first progress.

Artificial Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kyungsu never tears her sight at the person in front of her. The man is apparently hesitant. He’s not even looking at her. A soft smile travels up to , “Jongin.” Said male raises his head by the gentle call. He can’t connect their gaze for too long so his eyes land on her manager instead who’s carrying the sleeping Taerin. Taemin doesn’t spare a smile, maintaining a straight face he currently has on. He doesn’t appreciate what the male has done but hey, he has no right to judge the model’s choice.

 

It’s their life.

 

“His name is Taeoh,” Kyungsu speaks with the same soft tone, causing her husband to glance at her again. She sends him a genuine smile, nodding her head as an encouragement. Jongin nearly crumbles with tears. He heads towards her with his weak legs, eyes set on the little bundle in her arms. “Kim Taeoh,” She states, catching Jongin’s attention again, “Say his name. Kim Taeoh.” Jongin’s lips trembles as they part, dropping his gaze down to the baby, “Kim… Kim Taeoh.”

 

Kyungsu nods with a teary smile, “D-Do you want to hold him?” Jongin swallows thickly, “Can I… ?” The woman passes the bundle of joy into his arms gingerly, witnessing a wide grin breaking her husband’s face. Taemin feels happy for them. A whine brings all of their attention to the girl he’s carrying. Taerin blinks cutely, her sleepy eyes never leaving the tall figure, “Papa… ?” Jongin isn’t able to contain the tears any longer.

 

Taemin carefully hoists her down and the girl barrels her way to her father’s legs. Jongin crouches down and welcomes her into his embrace. Jongin quietly keeps two of his children close, concealing his cries into his daughter’s neck, having a huge grin on his face. Kyungsu dabs her tears away with the back of her hands by the sweet sight. She then turns to her manager, unable to look into his eyes, “Thanks a lot. Um, do you want to stay here for the night… ?”

 

The pair has things to patch up so he refuses politely with a shake of his head. He waits by the van as the model approaches her husband. Her things are still inside. “Jongin?” Said male peers up to his standing wife. Wife. Does she still want to be his wife? He then remembers what to do. “Listen, Kyung,” He stands up, little Taerin lodged on his hip who has a death grip around him. The model waits patiently for him to speak.

 

Jongin advances a step closer, “I… An apology doesn’t seem to be right for what I’ve done. It’s totally unacceptable. I can’t believe I did that, I—” “Jongin, do you love me?” The smiling face of hers makes his heart skip a beat. Then, there’s warmth creeping up to his cheeks. He pecks on her lips, whispering his answer as he gazes into her surprised orbs, “I do.” Kyungsu carefully slips into his embrace, smiling with happy tears. Jongin buries his nose into his wife’s hair, feeling blissful.

 

///

 

“Good morning.”

 

Yifan whirls around and meets his smiling wife by the entrance of their bedroom. His neck feels warm as the kiss from yesterday replays out of nowhere. Yifan clears his throat, greets back awkwardly with a silent nod, resuming tying his stupid tie. “Need some help with that?” Junhee pops beside him with the same smile. Yifan’s shoulders drop with a defeated sigh. When Junhee stands right in front, he keeps his sight fixed at the collar of her deep violet blazer, trying to calm down his heartbeats as he glimpses at her occasionally.

 

She looks beautiful as always.

 

Her hair is half up half down, the fringe is in soft waves to the left side of her head. Yifan knows a little about makeup since he grew up watching his mother doing it. Sometimes he would be the victim of a face full of makeup. His mother still has the photograph and he hopes no one else will see it. There’s a pale cantaloupe yellow eye shadow on her eyelids, eyelash lightly tinted with mascara. He likes the light coral lipstick on her lips the most.

 

“All done,” Junhee smiles up to him prettily. Yifan tries his hardest to stifle in a blush. “About yesterday,” He seizes her hand before she can even walk away, his sight instantly casting downwards, “I, um…” Junhee acknowledges that he won’t be able to resume. Standing on her tiptoes, she plants a quick kiss on her husband’s mouth. Yifan blinks and she’s already by the doorframe, “We’ll be late. Let’s go.” He imitates the bright smile even though his cheeks are dusted in red.

 

///

 

Yifan can’t stop looking.

 

Even when he’s surrounded with the other HODs in a meeting.

 

“Is there anything else you would like to add, Director Wu?”

 

The question snaps Yifan out of his reverie. All eyes are on him now, expecting his reply. His wife, too, has an awaiting smile on her small lips. Lips. Yifan remembers the kiss from yesterday again. He stammers in an uncool way, “N-Nothing. Everything’s p-perfect.” Jackson bites back a teasing remark. It’s not only him who noticed it though. The Director hasn’t been paying attention to the large screen at all. Everyone in the room knows that.

 

“If that’s all, the meeting is dismissed.”

 

Yifan makes a beeline for the exit but the Deputy halts him by already standing in front of the door. “What’s the matter?” Yifan darts his gazes at the door, “It’s nothing…” Junhee shuts it while quirking an eyebrow towards him, “What is it?” Yifan gulps when his wife nears herself. He takes a step back, stuttering, “I-It’s really nothing—” “Why aren’t you looking at me?” She grabs his forearms in a gentle way, looking dead straight into his eyes.

 

He doesn’t want to be bedazzled right now.

 

“Is it me? Did I do something again?”

 

Yifan has his mouth shut.

 

“Is this how you’re going to be?”

 

Junhee knits her brows together disapprovingly when there’s still no response, “Silence won’t change anything, Yifan.” Said male finally returns to reality from staring at her. “I just… Yesterday… Um,” Yifan honestly doesn’t know how to start. “What about yes— Oh,” Junhee seems to understand what he’s implying. The light pink on the taller male’s cheekbones is the proof. She clears before smiling briefly, “What about yesterday?” Yifan is becoming more and more flustered.

 

“I don’t… I… I don’t know…”

 

“You don’t know what?”

 

Junhee is enjoying this so much but she feels a little bad for making her husband in this situation. She tries to a little by cradling his face, “What is it?” Yifan literally loses his breath. “Still not going to say anything?” Junhee tilts her head a little, looking sad. “Can I kiss you?” It’s Junhee’s turn to blush. Is that what he had in his head? “I’m sorry, that was— That was so sudden—” Junhee presses their lips together.

 

Yifan automatically closes his eyes, his own hands rising to conceal Junhee’s small ones. He tries to glide his mouth against hers like yesterday. Junhee’s digits shake with what, she doesn’t even know. This feeling is so new but she somehow likes it. They smile shyly once they pull away. “Is there anything else, Director Wu?” Yifan flushes furiously by the teasing look on his wife’s face, “N-Nothing, um, actually…”

 

“What is it?”

 

Junhee’s hands lower to his hips, staying put as she sets her attention on him. Yifan brings his vision to her eyes timidly, “Are you available this Saturday… ?” Junhee nearly bursts into giggles. Is her husband asking her out? “I’m not sure, Director Wu. I need to check my schedule,” She continues with her act but when Yifan’s expression falls drastically, she changes her answer, “On second thought, I can free my schedule just for you.”

 

The grin she receives is wonderful. She’s about to leave but she can’t move because of the hand on her back. “Yes?” Her husband doesn’t reply but he frames a side of her face tenderly, causing her to blink. “I really, really like you…” Junhee’s cheeks heat up profusely as her husband confesses with pure emotion. Her heart is beating a mile minute.

 

Her hands find their way to his broad shoulders unhurriedly. Their gazes are still locked until Junhee breaks it first by closing her eyes. She leans upwards and Yifan meets halfway. Junhee doesn’t know when but when her husband his head, goosebumps spread over her skin and she unintentionally grips hard onto his shoulders. Yifan parts away by surprise. Junhee immediately conceals her warm face into the taller’s chest.

 

Yifan doesn’t realize he has his face in red. His hands are settled on his wife’s waist as he calls with uncertainty, “Junhee?” The woman is unable to speak as she touches her lips with two of her fingers. Her heart feels like it’s going to leap out of her chest any moment now. Never has she thought kissing will make her feel so giddy. “Can we,” She pauses to peer up to her husband bashfully, “Can we make this a regular thing… ?”

 

Yifan honestly wants to kiss her again by how endearing she looks right now. “Y-Yes,” He stammers again, flushing harder as Junhee giggles into his chest. A silly smile forms on his mouth at that. Yifan hugs her dearly and Junhee does the same. She really likes her husband too. She’s too shy to say it out loud. Maybe she isn’t ready yet. This whole experience is so new so she wants them to explore this feeling together slowly, step by step, and side by side.

 

+++

 

“Jongin deserves to know the truth, don’t you think?”

 

Junhee asks once she buckles her seatbelt. “I think he should.” Junhee mulls in silence. Will her brother hate her for hiding it from him? “Do you want to visit him?” Junhee nods with a tensed smile before she fishes out her mobile device out of her handbag, sending a short text to her brother. “It’s okay,” Yifan holds her hand on a red light, hoping it will be a comfort, “Don’t think too much.” Junhee is grateful for his consolation.

 

His wife has revealed her concern about Jisoo being Jongin’s informant and Jongin not knowing a single thing about it. They’re on their way to Jongin’s house now. It’s nerve breaking because both know how Jongin is if he’s incredibly mad. He will lose control. Yifan ends up lacing their fingers together, their hands settled on his wife’s lap. They hope all will go smoothly despite the news they’re going to bring.

 

///

 

“Jongin, Jisoo has been your anonymous informant.”

 

In a split second, the younger male’s face transforms to fury but he isn’t able to speak a word since he’s carrying his son. Baby Taeoh gurgles to take his father’s attention but it’s no use. Jongin is so angry. He takes deep breaths as his sister calms him down while slowly explaining the details from the beginning till the end. Yifan’s attention has been swept away the moment the little girl has taken her seat on his lap.

 

She was quite reluctant to approach him at first but as soon as he greeted her with sweet treats, Taerin has warmed up to him greatly. He plays with her fingers with a happy grin on his face, the toddler emitting occasional high-pitched giggles, her eyes glimmering with wonder on how large his hands are. She then shyly requests to read the storybooks her parents have bought for her and Yifan is more than happy to comply.

 

Jongin rambles out of anger after Junhee is finished, “The person I hate the most… He’s been giving me info? How’s that possible? It can’t be, noona. What the actual f—” Junhee fakes out a cough, signalling the dozing Taeoh. Jongin mumbles a small sorry. She then sighs, picking up where they left off, “I don’t know either, Jongin. I was completely fooled ever since from the start. I feel so sick just thinking about it…”

 

“Don’t be. Everyone makes mistakes.”

 

“Well, this has to be the worst mistake I’ve done. I should’ve never trusted him.”

 

“Let’s put it aside now, yeah? I don’t want to think about it anymore. I’m happy now that Kyung is home. Thanks for telling me anyway.”

 

“Dinner is ready,” Kyungsu politely interrupts with a pat on Junhee’s shoulder. Junhee thanks her. She’s about to call for her husband when the trio spots Yifan carrying the hyper Taerin in his arms. Jongin is quite taken aback that his daughter has opened up to someone who’s not him and Taemin. Yifan’s eyes meet Junhee’s. Both share a shy smile. Jongin and Kyungsu switch silent looks. They head together to the dining area with silence.

 

///

 

“Can I ask you something?”

 

Yifan’s heart thumps fast for no reason. “No need to be all nervous,” Junhee sits next to him after slipping under the covers, “Just one question and we’re done, okay?” Yifan gives her a noiseless nod. “How do I even start… Hm,” Junhee gathers her hair to the front and twirls the end with a finger, “I saw you with Taerin.” Yifan nods again, feeling the anxiety returning. Does she not like him spending time with her brother’s daughter?

 

“Do you… Um,” Junhee is the one who feels anxious now, “Do you want to have children?” Yifan nearly has a coughing fit. Bewildered, he gapes at his wife until Junhee is flustered. “I mean, i-it’s not that I want one. For now. Ugh, how do I even say this in the right way?” Yifan notes how the lady rambles. She’s as tensed as he is. Yifan clutches her hand and grips it dearly, smiling down at her, “It’s okay. You didn’t say anything wrong.”

 

“Really?”

 

He squeezes their hands as an affirmation. “Okay… I said my part. How about you?” Yifan doesn’t have to think. It’s just he was so taken aback by the question. “I feel the same as you.” Junhee’s brows draw upwards briefly out of surprise, “How come?” Yifan relaxes against her side as he answers, “First of all, we don’t know each other that well yet… So I don’t think we can go straight to children. It’s not that I don’t want one. For now. You know what I’m saying, don’t you?”

 

Junhee chuckles silently, “Of course. I just said the same thing earlier.” Yifan heaves out a breath of relief. Both are mutual about this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter