First and Last.

Artificial Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yifan still feels horrible.

 

His head feels like it’s going to explode. One because of the extreme temperature of his body. Two because he doesn’t know how much longer he has to stand at the altar. He has to have patience and have a professional smile plastered on his mouth every time he unintentionally makes eye contact with the guests. He never thought that his mother will invite the higher-ups and some of their family-friends because as far as Yifan knows, the wedding is supposed to be ‘private’. The empty seats are now literally flooded.

 

He nervously adjusts his cuffs without him knowing, waiting for his to-be wife’s appearance any time now. He becomes self-conscious when the music suddenly changes into a soft violin. That only means one thing. He braces himself because today, it will be his first and last wedding. His mother gave him lots of advice about marriage, mostly stressing the point where one shouldn’t ever play with marriage. Yifan remembers every word she said and he will keep it in his head forever.

 

Junhee breathes in very deeply at the closed door in front of her as she clutches the bouquet of red roses with black feathers attractively decorating it, matching her hairpin. It’s customly made, her mother said. Her black peep toe wedges is bought by her mother yesterday, specifically for this event when she asked why. Her dress is comfortable rather than that day when she tried it on. She admits that she had wedding jitters a few days ago because she and Yifan didn’t get to text.

 

They haven’t met for three days, so she’s quite anxious no matter how hard she tries to brush it off. “Junhee?” She swivels around to the back unhurriedly and spots her father who’s dressed neatly, walking towards her. Her mother must have chosen the tuxedo for him, matching the wedding’s theme. He looks so handsome despite his age. “You look good,” She smiles for a brief second. “You look so beautiful…” Siwon adjusts the hairpin, sending her a sad smile. He never thought the day will come for him to marry off his daughter, even though it’s arranged.

 

Yet he has to do this.

 

Or else his daughter won’t find time for herself to have a life partner. He still remembered the day he become a father, holding the little bundle of joy in his arms when Junhee was brought into this world. “Dad…” He’s pulled out from his memories from the past as soon as he hears his daughter’s soft voice. “Sorry,” He quickly wipes off the unshed tears on the corner of his left eye, “I just can’t believe it,” He smiles again, gloomily. “Me neither,” Junhee smiles shortly before looking nervous.

 

Even though his daughter had a haircut, Siwon can’t see any difference, but she indeed looks so beautiful with her hair loose, the hairpin tucked cutely opposite to her long bangs. She always have her hair tied at home. “You look just like your mother.” Junhee almost rolls her eyes but she doesn’t, “I’m her daughter.” Siwon heaves out a sigh, caressing her soft locks, “I’m trying to be sentimental here.” Junhee pouts a little, careful not to let her lipstick to be ruined, “And I don’t need that right now, Dad.”

 

Her father chuckles before swiftly hugging her. Junhee eargerly swings her arms around him, tears threatening to come out yet she strongly holds them in. “Do you want to say anything?” Her father asks after they pull apart. “I want this to be my first and last wedding so that I don’t have to see you all sad like this again.” The older male chuckles again even though his face looks tearful. “Ready?” Her father offers his left arm with a small smile. Junhee links her right arm with his, breathing out a sigh, “Ready.”

 

As on cue, the door opens. Junhee holds in a gasp by the amount of people. She also holds back to ogle around the hall’s decoration. It’s kind of gothic but she loves it. Her mother and Yifan’s mother sure have a nice taste. As she elegantly walks down the aisle with her father next to her, the pathway slightly blanketed with a right amount of rose petals all over, she isn’t sure how to react when she spots Yifan who’s looking so, so sick but manages to be steady on his feet. Junhee then takes notice on how their attire match with each other.

 

Yifan sends a smile towards Mr Kim as he bows in respect before taking Junhee’s hand and making her to stand in front of him, both briefly looking at Mr Kim heading to the front row of the VIP seats, sitting next to his wife. Yifan has to focus on the priest who’s engaging in speech about wedding vows rather than staring at the lady in front of him. He observes the way Junhee fiddling her fingers with the rose bouquet. He makes a mistake by lifting his gaze to her face. Junhee is staring at him.

 

They both exchange awkward smiles, cheeks slowly changing colors as they’re caught staring at each other, unaware that their parents (and everyone else) are watching them with silent adoration. After exchanging ‘I do’s, both inwardly panic as they finally realize that they have to kiss to seal their marriage. They have to kiss in front of these people. They have to kiss each other. Yifan and Junhee stare at one another, not knowing who will kiss who first.

 

“Is there any problems, soon to-be husband and soon to-be wife?”

 

Both look at the priest who’s eyeing at both of them with his glasses perched on the tip of his big nose. Both shake their head frantically. “Then, you may kiss the bride.” In a split second, Yifan leans down. Junhee promptly shuts her eyes close. A soft press of lips, which feels something akin to cotton, is what she feels before it’s gone. She opens her eyes and sees Yifan’s face which is too close to hers. He then sends her a small smile as he returns to his usual spot.

