leftovers from jobs though. If I do, then we can eat dinner,” said Yunho in assuring’s voice.

Changmin grinned at that, “Nice! Free foods! My school also sometimes give out free lunch for us. I’ll make sure I’ll bring home some if it happens.”

For the first time since Changmin came, Yunho finally smile.

Yunho, to be honest, didn’t expect that he will get such an innocent but cheerful room mate. He was, indeed, told that the room mate is younger than him. Yunho kinda expected that a spoiled brat will come instead, but God thanks that he was wrong.

Yunho finally finished his food. He then brought up his plate to the dishwasher and playfully pushed Changmin from it, “I do the dishes if you do the cook,” Yunho smiled.

Changmin smiled back, “nice! We got a deal, then,” Changmin said.

Slowly Changmin then stepped back. Letting Yunho washed the dishes.

“So, I saw that this apartment only have one bathroom, the one inside our room. Or, are there any other?” asked Changmin carefully.

Yunho slightly raised his head while still washing, “Ermm... nope. Why is it? You can’t share bathroom?”

“No, no, no. It’s actually okay, but, I might be a bit noisy while taking bath... is it okay for you?”

Yunho now finished washing the dishes. He turned toward Changmin while slightly laughing, “What are you doing while taking a bath?” Yunho said jokingly.

Changmin smiled shyly, “No, I’m just usually sings while I showered,” he said softly. His cheeks blushed up as he said that. It was kinda cute, Yunho thought.

“It depends. Let’s do the audition then. When you take a bath, I’ll listen to your voice. And then I shall decide if your singing is good enough to allow you to sing while showering, or you should showered outside,” said Yunho in joking voice.

Changmin smiled at that, “That sounds kinda creepy... but alright! Challenge accepted!” Changmin said happily.

Changmin then turned back and headed the sofa. He sit down there and stare at Yunho who also followed him and sit at the sofa.

“Is college life hard?” asked Changmin.

That question caused Yunho to grunts, “URRGH College! It’s the equal of hell, I tell you,” mocked Yunho. He smashed his body to the sofa.

“You got less time at classes, but more TASKS TO DO! Not to mention the heavy responsibility you got. One wrong move and you will lost all your money I tell you!” Yunho said continue mocking.

Changmin listened attentively as Yunho protesting.

“It feels like you will never understand what the Professor wanted. You’ve been trying hard to do their task, trying to find resources for your paper, spending almost nights waking up to do them. Only to have your grade B- at the end of your term!” Yunho said angrily. He laid his head on the sofa over the stressful thought of his college life.

Changmin nodded in respond, “I see... indeed most of guys in my age are wrong about how college life is easier,” Changmin said. He seems to be currently thinking about something while at that.

Yunho grinned suddenly, “Well... It is better. The life is much more laid back since there are more holidays and less class hour. But like i said, the responsibility,”

Changmin nodded again. He then smiled toward Yunho, “So, you and Junsu are on the same major?”

“Me and Junsu? Yeah. He is my classmate till now. He also was my childhood friend,” Yunho said while stretching his body.

He let out an “Oommppff” voice and turned toward Changmin, “Though, compared to me, Junsu is a genius...”

“Wait... so you are in the music major?” asked Changmin. His eyes grow wide in anticipation.

“Huh? Oh... so... I guessed Junsu told you about his major then? Well...” Yunho scratched his head, “It’s not that I am good at it... but yeah...”

Changmin eyes widened even more, “WHAT? SO YOU ARE MAJORING ON THE BEST MAJOR, AT THE TOP UNIVERSITY, EVEN?” Changmin shouted in amaze.

Hearing Changmin exclaim, Yunho blushed shyly. His small eyes stared on the empty sofa space between them, “Well... I was just lucky enough...”

“COOL!” Changmin interrupted before Yunho got to finished his words. Changmin then stood up. He looked toward Yunho, then suddenly he bowed down, “SENIOR. I BEG FOR YOUR HELP AND ASSISTANCE. I HAVE BEEN DREAMING OF GETTING INTO YOUR UNIVERSITY, MAJORING IN MUSIC SINCE I WAS CHILD!” Changmin said, still shouting in excitement. It feels like fate that Changmin’s room mate is a current college student at his dream university!

Yunho surprised. He quickly stood up too and dragged Changmin back to the sofa, “No, no, no. I was just lucky... really. I bet you can get into even better university than mine easily. You are good at it, I bet,” Yunho said nervously. He didn’t expected Changmin to be very excited about it!

Changmin eyes sparkled still in amusement. His level of respect toward Yunho, shooting up high sky just in hours of knowing him.

“You are great, Yunho. I’m very happy to have you as my room mate,” Changmin said sincerely.

At that word, Yunho felt a tap on his heart. He never praised that much by someone else. He was never considered as a success person. His family, especially his dad, has never agree on his choice to pursue his dream to be musician. It’s just good that they’re still supporting him financially, but, Yunho bet that his dad talked about Yunho’s poor choice behind him.

Yunho looked at Changmin who still stare in respect, he dropped his head down again “Nah... I’m not that great...” whispered Yunho softly.

Yunho then raised his head and smiled toward Changmin, “I’m also lucky to have you too...”

Both of them then fell silent. Somehow, their conversation has turned into a sweet-fluffy-praise toward each other.

Changmin’s heart feel warm in happiness. He still couldn’t believe that his new room mate is a great person! He smiled bashfully, feeling like he is one step closer toward his goal!

Yunho, again, was staring at the sofa.  It feels that bloods rushed toward his cheeks, making him feels hot.

“Well...” Yunho finally broke the silence, “It’s been long since i cleaned this apartment... especially bathroom,” Yunho then proceeded to stand up, “Do you want to help?”

Changmin nodded immediately, “Sure! I’m good at cleaning too,” Changmin was also standing up.

Yunho walked toward a cupboard near the kitchen. He opened it and getting out stuffs to clean their room.

Changmin followed behind him, peeking toward the cupboard from Yunho’s back. He accepted the stuffs that Yunho giving him, while Yunho instructing him on what to do.

Their first day seems to be going well, already. As both Changmin and Yunho cleaned their room cheerfully and sometimes throwing jokes here and there.

Both feels comfortable, knowing that each of them having a nice conversation flowing and having fun while at that.