 

Junhee sees the pink spreading on her husband’s cheeks, and she feels her own cheeks begin to heat up because Yifan is officially her husband. “Congratulations for our newlyweds!” The hall is then filled with loud applause. Junhee’s cheeks burn even more when the priest pushes Yifan to her side. She still can’t get over from the quick kiss just now. Well, it wasn’t even a kiss. It was just a peck but why does she feel all funny? Just then, her mother comes out of nowhere and drags her with Yifan to another hall.

 

Junhee’s jaw almost drops to the floor, totally forgetting about the kiss earlier. Even the dining hall looks gothic and supposedly… Romantic? She doesn’t even know how romantic feels like. Yifan side-eyes his wife– he will never get used at the title– and follows his and her parents. The hall is dark but not too dark. The lights are set to dim. He kind of likes how cute the small scented candles are on the table with red rose petals at the middle. His mother and Junhee’s mother sure have a nice taste.

 

When they arrive at a certain big round table which is obviously reserved for them, Yifan wants to pull out the chairs for everyone not until he’s stopped by someone. “No need to that, hyung.” He frowns before he sees a man around his height, beaming at him. “Meet our youngest son, Yifan.” Said male exchange surprise looks with Junhee’s parents before bowing to the man. The guy beams while voluntarily taking his hand for a handshake, “I’m Jongin.” He’s suddenly flustered when Jongin leans so close to his left ear. 

 

“I’ll kill you if you ever hurt my noona.”

 

Yifan gulps by the menancing tone and smiles awkwardly to everyone to assure that there’s nothing wrong, and he nods curtly to Junhee’s younger brother once the others aren’t paying attention. “Let’s sit down, shall we?” Jongin urges cheerfully, a total contrast of how he was earlier. Yifan’s left side is where Jongin is seated. On his right, there’s where Junhee is. Jongin has a small toddler on his lap. Yifan coos inwardly on how they both look alike. The parents are seated beside each other, chattering about who knows what.

 

“What did he say?”

 

Yifan looks down to his right side, Junhee’s curious face making him to smile, “Who?” Junhee points beside him with her eyes and Oh. Yifan’s smile fades as he remembers Jongin’s eery voice, “Nothing, really. He congratulated me― I mean, us.” Junhee nods in understanding before her face turns worried, “How are you?” Yifan opens his mouth to answer not until Junhee places her hand, which has the ring, on his clear forehead. “You’re still sick!” Junhee whispers loud enough just for the both of them to hear.

 

Yifan doesn’t get to breathe properly and before he can stop himself, he’s in a coughing fit. Junhee hands him her glass immediately, not knowing that a few pairs of curious eyes are watching them both. “Thank―” Yifan coughs again before he can finish his sentence. “Are you sure you can attend the meeting tomorrow?” Because it seems like you can’t, Junhee continues it mentally. Yifan doesn’t answer because the servers are serving food for each table.

 

When their parents urges everyone to eat, that’s when Yifan replies, “I can’t just leave you all alone to meet my people to your department. I’ve memorized yours so I must meet them,” He sends her a small smile. Junhee tries to understand his determination. She thinks that Yifan is being professional and looks away after nodding twice. After everyone has finished eating, the music changes. Hushed whispers begin to fill the hall before the host informs them that a waltz will begin. Yifan’s parents stand up first before waltzing away.

 

Yifan sighs, a little embarrassed when his parents pecked each other on the mouths during their dance, earning cooings and whistles. One by one start to join the dance, the slow music playing softly in the background. Two people are out from their table, and the third one is Jongin. “I’ll be going home now, noona. Taerin is getting sleepy and she’ll cry if I don’t put her to bed.” Junhee tells him to be careful on the way home and Jongin tells her to stop nagging. Junhee rolls her eyes playfully before kissing Jongin’s sleeping child on her little nose.

 

“Where’s his wife, if you mind me asking?”

 

Yifan questions once the other male exits the hall. “She’s at home, I think?” Yifan doesn’t look very satisfied by her answer. Junhee has no choice but to tell him, “I think they had a fight but Jongin didn’t tell me anything yet though.” Yifan looks worried now. “Is it serious?” He asks, apprehensive. “I think so? His wife said that she won’t go for modelling anymore but a few days ago I saw her in our magazine.” Yifan knows that Peach Hotel’s have sponsorships with the magazine. That was how Jongin got married to one of the famous models, his mother said. 

 

He knows that Jongin married early. He can’t help but to feel a little bad for him. He’s quite sure that Jongin is happy with his kid. He totally looked like a great father figure even though he’s a few years younger than him. Well, if only he knows the truth about Jongin. The sound of a chair being scraped really hard takes his attention as he looks at Junhee’s side. “Hey there, pretty.” Yifan immediately frowns and looks over to Junhee’s parents, who are looking quite displeased. Junhee doesn’t notice that though as she squeals, “Jisoo!”

 

Yifan stares at Junhee again, surprised by her sudden enthusiasm. “I didn’t see you at all just now.” This Jisoo smiles so brightly at her. Yifan looks over to Junhee’s parents again. He quirks an eyebrow when Junhee’s mother makes a cross sign with her fingers towards him. “I just want to call you out for a dance. May I?” Junhee look

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter